Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So who's going to see the Pope?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭J. Smith

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Your opinion, which means .......guess?

A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Anyway despite the best efforts of the saddos (the ones who always have someone or something to blame for their shortfalls) trying to hijack the tickets it looks like being a sell out!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Anyway despite the best efforts of the saddos (the ones who always have someone or something to blame for their shortfalls) trying to hijack the tickets it looks like being a sell out!

How is a free event a sell out, you also missed the point of people requesting multiple tickets. How do you think an event 'sells out' ? If you want to buy free tickets I can sell you some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭donaldtramp

The vast majority of people going to this type of stuff would be elderly. It's become less of a tend for younger people to be interested in this.

And yes, it's a free event, so it's shocking that everybody is so negative about this kind of thing.

J. Smith wrote:
    A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge?

I know what opinion means, I was just asking what value do you think your opinion carries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

The vast majority of people going to this type of stuff would be elderly. It's become less of a tend for younger people to be interested in this.

And yes, it's a free event, so it's shocking that everybody is so negative about this kind of thing.

I don't find it shocking at all that people are negative about the catholic church. They have done a huge amount of harm to a huge amount of people.

I know what opinion means, I was just asking what value do you think your opinion carries.

Well obviously he thinks his opinion matters if he decides to voice it.
    Pretty dumb question.

Well obviously he thinks his opinion matters if he decides to voice it. Pretty dumb question.

It matters to him, of no value to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

optogirl wrote: »
    I don't find it shocking at all that people are negative about the catholic church. They have done a huge amount of harm to a huge amount of people.

The problem with ideologues like you is you can't distinguish between the Church and its members. Fr Kevin on Church Street gets up at 5 am. every morning to feed the homeless and destitute. I suppose you have it in for him as well do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The problem with ideologues like you is you can't distinguish between the Church and its members. Fr Kevin on Church Street gets up at 5 am. every morning to feed the homeless and destitute. I suppose you have it in for him as well do you?

Nah. Just the head honcho who enables the crimes by doing nothing to stop them and moving offerebders to different locations.

• Advertisement

And I am sorry but this is such simplistic nonsense. The Church has done harm but it has also done good. What about the people who live alone but great solace from going to mass every week and meeting people. The Priests in Drimnagh go out most nights and visit the sick and elderly. I suppose they're evil incarnate.

Nah. Just the head honcho who enables the crimes by doing nothing to stop them and moving offerebders to different locations.

Was I talking to you?

No they haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Was I talking to you?

It doesn’t matter who you were talking to. If you don’t like others replying then you should probably send PMs. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Or Mary McAleese, a devout Catholic who has advocated on behalf of those not represented by the Church for acceptance.

No they haven't.

It's the power of fashionable opinion unfortunately. They'll move on their next target soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Why does the good they do never get talked about.

Or Mary McAleese, a devout Catholic who has advocated on behalf of those not represented by the Church for acceptance.

She's a raving attention seeker who wants the Church to abandon all its principles in favour of fashionable liberal orthodoxy. Even then, I doubt she goes around abusing priests, calling them all pedophiles.

I don't 'have it in' for anyone. Fr. Kevin's work is wonderful & vital and I admire him greatly - he has contributed greatly to the housing conversation & for me is a very welcome voice. However, it's easier for him than the average Joe to do that work because he never has to worry about having a roof over his head or a meal in his belly. He will always be looked after. I simply said I can understand people being angry with the church. It is difficult to separate the individuals (and boy are there a lot) within the church that did such harm and engaged in criminal activity and the organisation that allowed them to continue to do so by ignoring them, moving them onto new victims and even rewarding them with well paid higher positions. The institution itself is rotten to the core so yes, it is galling for a great many people to have the head of such an organisation be flattered & bowed to in our state.

No they haven't.

Come off it

• Advertisement

Why does the good they do never get talked about.

Probaly because the abuse of children and moving on of perpetrators was so heinous/evil it overshadows the good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

Let's see how consistent you are. Would you favour of closing all care homes in the State? There has been scandal after scandal involving staff. What about Chelsea football club? Last year a former coach was jailed for abusing young players. Many of the top brass knew about it and didn't do anything. Should Chelsea fans stop going to Stamford Bridge? Should the club disband?

Probaly because the abuse of children and moving on of perpetrators was so heinous/evil it overshadows the good?

And do you think the parishioners in Churches support the perpetrators?

What about Chelsea football club? Last year a former coach was jailed for abusing young players. Many of the top brass knew about it and didn't do anything. Should Chelsea fans stop going to Stamford Bridge? Should the club disband?

"Whataboutery " expert level unlocked.

Come off it

You're blaming the Church, a private organization, for something which is the State's responsibility.

....... wrote: »

Answer my question, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

How is a free event a sell out, you also missed the point of people requesting multiple tickets. How do you think an event 'sells out' ? If you want to buy free tickets I can sell you some.

You could substitute full house for sell out if you felt up to it! Although judging by your post I'd say you would probably need a lie down afterwards.

Advertisement