Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying bitcoins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Kuva wrote: »
    Now that the blockchain is editable (if they want) is it all not now a waste of time?

How do you mean, editable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The good folk at Tether have just printed another quarter of a billion of their coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Source ?

Source ?

https://omniexplorer.info/address/3MbYQMMmSkC3AgWkj9FMo5LsPTW1zBTwXL

Comes a day after Bitfinex announced they required additional identification documentation from their larger customers. I suspect the gents who run Tether and Bitfinex are up to some ‘funny business’.

• Advertisement

Kuva wrote: »

Thanks for the link. Getting back to your point, is it not a case that specific centralised blockchains can be set up so as they are editable. How does this make blockchain generally pointless? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Are the bitcoin fees still high ? Last time i used it the fees were 20euro+ even for 10euro orders

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Are the bitcoin fees still high ? Last time i used it the fees were 20euro+ even for 10euro orders

No. Extremely cheap now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

No. Extremely cheap now.

Cheers

I'm confused lads. Ye are all well aware that I'm a cynic when it comes to cryptocurrencies. And I'd like to think I've become someone who has developed a basic understanding about the whole scene. Genuinely find it interesting.

The volumes over the past few days have been chronic (talking about Bitcoin, as it's the only one that really fascinates me). GDax reporting volumes of 3900, with much of that being the usual bot 'painting the tape' sort of activity. Tether created another 250 million worth of USDT during the week which quickly found its way to Binance, Okex, Bitfinex etc. So that's free money to go wild on the spot market.

Where's the fresh money coming from though? Is that free Tether money just like getting credit from the house so exchanges can play 'war games' amongst one another? Where's the liquidity coming into the market? The punters firing money into bitcoin from their credit card or bank transfer have very few avenues to do so. Who is paying for the electricity bill, and how are they turning bitcoin into cash?

I can't work it out, but I'm not very good at this sort of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

You sell Bitcoin and cash out at coinbase.

Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Punters may have few entry points but those entry points still exist, not sure where the confusion lies there? OTC markets are responsible for larger cash flows in and out than casual exchanges - minimum buy-ins of $200k+ are the standard for OTC and the average buy-in over at Circle OTC is apparently $1m, so there's plenty of real money swimming around which probably confounds you.
    Not sure what you mean about electricity - the miners pay their bills by selling some of their stack?

grindle wrote: »
    Punters may have few entry points but those entry points still exist, not sure where the confusion lies there? OTC markets are responsible for larger cash flows in and out than casual exchanges - minimum buy-ins of $200k+ are the standard for OTC and the average buy-in over at Circle OTC is apparently $1m, so there's plenty of real money swimming around which probably confounds you.
    Not sure what you mean about electricity - the miners pay their bills by selling some of their stack?

Likely to be confused, Grindle. Could never be accused of being a man of intelligence. The brother got them, and the other brother got the looks. Not sure it served either of them well, but that's another story.

I get these ideas in my head though, and have to say them out. So like there's these coins called bitcoins. And they are currently using 0.8% of all the electricity on earth to verify any transaction. Everyone gets a copy of that transaction, which is cool, but they can only do 7 of them per second while melting the glaciers - not cool.

And the miners have to pay for new equipment; electricity, staff, etc. If there's no new money going into crypto, then who is paying that out the other side? Even a thick like me can see what Tether and Binance are doing, but I'm genuinely starting to get confused about where the FIAT is coming from to pay for all this mining.

(talking about Bitcoin, as it's the only one that really fascinates me)

Ok, but it fascinates you because you believe its rubbish. Does that mean that other crypto's are not?.....:confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

And they are currently using 0.8% of all the electricity on earth to verify any transaction.

What's your source on that Johnny? Digiconomist has it at 0.3% which is still an entirely unacceptable waste of energy IMHO. As for the ice caps, worth remembering that electricity amounts to less than 40% of the energy we consume. I suspect the other 99.88% of the energy we consume may be having some effect on those ice caps too. Maybe consult with your smarter brother and come back to us on that one? ;)

smacl wrote: »
    What's your source on that Johnny? Digiconomist has it at 0.3% which is still an entirely unacceptable waste of energy IMHO. As for the ice caps, worth remembering that electricity amounts to less than 40% of the energy we consume. I suspect the other 99.88% of the energy we consume may be having some effect on those ice caps too. Maybe consult with your smarter brother and come back to us on that one? ;)

Sorry, I was full of porter last night, and got my figures mixed up. The figure is 1.8% by the end of next year.

https://grist.org/article/bitcoins-e...se-than-usual/

“A single bitcoin transaction is so energy intensive that it could power the average U.S. household for a month”.

“A fluctuating bitcoin price, along with increases in computer efficiency, has slowed the cryptocurrency’s energy footprint growth rate to “just” 20 percent per month so far in this year. If that keeps up, bitcoin would consume all the world’s electricity by January 2021”.

“By late next year, bitcoin could be consuming more electricity than all the world’s solar panels currently produce — about 1.8 percent of global electricity, according to a simple extrapolation of the study’s predictions. That would effectively erase decades of progress on renewable energy”.

The argument that well other things are causing pollution so what does it matter about Bitcoin is such a morally and intellectually lazy argument that the only rationale response is :rolleyes:

vyw9x4.jpg

I get these ideas in my head though, and have to say them out. So like there's these coins called bitcoins. And they are currently using 0.8% of all the electricity on earth to verify any transaction. Everyone gets a copy of that transaction, which is cool, but they can only do 7 of them per second while melting the glaciers - not cool.

And the miners have to pay for new equipment; electricity, staff, etc. If there's no new money going into crypto, then who is paying that out the other side? Even a thick like me can see what Tether and Binance are doing, but I'm genuinely starting to get confused about where the FIAT is coming from to pay for all this mining.

People are still ploughing money in. You keep assuming the PoV that the market's been abandoned by the average punters, you keep ignoring the billions of OTC sales per day which show nowhere on CMC. You keep ignoring any points made to anything you say and then reiterating your own points again.
    I get your point about electricity cost per tx, it's wasteful and one of many reasons I'm not a huge BTC bull, but you seem to think the wider market should rationalise BTC's value downwards based on this despite the profit motive inherent in buying the most deflationary asset with the biggest brand attached?
    Normal markets aren't that rational, the crypto market is orders of magnitude less rational.

People are still ploughing money in. You keep assuming the PoV that the market's been abandoned by the average punters, you keep ignoring the billions of OTC sales per day which show nowhere on CMC. You keep ignoring any points made to anything you say and then reiterating your own points again.
    I get your point about electricity cost per tx, it's wasteful and one of many reasons I'm not a huge BTC bull, but you seem to think the wider market should rationalise BTC's value downwards based on this despite the profit motive inherent in buying the most deflationary asset with the biggest brand attached?
    Normal markets aren't that rational, the crypto market is orders of magnitude less rational.

Where’s the proof that average money is still being ploughed into the market? The trading volumes would indicate that this simply isn’t the case. When did any of the speculators around here last buy bitcoin for example?

All I can see at the moment is bots pretending to trade, Tether moving between Bitfinex and Binance, and Tether being printed to keep some stimulus in the market. Might all look very busy on the surface, but there’s fûck all happening in reality.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Sorry, I was full of porter last night, and got my figures mixed up. The figure is 1.8% by the end of next year.

https://grist.org/article/bitcoins-e...se-than-usual/

Your link doesn't work, should be this. It points to a peer reviewed study that predicts that bitcoins electricity consumption could be up to 0.5% by end of year, then adds what appears to be an entirely unsupported upward extrapolation to 1.8% by end of next year. While bitcoins energy footprint is clearly unacceptable, your source seems dubious in the conclusions its drawing, and your suggestion that bitcoin mining is "melting the glaciers" entirely specious. A headline including the tagline "you libertarian nerds look even worse than usual" doesn't add much to your source's credibility.

Where’s the proof that average money is still being ploughed into the market? The trading volumes would indicate that this simply isn’t the case. When did any of the speculators around here last buy bitcoin for example?

I've been buying more ETH and others recently, don't really care about BTC for my portfolio. Same for the group of friends in our Telegram group, we've all been pushing more cash into oversold magic beans.
    You're fixated on BTC whatever the case. How come billions in OTC sales mean nothing to you?
    Also, not all bots are working together in unison - they're owned by hundreds of parties interested in scraping an extra 1-2% of whatever coins they're set to trade in. I get the feeling you think they're all owned and run by the exchanges?

• Advertisement

Fine, here’s the peer reviewed journal article about the topic.

https://www.cell.com/joule/fulltext/S2542-4351(18)30177-6

Here’s another source that presents some hard truths: https://powercompare.co.uk/bitcoin/

That 1.8% figure is based on the price of bitcoin staying around 8k. If the price were to go up then energy usage would explode also. It’s becoming a serious problem. For what? So people can speculate on the price of them? Madness. It’s actua outrageous if you think about it for more than 10 seconds.

I've been buying more ETH and others recently, don't really care about BTC for my portfolio. Same for the group of friends in our Telegram group, we've all been pushing more cash into oversold magic beans.
    You're fixated on BTC whatever the case. How come billions in OTC sales mean nothing to you?
    Also, not all bots are working together in unison - they're owned by hundreds of parties interested in scraping an extra 1-2% of whatever coins they're set to trade in. I get the feeling you think they're all owned and run by the exchanges?

I’m fixated on bitcoin because it’s the biggest, the oldest, and the most written about. The rest of them are just scams and shïtcoins. Ethereum’s only usage at the moment appears to be a platform for launching other coins - a never ending stream of hype, badly written white papers, conferences attended by fat men, pump and dumps etc.

No, I’m aware bots are used by various parties. Your own bot isn’t worth a curse though if the Bitfinex and Binance bots are up to their trick. Finally, I hear so much about this otc market. But don’t see any evidence to support it. Large moves between wallets should be happening at least occasionally. Yet everyone shïts their pants when MtGox dude moves 4K coins. Nah. All is not right in the kingdom of Crypto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Nermal

That 1.8% figure is based on the price of bitcoin staying around 8k. If the price were to go up then energy usage would explode also. It’s becoming a serious problem. For what?

To secure the network. If you can think of a better way to transact in a trustless fashion, we're all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,325 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The skeptics thread might be best for some of this perhaps?

On the power consumption issue, are all of these 'studies' taking account of 2nd layer / off-chain transaction growth which should result in lower average btc power consumption?

I’m fixated on bitcoin because it’s the biggest, the oldest, and the most written about. The rest of them are just scams and shïtcoins. Ethereum’s only usage at the moment appears to be a platform for launching other coins - a never ending stream of hype, badly written white papers, conferences attended by fat men, pump and dumps etc.

So there isn't one good project out there? There isn't one project that builds on bitcoin and improves upon it? Your current hard on is for energy consumption and yet there are legitimate projects out there using PoS and close to zero (significant) energy consumption. Go figure...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

The man by his own admission is as thick as two planks of wood. Why keep engaging him in conversation? As already stated by numerous posters, he takes nothing on board he is told and continually returns spouting the same nonsense over and over again. He has his opinion and is not interested in being educated on the positives to come from blockchain and crypto specifically. The conversations should end here!

Whelo79 wrote: »
    The man by his own admission is as thick as two planks of wood. Why keep engaging him in conversation? As already stated by numerous posters, he takes nothing on board he is told and continually returns spouting the same nonsense over and over again. He has his opinion and is not interested in being educated on the positives to come from blockchain and crypto specifically. The conversations should end here!

Name the positives of crypto over conventional payment and transfer systems? Name one practical wide scale implemented so far and why it offers advantages over an existing technology and business in that area. Describe how it offers advantages using a trustless model, and how the extremely high cost per transaction is economically viable.

I’m the one posting links from research and industry experts. Not the one relying on emotion, gut feeling, and getting sarky cause someone dares question their beloved crypto coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Name the positives of crypto over conventional payment and transfer systems? Name one practical wide scale implemented so far and why it offers advantages over an existing technology and business in that area. Describe how it offers advantages using a trustless model, and how the extremely high cost per transaction is economically viable.

I’m the one posting links from research and industry experts. Not the one relying on emotion, gut feeling, and getting sarky cause someone dares question their beloved crypto coins.

Why would I waste my time? Multiple posters have given you numerous examples over and over and over again. You ignore them, go away for a couple of days and then come back with your same nonsense. Maybe you just regularly post when up to your eyeballs in booze and just can't remember what you have been told. As you have mentioned on a couple of occasions that you were under the influence whilst posting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Why would I waste my time? Multiple posters have given you numerous examples over and over and over again. You ignore them, go away for a couple of days and then come back with your same nonsense. Maybe you just regularly post when up to your eyeballs in booze and just can't remember what you have been told. As you have mentioned on a couple of occasions that you were under the influence whilst posting.
    Answer away for relative newbies like me

Advertisement