Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Allinall wrote: »
    It wasn’t a protest, apparently.

I heard from a reliable source that there was about 500 there.

A reliable source that can't count?:confused:

https://www.facebook.com/SolidarityTimes/videos/1922152441425346/?hc_ref=ARSh7g31xaw7s3Mj9Ngqz0_bCuzKuntgqietjRcyiEkYRVEWpSP1R0XPBOK7raoG1WY&__xts__

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

"I’m a local and there was no “lockdown”.

I was able to go and return twice by car."

I'm also local and no one in my area has been allowed to drive outside of a short window earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Why would you bother though? If people want to go so what? Let them on. Yes the church did awful things in the past but if people want to go and celebrate mass with the pope let them on. People are on about the waste of money that the whole thing was but if they honestly believe that the money would have been spent on something useful they are more niave than I thought? We currently have MASSIVE social problems in this country and attending a mass in the Phoenix park is nowhere near the top of the list. Why are people not out protesting against waiting lists? Children who are waiting years for operations/therapies? The trolley crisis? The homeless crisis? The housing crisis? The government have so much more to answer for currently in this country than an 81 year old man. People really need to wake up about is actually going on in this country today???!!! It doesn't mean that the church shouldn't answer for what they have done in the past but many people have been abused in one way or another from other members of society includong their own family members over the years so it's not only the church who has questions to answer here.

Hello, whataboutery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Oh Jeepers is that all, poor COG will be crying into his cornflakes.
    Lovely, the pope asks for forgiveness for what was done to children by the church - his followers still mock them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Striking me as more than 500 from any of the images I'm seeing..
    https://twitter.com/1GaryGannon/status/1033746915446415361

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Oh Jeepers is that all, poor COG will be crying into his cornflakes.

Have a look at the Irish Examiner. COG is quite happy with the thousands that turned out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

harr wrote: »
    They have half a million pieces of bread for the communion and 8000 to give it out..that’s a lot of waste

I never thought about what they do with any of the communion that isn't taken at mass. Surely you can't just dump bits of Jesus into the bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

Varta wrote: »
    "I’m a local and there was no “lockdown”.

I was able to go and return twice by car."

I'm also local and no one in my area has been allowed to drive outside of a short window earlier.

no it was a massive lock down, and residents were made virtual prisoners in their own homes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

His tweets are always a joy to read. :D

I don’t agree with the whole business of protestors block-booking tickets but it’s not fraud. Tickets can be booked and not used.

Particularly as a ticket to the pope meant you got free travel. Had I known that I would've booked a at least a few for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Strazdas wrote: »
    Brenda Power was on Sky News earlier and said comparisons with 1979 are probably very unfair anyway. An attendance of 1m or 1.5m people in one place was an absolute freakish and one off event in Irish history and everything would suffer in comparison.

In 2018, there is nothing whatsoever that would make 1m or 1.5m people gather in one place in Dublin : religious, atheist or anything else.
    It wasn't a freak, one-off occurrence. It was a sign of the times and if it had happened in 1981 or 1977 the turnout would have been similar. Times have simply changed, and despite the population being about 50% bigger now than in '79 (3.3mn-ish vs 4.8mn-ish) the turnout is so much lower due to the fact that most of us are done with the Church being a part of our lives. This should be a sign that it is time to remove the schooling element as it has led to wildly inaccurate demographics as to how many Catholics there are in this country.

Very, very few things would draw in such a crowd as 1979, but if for example Ireland won the football World Cup I would expect to see close to, or possibly even higher, numbers in the city centre to celebrate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Why would you bother though? If people want to go so what? Let them on. Yes the church did awful things in the past but if people want to go and celebrate mass with the pope let them on. People are on about the waste of money that the whole thing was but if they honestly believe that the money would have been spent on something useful they are more niave than I thought? We currently have MASSIVE social problems in this country and attending a mass in the Phoenix park is nowhere near the top of the list. Why are people not out protesting against waiting lists? Children who are waiting years for operations/therapies? The trolley crisis? The homeless crisis? The housing crisis? The government have so much more to answer for currently in this country than an 81 year old man. People really need to wake up about is actually going on in this country today???!!! It doesn't mean that the church shouldn't answer for what they have done in the past but many people have been abused in one way or another from other members of society includong their own family members over the years so it's not only the church who has questions to answer here.

And keep in mind the Irish state itself was mistreating women and children in the past, often with extreme harshness and zero compassion. Using the logic of the protesters, we should all be boycotting the Irish state itself and regarding it as rancid and corrupt for past and current crimes .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭Allinall

no it was a massive lock down, and residents were made virtual prisoners in their own homes

I disagree.

I was able to go and return, twice by car.

There was no lockdown.

it's very strange - if the journal figures are to be believed, 500,000 tickets were booked, and yet 370,000 people didn't turn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Ganleys mention of ticket fraud is laughable
    This is not intended as a shot at Catholics in general whatsoever, but Ganley is a perfect example of the type that has no moral compass nor sense of decency or honesty that hides behind the 'man of god' facade like the coward that he is. As an individual, he is pond scum and nothing more.

I disagree.

I was able to go and return, twice by car.

There was no lockdown.

no, it was forced imprisonment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Which must be very frustrating for the protesters. All that effort and it was never going to be a full house anyway....became an empty gesture.

Hardly. Lots of publicity & an even more empty event

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I thought only 300k tickets were booked not 500k?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

road_high wrote: »
    I’m hardly pro RCC but that was actually a very nasty, petty stunt. Let people go if they wanted to. They mightn’t have wanted to go but no point blocking others from doing so

It didn't block anyone. Lots of tickets left

Billy86 wrote: »
    This is not intended as a shot at Catholics in general whatsoever, but Ganley is a perfect example of the type that has no moral compass nor sense of decency or honesty that hides behind the 'man of god' facade like the coward that he is. As an individual, he is pond scum and nothing more.

very decent of you, Ganley is English scum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

And keep in mind the Irish state itself was mistreating women and children in the past, often with extreme harshness and zero compassion. Using the logic of the protesters, we should all be boycotting the Irish state itself and regarding it as rancid and corrupt for past and current crimes .
    Are the Irish state still not mistreating children?? 18 month waiting list for speech therapy? The same for occupational therapy? Underfunded schools?

• Advertisement

no, it was forced imprisonment.

No it wasn’t.

Residents were able to come and go as they pleased.

I thought only 300k tickets were booked not 500k?

journal.ie claims 500,000 were booked out and 130,000 attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

"They all flew in from abroad, that's why the referendum passed"

" they booked all the tickets so we couldn't go"

****ing hell the whinging . No acceptamce of truth and reality (which fits in with the belief system in fairness)

I don't remember hearing any reports during the week of 350,000 people being stuck for tickets. Suffering in silence were They?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Billy86 wrote: »
    Very, very few things would draw in such a crowd as 1979, but if for example Ireland won the football World Cup I would expect to see close to, or possibly even higher, numbers in the city centre to celebrate.

Considering that in Limerick, a county with a population of 195k, had 120k turn out for an All-Ireland win. I'd say it's safe to say that an Irish men's soccer world cup win could see crowds way, way in (proportional) excess of anything seen in 1979.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

journal.ie claims 500,000 were booked out and 130,000 attended.

shame on every single one of them

eviltwin wrote: »
    shame on every single one of them

Agreed, I hope there is a way of tracing the intolerant scum that did attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

No it wasn’t.

Residents were able to come and go as they pleased.

You couldn't drive your pollution-spewing people-wagon/'d4' tractor about for a few hrs and were reduced to the shanks mare so it was a 'forced imprisonment' from a certain point of view!:pac:

I hope there is a way of tracing the scum that did attend.

For what purpose ?

For what purpose ?

at the very least to shame them and their families in the future

• Advertisement

at the very least to shame them and their families in the future

Shame? How?

And why bring their families into it?

Advertisement