Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Ascot 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Mgoraf wrote: »
    He's just not quick enough for 10f on fast ground. He needs 12 at a minimum

Irish ledger next? ��

Jesus theyll hardly run him over 14f against OOSG and 4 pacemakers? Id be shocked.

KG, International, Irish Champion Stakes and Arc is my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Settle for Bay EW 7 places Skybet. Fancied i'm told...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

kiers47 wrote: »
    Jesus theyll hardly run him over 14f against OOSG and 4 pacemakers? Id be shocked.

KG, International, Irish Champion Stakes and Arc is my guess.

Nah I was joking at him being slow they'd never run him in that ha.

They'll avoid 10f unless it is soft tho imo.

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Nah I was joking at him being slow they'd never run him in that ha.

They'll avoid 10f unless it is soft tho imo.

Haha i was going to suggest youd lost your mind but i said id keep the response friendlier. haha

Ya you could be right. Will depend how the KG goes i guess as to where they go after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

That’s the last of my gambling days anyway. Lumped on cracksman at 5/4 few weeks ago, how has he not beaten that field

• Advertisement

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    That’s the last of my gambling days anyway. Lumped on cracksman at 5/4 few weeks ago, how has he not beaten that field

Unlucky Andrew. Unfortunately these are the swings and roundabouts of the game. These things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

BumperD wrote: »
    Zhui Feng in royal hunt cup 20/1 looks big based on last years win and decent comeback run I’ll stick the free ew bet b365 gave me on that ew

GL

done the same with my free tenner with 365, went 5ew at 22s
    seems pretty big alright...still waiting for my first winner though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Eirene in the 5.35 - should certainly get a place at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Pablo here and if he wins im off to buy some pablo

I love this race. But im a sick bast*rd. haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

maximo31 wrote: »
    Settle for Bay EW 7 places Skybet. Fancied i'm told...

Sweet!! Did it very easily.

Billy Lee you sexy sexy man. Love that horse.

Finally 1 on the board

Bets
    Kurious 14/1 - 1pt e/w 1/5 1-4 (PP)
    Nelson 9/2 - 2pts win (most books)
    Settle for Bay - 14/1 1pt e/w 1/5 1-6 (PP)
    Raising Sand - 14/1 1pt e/w 1/5 1-6 (PP)

Best of luck.

Ok thats a bit better.
    Profit of 10.80 points for today. -7 from yesterday.

I was sure Raising Sands had gotten up for the 6th but it seems he was just touched off. Anyway not so bad.

+3.80 points for the week. Will be back for more fun tomorrow.

I will add. What a trainer David Marnane is. (I am biased as i live with a couple of miles of him.) But the man has done incredibly well with any good horse he has gotten over the years and this lad no different. Hopefully he can take the step up to group class.

Kevin Blake looks mortified to be alongside emmet Kennedy on the Social stable thing on itv

God damnit kiers keep the faith ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

I was all over fairyland on Friday but see Moore has picked the other one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Hindsight is a great thing. The POW has been a graveyard for hot favourites, with even the mighty Treve beaten there.

2018 Cracksman 2/5f 2nd
    2017 Jack Hobbs 2/1f finished last
    2016 A Shin Hikari 8/13f finished last

2015 Free Eagle 5/2f 1st
    2014 Treve 8/13f 3rd
    2013 Camelot 5/2f 4th

2012 So You Think 1st 4/5f
    2011 So You Think 4/11f 2nd
    2010 Byword 1st 5/2f
    2009 Tartan Bearer 6/4f 2nd

Of course with all the Cracksman hype we forgot how Michael Stoute improves his horses at 4 and how Cracksman is best on soft ground and put in plenty of not so convincing runs on better ground around this time last year.

It's a great meeting but it's too hard to pick the winners there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭del roy

PRICEWISE FOR THURSDAY

Il Primo Sole
    5.00 Ascot
    1pt win

Il Primo Sole
    5:00 Ascot

James Cook
    5.00 Ascot
    1pt win

James Cook
    5:00 Ascot

Communique
    5.35 Ascot
    1pt win

Communique
    5:35 Ascot

There are umpteen great races every Royal Ascot but I can't remember many with the potential to be as good as the Gold Cup (4.20).

The three best stayers in Europe take on each other with former champion Order Of St George up against new kid on the block Stradivarius and French superstar Vazirabad.

Order Of St George should really have won last year and, if anything, he appears to have enjoyed a better preparation this time. He is clearly the one to beat but Stradivarius is firmly on the up and John Gosden and Frankie Dettori can hardly be in better form.

It's not a three-horse race, though, because Torcedor looked a much-improved horse when winning the Sagaro. Don't forget he split Order Of St George and Stradivarius on Champions Day last year, while Desert Skyline is a thorough stayer who comes into the equation too.

The Britannia (5.00) always looks impossible but punters have found the winner more often than not over the years and there are plenty who can be easily ruled out.

All the fancied horses seem to be drawn high but it certainly wouldn't shock me if the far side came out on top, so there is no point making any hard and fast rules about the draw these days.

Crack On Crack On won a similar type of race to this at Haydock last time and showed a really good turn of foot off a strong pace, while there has been a strong and persistent rumour about George Of Hearts for some time now.

As a result they head the market and it certainly wouldn't be a shock if either won but despite his big weight I think the one to back might be John Gosden's Il Primo Sole.

He's always been highly regarded, so much so that he ran in the French Guineas last time. He wasn't beaten far at all that day but nothing really went his way and I think a strongly-run mile on a straight track is going to be perfect for him.

Ostilio and Curiosity and the other Gosden runner Stylehunter were on the list too but at a massive price I can't let Aidan O'Brien's James Cook go unbacked.

James Cook ran in the Epsom Derby trial at the start of the season and quickened up better than the Derby second Dee Ex Bee before tiring close home. Last time out, when only 9-1 for the Dante, he looked like one of those horses who didn't really handle York.

I think a mile is his trip, he is out of the brilliant Red Evie after all, and at a huge price he could easily upset the applecart.

There are absolutely loads you could fancy in the King George V Stakes (5.35) but it might be best to keep it simple and stick with Mark Johnston's Communique, who was really strong at the finish in a good race at Newbury last time.

The front three got away that day and dominated the race from the off but Communique was clearing away at the finish and will surely improve again stepped up to 1m4f.

Many will worry about his draw in stall 18 but there hasn't been a winner of this race drawn in single figures since 2010 and I think being drawn there is an advantage to Communique.

ALREADY ADVISED
    (May 15)

Torcedor
    4.20 Ascot
    1pt each-way

• Registered Users Posts: 35,755 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I really like
    Fondleinthejungle EW in the 2.30
    16-1 currently .

Won gamely on good to firm on it's one and only race. Made pretty much all, and beat
    a well fancied favourite Well Done Fox, Fox went on to win easily next time out at 2/13.
    Jungle hopefully can grab a place at least. I backed it, think price could be half that tomorrow.

tryfix wrote: »
    Hindsight is a great thing. The POW has been a graveyard for hot favourites, with even the mighty Treve beaten there.

2018 Cracksman 2/5f 2nd
    2017 Jack Hobbs 2/1f finished last
    2016 A Shin Hikari 8/13f finished last

2015 Free Eagle 5/2f 1st
    2014 Treve 8/13f 3rd
    2013 Camelot 5/2f 4th

2012 So You Think 1st 4/5f
    2011 So You Think 4/11f 2nd
    2010 Byword 1st 5/2f
    2009 Tartan Bearer 6/4f 2nd

Of course with all the Cracksman hype we forgot how Michael Stoute improves his horses at 4 and how Cracksman is best on soft ground and put in plenty of not so convincing runs on better ground around this time last year.

It's a great meeting but it's too hard to pick the winners there.

Yep definitely not a meeting to be steaming into shorties. There are so many good horses and the races are almost always run at a good clip which can often blow the form book wide open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,755 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Ostilio 16-1 in the 5.00 race

Ran second to Without Parole 2 races back, Parole won the St Jamesʼs Palace Stakes on day one, ridden out. Ostilio won last time out easily, on good to firm over a mile. With 6 places I did it EW. Shirley it can place.

Lads who do we fancy for the Commonwealth Cup on Friday? Any thoughts on sioux nation

Ok balance for the week is standing at +3.80.

Today is another tricky day.

Norfolk
    Before the week started i felt that if one of Ward's juveniles was to win a race then this would be the most likely as it looked to be the weakest field of the week. That being said ive no idea of the form and havent seen the filly run so i couldnt possibly advise a bet or having a bet on her myself. She has drifted to what is probably a biggish price on the back of some poor runs for his other runners though so i wouldnt put anyone off if they were inclined. I havent really looked at this field in much more detail but of the others Id fancy Koncheck to overturn the form with Vintage Brut. I think they are the likely pair to concentrate on. I dont like Land Force i seen him run in the Curragh when he broke his maiden and he didnt look the best built 2 y/o. The rest were much of a much on paper i thought. That being said there are to many unknowns and ill be passing.

Hampton Court
    Im going to keep this simple here. I liked Hunting Horn's run lto in the French derby he stuck his head down and battled in what was a fairly messy race. Before that he wasnt beaten that far in a Sandown classic trial and the Chester Vase after that. It really doesnt look the strongest of races and he is seeing good to firm ground for the first time. I think he will be suited by the GF ground and i think he can take what is a pretty ordinary renewal of this. Wadilsafa is an interesting runner and could be anything however it is a big step up for him and ill gladly leave him beat me at the price. The fav Key Victory also ran in the french derby behind Hunting Horn and while he didnt get the best of runs i see no reason why he is 2 points shorter than Hunting Horn. The rest all need to step up i think to get to Hunting Horn's form level so ill pass on them also. 13/2 or so looks a bet.

Ribblesdale
    A few of these horses are coming from the Oaks and the fancied ones who were well placed in the oaks have a history of being disappointing in this due to the general proximity of the races. Wild Illusion is clearly a talented filly and has a bucket in hand here but id take her on after a tough race in Epson. Likewise Magic Wand was disappointing in the Oaks so im going to pass on her also. Ive seen a number of shrewd judges put up the case for Perfect Clarity and i completely get that angle however she didnt go a yard in the Oaks and i couldnt back her at the current price on the back of that. Sun Maiden won a novice event lto and i couldnt back a twice raced novice winner in this especially at the price she is. The rest of them have about a stone to find to be winning this. However in saying that im going to take a swing at one here. Dont laugh but im going to back Sarrocchi. She ran in the 1000 guinneas at Newmarket and on the bare face of it finished a disappointing 12th of 15. However i dont think that tells the full story of that race for her. She gave Lordan an absolute nightmare of a spin and became really unbalanced on the downhill section of the course. She was beat from then and Lordan left her pretty much coast home where she looked to have a good bit left to give. Lto in the curragh she ran over 10f and ran a very nice race. She was beaten only 5 lengths in a group 3 where she was staying on all the time. She hung badly to the rail and i think she could have been a length or 2 closer with a bit more know how under her belt. Aidan is notorious for bringing these fillies on softly softly. I think she could take a step forward in what is a poorish race apart from 1 or 2. 33/1 is too big

Gold Cup
    This is a perfect race to sit back and enjoy. I wont bore anyone with a big write up as i dont plan on a bet however im a big fan of each of the front 3 horses in the market. They all have their merits but i think there are a bit to many uncertainties to get involved. I think OOSG is probably the likely winner given the other 2 are stepping into the unknown of 2 and a half miles around Ascot. Torcedor maybe could knick a place if any of them disappoint.

Britannia
    Ill keep this simple also. I could list about 12 horses here and wouldnt find the winner. Improving 3 year olds in a handicap is not exactly my forte. However in saying that i just defaulted to Jamie Spencer over the straight mile. I know people bang on about him over this C&D however it is completely justified he is exactly the man you want. The price isnt exactly amazing however but ill have a small bet on George of Hearts.

King George V
    Another tricky handicap and another Aidan O'Brien selection. Lucius Tiberius was given an extremely easy time of it in the closing stages of a listed race lto by Seamie Heffernan in which the lads had the winner who took it up from LT about a furlong and a half out at Leopardstown. I usually like one drawn on the high side in this race. As counter intuitive as that is it seems to work out. I think 13 is fine. I would prefer about 16 or higher but 13 is grand. Im not going to write to much on the others as you could make cases for a lot of them. I think 93 is an extermely workable mark for this horse and 16/1 i cant pass.

Bets
    Hunting Horn 13/2 - 1pt win (PP)
    Sarrocchi 33/1 - 1pts e/w (most books)
    George of Hearts 8/1 - 0.5pts e/w 1/5 1-6 (PP)
    Lucius Tiberius 16/1 - 1pt e/w 1/5 1-5 (PP)

Best of luck. Hoping for a good day from Aidan :pac:

ANDREWMUFC wrote: »
    Lads who do we fancy for the Commonwealth Cup on Friday? Any thoughts on sioux nation

He would have to have a great chance in fairness. He is an absolute unit of a horse. He did it nicely the last day. However it is a tough race and i wouldnt be going to mad. He is a horse that needs things to fall right for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

@kiers good write ups. I've not backed a horse all week but enjoying your thoughts.

Slattsy wrote: »
    @kiers good write ups. I've not backed a horse all week but enjoying your thoughts.

Cheers Slattsy. Ya was hoping to give people a few pointers especially in the case of perceived value on unexposed horses and not getting silly on 2yo races and their form.
    I could probably fill a page on my thoughts on some of the races but i wouldnt want to bore anyone either. haha

Hopefully can hit a couple today at prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I was on the wrong Ward horse..

Norfolk
    Before the week started i felt that if one of Ward's juveniles was to win a race then this would be the most likely as it looked to be the weakest field of the week. That being said ive no idea of the form and havent seen the filly run so i couldnt possibly advise a bet or having a bet on her myself. She has drifted to what is probably a biggish price on the back of some poor runs for his other runners though so i wouldnt put anyone off if they were inclined. I havent really looked at this field in much more detail but of the others Id fancy Koncheck to overturn the form with Vintage Brut. I think they are the likely pair to concentrate on. I dont like Land Force i seen him run in the Curragh when he broke his maiden and he didnt look the best built 2 y/o. The rest were much of a much on paper i thought. That being said there are to many unknowns and ill be passing.

Well then... Why dont i just go with the heart i wonder. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Anyone fancy key victory??

waiting on it for €500 :(

• Advertisement

akelly02 wrote: »
    Anyone fancy key victory??

waiting on it for €500 :(

Definitely has a good chance.
    Im not entirely sure why he is a shorter price than O Briens horse though considering he beat him in France.

Good luck

Advertisement