Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

my3cents wrote: »
    But what is stove coal? imo any coal that isn't smokeless isn't stove coal. Also again imo anything branded stove coal tends to be cheap rubbish. I can't say that every brand sold as stove coal is useless but its never going to produce as much heat as say ovoids or anthracite.

Ovoids fall into the bracket of stove coal at most fuel merchants
    So do all the anthracite

The internet isn’t for everyone

Nettle wrote: »
    Sorry I should have said it is a stove coal that I am burning in it.

If you put wood on top of the likes of ovoids it will make the ovoids burn quicker and crumble from my experience
    To use up my stock pile of wood I wait until I just have embers left and throw on a block or two of wood towards the end of the night if it’s not too cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Ovoids fall into the bracket of stove coal at most fuel merchants
    So do all the anthracite

You can also get what some suppliers just call "Stove Coal" no idea what it is but it can be rubbish and I was concerned that might be the sort of thing that Nettle was burning.

Also a good chance that the boiler is maxed out on rads so is having to work too hard to heat them.

You can also get what some suppliers just call "Stove Coal" no idea what it is but it can be rubbish and I was concerned that might be the sort of thing that Nettle was burning.

Also a good chance that the boiler is maxed out on rads so is having to work too hard to heat them.

Oh the bags that just say stove coal would be pure muck
    The decent branded ovoids etc are well worth the money

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Irishs12

Oh the bags that just say stove coal would be pure muck
    The decent branded ovoids etc are well worth the money

Generally 'STOVE COAL' is just overpriced polish doubles.
    You are dead right about the branded ovoids,way better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Interesting last couple of posts. I’ve always burned Ovoids in my duel fuel stove . I’d start the fire off with some sticks , fire lighters , B Cosy briquettes and some hard wood and then when it heats up I throw the ovids on.

Is that the best way to be doing it or am I doing something wrong? Open to suggestions as I’m still learning with the stove . It’s a big 30km one which has a back boiler.

I use the EasyGlow Ovoids .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Am I missing some easy way to open the bags of coal. I run a knife along the stitching but every now and then it goes astray and make it a pain to empty the bag into buckets.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Am I missing some easy way to open the bags of coal. I run a knife along the stitching but every now and then it goes astray and make it a pain to empty the bag into buckets.

Looking at the writing on the bag if you just cut then end off on your left and then pull the end then the stitching will just unstitch.

Its a knack and you often have to pick out a couple of stitches and then find the end to pull for it to open easily but worth the effort.

Now the bag could have gone through the machine the wrong way but normally the left hand end as you are facing the writing on the bag is the right one. If that fails try the other end.

Kat1170 wrote: »

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.instructables.com/id/Opening-a-string-sealed-bag-without-scissors/%3famp_page=true

I find it easier to cut the excess off then find the end again at the end of the first stitch.

• Advertisement

I find it easier to cut the excess off then find the end again at the end of the first stitch.

It’s an option if you can’t find anything to cut it with

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nettle

my3cents wrote:
    But what is stove coal? imo any coal that isn't smokeless isn't stove coal. Also again imo anything branded stove coal tends to be cheap rubbish. I can't say that every brand sold as stove coal is useless but its never going to produce as much heat as say ovoids or anthracite.

It is a smokeless coal or ovoids think it is hayes I was burning Stafford stove coal but found it wasn't the best.

It is a smokeless coal or ovoids think it is hayes I was burning Stafford stove coal but found it wasn't the best.

You have the right fuel so try switching off some rads to see if the problem is just too many for the size of boiler.

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Interesting last couple of posts. I’ve always burned Ovoids in my duel fuel stove . I’d start the fire off with some sticks , fire lighters , B Cosy briquettes and some hard wood and then when it heats up I throw the ovids on.

Is that the best way to be doing it or am I doing something wrong? Open to suggestions as I’m still learning with the stove . It’s a big 30km one which has a back boiler.

I use the EasyGlow Ovoids .

Every stove is different,and yours has a large fire box which could use a lot of fuel.
    I would try supertherm,lit only with dry kindling. You can buy supertherm in most hardware shops by the bag so you don't need to buy a lot to give it a go.
    It's really easy to light and heats quickly but burns for a reasonably long time,very good if you aren't running your stove 24 hours a day.

It's all experimenting to find what suits your setup the best,so try a few types of ovoids as they are all slightly different.

I've tried the easyglow ovoids and they would not be my first choice tbh.

Anthracite is only an option if your stove is able to run It,and should not be used in most stoves as it will melt the grate.

I've never seen a melted grate but I've seen a few burnt out prematurely if thats what you mean.

However I don't think anthracite gets too hot its too much pet coke in a mix that does the damage to stoves.

I've never seen a melted grate but I've seen a few burnt out prematurely if thats what you mean.

However I don't think anthracite gets too hot its too much pet coke in a mix that does the damage to stoves.

I’ve had a melted grate from premium Colombian coal
    It was so hot we had windows open lol

Can I ask where you got them? I have the exact same stove as you and I don't know what i am doing wrong with it but I seem to be going through a serious amount of coal and wood but once I let the stove out the heat goes pretty quick from the rads

If you have a pipe thermostat on the top pipe coming out of the stove then try turning it down,if it's gone wrong then it may be turning the pump on at too high a temp. This will cause your stove to overheat everything except the rads and will make it struggle.
    Normally it should be set to 50°c if it's working correctly.

I’ve had a melted grate from premium Colombian coal
    It was so hot we had windows open lol

Then you were doing something wrong perhaps next time don't use so much :)

Then you were doing something wrong perhaps next time don't use so much :)

Don’t use it at all now the ovoids are more consistent and cleaner
    The Colombian coal I was using also melted a friends open fire grate it was really good stuff

Whilst being difficult to get to burn properly,if anthracite is fed enough air then it's the hottest burning natural coal of all and can literally melt the inside of a stove and it's not recommended for most types of stove as a result.

Petcoke is not recommended for any stoves,and is way too hot to be safe.

• Advertisement

Irishs12 wrote: »
    Whilst being difficult to get to burn properly,if anthracite is fed enough air then it's the hottest burning natural coal of all and can literally melt the inside of a stove and it's not recommended for most types of stove as a result.

Petcoke is not recommended for any stoves,and is way too hot to be safe.

What do you think is the major constituent of Ovoids? Anthracite is expensive pet coke is cheap the answer isn't that difficult.

Check manuals for most if not all Waterford Stanley stoves and you'll find Anthracite as a recommended fuel.

eg http://www.waterfordstanley.com/stanley-stoves/stanley-stoves/room-heating/solid-fuel/oisin-stove
    Burns anthracite, coal, smokeless fuel, seasoned peat briquettes and dried wood - Do not use high moisture content fuels as they will affect performance & damage the unit. Our grates are made from high chromium which are able to withstand higher temperatures from smokeless coal.

What do you think is the major constituent of Ovoids? Anthracite is expensive pet coke is cheap the answer isn't that difficult.

Check manuals for most if not all Waterford Stanley stoves and you'll find Anthracite as a recommended fuel.

eg http://www.waterfordstanley.com/stanley-stoves/stanley-stoves/room-heating/solid-fuel/oisin-stove
    Waterford Stanley stoves are a premium brand stove that come with high temperature grates,as I said,check if your stove can burn it.

my3cents wrote:
    You have the right fuel so try switching off some rads to see if the problem is just too many for the size of boiler.

I actually have a bigger stove than I need. I have 10 rads working off it. I turned off the road in the room with the stove as it was over kill.

I don't have a top pipe. I have one pipe that comes out of the bottom left hand side. I have never seen a thermostat but I will have a look when I get home tomorrow thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I'm not on facebook. Can someone post the current price for avoids. Also what is their phone number.
    Thanks in Advance

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Having an ash tree cut down , how long before It could be burned in a stove

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

rebeve wrote: »

A good year in the right. Ash is reasonably low in moisture

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

A good year in the right conditions

rebeve wrote: »

The good news is that you can burn ash straight away. The bad news is that you should still wait and let it dry out.

While it will burn you are still wasting heat evaporating water and the water will in turn will do your stove no good.

Minimum a year for drying but ideally two or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I'm not on facebook. Can someone post the current price for avoids. Also what is their phone number.
    Thanks in Advance

This is the latest one I can see. From the 5th Dec.
    Slack - €130 per tonne
    Singles - €155 per tonne
    Polish - €195 per tonne
    Black diamond €225 per tonne
    Doubles - €195 per tonne
    Columbian Doubles €225 per tonne
    Columbian Coal - €250 per tonne
    Union Nuggets - €250 per tonne
    smokeless ovoids - €280 per tonne
    Country blend - €280 per tonne
    Clearflame - €280 per tonne

Call 02887740911 / 00442887740911