Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BamesJond

I'm looking to buy a tonne of coal over the next while and people on here seem to have decent knowledge of what's available. I'll need coal for a stove so am I best to go with Ovoids or should I be looking at some other mix?
    Coal Warehouse seem to be a little cheaper than Easyglow but the Coal Warehouse Facebook page seems to be full of comments about poor quality. Anyone have any comments or other places I should be looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Irishs12

BamesJond wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a tonne of coal over the next while and people on here seem to have decent knowledge of what's available. I'll need coal for a stove so am I best to go with Ovoids or should I be looking at some other mix?
    Coal Warehouse seem to be a little cheaper than Easyglow but the Coal Warehouse Facebook page seems to be full of comments about poor quality. Anyone have any comments or other places I should be looking?
    Ovoids are best for stoves,if you want convenient easy lighting and cleanish burning.
    With coal warehouse you get whatever ovoids they have at the time,and I've had some reasonably good ones from them,but mostly not as good as branded ones. That's why I've stopped buying them off them.
    I was also one of the ones who got the very bad quality coal off them a few months ago,although they did give me a large discount on another ton of coal to make up for it. Overall,their customer service was good to be fair.

Kosy king sell branded ovoids for not that much more money,and I personally think they are worth it.
    The supertherm they sell are available everywhere so you can try a bag of them before you buy a full ton.
    The maxibrite ones are very slow burning and clean,but take a good while to get going.
    If you are in South Dublin or east Wicklow then Stafford Clarke have a deal on superglow at the moment which works out at €414 a ton but you can buy it in 7 x 20kg bags for €58.50,and they throw in 2 bags of kindling and 2 fire logs too. It's very convenient,I've just ordered it to see out the last of the bad weather,but I haven't tried them yet so can't comment on quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I've been buying tonnes of ovoids from coal warehouse with the last few years and have not noticed any drop in quality. I just bouught another tonne off them last week. I have been through the whole circle of buying many different types of stove coal from many sources and I still think these are the best ovoids at the moment.

I have seen that their other coal brands have dropped in quality, all you need to do is read the comments regarding it. But their ovoids are still the same thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BamesJond

Thanks for the feedback folks, much appreciated.

I seen KosyKing have Ovoids but it states they're for UK sale only. I assume the way around that is getting my own courrier?

Are EasyGlow.ie similar to KosyKing? They state free delivery included in the tonne price anywhere in Ireland. Don't mind paying a bit extra if delivery is looked after on their end as long as the quality isn't compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

I seen KosyKing have Ovoids but it states they're for UK sale only. I assume the way around that is getting my own courrier?

Are EasyGlow.ie similar to KosyKing? They state free delivery included in the tonne price anywhere in Ireland. Don't mind paying a bit extra if delivery is looked after on their end as long as the quality isn't compromised.

I ordered with EasyGlow last October . Found the whole process very smooth and I’ll be ordering again soon. Just need to get around to doing it.

Their Ovoids are excellent. And the fact they are in 20kg bags is super too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

Kosyking will deliver to southern ireland even if it says Uk only, they sort out delivery as well, just ring the number they provide for the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

bigron2109 wrote: »
    I ordered with EasyGlow last October . Found the whole process very smooth and I’ll be ordering again soon. Just need to get around to doing it.

Their Ovoids are excellent. And the fact they are in 20kg bags is super too.

As above
    Easyglo ovoids are fantastic.
    I have used almost 2 tonne this winter
    First tonne was mixed.
    25 large
    25 small

Second tonne was all small ovoids as I find them much better.

Very smooth transaction both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bif

vectra wrote: »
    As above
    Easyglo ovoids are fantastic.
    I have used almost 2 tonne this winter
    First tonne was mixed.
    25 large
    25 small

Second tonne was all small ovoids as I find them much better.

Very smooth transaction both times.

How much for the tonne ddlivered from easyglow? Thanks

Bif wrote: »
    How much for the tonne ddlivered from easyglow? Thanks

I think the last tonne was €380 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭6541

Hi all, Anybody get the Ovoids from Coal Warehouse lately - I am going to buy but am a bit concerned about the quality as some folk have mentioned that may be an issue ? Can anyone comment ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

6541 wrote: »
    Hi all, Anybody get the Ovoids from Coal Warehouse lately - I am going to buy but am a bit concerned about the quality as some folk have mentioned that may be an issue ? Can anyone comment ?

Don't think anyone has ever had an issue with the CW ovoids. They are great for a stove. Issues have been with rubbish cheap coal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Any deals knocking around with the summer coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

If you are looking for discounts, then give some of the suppliers a ring first.

I did this before with Kosy King. There was nothing on the website but when I rang I asked could they do any better on the price and I got a €10 off discount code.

Always ask first. Remember they (Kosy King, Coal Warehouse, Easy Glow), know we are comparing prices, delivery etc.

My personal favourite is Kosy King for the simple reason is that I request delivery on a certain day and they always oblige.

Give they all a try, like I did, make notes and decide for yourself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just got a ton of ovoids supertherm from Kosy King but all the bags contain coal like this?

Thoughts?

20qdzy0.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is the countrywide ban on the sale of smoky coal still coming in this September?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

:D Ah great - white coal :D:D

slave1 wrote: »
    Just got a ton of ovoids supertherm from Kosy King but all the bags contain coal like this?

Thoughts?

Looks like damp on it?

They got damp and dried out.
    Shouldn't affect them I would imagine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yeah, I was thinking damp as the bags were dry, as long as it’s only cosmetic I don’t care

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is the countrywide ban on the sale of smoky coal still coming in this September?

no september 2019

Wholesalers wont be able to buy any more bulk after this september and have a year to bag and sell what stock they have left up to september 2019
    After which it will be against law to sell or burn afik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,755 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is a heatwave a good time for a ton of cheap coal. Any bargains out there

Is a heatwave a good time for a ton of cheap coal. Any bargains out there

Can’t imagine there is, it’s not a product that degrades afaik so as long as it’s not taking up space for a wholesaler I’m sure they are happy to keep the prices up till autumn/winter

there's rarely any sort of a big drop in prices for a tonne, 20 euros sometimes. they're as tight as a nuns....

there's rarely any sort of a big drop in prices for a tonne, 20 euros sometimes. they're as tight as a nuns....

Yeah, I think I got 10 or 20 euro off on Black Friday before.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,755 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The mark up is huge though, geez coal trades at what 40$ a ton. We pay 350 plus.
    They are trebling their money if not more.

I'm going to email them tomorrow, offer 500 for two tons of ovoids, you know it makes sense, lovely jubbly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭funnyname

The mark up is huge though, geez coal trades at what 40$ a ton. We pay 350 plus.

I'm going to email them tomorrow, offer 500 for two tons of ovoids, you know it makes sense, lovely jubbly

You're so right, I'm thinking of hiring a 22 ton truck and driving over to Poland to pick it up direct from the mine, I'll save a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

funnyname wrote: »
    You're so right, I'm thinking of hiring a 22 ton truck and driving over to Poland to pick it up direct from the mine, I'll save a fortune.
    Great, I’ll take a couple of bags off you.

let us know how u got on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

funnyname wrote: »

How many ton you going to bring back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭funnyname

How many ton you going to bring back?

Probably try and fit 30

Advertisement