Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weddings - a terrible day out.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

jimgoose wrote: »
    No it isn't. If someone throws an enormous relationship-ending strop because they don't get their own way then I don't have any interest in them. You get to a certain stage in life where you just don't entertain this sort of horseshit anymore.

That looks good in a post but it's completely dishonest.

First of all, I believe people should be free to do as please.

You seem to believe the same.

I'm accepting the reality of the situation as it, were as you're jumping to an ideal which has no basis in reality.

IN Ireland if one friend invites another to a wedding, they've been planning for months and spent enormous amounts of money on. The invited guest would be expected to attend. They can reply "No, not interested", all they want, but not attend without good reason will cause problems in the relationship. That goes without saying!
    Now forget about your ideal notions as to how we all should behave and deal with the reality of the situation at hand.

Jesus, god be with the days when somebody might want to attend their sisters wedding without complaining about it!!
    So people should just put up with it.
    You're now conflicted, the truth is in the post and on the way for you, enjoy your last few hours in the bubble.

erica74 wrote: »
    This is a joke post, right?! That's a third of my monthly pay:pac::pac:
    I'm delighted for people who can afford to give that amount and want to give that amount but YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE ANYTHING YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO GIVE, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ATTEND ANY WEDDING IF YOU DON'T WANT TO. It is simple.

Ok, so erica74 has used all caps and the problem of viewing wedding invites as a summons still remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

The invited guest would be expected to attend. They can reply "No, not interested", all they want, but not attend without good reason will cause problems in the relationship. That goes without saying!

I'm sorry but what?! An invitation is a request to attend something, not a demand! Noone in their right mind is going to reply "no, not interested". It doesn't matter what the reason for not attending a wedding is - be it from lack of funds, being away, to simply not wanting to go, its not the bride and grooms business why the person doesn't want to go! The world does not revolve around them and their wedding. People have lives outside that. If I'm not attending a wedding I don't give a reason and I didn't expect reasons from the people who couldn't attend mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If someone would just invite me i would give an educated account of an Irish wedding.. A big one I mean;not the lovely wee secret one i arranged way back for a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Jaysci20

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Thing is, people expect to make it back from their guests in most cases so it costs them nothing or very little really.

I cringe hard every time I think of my own wedding. A completely formulaic day for show and then the next day thrown in for good measure to drag it out. I always roll my eyes when anyone says “oh yours was one of the best weddings I was ever at” because everyone always says that. And I’m still very happily married to a woman I love in case anyone thinks I’m being bitter.

I hate everything about weddings and the only thing worse than being invited is being at the centre of it.

Must have been alright. I think what's bad is when the food is muck, the band are awful, wine is vinegar and it's formulaic. It's the worst of all world.s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Christ, I must have jinxed myself, last night got a call to say I'm invited to an old friend wedding, a Friday one.

Said I'll be there, not a hope in hell I will.

A day wasted listening to the lads talk about work whilst their jumped up partners throw stares, think ill go roll around in silage instead lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Anyone find it strange when on the invitation the couple ask for money as a gift? It's the done thing around where I live anyways but it would make you want to give them a toaster or blender.

I saw an invite during the Celtic Tiger that stated "No trash, just cash :)".

Actually I blame the Celtic Tiger for making weddings such an expensive and drawn out torture.
    We lost the run of ourselves and still haven't reverted to normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

mcgiggles wrote: »
    I'm sorry but what?! An invitation is a request to attend something, not a demand! Noone in their right mind is going to reply "no, not interested". It doesn't matter what the reason for not attending a wedding is - be it from lack of funds, being away, to simply not wanting to go, its not the bride and grooms business why the person doesn't want to go! The world does not revolve around them and their wedding. People have lives outside that. If I'm not attending a wedding I don't give a reason and I didn't expect reasons from the people who couldn't attend mine.

You can call the invite whatever you want, some call it a summons!

As I've said, generally, the closer you are to the B or G the more pressure to attend.

For the weddings you've declined how close were you to the B or G? how often did you meet up?

How close were you to those who declined your wedding? how often did you meet up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

What's with the inflatable music instruments and cheap fancy dress shyte for guests to take photos with?

That became a thing ages ago and nobody bats an eyelid as to how crap it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Weddings are a monumental pain in the swiss roll

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Jaysci20

https://www.thevow.ie/real-weddings/wedding-guests-shocked-to-be-asked-by-groom-to-return-wedding-gift-for-cash-36878854.html

What kind a complete kn0b asks for a wedding gift to be returned by his guest and to get cash instead. This is the kind of thing that has weddings ruined.

I think the wedding gift list thing is a bit much in the first place anyway. I'd be telling this ponce to flog the gift on ebay himself if he wants cash for it. I wouldn't waste another minute of my life with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

What's with the inflatable music instruments and cheap fancy dress shyte for guests to take photos with?

That became a thing ages ago and nobody bats an eyelid as to how crap it is.

I know, the inflatable musical instruments are bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

i'm not a big fan of weddings myself..I've been to 7 weddings overall and every one of them justs costs me the gift which i just usually throw 50euro their way...i don't buy new suits for the occasion as i don't see the point when an old suit from the 1st wedding you have in the wardrobe and freshly dry cleaned will do the trick just fine..I don't really obligate myself to stay the whole weekend just for the ceremony and speeches and then feck off home for rest of evening. As long as you show up for the important parts i'm sure is all that matters most..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

_Dara_ wrote: »

Two adults sitting planning a very special once in a lifetime expensive social occasion at which they will be the hosts :

She:”so that’s the food and the cake and the entertainment arranged”
    He:”yes. But I can’t help but think there’s something missing...”
    She: “ I know. Let’s gets some blow up guitars and saxophones from the pound shop. And some false noses and wigs and comedy glasses too. We’ll leave them laying around in case our adult guests would like to play with them and take pictures of themselves and each other playing with them”.
    He:”Una, that’s why I love you. You always know the tasteful thing to do “.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

If it`s money that's the issue, either write a dodgy check or issue fake money.

If it` s the whole attendance rigmarole, simply either find a doppleganger or fake your own death, whichever comes easiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

splinter65 wrote: »
    Two adults sitting planning a very special once in a lifetime expensive social occasion at which they will be the hosts :

She:”so that’s the food and the cake and the entertainment arranged”
    He:”yes. But I can’t help but think there’s something missing...”
    She: “ I know. Let’s gets some blow up guitars and saxophones from the pound shop. And some false noses and wigs and comedy glasses too. We’ll leave them laying around in case our adult guests would like to play with them and take pictures of themselves and each other playing with them”.
    He:”Una, that’s why I love you. You always know the tasteful thing to do “.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

They are a bit of craic, I don't see why people find them so bizarre. Great craic jumping around the stage in a cow boy hat with an inflatable guitar pretending you're a rock star and that sort of thing. Well I enjoy it anyway.

Some Dj's provide them too rather than it being something the couple arrange.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Wow, very sour response. Believe me dude, I’ve no problem with bedding members of the more dangerous sex. Up to the seam of my nutpurse in fanny most weekends.

:D

love it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭BalboBiggins

They are a bit of craic, I don't see why people find them so bizarre. Great craic jumping around the stage in a cow boy hat with an inflatable guitar pretending you're a rock star and that sort of thing. Well I enjoy it anyway.

Of all the dumb sh*t you've written here over the years, this might be the dumbest.

I'm convinced that people who love "the craic" are truly the biggest bores going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Even bagpipes?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Of all the dumb sh*t you've written here over the years, this might be the dumbest.

I'm convinced that people who love "the craic" are truly the biggest bores going.

Mod: Cool the jets. No need for this

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Some Dj's provide them too rather than it being something the couple arrange.

Great craic if your 11 or if your pissed. There are always 11 year olds and boring boring pissed people at weddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm pretty surprised people make a living by Selfie-mirror or sparkling-dancefloor hire.
    There was a wedding here recently where mayhem was caused over this selfie-mirror in the planning stage.

Did you ever go to a wedding thinking "Damn, it would be so much better with a selfie mirror, it's really missed here"? I certainly didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Even bagpipes?

Bagpipes are a boil on the face of humanity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I hate social gatherings as a whole. I hate being in a room with more than 2 or 3 people..

Funny enough, the other 2 or 3 people were saying that about you after you left the room.

I was the third...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Gas thread. Absolutely hate weddings too (like it seems 90% of posters) and they are the most formulaic crap day imaginable. Forced into the company of distant relatives half of whom you can’t stand anyways and listening to people regale you about how well they are doing etc. Dreadful

LirW wrote: »
    I'm pretty surprised people make a living by Selfie-mirror or sparkling-dancefloor hire.
    There was a wedding here recently where mayhem was caused over this selfie-mirror in the planning stage.

Did you ever go to a wedding thinking "Damn, it would be so much better with a selfie mirror, it's really missed here"? I certainly didn't.

Handiest living you’d find- selling that wedding novelty crap- takes absolutely no thought or imagination and you can charge what you like plus recycle the same rubbish at the next one. Like most wedding supplies- most profitable industry in the country

The second day of a wedding is weird. I did that once or twice as I was abroad for about 3 weddings so you stay around for the weekend.

I was invited to a meal the next day once. At the end of the meal the best man asked us all for speeches re the lovely couple.

This was a large group of 40-50 people. Even girlfriends and boyfriends, people who hadn’t seen the bride before in their life, had to opine about how amazing the couple were and destined for a fabled life of happiness. I got my speech in first or second to get it over with (anyway the best man was at my table).

I just did a toast. After that it was copy cat rhetoric until a priest ranted on for 30 minutes, followed by another self indulgent public speaker. When I spoke I spoke for 1 minute but after the priest the speeches got longer and more uncomfortable as people not used to public speaking felt they had to talk for minutes following the priest lecture. (What was he talking about? No idea. Blanked from my brain).

Eventually a few people just plain out refused and it stopped. Then the priest said a few more words. For 20 more minutes.

We left at midnight. The meal started at 7. I drank my last coffee at 9:30.

That sounds like a torture routine, something the CIA should pull on terror suspects to break them! Self indulgent tripe- the couple should have called a halt and said they just wanted a relaxed eve with friends and no pressure in anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

italodisco wrote: »
    Was less of the formalities so to speak, more like a mad sesh down the pub without all the showing off how well off and great one is and the constant bullship small talk and crap band that plays bon Jovi and the likes all bloody night lol.

The last wedding I went to in Poland, the music was full on borat, accordian at lightning speeds mixed with shots of vodka every 2 minutes, a random goat carried in and plonked on the dance floor ( who seemed to be having the time of its life being danced around) , a handful of cops turning up in uniform drinking everything in site whilst dancing like mad men....the brides mother beating up the father for drinking too much..

You'd have to go to a full on polish village wedding to know what I'm on about, literally not 2 f#@ks given at any stage of the 2 days it went on.

Last Irish wedding I was at was crappy bon Jovi covers, people sitting around talking about how they built a magnificent extension and how little Jonny is going to private school now and how so and so did this did that.. That kind of crap. No atmosphere at all, like 90% of Irish weddings I've been to.

This could not be more accurate. Polish weddings are the absolute best craic you can have.

I was at one a few years back when a mate married a polish girl. Small town affair.

It was really like something out of Borat. I have never drank as much straight vodka in my life, including some home made stuff out of a bath tub.

The Polish are all just mental in the best way possible.

Advertisement