Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weddings - a terrible day out.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Leaving all else aside I really can't see how people can describe weddings as boring. You basically have access to a bar from early afternoon until 4 or 5am there is no event that would be boring in these circumstances never mind a wedding where there is loads going on, friends to catch up with and just a general good feeling about the day.

Yeah, that's probably what a lot of brides and grooms tell themselves. If I wanted to drink from early afternoon until the small hours of the following morning there is nothing to stop me doing that at home. But I don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Leaving all else aside I really can't see how people can describe weddings as boring. You basically have access to a bar from early afternoon until 4 or 5am there is no event that would be boring in these circumstances never mind a wedding where there is loads going on, friends to catch up with and just a general good feeling about the day.

Because boring people with 15 pints in them are still boring......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Drinking from early afternoon till 5am is my definition of boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

The problem may be how extremely boring many people become after hours of access to that bar, while believing they are becoming more and more fascinating and witty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

rawn wrote: »
    This!! There was something on the Spin103.8. Facebook page recently about some woman who lost her house due to the debt racked up from attending weddings, because it would be a social "faux pas" not to attend.

Just let that sink in for a moment...

U really believe this ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

splinter65 wrote: »
    Not so much any more but over on the weddings forum you would see an innocent thread started by someone who was planning a very simple affair with no frills for a small crowd and simply looking for a venue with a private room they could hire till 7pm just a bar and a buffet no music etc.
    The first few responses would be helpful but then you’d get “well at least get buttonholes” “ make your own buttonholes and a bouquet” “get someone to put your playlist on their iPod and get speakers and play it” “put disposable cameras on the table so you’ll at least have some pictures” “don’t dress casual or you’ll be sorry afterwards. Everyone deserves to look special on their wedding day. There’s a kooky wedding dress shop in temple bar ...”

The key thing is while there are plenty of couples that genuinely want the fuss and the spotlight, there is an equal amount of couples absolutely hating it.
    Both can't win really. The one's wanting their fairytale day are labelled as crazy and pretentious, I don't see the problem in it as long as they can afford it, they can have the day that makes them happy.
    If someone fussless wants a nice day with just a meal and having a chat with their close ones, they'll regret it because that's "not a real wedding".

When people that aren't fond of fuss and ott affairs are invited to them they will of course not enjoy it as much. And the other way around, people living for it will be very underwhelmed at low-key weddings. I'd count myself to the first kind, I just can't help it.
    And weddings are a lottery, I always try going in with an open mind and there are some I really enjoyed and some that were too much/too big for my taste.
    I know it's not about me and the couple can celebrate the way they want but I think I'm well within my right having an opinion about the day afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Because boring people with 15 pints in them are still boring......

Lol, indeed. Only with added drunken repetition. Yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Opened the letter box this morning, and discovered an invite to the wedding of my nephew and his girlfriend. Has put me in bad mood as a result. I’ll have to go, but I’d rather get a 5-fingered prostate exam than attend to be honest. Does anyone actually enjoy Irish weddings?

What a misery!

Sounds like you could do with the services of John Cleese's "little man from Fulham"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

The problem though is that some weddings now make huge demands of the guests in terms of time, money and convenience. So really people are entitled to comment if they find those weddings a bit of a trial. I am more than happy for Bob and Sarah to get married in the middle of nowhere and to spend 3 hours being photographed in front of the lake and so on. But if there's pressure on me to attend, using up 3 days annual leave, spending hundreds of euro, and hanging around bored on one of my precious days off work, then I think I am entitled to have a view.

3 days leave.....were they getting married on Wednesday? Nobody puts pressure on you to use 3 days leave (you could have went after work), spend hundreds of euro (drink the wine with dinner, gift is up to you), hang around bored (go home then).

I'm intrigued how there was pressure for 3 days leave!!!

It can be a lot more than 3 days if the wedding is abroad. Even in Ireland a wedding midweek a four hour drive away can necessitate travelling over the day before, staying the day of the wedding, and travelling back the next day, so three days in all.
    And yes, I have often been left hanging around for three hours waiting for food. It's not that people want the bride and groom to stop having photos taken so they can come back and entertain their guests. It's that the meal can't start until they're back and people are starving.
    No one is whinging. We are taking part in a discussion about modern weddings and some of the newer elements that we don't like because of the cost and inconvencience they put guests to.

There is nowhere in Ireland that can't be got to the morning of the wedding......or late the night before.......taking 3 days off work is just giving yourself something to complain about in my view.....unless the wedding is at 10am which would probably give you something else to complain about!

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    Drinking from early afternoon till 5am is my definition of boring.

Fair enough, its pretty close to my idea of a perfect day. Especially when its often followed by starting on the beer again the next morning/early afternoon and having another day of it for the second day of the wedding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Made worse if they get married on a weekday and you have to take time off work.

I have 20 days leave a year - I'd rather not use one of them on someone else's wedding.

3 days leave.....were they getting married on Wednesday? Nobody puts pressure on you to use 3 days leave (you could have went after work), spend hundreds of euro (drink the wine with dinner, gift is up to you), hang around bored (go home then).

I'm intrigued how there was pressure for 3 days leave!!!

Because if you're travelling from your homeplace to a venue four hours drive away you need to travel down the day before the wedding, or get up at the crack of dawn on the day of the wedding. Likewise, if you're attending the wedding you're not really going to face a four hour drive home. Therefore you need to take the Tues, Wed and Thurs off.
    Are you seriously suggesting that guests should announce, before the meal, that they're bored with the wait and are heading off home now?

The hundreds of euro is the cost of overnight stay, petrol, gift, buying your round of drinks, an outfit for the wedding and so on.

Because if you're travelling from your homeplace to a venue four hours drive away you need to travel down the day before the wedding, or get up at the crack of dawn on the day of the wedding. Likewise, if you're attending the wedding you're not really going to face a four hour drive home. Therefore you need to take the Tues, Wed and Thurs off.
    Are you seriously suggesting that guests should announce, before the meal, that they're bored with the wait and are heading off home now?

Why do you need to take the Tuesday off? Just drive down after work on Tuesday. The earliest mass is usually around 1pm so even driving the day before would only mean leaving around 9am if its a 4 hour drive and 4 hours is a rarity in Ireland.

That being said I do agree that its mad having mid week weddings. They should be either Friday or Saturday.

Why do you need to take the Tuesday off? Just drive down after work on Tuesday. The earliest mass is usually around 1pm so even driving the day before would only mean leaving around 9am if its a 4 hour drive and 4 hours is a rarity in Ireland.

There is no way I would be able for a four hour drive after a heavy day at work. I wouldn't even attempt it.

Also, it's not just the travel. It's the 'go on, go on' re the next day barbecue or whatever.

There is no way I would be able for a four hour drive after a heavy day at work. I wouldn't even attempt it.

Fair enough most people wouldn't think twice about it though, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest and I regularly do long drives after work.

Fair enough most people wouldn't think twice about it.

Most people I know would, believe me. Especially driving along unfamiliar country roads after it gets dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Also, it's not just the travel. It's the 'go on, go on' re the next day barbecue or whatever.

You are determined to make a drama out of the whole wedding !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

My wife and I planned our wedding around the guests. We avoided every thing we hated about weddings. Lots of parking. Local enough venue. Short civil ceremony on the hotel grounds. Plenty of drinks and food at the reception. Early five course dinner. Nothing fancy. Finger food out early enough. Non-intrusive band. Subsidised rooms. Went very well. Very little stress on all involved. We were pretty proud of it.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    You are determined to make a drama out of the whole wedding !

No, I'm not. I'm talking about the kind of situations that make certain weddings inconvenient for guests.

• Advertisement

The local venue isn't always possible for everyone though. If the bride is from one side of the country and the groom from the other there is no avoiding the fact that the grooms guests will have to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Most people I know would, believe me. Especially driving along unfamiliar country roads after it gets dark.

have you considered, ye know.... turning down the invitation?? :confused::rolleyes:

The local venue isn't always possible for everyone though. If the bride is from one side of the country and the groom from the other there is no avoiding the fact that the grooms guests will have to travel.

Yes, it's totally understandable in that situation. I'm talking about scenarios where the B&G pick some random picturesque location, and book the wedding for a weekday because it will be cheaper for themselves.
    But obviously if the bride's from Sligo and the groom's from Kerry, one side or the other are going to have to travel.

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    have you considered, ye know.... turning down the invitation?? :confused::rolleyes:

Have you considered, ye know, reading the full thread and the many times this point has been answered. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Have you considered, ye know, reading the full thread and the many times this point has been ansered. :rolleyes:

No. No I have not.

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    No. No I have not.

Yeah, I gathered that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

As long as the location is not absolutely awkward to get to it's grand. Some people always will have to travel, that doesn't bother me really, what bothers me is if it is in some really awkward to get to place and then followed by a reception in some other awkward to get to place.
    I get it gives amazing pictures but I don't wanna stay in the car half the day in festive clothes because of them.

The hundreds of euro is the cost of overnight stay, petrol, gift, buying your round of drinks, an outfit for the wedding and so on.

How early would a wedding need to be and where in Ireland would it need to be that you couldn't drive down the morning of the wedding? You don't have to stay for the BBQ the day after - saying you fall for the "ah go on" is just pathetic. Do you not need a 4th day off in this instance? We never stay for the next day unless it is a family member, and if it is close enough to home (<1hr) one of us drives depending on whose friend it is. You don't even have to stay the night but I suspect the amount of weddings you go to at Mizen Head from Malin is significant by the sounds of it......

I think you are just looking for stuff to complain about champ, everything you have whinged about can be fixed......by yourself.

This is a discussion about weddings. This isn't the first time you've come on this thread accusing someone who holds a different view to you of 'whinging'.

I've explained my throwaway '3 days' comment several times. Make it 2 days for an Irish wedding and 4 days for a foreign wedding if you prefer. I'm not going to keep analysing it. The point I was making was about weddings being held midweek in awkward locations putting guests to extra inconvenience. You obviously don't have a problem with that, fine. A lot of people do, also fine.

• Advertisement

This is a discussion about weddings. This isn't the first time you've come on this thread accusing someone who holds a different view to you of 'whinging'.

I've explained my throwaway '3 days' comment several times. Make it 2 days for an Irish wedding and 4 days for a foreign wedding if you prefer. I'm not going to keep analysing it. The point I was making was about weddings being held midweek in awkward locations putting guests to extra inconvenience. You obviously don't have a problem with that, fine. A lot of people do, also fine.

How many weddings have you attended
    1. Midweek (not Friday)
    2. In a very inconvenient location (and tell us how far).

I hate Thursday weddings, go to them the morning of the wedding and go home that night. End of. If it is a 4 hour drive away, we will both drive and divide the driving, leaving after dinner. I've been to lots of weddings and only 1 on a Thursday.

There is no expectation to attend a foreign wedding (especially for friends), but if it was a family member, would you not be happy for them instead of complaining about going? I have been to foreign weddings, won't be going to another. But it was on a Saturday, so we flew out Friday and back Sunday. So 1 days leave.

Advertisement