Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D II Act Two Scene I - The Tower

Options
  • 14-08-2018 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭

Citra flies out of the Shire over the enormous Blight mountains.

pXbYIk.jpg

Flying out East over the mountains, they pass into the Wrecklands, where they see some of the fabled walking mountains.

TuIyoW.jpg

The Wrecklands, once a place where the laws of nature were failing due to a cataclysmic magical war over a millenium ago are slowly healing. Anomalies such as the walking mountains still tesify that the world is not fully repaired here, as does the odd floating bolder.

Ursula's tower, once home to the most powerful magic user to ever live, lies a head of them.

Responding to Citra's presence, the tower shifts shape size and colour. The small buildings around it walking on legs and rearranging themselves before settling.

D5nzR6.jpg

Citra lands with a thud near the entrance to the town beneath the tower.

"Here we are and all of you, take great care here"

Karinth dismounts.

"Thank you dragon, my destiny lies within this tower. I have known it for a long time, but never thought the day would come when I could enter"

He bows.

"Of course...construct" she replies.

Karinth winces, but feigns a smile and goes to look at the town from a distance.

"My son..." she assumes human shape after all dismount "...let us speak alone"

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Vrakrash watches as the others dismount.

'Let's take a walk then, mother. The tower can wait a little while.'

He nods to Karinth.

'It would appear mine does too. I shall speak with you soon, Karinth.'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Necrominus wrote: »
    Vrakrash watches as the others dismount.

'Let's take a walk then, mother. The tower can wait a little while.'

He nods to Karinth.

'It would appear mine does too. I shall speak with you soon, Karinth.'
    Karinth gives Vrakrash a faint smile and turns toward the town.

Citra leads Vrakrash to a small grove nearby.

"Now my son, what do you wish to know exactly?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Evade

Iuric gets his bearing in this odd place and observes the people (if any) for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Retula looks for a graveyard, tries to find funny headstones

Evade wrote: »
    Iuric gets his bearing in this odd place and observes the people (if any) for a while.
    The inhabitants of the town are faceless grey humanoid figures with a weak magical armour over them. Their surface undulates slightly, as if made of a liquid. They look almost like mannequins or puppets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fourier wrote: »
    Karinth gives Vrakrash a faint smile and turns toward the town.

Citra leads Vrakrash to a small grove nearby.

"Now my son, what do you wish to know exactly?"

'I need to hear it from you, to know it is true. The identity of my... father.

I don't know if you've heard of Flagg, you have been gone a long time and I was a little... overcooked in hatching... but he tormented me for a decade, taunting me with answers, with fallacies and false truths.

He killed my entire surrogate family, mother - and when I tried to rise the slaves against him, he nearly killed me and squashed the rest of the rebellion flat!

He still hunts me to this day. I was hoping you would help me deal with him once and for all, truthfully... but it appears either through Retula and her (snarls) Raven Queen, or a geasa from a coward dwarf - you will be ripped away from me before I can exact my revenge on the bastard known as Flagg.

And... anyways... we have this tower to deal with first.'

Banjo wrote: »
    Retula looks for a graveyard, tries to find funny headstones
    The town has a graveyard with only one gravestone.

On it is the name "Gondrimp"

The inhabitants of the town are faceless grey humanoid figures with a weak magical armour over them. Their surface undulates slightly, as if made of a liquid. They look almost like mannequins or puppets.
    Iuric tries a divine sense

The town has a graveyard with only one gravestone.

On it is the name "Gondrimp"

Kakraaaw!
    "Don't write it off, maybe it's all about context?"

"No you're right."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

Ooc are we in a king novella ?
    Inc I practise with my bow and am very happy with my decision

• Advertisement

And... anyways... we have this tower to deal with first.'
    "Flagg walks many planes my son, no doubt he enslaved you because you are my blood and my kind is very rare, absent in most planes. As I said to the knight I only know of here and his home plane having my kind. And I am the oldest, in this part of our world at any rate.

Your father was in fact the one who placed the curse on me, when he was mortal. After my death and his ascension...he petitioned for some time together from the higher gods, where we would both be mortal. So that he might explain himself...it was only a few days, but we were already close and the situation was emotionally wrought..."

She laughs nervously.

"...Vergadain permitted your existence. He accelerated your eggs development within me, before I was sent back, and I laid you here, in the shelter of this tower, these beings raised you for a while, though you will have no memory of it...though a demigod golden dragon was difficult for even Vergadain to develop correctly. An extremist from the past, who knew a lot about dwarven physiology assisted us"

She sits down.

"...your father learned that Flagg desired my power through you and your siblings, so he pursued across the plains. He found him on Athas, where Flagg fled across the desert and your father followed...unfortunately your father's time under mortal incarnation ended just before he caught him...I'm sorry"

Evade wrote: »
    Iuric tries a divine sense
    He senses nothing from the beings, except an odd calm.

Jack Moore wrote: »
    Ooc are we in a king novella ?
    Inc I practise with my bow and am very happy with my decision
    OOC: To answer this, the tower is more from Jack Vance, although you might mean Necro's post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Sarric asks the hobbit who has been speaking for his party, "Whats your name by the way, you introduced Gholz and Mizzy here, but I think you refained from giving your own name."

Retula kicks the gravestone.
    "Nah, it doesn't work, I can't hear her, just vague impressions of what he thinks about what she's saying. Even there, there's nothing we can use. I told you we should have eavesdropped"

Prrrrk prrrrk!

"Haha! No he'll know it's you. Hey, Patinkin, can you do voices? On the count of three, think 'holy **** my mom is hot!' at me as hard as you can. 1....2...."

sKeith wrote: »
    Sarric asks the hobbit who has been speaking for his party, "Whats your name by the way, you introduced Gholz and Mizzy here, but I think you refained from giving your own name."
    "Kazin Sir, Mister High Elf Sir" he salutes.

"Flagg walks many planes my son, no doubt he enslaved you because you are my blood and my kind is very rare, absent in most planes. As I said to the knight I only know of here and his home plane having my kind. And I am the oldest, in this part of our world at any rate.

Your father was in fact the one who placed the curse on me, when he was mortal. After my death and his ascension...he petitioned for some time together from the higher gods, where we would both be mortal. So that he might explain himself...it was only a few days, but we were already close and the situation was emotionally wrought..."

She laughs nervously.

"...Vergadain permitted your existence. He accelerated your eggs development within me, before I was sent back, and I laid you here, in the shelter of this tower, these beings raised you for a while, though you will have no memory of it...though a demigod golden dragon was difficult for even Vergadain to develop correctly. An extremist from the past, who knew a lot about dwarven physiology assisted us"

She sits down.

"...your father learned that Flagg desired my power through you and your siblings, so he pursued across the plains. He found him on Athas, where Flagg fled across the desert and your father followed...unfortunately your father's time under mortal incarnation ended just before he caught him...I'm sorry"

Vrakrash sits down beside Citra.

'So you mean... you - and him... Bandylegs? Mother... this is a lot to take in. And that is why he pursues me... truth be told I did never understand why he didn't just kill me.

This makes sense though. He kept me under lock and key, by his side, trying to harness my..your..his... power. If it wasn't to be before now, it shall be done.

Flagg will die screaming by my hand... or burning alive by my breath. I swear it to you mother.'

Vrakrash looks at the tower.

'What is so important within this place? As I travelled the planes, fleeing from Flagg, this tower has always come up in conversation... some find it a holy place, others a place of dread and death... Retula might actually like it I suppose, ha!'

"Well met, Kazin, what dangers have you heard of this place, its not exactly the welcome party I was hoping for so far, maybe they are waiting for us inside."

Iuric leans against a wall looking up at the tower trying to imagine what's to come. After a moment he looks around at the people and thinks about the walking mountains and realises his imagination is almost certainly lacking.

"Well met, Kazin, what dangers have you heard of this place, its not exactly the welcome party I was hoping for so far, maybe they are waiting for us inside."
    "Anybody who enters is never seen again. Even some of the Shire's greatest heroes have entered and never returned. Not just that, but also elven heroes like yourself.

They say when Ursula locked the place up, she intended for none to reach the higher floors. It's real name is 'The Ninth Seclusium'. Says it on the door apparently"

• Advertisement

"Anybody who enters is never seen again. Even some of the Shire's greatest heroes have entered and never returned. Not just that, but also elven heroes like yourself.

They say when Ursula locked the place up, she intended for none to reach the higher floors. It's real name is 'The Ninth Seclusium'. Says it on the door apparently"

"None to reach the higher floors... I wonder if anybody has tried coming in from the roof, and not bother having to climb all the other floors but entering the highest floor first."

Flagg will die screaming by my hand... or burning alive by my breath. I swear it to you mother.'
    "I hope he perishes my son, for your sake. Know that if he threatens you and I am still here, he will feel my full wrath"
    Vrakrash looks at the tower.

'What is so important within this place? As I travelled the planes, fleeing from Flagg, this tower has always come up in conversation... some find it a holy place, others a place of dread and death... Retula might actually like it I suppose, ha!'
    "Ursula kept all her secrets here. Very few Mages of her power in any plane. She even rivals the famed Mordenkainen"

"None to reach the higher floors... I wonder if anybody has tried coming in from the roof, and not bother having to climb all the other floors but entering the highest floor first."
    "I've a feeling it wouldn't work, from the stories I've heard. One of our heroes rode a Griffin, he also perished, perhaps by trying that first"

"I hope he perishes my son, for your sake. Know that if he threatens you and I am still here, he will feel my full wrath"

'Let us hope that you are then.'
    "Ursula kept all her secrets here. Very few Mages of her power in any plane. She even rivals the famed Mordenkainen"

Vrakrash stands.

'Best we head inside and get this started with then, eh? No point us jabbering away like fools here with the others waiting for us.'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

While waiting for the party go gather it's thoughts, rest up, renew their adventuring spirits and resolve their inner conflicts Mags, using Magehand, goes hunting rabbits to roast for lunch.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    While waiting for the party go gather it's thoughts, rest up, renew their adventuring spirits and resolve their inner conflicts Mags, using Magehand, goes hunting rabbits to roast for lunch.
    Mags gathers a good few rabbits. Too little for Citra, who flies off to hunt for deer and larger beasts. Ser Boros however thanks Mags for the meal and tucks in.

8aZpzz.jpg

Mags takes the opportunity to embrace his new found belief in gods, the gods of music in particular. Having dismissed their existence for many years as fables used to control the gullible he finds that actually meeting with a god and receiving a gift from them he now has to admit that they really exist. He tries praying as that is what he sees others doing.
    "Hey, gods. Ermmmm. Thanks for lunch. Errrr. May you be ever shiny or something. Amen!"

To anyone within hearing he asks,
    "Anyone know if there is a portal nearby? I'd just like to know where the nearest emergency exit lies."

To anyone within hearing he asks,
    "Anyone know if there is a portal nearby? I'd just like to know where the nearest emergency exit lies."
    Citra returns after catching her lunch and overhears Mags.

"None out here, I scoped the general area. There might be some in the Tower, though I don't know of anybody who escaped via one"

"... though I don't know of anybody who escaped via one"

"And just WHY are we going into the place where no intruder has ever before survived?"

• Advertisement

"And just WHY are we going into the place where no intruder has ever before survived?"
    "Oh some have survived...mostly intact...physically. There is something of value here for myself, my son, the psychopomp and Karinth as you call him.

It's not the same thing for each of us, but nevertheless here they all lie.

For the others great riches, for you, if not the riches, then Bardic knowledge available nowhere else"

Advertisement