Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying bitcoins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Tango One

Would be a very nervous miner - if you even got set up. Not even safe for their own, let along gringos...and then to take it to another level (gringo with 1000's of $$$ worth of mining gear), good luck with that!

I wouldn't be heading there myself but interesting to see how much it varies from country to country. I wonder how close there numbers actually are to the real thing.

MW-GE934_bitcoi_20180306125301_NS.jpg?uuid=368098e8-2167-11e8-8a0e-9c8e992d421e

• Registered Users Posts: 19,950 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That really seems to highlight how stupid the Germans are to forego Nuclear power when they are at double the cost of France.

We sure get stiffed for it here. What's up with South Korea - do they hand-knit it or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

The numbers are not accurate.

I can assure these numbers are taken by using standard residential rates. However, a lot of countries have different rates for commercial, industrial and residential.

And again, they have tiered levels.

For example, Serbia. $3,133 seems tempting!
    And yes, it is that cost. per KW, it averages approx €0.05c per KW over a 24 hour period. (Assuming day and night rates etc)
    But what info isn’t provided, is as soon as you use x amount of KW in a month, you enter a higher tier.
    Price increases to .07c per KW.
    And again... and again. There are 6 tier’s.

I myself didn’t expect this.
    I have a farm there. And we use approx 295kw/h.
    We hit the first 2 tier tarrif’s in 8 hours!
    And within 4 days, we were in the second highest tier.
    And 10 days later, the highest tier.

Our bills spiralled out of control. So we moved back to Ireland, as we secured a very good rate, with a non tiered supply.

However, we have since returned to Serbia, and secured an agreement for the second tier with unlimited usage, plus a hefty monthly fee.

So yeah TLDR, price on that chart is correct. Until you actually start mining and realise prices are higher than you expect due to insane usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

The numbers are not accurate.

I can assure these numbers are taken by using standard residential rates. However, a lot of countries have different rates for commercial, industrial and residential.

And again, they have tiered levels.

For example, Serbia. $3,133 seems tempting!
    And yes, it is that cost. per KW, it averages approx €0.05c per KW over a 24 hour period. (Assuming day and night rates etc)
    But what info isn’t provided, is as soon as you use x amount of KW in a month, you enter a higher tier.
    Price increases to .07c per KW.
    And again... and again. There are 6 tier’s.

I myself didn’t expect this.
    I have a farm there. And we use approx 295kw/h.
    We hit the first 2 tier tarrif’s in 8 hours!
    And within 4 days, we were in the second highest tier.
    And 10 days later, the highest tier.

Our bills spiralled out of control. So we moved back to Ireland, as we secured a very good rate, with a non tiered supply.

However, we have since returned to Serbia, and secured an agreement for the second tier with unlimited usage, plus a hefty monthly fee.

So yeah TLDR, price on that chart is correct. Until you actually start mining and realise prices are higher than you expect due to insane usage.

Ukraine not an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Ah, the good ol pump and dump

Back to 7k by midnight

:rolleyes:

I'll be honest I was surprised as well considering the lack of confidence, had this pinned as a short term trap. It's spiked, dramatically, held and continues to float for a few days now after the rise. Give it another few days and if this doesn't drop.. there's a chance we might be out of bear territory and into "cautiously optimistic phase"

Unless a new mania phase hits like December, early Jan - which I think the market as a whole has learnt from, then if we're to go up, I think it will be more gradual. Again, disclaimer, I haven't a clue bc this market is so unpredictable

• Advertisement

Doodee wrote: »
    Ukraine not an option?

Spent wayyyyy too much money getting setup here :( and I know no one in Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Tango One

Wonder did the take AC cost into account. Ireland is supposed to be the number location for data centre due to our climate.

Tango One wrote: »
    Wonder did the take AC cost into account. Ireland is supposed to be the number location for data centre due to our climate.

Looks like their costs for mining 1 BTC are targetted at home users with 1-2 ASIC’s over x amount of months to get 1 BTC.
    It’s impossible for that to be industrial / commercial costs for a large mine running AC / rental, and higher tariffs for higher usage.
    The KVA connection rental alone in Ireland is insane once you go over the standard 30+- supply for any warehouse / factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

$10k incoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭el diablo

Hope everyone's onboard for another bull run.:)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

el diablo wrote: »

Oh yeah I bought cheap when everyone else was moaning that this was the end of crypto!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

if mount gox guy dumps some more then the bull run will be short lived

• Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

jobless wrote: »
    if mount gox guy dumps some more then the bull run will be short lived

BTC volume in just 24 hours is close to USD 10 billion - don't think a gradual sell of the Gox amount will affect it much (no one dumps it all or in one go)

The run has stopped, we're down around 12% since this time yesterday. The rise was too sharp, so the market has adjusted. Seems healthy, normal. If this approx level doesn't enter a bad slide for the next few weeks then things could be looking good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

Anyone any predictions for June, I think its going to make the brake and move above $10k to trade $11-13k

• Registered Users Posts: 19,950 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    Anyone any predictions for June, I think its going to make the brake and move above $10k to trade $11-13k

I know I had a crystal ball around here somewhere, can you hang on a minute while I take a look under the sofa - or it might be in one of the kids bedrooms, which would mean I could be a while looking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

cnocbui wrote: »
    I know I had a crystal ball around here somewhere, can you hang on a minute while I take a look under the sofa - or it might be in one of the kids bedrooms, which would mean I could be a while looking?

Not crystal balls but using TA you can see that it has broken out after retesting the lows of sub $6k

449951.png

This is going higher and will start trading above $10k

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jacknorris

Hi Guys, I'm looking to buy Bitcoin and hoping to use an Irish company if possible. I came across bitireland.ie and I'm wondering if anyone on here has used them and if so what they thought of them? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭OldHouse

I never heard of them, but the best way to buy bitcoin is to set up a kraken or coinbase account and then transfer money from your own bank account. Then you can exchange your euro for bitcoin or a handful of other coins within these exchanges. That's the first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

I'd recommend coinbase too.
    Its very straightforward if this is your first time.

Edited to remove referral link. User banned from forum for a week. Read the charter before posting please.

donegal. wrote: »

Of course you would. Your referral link is in there. :P

Kraken is a cheaper option. You can send funds by SEPA for free and put in a limit order for BTC rather than taking Coinbase's inflated markets price and paying their huge fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Of course you would. Your referral link is in there. :P

Good spotting! That's a siteban if the rules are followed to the letter. Referral links are banned, trying to disguise it in a link is another level of scummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

GarIT wrote: »
    Good spotting! That's a siteban if the rules are followed to the letter. Referral links are banned, trying to disguise it in a link is another level of scummy.

It's a rule I've always despised on here cuz of the way they brought it in and all their bullsh1t Schiller talk but yea, this was snakey/scummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Kuva wrote: »
    It's a rule I've always despised on here cuz of the way they brought it in and all their bullsh1t Schiller talk but yea, this was snakey/scummy.

I'm actually a bit confised because it is in the charter for this forum specifically but I remember from a few years back it was a siteban unless it was in a referral thread.

I think I missed the bull****

donegal. wrote: »

Edited to remove referral link. User banned from forum for a week. Read the charter before posting please.

It wasn't my intention to get anyone banned. Was just pointing it out. :o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

It wasn't my intention to get anyone banned. Was just pointing it out. :o

The post was reported by several users.

the charter is pretty clear on referral links.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Kuva wrote: »

That’s his conservative estimate as well. Some disgusting power consumption for a speculative instrument with no real utility apart from hoping that someone will pay you more for it than what you paid for it. And Bitcoin’s is overwhelmingly distributed to a small percentage of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

This article is even more damning: https://grist.org/article/bitcoins-energy-use-got-studied-and-you-libertarian-nerds-look-even-worse-than-usual/

“A single bitcoin transaction is so energy intensive that it could power the average U.S. household for a month”.

“A fluctuating bitcoin price, along with increases in computer efficiency, has slowed the cryptocurrency’s energy footprint growth rate to “just” 20 percent per month so far in this year. If that keeps up, bitcoin would consume all the world’s electricity by January 2021”.

“By late next year, bitcoin could be consuming more electricity than all the world’s solar panels currently produce — about 1.8 percent of global electricity, according to a simple extrapolation of the study’s predictions. That would effectively erase decades of progress on renewable energy”.

That’s preposterous.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

This article is even more damning: https://grist.org/article/bitcoins-energy-use-got-studied-and-you-libertarian-nerds-look-even-worse-than-usual/

“A single bitcoin transaction is so energy intensive that it could power the average U.S. household for a month”.

“A fluctuating bitcoin price, along with increases in computer efficiency, has slowed the cryptocurrency’s energy footprint growth rate to “just” 20 percent per month so far in this year. If that keeps up, bitcoin would consume all the world’s electricity by January 2021”.

“By late next year, bitcoin could be consuming more electricity than all the world’s solar panels currently produce — about 1.8 percent of global electricity, according to a simple extrapolation of the study’s predictions. That would effectively erase decades of progress on renewable energy”.

That’s preposterous.

Which why we'll no doubt see POS based blockchain (and maybe tangle), with coins such as NEO and DASH, replace POW in the medium or long term. In addition to the environmental issue, a low energy footprint makes more economic sense and will give them a stronger competitive edge.

• Advertisement

Now that the blockchain is editable (if they want) is it all not now a waste of time?

Advertisement