Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who's going to see the Pope?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Like a few other posters on here that is, if you don't mind me saying, a very juvenile analysis of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Like a few other posters on here that is, if you don't mind me saying, a very juvenile analysis of things.

In what way? do you think you could get to the top of the RCC without having known about and kept quiet about abuse? I am genuinely interested to hear that argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Children and the most vunerable in society have been , and are being, abused in every conceivable fashion-even as we speak. That abuse is all around us , in the clergy, in the home, in fact anywhere you care to think of. Human trafficking is at an all time high and slavery or as near to slavery that makes no difference is rampant throughout the world. But some rather than attempt to do anything about it( is it on the manifesto of any western political party ? ) prefer to try and sate their conscience by pointing at the Pope and going tut tut while continuing to buy the merchandise produced by slave and child labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's embarrassing to see grown adults fuss over a well meaning if deluded man who believes fantasy should be taken as gospel, pun intended.
    The Pope coming brings us all back to the question nothing dark days.

I would like to see the Pope apologise to the Irish people for the criminal organisation he leads.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

I'm considering to travel to see the Pope and support his views on abortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Aye the priests were found of juveniles too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭J. Smith

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    'For evil to triumph good men must do nothing" Not word for word E Burkes quote but I'm sure you get the gist.

I do – and I get it, and I agree – mostly. But respectfully – I think there's better ways to achieve something that doesn't involve depriving well-intentioned people the chance to see the Pope. Religion brings a lot of comfort to some people. I don't need it – you don't need it, we are lucky – from our perspectives. But other people aren't so – of course, they ARE – from their perspective, and that's great – for them. But if it DOES give them comfort – regardless of ANYthing, who is ANYbody to try and take that away from them? Isn't life tough enough? This event – as much as you disagree with it, and as valid as some of your points may be: WILL bring PEACE to many people. It will BRING 'PEACE' to THEIR beings. THEY will FEEL peace. Ordering tickets as some sort of protest WILL deprive PEACE – and a HAPPINESS, from people – that are just trying to get on with it. It's just mean.

Let people find their own light – whatever it is...

J. Smith wrote: »
    I do – and I get it, and I agree – mostly. But respectfully – I think there's better ways to achieve something that doesn't involve depriving well-intentioned people the chance to see the Pope. Religion brings a lot of comfort to some people. I don't need it – you don't need it, we are lucky – from our perspectives. But other people aren't so – of course, they ARE – from their perspective, and that's great – for them. But if it DOES give them comfort – regardless of ANYthing, who is ANYbody to try and take that away from them? Isn't life tough enough? This event – as much as you disagree with it, and as valid as some of your points may be: WILL bring PEACE to many people. It will BRING 'PEACE' to THEIR beings. THEY will FEEL peace. Ordering tickets as some sort of protest WILL deprive PEACE – and a HAPPINESS, from people – that are just trying to get on with it. It's just mean.

Let people find their own light – whatever it is...

Religion shouldn't be encouraged. As well meaning as it's generally intended, people use it to sway others towards their often nefarious and selfish will. The Catholic Church actively covered up for and supported child molestation over decades. Devotion to such an institution, while your own business, shouldn't be catered for by the state in any small way.
    If somebody is comforted by a lie or delusion, if we leave them to it are we helping or harming them?

• Advertisement

That's your opinion and the opinion of those like yourself who believe that you, me, daisy the cow & shep the dog are all the same, no difference. I OTOH happen to believe otherwise. So hey stay at home, don't go, who cares!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just think of the amount of sick **** that went down when the pedos were sent off to poor countries.

No wonder nobody wants to be a priest anymore. Right to pedo gone forever

That's your opinion and the opinion of those like yourself who believe that you, me, daisy the cow & shep the dog are all the same, no difference. I OTOH happen to believe otherwise. So hey stay at home, don't go, who cares!

You ok hun? Having a moment?

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    You ok hun? Having a moment?

I just knew! I just knew you would be the type of fella that would use the word 'hun', I just knew, ugghh!

I just knew! I just knew you would be the type of fella that would use the word 'hun', I just knew, ugghh!

So you're not ok hun? Wanna talk about it?

In the mindset of a 12 year old or someone who is perhaps not the brightest your assertion may carry some weight but if you had even a smidgeon of knowledge of theology you would rethink pretty much everything that you post.

Oh God,

Not another guy who allowed his parents to do his thinking for him and forced him into the clergy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭J. Smith

Religion shouldn't be encouraged. As well meaning as it's generally intended, people use it to sway others towards their often nefarious and selfish will. The Catholic Church actively covered up for and supported child molestation over decades. Devotion to such an institution, while your own business, shouldn't be catered for by the state in any small way.
    If somebody is comforted by a lie or delusion, if we leave them to it are we helping or harming them?

I REALLY don't know – it's a serious complex thing, religion. I DO agree with your post – I just think it's TERRIBLY mean to deprive somebody of a ticket to this event. In my opinion – it's just not cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

You clearly have a very superficial understanding of religion and religious people.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Whether it’s morally justified in the minds of people who take up tickets with the intention of depriving others, is moot. It’s just a dick move.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Children and the most vunerable in society have been , and are being, abused in every conceivable fashion-even as we speak.

You would agree then that any organisation which facilitates abusers and helps them evade justice is a criminal organisation?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Wouldnt even go if I was paid a months salary to go.

You clearly have a very superficial understanding of religion and religious people.

Actually I'm Irish. That should cover it no? How about studying 'Religion' in every school year? How about being taught by Nuns, then Christian brothers? Would you say I'd have more than a passing idea like?

I hope the Pope and his church paid through the nose for the privilege of being let say his incantations on state property. Anyone who wants to go is welcome in my book, even free thinkers who exist in reality and the gay community ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not a chance they'll be paying a cent.

Meanwhile we pick up the tab for all the garda and other emergency services overtime, cost of disruption and road closures, etc.

The state didn't even fcuking invite him, the bloody bishops did.

Life ain't always empty.

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Wouldnt even go if I was paid a months salary to go.

*pays LeeroyJ. months salary*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Personally, I don't believe in the pope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

The state didn't even fcuking invite him, the bloody bishops did.

Shouldn't the catholic church pay the same security and traffic management costs associated with putting on a pope gig in the Phoenix Park or wherever just as any concert promoter has to pay the cost of putting on a Lil Pump concert in Marlay Park?

If the Irish Government officially invites a head of state or other significant dignitary/team to visit then the state should pick up the associated cost tab but where it's a private gig organised by one church then that church should be picking up the tab.

If the flying spaghetti monster church invite its chief pastafarian to visit and perform an al dente ceremony they should pick up the cost of transport/security for the 200 people who will turn up to the 3 1/2 minute event.

Same goes for the pope doing his (already alcohol infused) water into wine trick in front of the 100,000 (or however many) people who want to watch his 60 minute show.

Advertisement