Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

A man must love his wife as he loves his own body.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Embarrassing visit by the Pope. I have seen larger crowds in a field!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I got married in a registry office and only step foot inside a church for a wedding or funeral. The kids won't be raised catholic.

But there are an awful lot of people who are no longer catholic but have their children baptised/confirmed because of schools.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

murpho999 wrote: »
    That's most of the area. Why would't those spaces be full?

It isnt. They were given tickets for designated areas. They've got a lot of the park setup for this. From what i saw driving through last week. They've areas in The sports pitches, chesterfield avenue and along chapelizod gates. That picture is only showing 1 third of the crowd area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

Has there been any figure for how many protest tickets were taken up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It isnt. They were given tickets for designated areas. They've got a lot of the park setup for this. From what i saw driving through last week. They've areas in The sports pitches, centerfield avenue and along chapelizod gates. That picture is only showing 1 third of the crowd area.

In that case how unchristian to not let the people fill the empty spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

A lot empty seats in the closer VIP areas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Wheety wrote: »
    I got married in a registry office and only step foot inside a church for a wedding or funeral. The kids won't be raised catholic.

But there are an awful lot of people who are no longer catholic but have their children baptised/confirmed because of schools.
    This, I live in a rural location and only had the choice of one school for my kids and that school required a baptismal cert for the kids to attend.
    We are not a mass going family and I really don’t like the religious aspect of my child’s education and they don’t have a proper opt out option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ach stop. You are looking at it all.

Map_850x445_WEB4.jpg

I saw it all being built up over the last week in those other areas I mentioned...

All in asking, is are they really showing you everything. I'm not trying to skew the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,699 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I saw it all being built up over the last week in those other areas I mentioned...

All in asking, is are they really showing you everything. I'm not trying to skew the numbers.

I think it is stretch to say there are people further away than some in the pic.

highly unlikely.

• Advertisement

harr wrote: »
    This, I live in a rural location and only had the choice of one school for my kids and that school required a baptismal cert for the kids to attend.
    We are not a mass going family and I really don’t like the religious aspect of my child’s education and they don’t have a proper opt out option.

It’s very out of sync with reality but the church won’t give up that stranglehold very easily.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Has there been any figure for how many protest tickets were taken up?

Not so many to cause the low turnout. Parishes who made block bookings couldn't use up all the tickets they had. There were still 1000s of tickets being made available all through the week with no real take-up rate. I know some people who just decided last week to go when they were offered tickets and were told there was loads of places if they knew others who wanted to go along.

That area in picture is all the pens they were using, no more holding areas further out. I really don’t know why they can’t move people up to fill all pens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

They’re not going to leave people in the extremities if there’s plenty of space near the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Have they shown anywhere else around the park? Only about 1/3 of the space for attendees is by the cross.

Second time you claimed that falsehood.

iguana wrote: »
    Not so many to cause the low turnout. Parishes who made block bookings couldn't use up all the tickets they had. There were still 1000s of tickets being made available all through the week with no real take-up rate. I know some people who just decided last week to go when they were offered tickets and were told there was loads of places if they knew others who wanted to go along.
    My parish had 3 buses going initially and they had names to fill those quiet quick...that was down to two buses last week, in the end one full bus rolled out this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Taytoland wrote: »
    Embarrassing visit by the Pope. I have seen larger crowds in a field!

They are in a field. Well it's not a field really, but it has less rocks than most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Turnout of 130,000 being claimed on thejournal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DliCJICXsAITwLc.jpg

Pic showing the entire area shows a poor turnout. You can only assume the poor weather caused a huge amount of people to stay at home

I think it is stretch to say there are people further away than some in the pic.

highly unlikely.

The overhead pics captured the lot. There aren’t any hidden hoardes we can’t see!

• Advertisement

Tzardine wrote: »

That’s brutal if true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

iguana wrote: »

My folks had 6 tickets for Knock and could not offload the extra four. I offered two to my parents-in-law and they declined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

That's probably about right.

Can you imagine the numbers the next time a pope pays a visit when most of this crowd are well dead and buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Have they shown anywhere else around the park? Only about 1/3 of the space for attendees is by the cross.

Yeah the missing 350000 is in those spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

road_high wrote: »
    That’s brutal if true

In 79, over 1 million people turned up. About 35% of the whole country.

If it is 130,000 today then thats 2.7%, and that includes everybody involved in the event.

That says it all really. What would it be in another 40 years when the current group of older people die off. The Pope could probably not fill a Starbucks then.

harr wrote: »
    Can you imagine the numbers the next time a pope pays a visit when most of this crowd are well dead and buried.

I thought there was a lot of kids/young teens. But very lacking I’d say in the sat 15-45 age range!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Oh well

road_high wrote: »
    I thought there was a lot of kids/young teens. But very lacking I’d say in the sat 15-45 age range!
    Yes very few teenagers and younger ones being dragged along for a day out, seen a good few with babies as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,699 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Obviously using the same method of calculation as me. :D

Advertisement