Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

vectra wrote: »
    They normally do 2 bags Supertherm for €38
    Good coal, = €38 / 4 = €9 per 20kg.
    As far as I am aware they do a deal on a tonne of regular coal so no harm in asking.
    Now that delivery etc has risen from the north,
    Event from Easy glow
    Last year I paid €380 tonne / 50 = €7.60 per bag.
    If Coop did a bit of a deal then maybe knock another 50c or €1 per bag off, Brings the price down a bit while shopping local.

Tried all that with the coop they aren't interested but a local builders merchants are quite happy to knock at least 50cent a bag off and often a euro when I get ten bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

my3cents wrote: »
    Tried all that with the coop they aren't interested but a local builders merchants are quite happy to knock at least 50cent a bag off and often a euro when I get ten bags.

Local as in ???

Local as in ???

Dungarvan, I take a trailer in and buy 10 bags at a time.

I've used coal warehouse a few times and its much cheaper and handier with the 20kg bags but the drivers won't come down my road and leave my coal on the main road so I have to get someone out to guard it while I'm moving it.

my3cents wrote: »
    Dungarvan, I take a trailer in and buy 10 bags at a time.

I've used coal warehouse a few times and its much cheaper and handier with the 20kg bags but the drivers won't come down my road and leave my coal on the main road so I have to get someone out to guard it while I'm moving it.

Just on to friend there.
    CO-OP coal saver deals starting tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Wonder would the local Co-op do a deal on a tonne ?

I know for briquttes they work out about the same when the offer come on in October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I know for briquttes they work out about the same when the offer come on in October.

Try the coal briquettes from star fuels they last much longer and better heat from them too

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Try the coal briquettes from star fuels they last much longer and better heat from them too

I was told these only really work if you have a stove. So we didn't bother with them.

I was told these only really work if you have a stove. So we didn't bother with them.

The person that told me about them has an open fire and he swears by them and ovoids mixed, I use both in the stove and cut my fuel bill from €40 a week to €10 a week.
    Herself went crazy when I bought a stove but it paid for itself in no time.

The person that told me about them has an open fire and he swears by them and ovoids mixed, I use both in the stove and cut my fuel bill from €40 a week to €10 a week.
    Herself went crazy when I bought a stove but it paid for itself in no time.

I'd probably look into them. Are they expensive?(can't remember)
    We've a family member who believes stoves are bad because they make a room very smoky.(don't ask)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We've a family member who believes stoves are bad because they make a room very smoky.(don't ask)

They will make a room smokey if the flue is not sealed

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,682 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I can imagine people who live in the sticks or up the hills on roads with grass in the middle order coal from CW, and I can see why the shipping has gone up, as those addresses would drive any courier insane, especially trucks that ideally should not be on those roads.

Less smoke here since the stove came in

slave1 wrote: »
    They will make a room smokey if the flue is not sealed
    Less smoke here since the stove came in

Without a doubt I know this. They insist on it tough. When they get something into there head tough. It's hard to convince them otherwise.

I can imagine people who live in the sticks or up the hills on roads with grass in the middle order coal from CW, and I can see why the shipping has gone up, as those addresses would drive any courier insane, especially trucks that ideally should not be on those roads.

It makes no difference the its local drivers that cover the area anyway that make the actual delivery.

They are €11 a bale I think but it’s a 25kg bale and they last much longer than turf ones

The coal is handled by 3 companies from what I’ve gathered here and the local fella is the one dropping it off

They are €11 a bale I think but it’s a 25kg bale and they last much longer than turf ones

I can't picture what they look like
    do you have any photo of them?

I can't picture what they look like
    do you have any photo of them?

The big bale in the pic here

https://en.brikett-rekord.com

Sure looks like them, star fuels call them coal briquettes I’ve no idea what lignite is, three of them in my stove will burn for 6 hours and I add ovoids later on
    Works great for me anyway

• Advertisement

Lignite is a poor quality brown coal.

On a heat scale turf would be at the bottom of the list then lignite coal then ordinary coal with anthracite at the top of the list. Then you have pet coke a by product of the petroleum industry which burns way to hot on its own and is used in blends to improve them and in ovoids and other composite fuels.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Open fire with an appropiate chimney and ventilation draws a huge amount of air which in turn draws fresh air into the home diluting the polluted air in the home, there are large studies that show that pm2. 5 concentrations are higher with a stove than an open fire as a result. A smoker in the house is a worse offender than either on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,682 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What is rate of tax on smokeless coal, is it same as any coal 52.00 a ton, and do people actually pay that, those bringing down truck loads from N.I .

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Connrang

What is rate of tax on smokeless coal, is it same as any coal 52.00 a ton, and do people actually pay that, those bringing down truck loads from N.I .

Arigna Ecobrite being sold locally for €455 per ton (ex tax is €400.88) so works out at €54.12 per ton

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Has anybody had any luck sourcing a more competitive price than Liam Connolly for delivery?

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    Has anybody had any luck sourcing a more competitive price than Liam Connolly for delivery?

A poster on their FB page said Warde Transport quoted €72 delivery to Co Mayo. Not sure if that is Warde Groupage from Newry?

Edit: It is Warde Groupage, another poster got delivery to Waterford for €72 as well.

Edit 2: CW are putting up their prices from 17th Sept, by €25/30 per tonne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Going to order from Easyglo at the end of the month at got a ton of the large ovidis last year and they were very good. Anyone get some recently, and if so is the quality still good?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

chasm wrote: »
    A poster on their FB page said Warde Transport quoted €72 delivery to Co Mayo. Not sure if that is Warde Groupage from Newry?

Edit: It is Warde Groupage, another poster got delivery to Waterford for €72 as well.

Edit 2: CW are putting up their prices from 17th Sept, by €25/30 per tonne

That’s that then will def not be worth it if cow put up there prices as well as transport going up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭randombar

With coalwarehouse, or open fires, would people get the polish coal or upgrade to columbian (For an open fire).

We use ovoids and singles in the stove and they're fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

sad to hear about the big increase in shipping costs so hopefully C.W come up with another courier

Question: Last year I ordered a tonne of Black Diamond for my mother which turned out to be of very bad quality and in fairness the C.W acknowledged this, but I need to order another tonne of coal for an open fire (no back boiler) so anyone ordered a coal to suit that they're happy with from C.W?

thanks in advance

Advertisement