Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying bitcoins

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Not sure if these charts are much interest to anyone but today was a great day to increase holdings in BTC, ETH and even NEO. Alerts were pinging all day.

Here's one of my 1st, my perceived base support was broken at about 0.00171ETH, and took a dive to 0.0016 ETH where I had some buys hit.

We got a bounce within 4 hours as usual past the last base support to .00176 ETH. So up to an easy 10% for very little time in the market here.

https://www.coinigy.com/s/i/5b05cd5e8fdf5/

So that's 10% Monday, 25 - 30% Tuesday and another 10% today. It's not a bad racket....
    .00016 up is it? You'd need to be buying alot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Kuva wrote: »

Yep, It's 10% of whatever you can buy. Nothing to be sniffed at for a couple hours in the market

People may snigger at a 10% returns, but for me that is massive as there is so little risk (for me at least), time in the market is so small you could if do well bank 5-10% daily.

And these opportunities are daily and massive volumes can be found, for example right now ETH/BTC Binance broke a base of mine earlier and has bounced 5% with super volume. 2 more bases not broke yet but i'll be watching closely.

https://www.coinigy.com/s/i/5b05deedd84be/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Kuva wrote: »

Yep, It's 10% of whatever you can buy. Nothing to be sniffed at for a couple hours in the market

People may snigger at a 10% returns, but for me that is massive as there is so little risk (for me at least), time in the market is so small you could if do well bank 5-10% daily.

And these opportunities are daily and massive volumes can be found, for example right now ETH/BTC Binance broke a base of mine earlier and has bounced 5% with super volume. 2 more bases not broke yet but i'll be watching closely.

good if you know TA.... i wouldnt know where to start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I'm the same with the litecoins selling at €140 euro and buying back sub €100 I have a nice few now after all the dips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

This talk from Andreas Antonopoulos is worth a listen. Even you skeptics might learn something. :P

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

Anyone interested in throwing some analysis my way for 5-10% gains feel free!

Happy to reward these tips if they pay out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Anyone interested in throwing some analysis my way for 5-10% gains feel free!

Happy to reward these tips if they pay out!

What sort of analysis are you looking for? Happy to oblige, but I think at this stage we are probably waiting for a bitcoin ETF to get things properly going again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,203 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

if buffett is so class at investing how come he didnt invest in bitcoin 5 years ago and making a fortune?

Because BTC is inherently risky, it also contradicts any investment logic

Buffet is such a well renowned and respected investor because he has consistently produced results despite fads, bubbles, market turmoil, swings, etc. He would delve into the most minute details of hundreds of businesses and companies and their stock to determine the real stock value, and would err on the side of calculated and well-researched caution

Crypto is nothing like that. You can't "value" most crypto (like you can for example a share). It's value is derived far more from psychology, FOMO, dumb money, smart money, scams, cartels, etc, etc than anything approaching a calculable value

For every friend I know invested in crypto who actually (sort of) understand crypto, there are 5 invested who don't have a clue. And forget about basic economic and financial fundamentals/knowledge - most crypto investors couldn't value a small company let alone a crypto

Putting all the tech aside, in my opinion it really doesn't matter if most of this stuff is rat poison, it's that it's artificially scarce shiny rat poison wrapped up in bells and whistles, that people want to gamble and speculate on. That demand is what I bet on in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 geoffreycelen

How I buy the Bitcoins?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Buy a small amount to verify your bank details then you can buy and sell up to the weekly limits: https://www.belgacoin.com/index.jsp

Alternatively you can create an account with an exchange like Coinbase which would enable you to trade larger amounts more quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭deletthis

First you get the bitcoins, then you get the power, then you get the women

deletthis wrote: »
    First you get the bitcoins, then you get the power, then you get the women

Let's not forget the Lambos. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

el diablo wrote: »
    Let's not forget the Lambos. ;)

The women would do me....:D:D

cnocbuideletthis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

So some of you may remember I was selling and buying like mad in January.

Since then I let it go and just waited. Prices are still just below what they were around January/Feb time.

Any sign of a bull run taking off or is crypto going to just fizzle around this price point?

• Advertisement

Pussyhands wrote: »
    So some of you may remember I was selling and buying like mad in January.

Since then I let it go and just waited. Prices are still just below what they were around January/Feb time.

Any sign of a bull run taking off or is crypto going to just fizzle around this price point?

Take this and all advice with a pinch of salt as always

Dec/Jan was the largest peak ever for crypto. It may reach those prices again this year, it may take years to reach those prices, it may never reach those prices - no one knows. All we know so far is that it's done all this before - and that's all we really have to go on (because unfortunately no one can predict the future)

I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen friends buy during a bull, sell at a loss after, then watch those coins rocket up at a later date. If people have followed advice and put in only what they can afford to lose - then it is no harm to wait 1 or 2 years and then reevaluate (again it's entirely up to the person, but this is just based on the past movements in this market)

As for buying and selling, the only people who make consistent margins seem to be those who get v lucky or who know the market/coins pretty well. Wouldn't recommend it for novices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Take this and all advice with a pinch of salt as always

Dec/Jan was the largest peak ever for crypto. It may reach those prices again this year, it may take years to reach those prices, it may never reach those prices - no one knows. All we know so far is that it's done all this before - and that's all we really have to go on (because unfortunately no one can predict the future)

I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen friends buy during a bull, sell at a loss after, then watch those coins rocket up at a later date. If people have followed advice and put in only what they can afford to lose - then it is no harm to wait 1 or 2 years and then reevaluate (again it's entirely up to the person, but this is just based on the past movements in this market)

As for buying and selling, the only people who make consistent margins seem to be those who get v lucky or who know the market/coins pretty well. Wouldn't recommend it for novices.

Excellent post..

Bottom line, no-one has a rashers what'll happen next..

That's what makes it so interesting :D

Day trading takes a while to master and if it's taught me nothing else it's taught me patience. I tend to just set a high buy limit, hit it, then set a low sell limit, wait to hit it.. Rinse and repeat over and over. I'm probably about even after a year or so because of some panic decisions at the start but it's just a bit of fun at the end of the day..

I only ever trade in ETH as it's all I know and you do get a "feel" for a coin when you watch over a decent period of time.

And of course as with anything, a little luck helps sometimes too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Rennaws wrote: »
    Excellent post..

Bottom line, no-one has a rashers what'll happen next..

That's what makes it so interesting :D

Day trading takes a while to master and if it's taught me nothing else it's taught me patience. I tend to just set a high buy limit, hit it, then set a low sell limit, wait to hit it.. Rinse and repeat over and over. I'm probably about even after a year or so because of some panic decisions at the start but it's just a bit of fun at the end of the day..

I only ever trade in ETH as it's all I know and you do get a "feel" for a coin when you watch over a decent period of time.

And of course as with anything, a little luck helps sometimes too :pac:
    Errrrr.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Thargor wrote: »
    Errrrr.....

#thisiscrypto

Buy high, sell low guys - you'll never make it otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Thargor wrote: »
    Errrrr.....

Obvious error..

I'm sure you know what I meant..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Trading has stopped on coinbase? I didn't notice that

Edit, looks like jf's post I was replying to has disappeared

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Trading has stopped on coinbase? I didn't notice that

Edit, looks like jf's post I was replying to has disappeared

Sorry. I intend to keep my posts to the sceptics thread. Hence the deletion.

Yes, volume today of 2400 (including those fake buy and sell orders the bot is carrying out). That’s the lowest I’ve seen on Coinbase. 10 times lower than Dec/Jan. Gemini is as good as gone as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

BTC/USD or BTC/EUR? Coinbase, Coinbase Pro, or GDAX?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rhonda 7878

Where can I buy bitcoin easily without many registration with a credit or debit card ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Where can I buy bitcoin easily without many registration with a credit or debit card ?

You can buy and sell limited values per week from: https://www.belgacoin.com/index.jsp

You don't need to register, but do need a small initial transaction to verify the bank account. Transactions are SEPA transfer, not card - though a debit card implies a bank account behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I see Coinbase, Bitstamp, Kraken and Itbit have all information requested from them as part of a review and investigation of market manipulation.
    http://bitcoinist.com/4-exchanges-must-turn-over-comprehensive-information-to-us-government-investigators/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

banie01 wrote: »
    I see Coinbase, Bitstamp, Kraken and Itbit have all information requested from them as part of a review and investigation of market manipulation.
    http://bitcoinist.com/4-exchanges-must-turn-over-comprehensive-information-to-us-government-investigators/
    Not consumer led...brought about by CME. CME demanded they hand over data to a third party company they used who also doubles as a competitor. There's a conflict of interest there...

And probably pointless in any event. If certain whales are manipulating futures, then they will be savvy enough to ensure that their transfers on exchanges can't be traced back to them.

If they want to act in the common interest, then they should be focusing on tether!

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak isn’t convinced that bitcoin will supplant national currencies to become a de facto global currency, but he says that he hopes this will one day be the case.

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak isn’t convinced that bitcoin will supplant national currencies to become a de facto global currency, but he says that he hopes this will one day be the case.

Bitcoin is a volatile, unstable speculative asset with technical issues that can be forked - it's about as anti-currency as you can get

Most cryptos are the equivalent of trying to use digitalized penny stocks as legal tender. A stable coin like DAI or similar is something closer to a functional currency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Are visa debit card transactions to coin base blocked ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

Start of a major rally in Bitcoin now.
    We are now witnessing a short squeeze (aka bitcoin doomsayers getting there ass handed to them)

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    We are now witnessing a short squeeze (aka bitcoin doomsayers getting there ass handed to them)

Nobody knows for sure. It could be yet another fake out/bull trap. Proceed with caution. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

The guys at the top of the pyramid are back from their 6 month holiday.

Shauny2010 wrote: »

It's hard to figure out of course. There's no doubt that there's a certain type of interest building and there will eventually be a transfer of funds back from ordinary joes to the 5%.

I'm wondering though if they have shaken that tree enough? It's difficult but I would still be surprised if it doesn't do sub 5k one time first before it bounces back with a bit of purpose.

SEC decision on the 10th - mostly likely they will knock back the ETF application again (a probability but not a certainty)..and maybe then we see BTC drop back down again thereafter??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

It's hard to figure out of course. There's no doubt that there's a certain type of interest building and there will be eventually be a transfer of funds back from ordinary joes to the 5%.

I'm wondering though if they have shaken that tree enough? It's difficult but I would still be surprised if it doesn't do sub 5k one time first before it bounces back with a bit of purpose.

SEC decision on the 10th - mostly likely they will knock back the ETF application again (a probability but not a certainty)..and maybe then we see BTC drop back down again thereafter??

A lot of people are saying the ETF will get approved, because it’s backed by CBOE, is fully insured and there is a lot more regulation around crypto currencies now. Time will tell.

Elessar wrote: »
    A lot of people are saying the ETF will get approved, because it’s backed by CBOE, is fully insured and there is a lot more regulation around crypto currencies now. Time will tell.

They will have to approve one at some stage but hard to know if this is the one and the occasion. The insurance element is a major plus no doubt but they can still come back and say crypto isn't ready, we have concerns re. market manipulation, etc.

One other thing that I don't fully understand...

GBTC has been around for quite a while now. It doesn't come under the gambit of the SEC but surely if there is this demand from institutions/their clients to buy into btc, the means to buy in are already in place? I know it's not Nasdaq/NYE , rather over the counter but does that really matter that much?

Nice for the people who bought recently but I bought at 20k :(:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

If you believe WhateverCoin will be used in the future, average down.

• Advertisement

Really, you hadn't ever mentioned!
    That's a bit of a balls...

The soundest investment advice ever offered was only invest what you can afford to lose, especially in a highly speculative psuedo asset.
    Too late now to after time, but Grindle's advice is spot on. Even with yesterday's spike if you believe in BTC as a coin/store of value/currency now is the time to use the price to reduce your average cost.

Quick example, one coin bought in late 2018, 20k
    One coin bought now, 7k...
    You now own 2 coins at AVG cost of 13.5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

those frowns will be upside down frowns in 2020, maybe sooner

banie01 wrote: »
    Really, you hadn't ever mentioned!
    That's a bit of a balls...

The soundest investment advice ever offered was only invest what you can afford to lose, especially in a highly speculative psuedo asset.
    Too late now to after time, but Grindle's advice is spot on. Even with yesterday's spike if you believe in BTC as a coin/store of value/currency now is the time to use the price to reduce your average cost.

Quick example, one coin bought in late 2018, 20k
    One coin bought now, 7k...
    You now own 2 coins at AVG cost of 13.5k.

I took the advice of the people in February and turned off and forgot about it.

I can afford to lose it. Doesn't mean I like losing it.

I took the advice of the people in February and turned off and forgot about it.

I can afford to lose it. Doesn't mean I like losing it.

Nobody likes losing ;)
    Unfortunately in currency speculation there is always a losing side on a trade.
    It takes a lot of luck and no little skill to be able to come out ahead.
    Especially in a sideways market or a bear.

The options are ride out and hope it rises enough to get you out even or ahead.
    Sell at a loss, which I'd never advise unless there was an urgent need for cash
    Or take action to mitigate loss and ensure that any upside is achieved quicker than waiting for a new ATH.
    But that involves more money and no-one wants to throw good money after bad.

This is an important week. If the bears don't cull these rises, then it could mark a move away from the low confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    This is an important week. If the bears don't cull these rises, then it could mark a move away from the low confidence.

Why is this week more important than any others?

• Advertisement

nuac wrote: »

I'd think it's more that punters are hoping for a period of sustained growth and consolidation above 7k to convince themselves the bear has been slain.
    Maybe?

nuac wrote: »

The market has been sitting in "shadow" of that giant bull that took place in Dec/Jan.

If the next week is positive, it will mark what would appear to be a departure from that downward trend and could mean the market going up and down based on good/bad news instead of just being ruled by low confidence

If it's negative, then it will take longer to recover

Of course, disclaimer, the market can go any which way. But traders operate to patterns/history and when they feel confident to go up and stay up (instead of just making money going down) then the investors (who drive every bull) will feel more confident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Thanks, but in Bitcoin have we anything approaching a free market?

Isn't the market controlled and manipulated by those "whales"?

/

• Registered Users Posts: 26 petr1

What's the cheapest way to buy now?

Didn't know GDAX was shut...turned in to coinbase pro or something which seems to be down at the minute aswell.

So whats cheapest/easiest now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

petr1 wrote: »
    What's the cheapest way to buy now?

Didn't know GDAX was shut...turned in to coinbase pro or something which seems to be down at the minute aswell.

So whats cheapest/easiest now?

It's just a re-brand, and works the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement