Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,683 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Roen wrote: »
    Got a tonne of the EG small ovoids delivered last week. Ordered online. Dear alright. €378 I think it came to or maybe it was €385 as stated.

I also have about a half tonne of the CW large ovoids left. I haven't lit the fire yet so can't compare.....I will soon though.

Compare the look, the bag, the coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

I was having my chimney cleaned and the amount of tar in the back of the stove flue surprised me. I mean a huge amount.

It was coal tar, not wood creosote. In all my years using my stove I never had this problem.

Thankfully I keep a record of all fuels I buy and burn. I don't want to bad mouth a supplier online but I won't be using them again. All I will say is that it wasn't the smokeless ovoids from Kosy King that caused the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

lenscap wrote: »
    I was having my chimney cleaned and the amount of tar in the back of the stove flue surprised me. I mean a huge amount.

It was coal tar, not wood creosote. In all my years using my stove I never had this problem.

Thankfully I keep a record of all fuels I buy and burn. I don't want to bad mouth a supplier online but I won't be using them again. All I will say is that it wasn't the smokeless ovoids from Kosy King that caused the problem.

So that leave two other suppliers
    care to say which other one it Wasn't ??:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sav88

Hi, has anyone used any of kosy kings anthracite, or does anyone recommend a good quality anthracite. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

Did anyone use SureFire Wood . They sell cosyflame ovids@ £6.60 per 20kg they are based in NI .
    www.surefirewood.com/product-page/smokeless-coal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

vectra wrote: »
    So that leave two other suppliers
    care to say which other one it Wasn't ??:P

Ho ordered Easyglo last October....

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Ho ordered Easyglo last October....

Hmm,
    Got 2 tonne from them last year and noticed no out of the ordinary tar.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Ordered from Easyglow last year too. Shame about the prices going up. Was going to order again this year .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Hmm,
    Got 2 tonne from them last year and noticed no out of the ordinary tar.:confused:

Same, it was quality.

Same, it was quality.

Did you get the small or large ovoids?
    I loved the small ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Did you get the small or large ovoids?
    I loved the small ones.

The small ones yeah. I was very impressed with them, great in the stove.

The small ones yeah. I was very impressed with them, great in the stove.

I only have a backboiler with a door on it, but decent job though, Definitely improves the heating, but seriously considering tearing it out and putting a proper stove in there instead, or even go a step further and fit a wood pellet boiler stove int here. ( costly though )
    Would like to read any users opinions on them if possible?
    Or is there another forum with some info on it I could read?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mechatronical

Hi all, new to this thread. What would the recommendation be for coal for an open fire? What would be popular around our area would be black diamond but I dont see it mentioned much in this thread. Is there a reason for this or is there an equivalent coal thats just as good at a lower price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

I used the large Ovoids from Easyglo last year as I have a bloody monster of a stove and they were excellent. No cyclinders left at the end and gave off great heat. I’d recommend them again. Just a shame about the difference in price between there and Kosykings .

• Registered Users Posts: 35,683 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Are KosyKuntz selling same Ovoids as Easyglo . What are differences

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I was using super therm ovoids last winter and found them very good €18 for a 40kg bag delivered
    Does anyone know if coal warehouse ovoids would be similar ?

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

I found the CW ovoids better, went to ash completely, some cinders left from the supertherm
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    I was using super therm ovoids last winter and found them very good €18 for a 40kg bag delivered
    Does anyone know if coal warehouse ovoids would be similar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

funnyname wrote: »
    I found the CW ovoids better, went to ash completely, some cinders left from the supertherm

Thanks for the reply
    I didn’t have anything left in my stove after using the supertherm ovoids but if you say they are better then that’s good enough for me to take the plunge
    I was combining ovoids and coal briquettes and was getting great heat.

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

How much is delivery these days from coalwarehouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    How much is delivery these days from coalwarehouse?

60 pounds

• Advertisement

I bought 3 bags of supertherm today, €56 so based on buying a ton in the north it will be a saving of over €125, not to be sniffed at. I use logs as well as the coal, I throw a bucket of coal into the stove then I light the logs above that and refill for the logs depending on how long I've the fire going for.
    OmegaGene wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply
    I didn’t have anything left in my stove after using the supertherm ovoids but if you say they are better then that’s good enough for me to take the plunge
    I was combining ovoids and coal briquettes and was getting great heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

CW have put up a notice today on FB:

"Please note we have been informed by one of your regular couriers Liam Connolly Road Freight that from 1st September the new price for your coal to be collected here and delivered anywhere in ROI will be £60 + VAT + 5% Fuel Surcharge which is £75.60 at today's exchange rate will be €85-87 per tonne....Please note there are other couriers out there we do not mind who collects the coal on your behalf we just want our customers to get the best value possible."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

chasm wrote: »

"Please note we have been informed by one of your regular couriers Liam Connolly Road Freight that from 1st September the new price for your coal to be collected here and delivered anywhere in ROI will be £60 + VAT + 5% Fuel Surcharge which is £75.60 at today's exchange rate will be €85-87 per tonne....Please note there are other couriers out there we do not mind who collects the coal on your behalf we just want our customers to get the best value possible."

That’s making it a lot more expensive if you go with Connolly.
    Does anyone have a list of companies that are fairly ok on price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

naughto wrote: »

A few people have asked on their FB page and CW have responded "We are trying to get alternative couriers at the moment, but your best bet is to try local couriers in your area or county"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

You aren't going with Connolly you are going with The Pallet Network tpn.ie

Connolly are the hauliers that cover that area they pick up and drop off at a TPN hub and another company takes it to the local hub and then probably a third brings it to your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

my3cents wrote: »

You aren't going with Connolly you are going with The Pallet Network tpn.ie

Connolly are the hauliers that cover that area they pick up and drop off at a TPN hub and another company takes it to the local hub and then probably a third brings it to your door.

Yeah...I guess that is what happened to mine.
    The pallet was delivered damaged...like it had been through the wars..although ordered through Liam Connelly, was delivered by Damien Desmond couriers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

chasm wrote: »

That’s a loopy price increase, good luck

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

That price increase read like its intended to discourage customers using them to haul coal.

6541 wrote: »
    That price increase read like its intended to discourage customers using them to haul coal.

Sounds like theirs costs are bigger due to the size of the chain wrt getting it to customers here, especially if there 3 hauliers being used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

With the increase in haulage cost, I can get a ton of ovoids cheaper locally.

Advertisement