Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Very cloudy here in north cork near Mallow. Not even a hint of hazy sunshine. Hopefully it will brighten up soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Closed the windows when I got up this morning , first time in over a week. I'm not one to wish away the good weather, but while it's this dull it may aswell rain.

Still haven't seen as much as a drop of rain here since May 22nd. Crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Will those showers make it from Biscay today? Looks like they might!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We had a nice steady breeze all day yesterday, made it very bearable.

Bright and sunny again today breeze still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Yet another stunning morning in dublin, not a cloud in the sky and hardly a breath of wind, can feel it starting to warm up with the sun beating down. Phenomenal stretch of weather.

Really struggling to remember the last time I actually saw it rain in dublin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Will those showers make it from Biscay today? Looks like they might!

Models have backed off any real rainfall, a couple including the ECM showing light rain / drizzle along S / SE coasts later. Maybe some drizzle / light rain in the NW / W under low stratus.

Coolest start in a long time here near Tralee at just 15.6C atm, light breeze and low stratus.

Lh3dAe8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

Jaysus lads........‘‘tis freezing in the brisk wind & 14.1* temperatures. !!!!! That’s even more powerful drying than the sun.
    If it’s going to be like this I’d sooner a sprinkle of rain for me veggies & flowers. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM's 0Z predicted temperatures for the next 5 days.

QbQb4Hd.png

H41h0yr.png

wp4mYIv.png

lfRHm5i.png

3aqPXaJ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

cloudy and cold in Sligo

Hurray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Phoenix Park in dublin the warmest place in Ireland in the 10am met eireann readings at 21 degrees, dublin airport 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Hottest weather in 100 years according to MetEireann
    Is that true?

https://twitter.com/NuachtTG4/status/1013113954283991042

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Nice and overcast here in Limerick, totally suitable for getting things done.

zell12 wrote: »
    Hottest weather in 100 years according to MetEireann
    Is that true?

https://twitter.com/NuachtTG4/status/1013113954283991042

They massage the numbers to make the stats agree with whatever record they want you to believe was broken. It wssnt Ireland's hottest temp, it wasnt Ireland's longest heatwave, it's not Ireland's worst drought. It was a cracking week where one station briefly hit 32.0c.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

They massage the numbers to make the stats agree with whatever record they want you to believe was broken. It wssnt Ireland's hottest temp, it wasnt Ireland's longest heatwave, it's not Ireland's worst drought. It was a cracking week where one station briefly hit 32.0c.

It was however the hottest temperature ever recorded in Shannon, and likely for the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It was the hottest week since the end of June and start of July 1976. It was the sunniest week since the beginning of May 2017. It was the driest week since July 2013. I know that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Still sunny with a clear sky on the Cork coast anyway, slightly hazy. can’t see clouds in the distance yet. Windy though.

Just realised June is over. Longer days but my god that was a fast month.

Can't wait to see a breakdown of everything and how it compares with previous Junes/heatwaves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Nice sunny morning here in kildare temps way back at 21..isn’t it mad that 21 now feels cold after last week

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

dacogawa wrote: »
    Of course if people paid by usage we wouldn’t have so many people over using the water now to fill their little darlings plastic paddling pools.

I'm sure there is an Irish Water thread for this type of stealth tax talk:D

We know some other countries pay for water but when you have as much water as we usually have and as many other taxes and/or bills that other countries in the EU don't...
    I personally think it's easier to say "When it's really dry, don't waste water" rather than the "if people paid by usage" it sounds like it's straight out of an Irish Water pamphlet

This is really short sighted. Firstly, the point of a water tax was always to allow a national water authority to be able to repair and replace the countless instances of inefficient and broken water infrastructure components that are all over the country. Secondly, it would be extremely naive to rely upon the assumption that the weather will continue to do what it always has done.

Irish Water as an entity was a complete disaster in every way and I'm glad the water tax for it is dead, but the reality is we're going to need one in some form soon, because our climate is only going to become less predictable as the years pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

MJohnston wrote: »
    This is really short sighted. Firstly, the point of a water tax was always to allow a national water authority to be able to repair and replace the countless instances of inefficient and broken water infrastructure components that are all over the country. Secondly, it would be extremely naive to rely upon the assumption that the weather will continue to do what it always has done.

Irish Water as an entity was a complete disaster in every way and I'm glad the water tax for it is dead, but the reality is we're going to need one in some form soon, because our climate is only going to become less predictable as the years pass.
    There is absolutely no reason why the water infrastructure can't be maintained out of general taxation. I agree with metering for usage monitoring and leak detection, but not for charging households for reasonable consumption.

We have grants for improving insulation and energy efficiency, we can have grants for installing water saving measures and repairing leaks

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭barneyrub

pauldry wrote: »
    cloudy and cold in Sligo

Hurray

And a good breeze!

Guess today is catch up on housework day! Too warm to do anything up til now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

MJohnston wrote: »

I never said that money doesn't need to be put into the infrastructure so calling me short sighted is quite unfair, and quite insulting.

I never suggested that our weather will stay the same, I pointed out that we usually have more water. When funds of €439 million in 2015 and €399 million in 2016 were taken out of the Local Government Fund (paid for with motor tax) to pay for 2/3 of Irish Water I don't think we need another push of "Pay for Water", that was the point I was making, noting about climate change or crumbling infrastructure.

I also agree totally with what @Akrasia said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Very cloudy and muggy up here in NW/Derry area.
    sun hasn't burnt through yet.

dacogawa wrote: »
    I never said that money doesn't need to be put into the infrastructure so calling me short sighted is quite unfair, and quite insulting.

I never suggested that our weather will stay the same, I pointed out that we usually have more water. When funds of €439 million in 2015 and €399 million in 2016 were taken out of the Local Government Fund (paid for with motor tax) to pay for 2/3 of Irish Water I don't think we need another push of "Pay for Water", that was the point I was making, noting about climate change or crumbling infrastructure.

I also agree totally with what @Akrasia said above.

Firstly I said your post was short-sighted, not you. When you say "when you have as much water as we usually have" it read like you were suggesting a kind of stasis of infrastructure would be fine, but if you don't think that, that's fair enough.

This isn't the thread for discussing Irish Water in general, but specifically regarding weather, we're going to be dealing with more extremes like these, and we're going to need some authority that prepares for that.

I also agree with what Akrasia and would point out that I did not say I think we should tax based on usage, I just said that we will need to pay for the future of water infrastructure through some form of tax.

I think it's important to note just how much dry weather impacts our way of life in many facets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod Note

Can we steer the conversation away from the pros & cons of water taxation and back towards weather please

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd say Oneiric is doing a celebraron dance. It's freezing and windy in tuam!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Its about 19c in Ennis in a warm breeze. Overcast but no sign of rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Feeling a lot warmer here in kildare the last hour heading over 25 mark breeze has reduced, the cloud cover is sporadic and is quite nice when sun disappears for a few minutes..
    Definitely could get 27 here before end of the day if cloud continues to burn off..
    5th BBQ this week and nearly a full week of having breakfast outside ...could get used to this.
    Sleep was a lot easier last night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement