Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying bitcoins

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I dont usually post charts here, but I seen lots of comments about nobody making money, well I've been consistently making good returns since Christmas, JohnnyFlash has written my methods off as chasing PnDs in a previous thread so not trying to prove anything to him.

But an example of patience paying off today, set a support/Base price level of about 13000 on this chart ELEC/ETH about a month ago, finally came to fruition today it broke the base and fell over 12% down, of course it returned to the base price within hours. You could be in and out banking 10% profit in 4 - 6 hours.

This is just one example, I've got up to 200 alerts running at anyone time.

https://www.coinigy.com/s/i/5b032c87b9267/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    The skeptics thread might be best for some of this perhaps?

Not getting enough attention in that thread. Something seriously wrong in someone's life when they spend so much time posting about something on a forum that they literally have no investment in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

That 1.8% figure is based on the price of bitcoin staying around 8k. If the price were to go up then energy usage would explode also. It’s becoming a serious problem. For what? So people can speculate on the price of them? Madness. It’s actua outrageous if you think about it for more than 10 seconds.

Out of curiosity do you have figures for the power consumption of traditional transaction services like Visa, etc?

Would like to know how they compare to BTC power usage on a per tx basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Why would I waste my time? Multiple posters have given you numerous examples over and over and over again. You ignore them, go away for a couple of days and then come back with your same nonsense. Maybe you just regularly post when up to your eyeballs in booze and just can't remember what you have been told. As you have mentioned on a couple of occasions that you were under the influence whilst posting.

I actually think Johnny might have a problem with the gargle if truth be told. The fcuker seems like he's half pissed most of the time.

Does have his moments of lucidity though. He's made some pretty compelling arguments against bitcoin in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I actually think Johnny might have a problem with the gargle if truth be told. The fcuker seems like he's half pissed most of the time.

Does have his moments of lucidity though. He's made some pretty compelling arguments against bitcoin in any case.

No doubting I’ve a lip on me for porter, Paddy, but keep it to the weekend. Unusual for me to be well on it of a Sunday evening but I was celebrating Wexford beating Dublin. A sauna, a good shîte, and a chicken fillet roll and I’m out and about like I never touched a drop in my life.

My arguments are based on reading about the topic quite extensively. Smart bucks from Harvard, ULA, Stanford etc. saying the space is a load of cock. Lads with a few bob like Bil Gates and Buffett saying they’d short the shîte out of the market, a newspaper like the Financial Times witting it off.

Even today there’s another dude saying there’s a good chance Bitcoins true value is 0. Not some punter spouting shîte on a message board; but the chief economist of a 5 trillion euro investment firm. Probably a salty nocoiner though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Doodee wrote: »
    Out of curiosity do you have figures for the power consumption of traditional transaction services like Visa, etc?

https://hackernoon.com/the-bitcoin-vs-visa-electricity-consumption-fallacy-8cf194987a50

https://www.coinspeaker.com/2015/06/30/bitcoin-uses-5000-times-more-power-per-transaction-than-visa-says-cryptography-expert-10325/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

Kuva wrote: »
    Doodee wrote: »

https://hackernoon.com/the-bitcoin-vs-visa-electricity-consumption-fallacy-8cf194987a50

https://www.coinspeaker.com/2015/06/30/bitcoin-uses-5000-times-more-power-per-transaction-than-visa-says-cryptography-expert-10325/

Thank you

Bears are back in town, where's our butcher?

I dont usually post charts here, but I seen lots of comments about nobody making money, well I've been consistently making good returns since Christmas, JohnnyFlash has written my methods off as chasing PnDs in a previous thread so not trying to prove anything to him.

But an example of patience paying off today, set a support/Base price level of about 13000 on this chart ELEC/ETH about a month ago, finally came to fruition today it broke the base and fell over 12% down, of course it returned to the base price within hours. You could be in and out banking 10% profit in 4 - 6 hours.

This is just one example, I've got up to 200 alerts running at anyone time.

https://www.coinigy.com/s/i/5b032c87b9267/

I might try continue to share daily charts for a couple of days to prove to a few folk theres plenty profit to be made even in the bearest of markets.

DEB/BTC on Kucoin last night, broke my perceived support value of around 615 SATS and tumbled all the way to 500 at its worst, of course we got a beautiful bounce all the way up to nearly 700 SATS within 12 hours.
    Theres 30% profit banked for 12 hours in the market.

https://www.coinigy.com/s/i/5b047f8da8a84/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

I haven't really been keeping a close eye on the markets over the last week but I see Binance started trading TrueUSD (TUSD). I am currently mostly in Tether. Is it now perceived as a better option when you want to hold money in fiat? I am kinda leaning towards better the devil you know.

The fact they needed to add Trust to the name makes me even more suspicious about the whole thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

if buffett is so class at investing how come he didnt invest in bitcoin 5 years ago and making a fortune?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Shauny2010

if buffett is so class at investing how come he didnt invest in bitcoin 5 years ago and making a fortune?

Or Amazon, Alphabet(Google), Tesla, Dell etc
    See a trend here?
    Buffet doesn't mention the pension funds he raided either. He's still agreedy person, he wouldn't tell anyone his real plans, you'll only ever hear about his investments after the event.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    See a trend here?
    Buffet doesn't mention the pension funds he raided either. He's still agreedy person, he wouldn't tell anyone his real plans, you'll only ever hear about his investments after the event.

If he told every one what he was going to invest in before he invested, it would just drive up the price and the investment would cost him more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Nah.

What he does is invest.

Then publicise it.

Then average joes barrel in cos he's class.

Price goes up

It's like YouTube's and crypto icos

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nah.

What he does is invest.

Then publicise it.

Then average joes barrel in cos he's class.

Price goes up

It's like YouTube's and crypto icos

Buffett is a buy and hold type investor. A short term increase in price after he's bought doesn't really affect him if he plans on holding the stock for 10+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Buffett is a buy and hold type investor. A short term increase in price after he's bought doesn't really affect him if he plans on holding the stock for 10+ years.

Ah.. so the hodlers are really just copying Buffet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Shauny2010 wrote: »
    See a trend here?

hah, sounds like you're describing Ian Balina there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,869 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

He didn't invest in Amazon or Apple either, saying about the latter that he didn't invest in things he didn't understand - the whole tech sector being something he didn't 'understand' at the time.

I might try continue to share daily charts for a couple of days to prove to a few folk theres plenty profit to be made even in the bearest of markets.

DEB/BTC on Kucoin last night, broke my perceived support value of around 615 SATS and tumbled all the way to 500 at its worst, of course we got a beautiful bounce all the way up to nearly 700 SATS within 12 hours.
    Theres 30% profit banked for 12 hours in the market.

https://www.coinigy.com/s/i/5b047f8da8a84/

Not sure if these charts are much interest to anyone but today was a great day to increase holdings in BTC, ETH and even NEO. Alerts were pinging all day.

Here's one of my 1st, my perceived base support was broken at about 0.00171ETH, and took a dive to 0.0016 ETH where I had some buys hit.

We got a bounce within 4 hours as usual past the last base support to .00176 ETH. So up to an easy 10% for very little time in the market here.

https://www.coinigy.com/s/i/5b05cd5e8fdf5/

So that's 10% Monday, 25 - 30% Tuesday and another 10% today. It's not a bad racket....

cnocbui wrote: »
    He didn't invest in Amazon or Apple either, saying about the latter that he didn't invest in things he didn't understand - the whole tech sector being something he didn't 'understand' at the time.
    Has 46 Billion of Apple shares now, Berkshires biggest stock, holding since 2016 and is sorry he didn't buy Google and Amazon.

Said Bitcoin was "probably rat poison squared".

• Advertisement

Not sure if these charts are much interest to anyone but today was a great day to increase holdings in BTC, ETH and even NEO. Alerts were pinging all day.

Here's one of my 1st, my perceived base support was broken at about 0.00171ETH, and took a dive to 0.0016 ETH where I had some buys hit.

We got a bounce within 4 hours as usual past the last base support to .00176 ETH. So up to an easy 10% for very little time in the market here.

https://www.coinigy.com/s/i/5b05cd5e8fdf5/

So that's 10% Monday, 25 - 30% Tuesday and another 10% today. It's not a bad racket....
    .00016 up is it? You'd need to be buying alot?

Yep, It's 10% of whatever you can buy. Nothing to be sniffed at for a couple hours in the market

People may snigger at a 10% returns, but for me that is massive as there is so little risk (for me at least), time in the market is so small you could if do well bank 5-10% daily.

And these opportunities are daily and massive volumes can be found, for example right now ETH/BTC Binance broke a base of mine earlier and has bounced 5% with super volume. 2 more bases not broke yet but i'll be watching closely.

https://www.coinigy.com/s/i/5b05deedd84be/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Yep, It's 10% of whatever you can buy. Nothing to be sniffed at for a couple hours in the market

People may snigger at a 10% returns, but for me that is massive as there is so little risk (for me at least), time in the market is so small you could if do well bank 5-10% daily.

And these opportunities are daily and massive volumes can be found, for example right now ETH/BTC Binance broke a base of mine earlier and has bounced 5% with super volume. 2 more bases not broke yet but i'll be watching closely.

good if you know TA.... i wouldnt know where to start

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I'm the same with the litecoins selling at €140 euro and buying back sub €100 I have a nice few now after all the dips!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

This talk from Andreas Antonopoulos is worth a listen. Even you skeptics might learn something. :P

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

Anyone interested in throwing some analysis my way for 5-10% gains feel free!

Happy to reward these tips if they pay out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Anyone interested in throwing some analysis my way for 5-10% gains feel free!

Happy to reward these tips if they pay out!

What sort of analysis are you looking for? Happy to oblige, but I think at this stage we are probably waiting for a bitcoin ETF to get things properly going again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Because BTC is inherently risky, it also contradicts any investment logic

Buffet is such a well renowned and respected investor because he has consistently produced results despite fads, bubbles, market turmoil, swings, etc. He would delve into the most minute details of hundreds of businesses and companies and their stock to determine the real stock value, and would err on the side of calculated and well-researched caution

Crypto is nothing like that. You can't "value" most crypto (like you can for example a share). It's value is derived far more from psychology, FOMO, dumb money, smart money, scams, cartels, etc, etc than anything approaching a calculable value

For every friend I know invested in crypto who actually (sort of) understand crypto, there are 5 invested who don't have a clue. And forget about basic economic and financial fundamentals/knowledge - most crypto investors couldn't value a small company let alone a crypto

Putting all the tech aside, in my opinion it really doesn't matter if most of this stuff is rat poison, it's that it's artificially scarce shiny rat poison wrapped up in bells and whistles, that people want to gamble and speculate on. That demand is what I bet on in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 geoffreycelen

How I buy the Bitcoins?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,869 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

How I buy the Bitcoins?:)

Buy a small amount to verify your bank details then you can buy and sell up to the weekly limits: https://www.belgacoin.com/index.jsp

Alternatively you can create an account with an exchange like Coinbase which would enable you to trade larger amounts more quickly.

Advertisement