Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weddings - a terrible day out.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This is a discussion about weddings. This isn't the first time you've come on this thread accusing someone who holds a different view to you of 'whinging'.

I've explained my throwaway '3 days' comment several times. Make it 2 days for an Irish wedding and 4 days for a foreign wedding if you prefer. I'm not going to keep analysing it. The point I was making was about weddings being held midweek in awkward locations putting guests to extra inconvenience. You obviously don't have a problem with that, fine. A lot of people do, also fine.

I think I read more or less the whole thread. I don't think that you managed to say anything positive about anyone. It's clear you don't like weddings which is fine but in this thread you actually come across as someone who delights going to them just to bitch afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think I read more or less the whole thread. I don't think that you managed to say anything positive about anyone. It's clear you don't like weddings which is fine but in this thread you actually come across as someone who delights going to them just to bitch afterwards.

What a nasty comment. I, like many others on this thread, have outlined the things we dislike about modern weddings and why we would prefer to see a return to the simpler weddings of previous times. You are perfectly free to disagree with that view, but making unpleasant personal comments is seriously nasty.
    I am not going to engage with you anymore, as you are obviously not prepared to keep things civil and have turned what was just a bit of pleasant letting off steam and a bit of countering from those who enjoy weddings, into an opportunity to make an upsetting and rude comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

This thread has been a real eye opener into just how jealously people guard their Annual Leave days in work! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

meeeeh wrote: »

The complaining about having to stay for the barbecue the day after was the pinnacle! If the wedding was on a Wednesday, he'd have to take 4 days off. Might as well take the week off and have something to rightly complain about..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    This thread has been a real eye opener into just how jealously people guard their Annual Leave days in work! :eek:

I'm surprised that this surprises you:) I work very hard, and have no desire to spend my time off attending someone's vanity fest. There are so many more enjoyable ways to pass the time that I can choose for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

mcgiggles wrote: »
    It bugs me that people are trying to do things at weddings in order for them to go viral!

Why would that bug you?
    Some people want to make their wedding memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Fair enough, its pretty close to my idea of a perfect day. Especially when its often followed by starting again the next morning/early afternoon and having another day of it for the second day of the wedding :)

That’s just made me feel a little bit sad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Why would that bug you?
    Some people want to make their wedding memorable.

Memorable for whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I'm surprised that this surprises you:) I work very hard, and have no desire to spend my time off attending someone's vanity fest. There are so many more enjoyable ways to pass the time that I can choose for myself.

Here's where that "No thank you" phrase comes in handy...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am surprised at all the negativity . I have been to many wedding and lately to quite a few nieces and nephews . There were one or two moments that were boring or a bit of a wait but in the grand scheme of things we had a great time
    I wore the same outfit to at least two or three and not a single person would even remember what Aunty M wore anyway ! I give vouchers for Home Store and More to an amount I see fit and can afford . We drove five hours to one in glorious sunshine and stopped for coffee on the way . We stay where we can afford and that luckily in the hotel mostly
    Three of them had a next day continued BBQ or golf day or something . We left after breakfast and didn't stay for the second day . No one batted an eye and waved us off happily
    We make it easy for ourselves and suit our pocket or inclinations and enjoy the good day with nice people and a lovely happy couple . Then again we have a lovely family so maybe that makes a difference

• Advertisement

I suppose it depends how much annual leave you have and how flexible your job is. For single days off like weddings etc I usually just "work from home" rather than use up a days holiday.

I suppose it depends how much annual leave you have and how flexible your job is. For single days off like weddings etc I usually just "work from home" rather than use up a days holiday.

Surely you'd be fired if that was discovered?

Surely you'd be fired if that was discovered?

Not really, everyone does it. Swings and roundabouts - plenty of times where I'd be doing a bit in the evenings or on a weekend so it all balances out really. Work is flexible like that, get the work done is what matters not being in the office for the sake of it. Nobody is keeping tabs on you and working from home is common so its not going to be raising any flags.

I'd be on the laptop in the morning before the wedding and keep an eye on emails too on the phone so if something needed responding to I would to either sort it or put it off for the day.

GoneHome wrote: »
    In Ireland??? What about the rain???

Sorry I forgot to mention it's not in Ireland. It's in Vancouver, Canada.

However, we have tents on standby in case it rains which is unlikely in July as the weather is almost guaranteed to be good then. Fingers crossed!

Naw, everyone does it. Swings and roundabouts - plenty of times where I'd be doing a bit in the evenings or on a weekend so it all balances out really. Work is flexible like that, get the work done is what matters not being in the office for the sake of it. Nobody is keeping tabs on you and working from home is common so its not going to be raising any flags.

I'd keep an eye on emails too on the phone and if something needed responding too I would.

Sounds like a sensible way of working. While I'm occasionally allowed to work from home my boss doesn't really approve, so if I was going to a wedding I'd have no choice but to take it as leave.

LirW wrote: »
    My part of the family travels in, 2 people having mobility issues so on-site or closest as possible would have been a crucial thing.

But for real, outside in Ireland with the weather? I mean fair play, I wouldn't have the balls and if it's any kind of Marquee, which I find beautiful, couldn't justify the money for it personally.

Its actually in Vancouver, Canada in July so the weather should be good.
    However we have tents on standby in case they are needed.

I have family travelling over from Ireland, Spain and Australia so I'm looking forward to having everyone here.

I agree, mobility issues would be a problem, especially travelling over a long distance

Sounds like a sensible way of working. While I'm occasionally allowed to work from home my boss doesn't really approve, so if I was going to a wedding I'd have no choice but to take it as leave.

Also as I edited to say (which I forgot in my original response) I'd be working for the few hours in the morning so its really only the afternoon (normally a Friday when its a wedding which is generally quiet for me anyway so checking mails on the phone is grand).

I don't need prior approval to work from home, can do it when I want.

Also I know it not possible for many people, either its not allowed or they can't do their job from home. It was more to make the point that AL days are less valuable to some people than others.

Fair enough, its pretty close to my idea of a perfect day. Especially when its often followed by starting on the beer again the next morning/early afternoon and having another day of it for the second day of the wedding :)

We have decided the day after our wedding this year will be just us spending the day together. Then a barbeque with our families that evening.

The following day we are having a party for friends to celebrate with us.
    Best way to have it IMO

splinter65 wrote: »
    Memorable for whom?

The bride and groom, the families.
    Nobody else should matter except maybe close friends.

The bride and groom, the families.
    Nobody else should matter except maybe close friends.

Well surely all of the guests matter.

• Advertisement

We had a dinner day before and day after for those who travelled. We paid for food and drinks and it was more as a thank you to those who had to book flights and hotel. It kind of backfired because we were given what we thought were way too generous gifts when we got home. We never set out to make money (we didn't) and we tried to make everyone feel comfortable. Not everyone enjoyed the wedding we had but I hope nobody thought we didn't try to accommodate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Yes totally agree. Most weddings nowadays are long, dragged out and really boring affairs. Maybe the first few you go to are exciting and 'different' but after that they all just merge into one long samey samey wedding.

Well if you want a short sharp in and out. "I do" "So do I" quick sherry reception, perfunctory meal and then everybody out of the gaff by 6pm......just marry an Englishwoman. In england

That's how they do it.

Boring bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Jamsiek wrote:
    Why would that bug you? Some people want to make their wedding memorable.

This is beyond making the day memorable in fairness! Its about doing something bigger and better than others in order to garner likes on social media!
    Jamsiek wrote:
    The bride and groom, the families. Nobody else should matter except maybe close friends.

This is exactly my point! That's what the day is about not making a big drama so that the internet approves!

Well if you want a short sharp in and out. "I do" "So do I" quick sherry reception, perfunctory meal and then everybody out of the gaff by 6pm......just marry an Englishwoman. In england

That's how they do it.

Boring bastards!

Your boring bastards are my sensible B&Gs.

I'm female by the way, so I would prefer to marry an English man :)

This is beyond making the day memorable in fairness! Its about doing something bigger and better than others in order to garner likes on social media!

It is a bit different than the boring traditional wedding people are complaining about. ;)

Just to make it clear personally I am not fan of 'quirky' touches like that but that's just me. Someone must like them.

Well surely all of the guests matter.

Of course, but most of the guests will forget about it eventually.
    In the case of the bride and groom and family, it's more important

This is exactly my point! That's what the day is about not making a big drama so that the internet approves!

Agreed, we will have a videographer there but no gimmicks for the youtube masses :D

Of course, but most of the guests will forget about it eventually.
    In the case of the bride and groom and family, it's more important

Sorry, maybe I took you up wrong. I agree that the wedding party and immediate family are the ones who will store up precious memories of the day, while the guests will either enjoy or not enjoy the wedding but not really give it much further thought.

A few weddings I've been to stand out in my mind because they had aspects or touches that I really liked or were people very close to me. Most are just blurred memories of typical weddings and I couldn't really tell you anything very specific about them. One or two were really unenjoyable so I remember them quite well also.

Same as with most things in life really. You remember the really nice and really horrible colleagues from long past jobs but can only vaguely recollect the ones that were fine, but not really people you shared much in common with, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,244 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have enjoyed any wedding I have been too, but I don't tend to go to them all.... It isn't mandatory you know!
    I go to the ones with mates who are sound, therefore the crowd will generally be spot on and the day will be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I think weddings are okay. Don't really love them or hate them. They are always the same really.

They are expensive though. The amount you are "expected" to give as a gift in this country is mental.

My idea of having a big Irish wedding is hell. The thoughts of having to arrange a big day out, with all my family (who are all mad and many don't talk to each other...like my parents for example) and his family (who are a completely normal Irish family) fills me with dread. Also the amount of money they cost sounds like the biggest waste of money there is. If I ever get married it will be in and out of the registry office and that's it.

Advertisement