Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

amdublin wrote: »
    The Halfway House is open. Walk up for a carvery!

That involves walking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I have just read on Independent.ie that Pope Francis was not aware of the mother and baby homes and the savagery therein until he met the survivors yesterday evening.

Well them he's an incompetent leader because that's his ****ing job

• Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭billyhead

How do we know that some of these allegations of child abuse are actually true. Its an easy way to make money if the accused is dead and cant speak up for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I have just read on Independent.ie that Pope Francis was not aware of the mother and baby homes and the savagery therein until he met the survivors yesterday evening.

Just like no one knew about the concentration camps...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Dick Pickle

Slattsy wrote: »
    I'm all for a Papal visit, and living near the PP, but one thing I didn't take into account is that I can't get a Chinese tonight, none of them are delivering.

People’s ability to cook for themselves is nonexistent these days. No wonder we are a nation of fatholes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

billyhead wrote: »
    How do we know that some of these allegations of child abuse are actually true. Its an easy way to make money if the accused is dead and cant speak up for himself.

Clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Graces7 wrote: »
    "Where two or three are gathered in My Name I am with them." Jesus Christ . I was there in spirit on RTE and it was a magnificent, joyful and uplifting occasion. I wish I could have been there in person. There were crowds there, wonderful crowds. Great numbers.

At Knock, earlier, there were 45,000, a capacity attendance... strong sincere folk with joy in their hearts; lots of families.

The atmosphere was sheer joy and sincere.

Please excuse me now? Very, very unwell but happy at the day. So over and out from here.

Hi Graces7. How are things. Just wondering if you could elaborate on the following delightful comment from the other day. Specifically on how us gossips are worse than child rapists. Thanks.
    Graces7 wrote: »
    This kind of bashing is never the truth. It is warped and distorted and serves no positive purpose

read one eyed jack;s balanced and accurate post.

I rarely come to this thread for that reason. the gossips are worse than the abusers as they revel in what they are at. stir, stir, stir with never a thought for truth

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

billyhead wrote: »

False allegations are a possibility but only because there are thousands of genuine ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Lots of attendance triumphalism from people who don't seem to want people to have freedom, so I'm at a loss to know what they believe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Shouldn't he have informed himself before he arrived in Ireland?
    It's not like he wasn't expecting any controversy or anything. And he's got advisers, I assume.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

volchitsa wrote: »
    Shouldn't he have informed himself before he arrived in Ireland?
    It's not like he wasn't expecting any controversy or anything. And he's got advisers, I assume.

It was all over the Irish media and also aspects of the international media, notably American outlets like CNN, ahead of the visit.

All he had to do was browse around. A very minor bit of googling would get you to the whole story, including official state reports, which are all online.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Lots of triumphalism from people who don't seem to want people to have freedom, so I'm at a loss to know what they believe in.

People don't want people to have the freedom to rape children and get away with it. Whats the issue with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Where did all the tickets go? 500,000 for phoenix Park and only 130,000 used. Can't understand people that would claim tickets and not use them. Preventing others from going is petty.

Charma. Won't bring them any luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Where did all the tickets go? 500,000 for phoenix Park and only 130,000 used. Can't understand people that would claim tickets and not use them. Preventing others from going is petty.

Luck ? Are we going to replace the CC with fairies & walking under ladders ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think it's more to do with the horrible weather out there today and the warnings that people faced a 6k hike before getting to the park.

Nobody prevented anyone from going. Tickets didn't sell out during the availability period. Anybody that wanted to go could have got a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,283 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Pffft are you seriously trying to claim that 370k tickets were picked up by objectors?

Sure the thing was never a sell out even with the objectors so anyone who wanted a ticket got a ticket.

Better for you to deal with the reality of a waning organisation rather than delude yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Wrong, every nun and priest in the country knew there were bad things going on the the laundries and industrial schools. They're all guilty of doing nothing

The majority of the people in the country knew there were bad things going on in the laundries and industrial schools.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    People don't want people to have the freedom to rape children and get away with it. Whats the issue with that?

You should get a job with a tabloid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Watched the news and some woman said we obviously didn’t get the weather we were all praying for.....

I think there is a lot of insanity still rampant in the island of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

There were loads of tickets going around despite some hoarding them in protest.

I’m no expert but surely the concept of Karma is incompatible with Catholic teachings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

The numbers of protest tickets got was small in fairness...no way in hell over 300,000 tickets were taken in protest.
    Tickets were freely available all week even up to last night..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭billyhead

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Clown.

Your a bigger clown yourself if you believe every thing you hear or read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

And an English man translating for the holy father. Jaysus almighty, would ya ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

The tickets were pulled when the time limit expired. If people did not get a ticket it's because they didn't try get one in time.
    Nobody was prevented from going.
    ANYONE who wanted a ticket could have got one.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

EdgeCase wrote: »
    How the hell anyone in their right mind could have thought what was going on in industrial schools and the laundries was right is beyond comprehension. They’re were gulags, plain and simple

Then you’d the mother and baby homes - where do you even start with that? Abuses, forced adoptions, child trafficking, huge mortality rates...

Then the clerical child abuse itself and it was compounded by coverups.

How anyone who knew what these things were and what was going on could stand idly by and let people suffer like that is just beyond me.

Of course people are bitter towards the church. You’d have to do an incredible amount of mental and moral gymnastics not to be!

The abuses were not only limited to the industrial schools and the magdalene laundries but also the boys school for the Deaf in Cabra, just around the corner from where the mass took place. It was the only residential school named in the Ryan report.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Discodog wrote: »
    Luck ? Are we going to replace the CC with fairies & walking under ladders ?

I just don't understand people taking tickets and not using them. Tickets sold out weeks ago. It's a strange way to protest, taking ticket and wasting them.

timthumbni wrote: »
    Watched the news and some woman said we obviously didn’t get the weather we were all praying for.....

I think there is a lot of insanity still rampant in the island of Ireland.

Just worry about your own country. Seeing as they account for a very high majority of the insanity on this island.

Patww79 wrote: »
    You should get a job with a tabloid.

What? Does the phrase rape children make you feel uncomfortable or something? That's what these priests did and is what the church is continuing to help cover up.

Sorry if the hard truths make you uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I just don't understand people taking tickets and not using them. Tickets sold out weeks ago. It's a strange way to protest, taking ticket and wasting them.

They didn't sell out

Advertisement