Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota is bringing back Camry and discontinuing Avensis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Old Camry was 4.8 (the last one we got) The new Camry is only slightly longer than a Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wonder will the UK get them too, they currently don't have the saloon Corolla and no mention of the Camry on their website.

Wonder will the UK get them too, they currently don't have the saloon Corolla and no mention of the Camry on their website.

http://media.toyota.co.uk/2018/06/toyota-camry-to-return-to-uk-showrooms-with-new-hybrid-electric-powertrains/

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

UK Minicab drivers will be delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

200mm equates to about 8 inches. Difference between a Camry and an Avensis. I hope people are not getting out the tape measures while cruising side by side in rival car types on the M50 at 70 kph.

It could explain the moronically slow driving I witnessed on Friday at 3.30 pm.

And not a single traffic light on the M50. Stop looking at your neighbours car.

Also the M4 westbound a short time later, not a single obstruction for 200km and stop, stop go and 5 kph until I left the road at Lucan, God knows when it freed up.

Could the toll booth at Enfield cause this cluster****??????

I recall hiring a Nissan Micra once in 1993 coming in through Shannon Airport.

Initially I thought that things would be very, very SLOWWWWWW, but it got me to Galway in less than one hour. Often it is down to the driver as I would have regarded Micras, Yarises, etc as being slow cars.

Its the drivers who are slow. There is nothing wrong with the cars.

The only thing a big car gives you is comfort which can be a good thing when you are driving high mileage to many customers on a weekly basis and have no choice and have to bring your equipment with you so cannot use public transport because you would be too slow and also piss people off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Is this yoke going to be auto only?

doolox wrote: »
    200mm equates to about 8 inches. Difference between a Camry and an Avensis. I hope people are not getting out the tape measures while cruising side by side in rival car types on the M50 at 70 kph.

It could explain the moronically slow driving I witnessed on Friday at 3.30 pm.

And not a single traffic light on the M50. Stop looking at your neighbours car.

Also the M4 westbound a short time later, not a single obstruction for 200km and stop, stop go and 5 kph until I left the road at Lucan, God knows when it freed up.

Could the toll booth at Enfield cause this cluster****??????

I recall hiring a Nissan Micra once in 1993 coming in through Shannon Airport.

Initially I thought that things would be very, very SLOWWWWWW, but it got me to Galway in less than one hour. Often it is down to the driver as I would have regarded Micras, Yarises, etc as being slow cars.

Its the drivers who are slow. There is nothing wrong with the cars.

The only thing a big car gives you is comfort which can be a good thing when you are driving high mileage to many customers on a weekly basis and have no choice and have to bring your equipment with you so cannot use public transport because you would be too slow and also piss people off.

I think it’s very relevant given that it’s not a direct replacement for the Avensis, people would be curious as to how it compares both to the Avensis and other cars in that class like the Passat/Mondeo,
    The Camry will awkwardly straddle a few segments, like Accord did. Not posh/shporty/whatever people see in them- like an A4 but not common like a Mondeo, priced at a premium, but not a premium product. Not a Lexus, but also not a Corolla.
    pablo128 wrote: »

Yeah, same basic drivetrain as a Rav4 Hybrid, Lexus NX, Lexus IS300h, front wheel drive though.

M

pablo128 wrote: »

I'd say so, as far as I know all hybrids are automatic only.

I'd say so, as far as I know all hybrids are automatic only.
    First Civic IMA and Honda Insight were manual, but yeah the Toyota way of dong hybrids is to have an eCVT transmission (which is a wonderfully simple piece of engineering) KIA/Hyundai use a DSG style twin clutch on their hybrids.

All new non SUV options are welcome imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Do you think the typical customer who buys the Avensis will be able for hybrid and automatic?

Seems a bit of a risk to me ditching diesel and manual, although it is a dwindling segment anyway (but one that is still heavily dominated by diesel and manual, although I note more cars in this segment are autos these days).

I suppose they'll probably stuff them to the gills with equipment and have all sort of trade in boosters, Toyota are really trying to flog the hybrid thing big time these days, I know they're selling a load of then, but just look at all the incentives on offer, sounds to me like most Toyota customers would still buy petrol and diesel were it not for all the freebies on offer if you buy hybrid.

M

Do you think the typical customer who buys the Avensis will be able for hybrid and automatic?

With cheapppppppp tax yes.

Well taxi drivers seem to have managed away fine.
    I'm sure bacon &cabbage munchers will too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Seems a bit of a risk to me ditching diesel and manual, although it is a dwindling segment anyway (but one that is still heavily dominated by diesel and manual, although I note more cars in this segment are autos these days).

I suppose they'll probably stuff them to the gills with equipment and have all sort of trade in boosters, Toyota are really trying to flog the hybrid thing big time these days, I know they're selling a load of then, but just look at all the incentives on offer, sounds to me like most Toyota customers would still buy petrol and diesel were it not for all the freebies on offer if you buy hybrid.

Good point. I've just been googling them there, and for such a popular car worldwide, there doesn't seem to be a hatchback or estate version. Definitely a no from me then. I like to be able to fold the seats and carry a lot of stuff on occasions. I'd never fit my child's bike in the boot of that let alone a washing machine or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Think I saw figures where Toyota market share had fallen a lot so far this year. Still a fair sized market here for small SUV and family sized cars in diesel, the likes of the Peugeot 3008 is a quality car with still a comprehensive engine choice not just petrol hybrids,same with VW and Skodas ranges. For many of us diesel still makes sense and my feeling is Toyota will suffer here regardless of the relentless PR offensive they are on surrounding Hybrid petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Camry is mainly designed with America in mind where it sells in large numbers, the Yanks don't buy hatchbacks and tend to buy big SUVs and pickups instead of estates.

They're almost 4.9 metres long, so a fair bit bigger than the Avensis (which is about 4.7).

Look about similar to the Mazda 6 in size.

I’m not aware of Hyundai Kia in any rush to ditch diesel either who have already been eating into the traditional mass going market that Toyota once owned. Course many of them don’t need diesels in the first place but for the rest of us it’s nice to have options. Not aware of any fleet buyers engaging with petrol yet in any meaningful way, in our company it’s still Skoda, VW, Ford, Opel and Peugeot mainly and all with diesel options

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Hyundai look like becoming the new Toyota in Ireland agree with other poster not everyone wants a hybrid

M

road_high wrote: »
    I’m not aware of Hyundai Kia in any rush to ditch diesel either who have already been eating into the traditional mass going market that Toyota once owned. Course many of them don’t need diesels in the first place but for the rest of us it’s nice to have options. Not aware of any fleet buyers engaging with petrol yet in any meaningful way, in our company it’s still Skoda, VW, Ford, Opel and Peugeot mainly and all with diesel options

In Europe diesel is popular due to taxation and a backward perception that passenger cars should be allowed use it in urban areas, in the USA Hyundai/Kia sell zero diesel cars.

• Advertisement

In Europe diesel is popular due to taxation and a backward perception that passenger cars should be allowed use it in urban areas, in the USA Hyundai/Kia sell zero diesel cars.

And also the fact that fuel here is considerably more expensive than the USA- we’d all love nice big V6 and V8 petrol here too but unfortunately there’s no way it’s viable for the masses. Fuel economy was the big reason diesel took off in the 80s in Europe after the oil shocks of the 70s.

Lets be honest here no hybrid or petrol car is cheaper to run than an equivalent diesel especially the cost per litre fella I used to work with had a honda civic and he traded it for the new insight at the time around 2011 got a rebate for buying car but said on daily basis was saving nothing nothing on the regular petrol civic

M

Philb76 wrote: »
    Lets be honest here no hybrid or petrol car is cheaper to run than an equivalent diesel especially the cost per litre fella I used to work with had a honda civic and he traded it for the new insight at the time around 2011 got a rebate for buying car but said on daily basis was saving nothing nothing on the regular petrol civic

In a city a hybrid would be cheaper to run.

In a city a hybrid would be cheaper to run.

This was in Dublin wer nearly all of his driving happened the tax was a few quid more on the civic but he said I'm still putting same amount of petrol in it and he wasn't a spoofer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hyundai look like becoming the new Toyota in Ireland agree with other poster not everyone wants a hybrid

I certainly would miss the free feet massage while driving a non-diesel.

Once you look at the total ownership costs, depreciation and repeating costs, they are cheaper.

This was in Dublin wer nearly all of his driving happened the tax was a few quid more on the civic but he said I'm still putting same amount of petrol in it and he wasn't a spoofer

€20 each time must be...

grogi wrote: »

€20 each time must be...

He wasn't doing many miles i know that so was suprised

I knocked 50mpg out if a chr over 300 miles +, at least half was motorway driving .... the rest was ideal hybrid motoring perhaps admittedly but still quite impressive.

A fabia is the only diesel I've driven that bettered 50mpg... a 1.5 focus & a vrs Octavia equalled it.

Maintenance on hybrids should be lower than on a diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Augeo wrote: »
    I knocked 50mpg out if a chr over 300 miles +, at least half was motorway driving .... the rest was ideal hybrid motoring perhaps admittedly but still quite impressive.

A fabia is the only diesel I've driven that bettered 50mpg... a 1.5 focus & a vrs Octavia equalled it.

Maintenance on hybrids should be lower than on a diesel.
    In normal driving I've never had a car that didn't require careful driving to beat 50mpg. I could get good mpg but it required too much effort to be feasible.

Some good results:
    318ci =48.8mpg
    Avensis 1.6 = 47.2mpg
    Passat 1.9tdi = 61mpg
    Avensis D4D = 56mpg

All required driving effort which I wasn't bothered sustaining over more than 3 tanks

Advertisement