Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Couldn't disagree more. I'm sick of the rain, sick of cold temps, sick of wishing I could afford to go abroad for 2 weeks, sick of that nauseating "Irish grey" we seem to get 360 days of the year. I love this weather. The country can burn for the next 2 months for all I care, I'm enjoying every second :)

I had the best time over the last few days. I love to be outdoors. I'm not a sunbather, I find all that nonsense as well as buying 99's completely ridiculous.

I like to DO things when out and about in glorious sunshine. For example I spent an hour every day for the last week bashing a tennis ball against a wall in the local empty car park after 6pm. It's free, it's healthy and it was fun.

I can't understand why ppl would prefer to stay indoors of an evening and watch brainless soaps. I find that lifestyle utterly depressing. I suppose psychologically ppl don't like change from what they are used to but I bet you if we had consistent summers like this every year ppl wouldn't complain about it as much and would in fact prefer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

CeilingFly wrote: »
    [/B]

Did you give a link to a correct report? Nothing in that to say there is a shortage, rather it is correctly saying that to manage supply restrictions are to be put in place.

And its rte and not a sensationalist rag, hence its a more reliable source of news.[/QUOTE]

Simply you and I are interpreting the meaning of the word "shortage" differently... OF course there is a shortage ie supply is daily being dwarfed by demand and minimising that fact is dangerous. and complacent. Ireland has a water shortage ..Over and out.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Temps a more modest mid 20s at the moment here but feels even dirtier and stickier than the last few days which is saying a lot.

although there was wind

Couldn't disagree more. I'm sick of the rain, sick of cold temps, sick of wishing I could afford to go abroad for 2 weeks, sick of that nauseating "Irish grey" we seem to get 360 days of the year. I love this weather. The country can burn for the next 2 months for all I care, I'm enjoying every second :)

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Good deal cloudier here now and feels a bit fresher at least tonight it wont be as uncomfortable for sleeping. Another very warm day. Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Those in the west, big difference in the 10pm reports tonight compared to last night

Knock 15 degrees
    Mace head 15 degrees
    Newport 15 degrees
    Belmullet 15 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

AllForIt wrote: »
    The clouds came in here in West Mayo in late afternoon. Temp dropped significantly. I was sorry to see it go - I was just getting used to it. It's overcast and somewhat dull here now, no direct sunlight and the 'buzz' of the good weather is gone all of a sudden. :(

i think the way we have 'getting used to it" re the high temps around 30'c that now 20'c is going to feel quite nippy to us now i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

I can't understand why ppl would prefer to stay indoors of an evening and watch brainless soaps. I find that lifestyle utterly depressing. I suppose psychologically ppl don't like change from what they are used to but I bet you if we had consistent summers like this every year ppl wouldn't complain about it as much and would in fact prefer it.

If we had this weather every year then people would have aircon in their homes, screen doors that let air move through the house without letting insects in, the roads would be treated so they don't melt and farms would have irrigation systems to handle this.

We're a population used to summers of 17-19 degrees with unusually good days being 22-24.

If there's one thing I miss about the Irish weather it's changeability. It used to be the afternoon would be different to the morning and tomorrow would be different to today. Now everything gets "stuck" and long outstays its welcome. We don't just get a cold period, we get unceasing cold for months that won't shift. We don't just get a warm period, we get unceasing warmth that won't let up for even a day so I can actually get a decent night's sleep and have a decent hot meal.

I'm reasonably fit, I went for a 4km run this morning and this heat is draining everything out of me. There are so many what if's that it's frustrating - what if it was a few degrees cooler, what if the sun set a little earlier so there was more of a chance to cool down, what if there was 4-5 days of heat and then a cooler day to recover. Instead everything is at the maximum possible.

It's great that you love the heat but it's like if you picked a holiday destination and forcibly brought 5 million people along with you plus a few billion in infrastructure that can't handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

mg1982 wrote: »
    Good deal cloudier here now and feels a bit fresher at least tonight it wont be as uncomfortable for sleeping. Another very warm day. Sligo.

every morning I have been waking up feeling so de-hydrated even though I have had a glass of water before bed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The clouds came in here in West Mayo in late afternoon. Temp dropped significantly. I was sorry to see it go - I was just getting used to it. It's overcast and somewhat dull here now, no direct sunlight and the 'buzz' of the good weather is gone all of a sudden. :(

yep the buzz is certainly gone,
    ahh the good old anaemic temperature shadings have bleed into the west on the charts again,its been a while.
    feels very cold this evening in west mayo,was 21 degrees this time last nite,now its 15.
    anyways the heatwave narrative shifts towards the east,and thats all that matters essentially,cue the endless moaning from suburbia and that awful costa del brey shyte for the next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Glorious day here and still clear sky here in north east meath but it seems cloudy to the south of us and moving this way

Cloud never made it this far, clear sky all the way again here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ahh the good old anaemic temperature shadings have bleed into the west on the charts again,its been a while.
    feels very cold this evening in west mayo,was 21 degrees this time last nite,now its 15.
    anyways the heatwave narrative shifts towards the east,and thats all that matters essentially,cue the endless moaning from suburbia and that awful costa del brey shyte for the next week.

Don't panic the sun will be back with you in the west by Monday :cool:

Those in the west, big difference in the 10pm reports tonight compared to last night

Knock 15 degrees
    Mace head 15 degrees
    Newport 15 degrees
    Belmullet 15 degrees

Great! I am actually IN the bed rather than ON the bed. Sweet normality. oh and is that the wind i hear?Ahhh! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

21C at 10pm at Malin Head, which is warmer than some of the days it had during the hottest days this week that the country experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I can now breathe at last. Lovely breeze this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A bit of high cloud moved up from the south after 8pm, stayed west of here and managed to kill a stunning sunset.

Our nights here around Durrow have been *fairly* comfortable as each night for the last week our overnight lows fell to:

Fri 22nd: 5.8c
    Sat 23rd: 7.3c
    Sun 24th: 8.6c
    Mon 25th: 11.5c
    Tue 26th: 11.7c
    Wed 27th: 11.4c
    Thu 28th: 12.9c
    Fri 29th: 11.0c
    Sat 30th: 15.2c [so far...]

I'm guessing this is down to the dry hard ground radiating it's heat in the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I had the best time over the last few days. I love to be outdoors. I'm not a sunbather, I find all that nonsense as well as buying 99's completely ridiculous.

I like to DO things when out and about in glorious sunshine. For example I spent an hour every day for the last week bashing a tennis ball against a wall in the local empty car park after 6pm. It's free, it's healthy and it was fun.

While I love the sun and prefer it to be as warm as possible, the Irish summer is all about the late evenings for me.

It can rain at 6 pm but by 8 pm it can be sunny and warm and perfect for going for a walk. I don't get Irish people been surprised by the weather we get and sometimes I have to ask if they are new to this land.

My mother in law is cold when it drops below 22 degrees in her country and while it's usually about 30 degrees or higher when I visit, I always find it strange that the sun sets about 6pm even though it's still warm and sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

wind.png

Someone turned off the wind around Durrow at 9pm SHARP!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

a balmy 19c here in galway lovely wind. close to pleasant lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max of 25.0c here in Waterford City and definitely a fresher feel than of late but still nearing Midnight and its 16.4c.
    Its looking to the South East for the High Temps for the next few days anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Danno wrote: »
    A bit of high cloud moved up from the south after 8pm, stayed west of here and managed to kill a stunning sunset.

Our nights here around Durrow have been *fairly* comfortable as each night for the last week our overnight lows fell to:

Fri 22nd: 5.8c
    Sat 23rd: 7.3c
    Sun 24th: 8.6c
    Mon 25th: 11.5c
    Tue 26th: 11.7c
    Wed 27th: 11.4c
    Thu 28th: 12.9c
    Fri 29th: 11.0c
    Sat 30th: 15.2c [so far...]

I'm guessing this is down to the dry hard ground radiating it's heat in the night.

I forgot how cold the 22nd was. I was thinking of lighting the fire :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

The awful Costa Del Bray shyte is tongue in cheek friend. Did the heatwave burn the sense of humour out of ya? If you don't like it I'll give you what I give the Isle of Mann nearly every snow episode ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

All this talk of drought. Thank God we don't live in a country where it rains 363 days a year,where they waste every drop that falls from the sky.!. Fook me, I don't know how we'ed cope !!!!

can't believe the 360 days of rain line is still being used at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

can't believe the 360 days of rain line is still being used at this point.

Of course if people paid by usage we wouldn’t have so many people over using the water now to fill their little darlings plastic paddling pools.

Ireland’s reservoirs are designed for normal Irish weather. Other countries have water shortages if they have droughts (winter droughts in California for instance).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Of course if people paid by usage we wouldn’t have so many people over using the water now to fill their little darlings plastic paddling pools.

I'm sure there is an Irish Water thread for this type of stealth tax talk:D

We know some other countries pay for water but when you have as much water as we usually have and as many other taxes and/or bills that other countries in the EU don't...
    I personally think it's easier to say "When it's really dry, don't waste water" rather than the "if people paid by usage" it sounds like it's straight out of an Irish Water pamphlet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Beautiful clear night! Since I can’t sleep fully due to the heat in my room (although there is a lovely cold breeze off the ocean) I can see mars below the moon (at least I think it’s mars? Believe M.T said it earlier) bright and red and the I.S.S just flashing as it’s going around. So calming and beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Mars it is. Rising a few minutes earlier every night, it will become very prominent at early enough times for a lot of people to notice it, and competing with Venus and Jupiter in the late evening sky, Saturn also right there at its brightest too. The appearance is about like this by midnight (11 pm Venus setting) in panorama with the moon making its next tour from right to left around 20 to 27 July:

______________ Mars _______________ Saturn _________________________________ Jupiter _________ Spica ________________
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    __________________________________________________________ Antares _______________________________________Venus
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    _____________ horizon ______________ south _______________________________________________________________west____
    ===================^========================^=======================^================

• Registered Users Posts: 23,614 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

00z UKMO would be depressing for farmers and gardeners. Mostly dry and the high pressure building from the southwest with temperatures rising back to very elevated levels moves to within 144 hours for next weekend.

UKMOPEU00_144_1.png

We are facing a drought situation as things currently stand. That could yet change though. Unlikely.

Deliciously cool, grey morning with wind music and a hint of moisture in the air.

West Mayo, offshore island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Much cooler night in South Dublin. We woke up cold and had to close the windows! Beautiful stuff.

Played golf a few times over the last couple of weeks. Courses starting to struggle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement