Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weddings - a terrible day out.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

"Your man's uncle Theyoungchap didn't turn up. wonder what prompted that.
    The whole family seemed a bit odd if you ask me"

You have to be joking if you think no one gives a toss or notices absences.
    More political intrigue than Jason Bourne could handle.

“Well I always knew Una was jealous of me. She had a tantrum do ya remember the night of the Debs when I showed up with Conor because she’d shifted him at the Saw Doctors gig in Tullamore the night Aoife ended up getting her stomach pumped in A&E. The bitch says she isn’t coming to the wedding now. Just because she’s 20st weight after having the second child. Well **** her I’ll never talk to her again. Bad enough she nearly ruined me hens weekend by refusing to let that stripper grind her in the club in Santa Ponsa. Her husbands a pervvy creep too”.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Advice on marriage. From a priest.

How appropriate. :rolleyes:

The desperation of people to have their “perfect day”.

Yes it’s not as if a priest would know anything about marriage.
    It’s not as if they actually grew up as part of a family (often a very large family) with parents who are married and brothers and sisters who are married and have kids.
    No. Priests fell down out of the sky and haven’t a clue about family life.
    Zebra3 scanning active threads on boards to see if there’s anywhere he can squeeze in his never ending not a bit boring one man war on RCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Dakota Dan wrote:
    Not so Long ago it was the people that didn't get invites that got ratty over it, looks is like it's after going the opposite way now.

The thing with weddings - people will ALWAYS find something to complain about!
    Patww79 wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Me either and we must have had minimum 4 a year the last 5 years!
    LirW wrote:
    I think there is a good bit of truth to the saying "the 2 main things people will remember from a wedding is how the bride looked and the food".

Lol I always say people will only remember the food and the band!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

LirW wrote: »
    I think there is a good bit of truth to the saying "the 2 main things people will remember from a wedding is how the bride looked and the food".

In fairness at some stage one white dress is just like another. :D I always remember the food and wine. I especially remember if wine glasses are not topped up properly. I'm not a big drinker but you need decent wine with food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭facehugger99

LirW wrote: »

Most men will be lucky to remember she was wearing a white dress.

Food and the music are the two main things.

[quote="qwerty

So a friend spends tens of thousands of euro and 8months to organize their big day and it fine to say, " Nah! I'll give it a miss, something new out on netflix next weekend".[/quote]

Honestly. If someone I’m fond of spends thousands of pounds and a huge amount of time organizing a day out then that is a desicion that he/she made of their own free will and I wish them a lovely wedding but I don’t want to go/can’t really afford to go... tell me why I have to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

meeeeh wrote: »
    In fairness at some stage one white dress is just like another. :D I always remember the food and wine. I especially remember if wine glasses are not topped up properly. I'm not a big drinker but you need decent wine with food.

Ah dear, that's gonna be a tough one for me, I'm not drinking and the man isn't a wine person, if we pick wine with the food the most I can do is "the white one that is the cheapest!". No clue about wine whatsoever.

Food is crucial though, I've been to a wedding years ago that had massive catering problems and instead of 6 food was served at 8. Everyone was drunk and starving, that's a really bad combo.

Also have been to a drink reception in the Bison bar, they have a small function room with private bar. The staff told the couple afterwards that they sold a good number of meals during their drink reception to guests, simply because people didn't want to wait until the normal dinner (and because it's bison and their pulled pork sandwich is divine).
    Food literally makes or breaks a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

....... wrote: »

:D:D:D:D

All the brides look pretty much the same as one another. All beautiful but it’s all a blurgh of white/ivory/cream in the end.

• Advertisement

Advice on marriage. From a priest.

How appropriate. :rolleyes:

The desperation of people to have their “perfect day”.

Pre-marriage courses are not hosted by priests. The courses are given by lay people most of whom are married.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

splinter65 wrote: »
    Yes it’s not as if a priest would know anything about marriage.
    It’s not as if they actually grew up as part of a family (often a very large family) with parents who are married and brothers and sisters who are married and have kids.
    No. Priests fell down out of the sky and haven’t a clue about family life.
    Zebra3 scanning active threads on boards to see if there’s anywhere he can squeeze in his never ending not a bit boring one man war on RCC.

So they are experts in long-term relationships despite (usually) never having been in one?

I might get that IT worker in to fix the short circuit upstairs later.

It wasnt family life the poster referred to - it was marriage.

There is a huge difference between observing other peoples marriages and experiencing being in a marriage.

I genuinely cant see how a priest would have a clue about being in a marriage unless he had be married before he joined the priesthood.

Grew up in a house with married parents for 18+ Years , probably married aunts uncles grandparents neighbors friends brothers sisters etc, will have experienced deaths and separations and divorces and rows etc within and would have no observations about marriage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

I had a bride tell me that below a hundred guests is a loss. 150 is break even. 180 is a small profit. If you want to pay a bit of the house off 250. I was speechless...
    Yes a lot of weddings are muck. I enjoy watching especially at a country wedding watching the redneck rampage as the single guy or girl all dressed up and smart at 1pm staggering about with soiled shirt and tie on there head drunkenly mumbling i need to get some feckin hole!! While sweet caroline is playing in the background...

So they are experts in long-term relationships despite (usually) never having been in one?

I might get that IT worker in to fix the short circuit upstairs later.

So only married people are allowed to comment on family life? I’m a bit surprised at you Zebra, that’s a bit narrow minded for you, I’d have thought you’d be all on board with the idea that families come in all shapes and sizes.
    Just proves you shouldn’t make assumptions .

So tell me Father, what should I do when I ask her to try a new sexual position and she isnt into it?

“Well my dad used to batter my mother, so.....”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

So tell me Father, what should I do when I ask her to try a new sexual position and she isnt into it?

“Discuss your wants and needs in the bedroom like resoectfull loving adults?”
    I suppose would be the answer.
    How do you think a married couple giving the marriage preparation course would answer that.
    You do know that there’s always a married person co chairing the marriage preparation courses, don’t you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I know a few priests who have better family life than some people they are marrying. :D

Anyway pre wedding courses are usually run by smug married volunteers. I bet the priest doing it would be a lot shorter and less annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think (personally) that if the middle bit was cut out completely it would be tolerable.

You know, the bit between the end of the ceremony and the dinner. The hours of hanging around starving waiting for B+G to finish the photos. OMG that has to be the worst. And it's usually when stuck in some out of the way venue where you can't even drop in the local hostillery for an hour or two and have a bit of craic, no... you (well ladies) have to stand around in heels on damp grass and sip a prosecco with a ritz cracker and a half a teaspoon of pate to keep you going. I absolutely hate that bit, adds hours to the day.

Anyway I wish someone would come up with some ideas on that one!

My ideal wedding would be a short registry office or on site ceremony, a short (half an hour) drinks thinngy and straight into the meal.

If people weren't so supersticious about the groom seeing you all dressed up before the day, the photos could be taken a few days before. And all that would be left photo wise is the ceremony and the hotel bit. No one notices that as everyone is in the same place.

I know I'm wittering on, but at one wedding a few years ago the B+G were missing for three hours (probably not all photo related who knows!), and I was getting narky and wanted to just fekkin leave!

Anyway, am enjoying the thread. Just goes to show everyone is different, and different people have different expectations, needs and wants.

“Well my dad used to batter my mother, so.....”

I knew you had issues in the background...

splinter65 wrote: »
    So only married people are allowed to comment on family life? I’m a bit surprised at you Zebra, that’s a bit narrow minded for you, I’d have thought you’d be all on board with the idea that families come in all shapes and sizes.
    Just proves you shouldn’t make assumptions .

No, I never said only married people should comment on family life. But hey why not make things up???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

OMG YOU CAN'T DO THAT (no, honestly, it's grand, I like that mindset)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Anyway pre wedding courses are usually run by smug married volunteers. I bet the priest doing it would be a lot shorter and less annoying.

Smug is the fcukin word for the ones who were at my pre-marriage course.

The whole day was awful.

We had to do role-plays - not the exciting sexy kind either - the situation was that the husband (obviously) was a fcuking slob who kept leaving his dirty socks thrown on the floor and the long-suffering wife had to nag him into submission. I wish I was joking - that was literally the scenario we were expected to act out (in front of about 20 other couples).

We also had a 30 minute module on the human reproductive system complete with biology diagrams of the male and female genitalia.

This was in 2004 BTW - not the '70's.

It was a whole day - 9am until 5pm. I had an absolutely horrific hangover too. We actually had to pay for that day of ****e - what a scam!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    With that attitude the only person you'd be riding at the end of the night is yourself😀

Wow, very sour response. Believe me dude, I’ve no problem with bedding members of the more dangerous sex. Up to the seam of my nutpurse in fanny most weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

You kind of do though. And you have to give 150 as a gift if you’re single, or 300 if you’re a couple. They are nearly always a complete waste of a day. As I said, the only positive is that there’s a decent chance you’ll chat up a bird later on in the evenings, and retire to the massively overpriced room for a bit of the beast with two backs.

300 quid? Ah ffs I wouldn't give the colour of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

Advertisement