Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

chasm wrote: »
    A poster on their FB page said Warde Transport quoted €72 delivery to Co Mayo. Not sure if that is Warde Groupage from Newry?

Edit: It is Warde Groupage, another poster got delivery to Waterford for €72 as well.

Edit 2: CW are putting up their prices from 17th Sept, by €25/30 per tonne

Can you copy & paste that FB post here,please, as I cannot find it on the CW FB page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭amber2

From Coal warehouse FB Page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Can you copy & paste that FB post here,please, as I cannot find it on the CW FB page.

It's all in the comments under the post CW made about LC putting their delivery costs up. I will look it up when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

GaryCocs wrote: »
    With coalwarehouse, or open fires, would people get the polish coal or upgrade to columbian (For an open fire).

We use ovoids and singles in the stove and they're fantastic.

I believe upgrading to columbian would be a step downwards in quality although it is a step upwards in price .Columbian will burn faster but is ideal for back boiler in my fire anyway .

Difficult to understand how polish is 175 and columbian is 230.

Thread users may or may not be aware it is your duty to accompany the fuel across the border for your own use . Its not up to CW to find you a courier . :
    quote from revenue
    However, if that person receives some or all of their solid fuel supplies from a supplier based in another member state, for example a supplier based in Newry, they will be accountable for the tax when they supply that fuel onward to their own customers. In such cases, the person must register for the tax with Revenue and pay the tax on the supply of that fuel in any accounting period.
    A tax liability does not arise where an individual personally purchases and brings into Ireland solid fuel from a supplier in another Member State, provided the fuel is for their own private use and they accompany the fuel into Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 35,682 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

''our smokeless coal is on a summer offer at €260 at the minute, and will be going up in price to €300 a tonne on 17th September''

CW

300 PLUS 78 Delivery is ouch

• Advertisement

The new price increase from both Connolly and CW means that it's close on €400 for a ton of ovoids to me.

I can get the silver bags of Stafford's coal for not a whole lot more than that. A far superior coal to any of CW coal in my opinion.

I'll be going the local route in future

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

2forjoy wrote: »

Thread users may or may not be aware it is your duty to accompany the fuel across the border for your own use . Its not up to CW to find you a courier . :
    quote from revenue

I think that actually came from the rip off merchants down South not revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 WindWarrior

Just ordered a pallet of ovoids from Coal Warehouse. Used Joe McGovern Transport. €61.50 for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭The Student

Just ordered a pallet of ovoids from Coal Warehouse. Used Joe McGovern Transport. €61.50 for delivery.

where did you get delivery to in Ireland and would you have contact details for Joe McGovern Transport

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CH3OH

where did you get delivery to in Ireland and would you have contact details for Joe McGovern Transport

I used the contact form on their website and got a reply in 5 minutes

http://www.joemcgovern.ie/contact-us-page.html

I was getting delivery to County Wicklow and was €67 per pallet
    They don't take cards but were happy to do bank transfer or a cheque on delivery
    I ordered from Coal warehouse and expected delivery is Tuesday ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I still think it is much simpler to order from easy glow
    All inclusive price.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 WindWarrior

Delivery is to Sligo area. Contact number 0499523342.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

67 euros per pallet delivered plus the 260 for the ovoids = 327.00

for a similar tonne of the nearest equivalent ovoids (but not as good in my opinion) at my fuel supplier = 537.50 (see link below)

537.50-327=210.50

http://mccarthystramore.ie/product/25-bags-ecobrite-stove-fuel/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

67 euros per pallet delivered plus the 260 for the ovoids = 327.00

for a similar tonne of the nearest equivalent ovoids (but not as good in my opinion) at my fuel supplier = 537.50 (see link below)

537.50-327=210.50

http://mccarthystramore.ie/product/25-bags-ecobrite-stove-fuel/

Your local supplier is very expensive, I’m getting super therm ovoids for €17.80 for 1 x 40kg bag delivered, he’s calling me next week for a deal on 25 bags, he’s guessing around the €400 mark

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭stevegrace

vectra wrote: »
    I still think it is much simpler to order from easy glow
    All inclusive price.

Would the ovoids from easy glow be as good as the CW ovoids(last years were the worst yet,usually great) the order process does seem a lot simpler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

stevegrace wrote: »
    Would the ovoids from easy glow be as good as the CW ovoids(last years were the worst yet,usually great) the order process does seem a lot simpler.

I bought ovoids from Easyglow last year and they were deadly, great heat from them and very little ash. I never bought from CW so can't compare the two, but I was very pleased with what I got from Easyglow.

Bought a ton of Columbian from Kosyking this year and find them great also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

stevegrace wrote: »
    I bought ovoids from Easyglow last year and they were deadly, great heat from them and very little ash. I never bought from CW so can't compare the two, but I was very pleased with what I got from Easyglow.

Bought a ton of Columbian from Kosyking this year and find them great also.

Same as above.
    I can't compare as I only bought from EG
    I have a backboiler with a fire door.
    Personally I preferred the small ovoids as they burned to complete ash.
    But I think each fire burns in a different manner, so yuo would have to test this yourself.
    EG will do a mixed pallet for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I called a local supplier Black hawk fuels ( no way connected) he offered a pallet of ovoids for €350 which is not bad I didnt haggle with him on the phone but i'd say there was room for an extra few bags

Only down side 40kg bags

I will buy a bag locally and see how it burns that'll help me make the decision

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

One local merchants down my way in Wexford has decided to close up due to the increase in carbon tax. They were finding it financially unviable going forward.
    Going up to €17.50 per 40kg bag for ovoids in another place.
    It's funny how the government decided to also penalise smokeless coal users by adding tax to that, surely slightly reduced tax on that and adding taxes to smoky coal was the way forward. Instead of the carrot and stick approach they decided to beat everything with a stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

One local merchants down my way in Wexford has decided to close up due to the increase in carbon tax. They were finding it financially unviable going forward.
    It's funny how the government decided to also penalise smokeless coal users by adding tax to that, surely slightly reduced tax on that and adding taxes to smoky coal was the way forward. Instead of the carrot and stick approach they decided to beat everything with a stick.

If you don’t mind me asking which provider is this? Living in Wexford myself .

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

Ordered tonne of small ovoids from easyglow online over weekend and they arrived this evening - rural Galway address.

Paid with PayPal and used my banks exchange rate - worked out at 378euro delivered which is roughly 7.50 a bag.

It's great coal - third tonne we've bought from them and I'm comparing to local ovoids and kosy king ovoids. Kosy was good aswell but I prefer these overall

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

bigron2109 wrote: »

Think he was on old Dublin road in enniscorthy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Ordered tonne of small ovoids from easyglow online over weekend and they arrived this evening - rural Galway address.

Paid with PayPal and used my banks exchange rate - worked out at 378euro delivered which is roughly 7.50 a bag.

It's great coal - third tonne we've bought from them and I'm comparing to local ovoids and kosy king ovoids. Kosy was good aswell but I prefer these overall

Try Revolut next time

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CH3OH

CH3OH wrote: »
    I used the contact form on their website and got a reply in 5 minutes

http://www.joemcgovern.ie/contact-us-page.html

I was getting delivery to County Wicklow and was €67 per pallet
    They don't take cards but were happy to do bank transfer or a cheque on delivery
    I ordered from Coal warehouse and expected delivery is Tuesday ..

Just an update :
    I ordered 2 ton of ovoids from coalwarehouse. Paid in sterling and credit card charge was €256.85 per ton plus the €67.65 delivery per ton
    total €324.5 per ton

Ordered Friday . Collected yesterday and delivered by Joe Mcgovern this morning.
    The bags were 20KG bags

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bigron2109 wrote: »

Old Dublin Road coal yard in The Mart.

Freeman's in Oylegate have good deals on coal too. I've gotten ovoids there before when passing through,I think it worked out at €28 for 2 bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,682 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How come no one is driving up to CW to collect? It's only a ton, a small van would do.

the goverment use the carrot and stick method alright

They shove the carrot up you h0le and use the stick to shove it up further

Smokeless stuff shouldnt have been touched

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How come no one is driving up to CW to collect? It's only a ton, a small van would do.

It’s a fair drive up. Not the cost, time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Sorry call me stupid If you like but what are ovoids and i have a 6kw stove where i just burn logs and smokeless coal

Advertisement