Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

David Crooks from Bioware thinks it's great he's dead

https://archive.li/UuEJw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Skerries wrote: »

Well...he's getting fired today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Ah yes, wishing death and misery upon someone just because they gave you poor reviews.

Seems like a real nice bloke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

In some ways Twitter is a public service, because it coaxes such absolute oxygen thieves into exposing themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

"**** that guy 9 ways to Sunday and good riddance to bad rubbish"

As Tony Soprano would say "OOOOHHHHHHHH"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Well...he's getting fired today.

Hopefully never to be hired anywhere again. I have no idea who this guy who died is as I had no interest in gaming for a long time, but that's absolutely revolting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Somehow doubt it he'll be fired. Bioware is full of the worst kinds of people and we've seen this kind of crap before from the big companies. Palle Hoffstein still works for Ubisoft despite it being revealed that he participated in a doxing attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭panevthe3rd

Never really knew about total biscuit until the news about him retireing because of his illness.

I would encourage anyone who has the ability to hack David Crooks twitter account to change his handle to @totalarsebiscuit.

What an absolute asshole he is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Casey Hudson of Bioware is having none of it.

https://twitter.com/CaseyDHudson/status/1000442738578370561

Crooks is a sack of garbage but seems he's not worked at Bioware for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Crooks did have a point albeit poor way to use it when the lad has died but Totalbiscuit was a bit of a dick and Crooks just highlighted that.

Poor form tho.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

He was sacked then I take it? What an absolute scumbag, he should be ashamed of himself, tb annoyed me at times and I didn't always agree with his opinions but I loved his Wtf videos and the Co op podcast, started watching it way back in 2012, was very sorry to hear he passed and shocked if I'm honest, I know he posted about a month ago about not having much time left but damn I didn't think he would go that fast, rip.

He was sacked then I take it? What an absolute scumbag, he should be ashamed of himself, tb annoyed me at times and I didn't always agree with his opinions but I loved his Wtf videos and the Co op podcast, started watching it way back in 2012, was very sorry to hear he passed and shocked if I'm honest, I know he posted about a month ago about not having much time left but damn I didn't think he would go that fast, rip.

I think the implication was that he's not worked there for awhile. Honestly what he did was dickish not because of what he did but the way he said it, I think that TotalBiscuit was quite hateful and spiteful in what he did at times, there are plenty of examples of him going way overboard in order to shit on something for no real reason. His obsession with tech specs and asking "why does this game not have this when this game does" was just strange and felt like a way for him to bash a game for no reason, also his support of Gamer Gate and the fact that there are numerous examples of him being an utter dick to people, both fans or industry figures alike.

It's always a shame when someone dies and at times I liked some of what he did but it doesn't mean that people can't point out some of the shit he pulled. We live in a world where as soon as someone dies all criticism is stopped and no matter how big a dick you were people will look on you fondly.

The man was dead a couple of hours
    Unreal what I'm reading

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The man was dead a couple of hours
    Unreal what I'm reading

The argument to be made is, does the fact that someone is dead mean that they cannot be criticised? What the guy did is shitty beyond belief and he should lose his job over it.

At the same time, he is entitled to his opinion and someone pointing out some crappy things that another person did is not something that should be an issue as long as they go about it in the right way. I liked some of TB's videos but at the same time disliked quite a bit about him, he wasn't a particularly nice person and he had no issue going after anyone he felt like. His death is no doubt sad for his followers and for it's never nice to see someone so entrenched in gaming pass but at the same time he made a lot of enemies so it's not surprising that they aren't all broken up about his death.

He is after all the man who said: "I'm also not going to claim they [death threats] were credible because well, Anita is still breathing" when Anita Sarkisian (I'm not a fan of her either) received death threats. He was one of those pseudointellectuals who wanted everyone to know how smart he was, I think that he has tweeted his IQ on a couple of occasions and wasn't above having a go at other YouTubers and had an issue with traditional gaming journalists going so far as to call Leigh Alexander an alcoholic.

There is a time and a place
    Not two hours after the man dies

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    There is a time and a place
    Not two hours after the man dies

The right course of action is to say nothing and let sleeping dogs lie but at the same time if someone wants to make a public comment that they are happy someone is dead then they are entitled to do so. Doesn't make it right or something that I would ever consider doing but when you have people stupid enough to identify who they are and where they work on their personal accounts then it is expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems he is mostly just annoyed that total biscuit criticised his games. Suck it up horrible man baby and get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The argument to be made is, does the fact that someone is dead mean that they cannot be criticised? What the guy did is shitty beyond belief and he should lose his job over it.

Dead men can be criticised, but what this guy did was not criticise. He spoke of his relief that TB was dead, and the sole reason for this is because TB said mean things about his game.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Dead men can be criticised, but what this guy did was not criticise. He spoke of his relief that TB was dead, and the sole reason for this is because TB said mean things about his game.

As I said, I don't agree with how he went about it and think that if he still has a job should lose it but at the same time let's not pretend that TB was above going after anyone who dared criticise him as anyone who did, got an essay worth of abuse in return.

As I said, there is a time and place but the problem with the modern world is that the likes of Twitter have made people think that their voice needs to be heard. Far too many people with nothing to say are very vocal in relation to any number of topics saying any old crap and this is just the latest example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

https://twitter.com/ChrisRGun/status/1000443341064949765

Another sex offender who is anti gamergate and unsympathetic about TB's death. I definitely didn't like a lot about TB but he's practically the only reviewer who took performance and features seriously. Most reviews in the mainstream are wall-o-texts about how it was too hard and didn't have enough/the right political messages. I appreciated at least one popular one saying don't buy it because it performs as bad as the console versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

At the same time.

There is not "at the same time" the guy was gloating over a mans death hours after he passed away, he's a dirt bird and anyone who would excuse that behaviour isn't far behind him.

Bambi wrote: »
    There is not "at the same time" the guy was gloating over a mans death hours after he passed away, he's a dirt bird and anyone who would excuse that behaviour isn't far behind him.

I never defended him, excused him or said what he did was right, in fact I pointed out what a dick he is but by all means look past that so that you can get a dig in.

Crooks comes across as a very unlikeable human being but just because we think that, doesn't mean that he can't say what he wants. Until Twitter and the like actually enforce their ToS then things like this will continue to happen.

The last thing on my mind when someone dies, even if I hated them would be to go online to get a dig in. But when you live in the modern world it is now a very real possibility that your death will be mocked, especially if you were someone well known for attacking others and going after whole groups of people.

I wasn't a fan of TB but many were and they are no doubt hurting, and even if you are not it's pretty shitty whenever someone so young dies. It's a loss to gaming, no doubt about that but TB was quite well known for his at times toxic personality, part of his appeal was that he was happy to go after anyone and was often very vocal about his hatred for certain titles, individuals and movements. It's part of what put me off him, especially his attacks on certain women involved in mainstream gaming. When you do this and become known in part for it then some of the people your vitriol was aimed at are not exactly going to be upset when you die. Doesn't mean that they should post nasty comments but it is their prerogative.

This whole thing brings up some interesting ethical questions. If for example, Donald Trump passed away tomorrow would comments such as those posted on Twitter be acceptable? What if Kim Jong-un was to pass away, would tweets celebrating this be received with the same level of anger?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I never defended him, excused him or said what he did was right, in fact I pointed out what a dick he is but by all means look past that so that you can get a dig in.

Crooks comes across as a very unlikeable human being but just because we think that, doesn't mean that he can't say what he wants. Until Twitter and the like actually enforce their ToS then things like this will continue to happen.

The last thing on my mind when someone dies, even if I hated them would be to go online to get a dig in. But when you live in the modern world it is now a very real possibility that your death will be mocked, especially if you were someone well known for attacking others and going after whole groups of people.

I wasn't a fan of TB but many were and they are no doubt hurting, and even if you are not it's pretty shitty whenever someone so young dies. It's a loss to gaming, no doubt about that but TB was quite well known for his at times toxic personality, part of his appeal was that he was happy to go after anyone and was often very vocal about his hatred for certain titles, individuals and movements. It's part of what put me off him, especially his attacks on certain women involved in mainstream gaming. When you do this and become known in part for it then some of the people your vitriol was aimed at are not exactly going to be upset when you die. Doesn't mean that they should post nasty comments but it is their prerogative.

This whole thing brings up some interesting ethical questions. If for example, Donald Trump passed away tomorrow would comments such as those posted on Twitter be acceptable? What if Kim Jong-un was to pass away, would tweets celebrating this be received with the same level of anger?
    Dead men can't defend themselves against your words/actions; attacking someone after they've died shows you're a coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No-one comes out of this looking good.

A man is dead, you can always keep what you thought of him to yourself. Not sure why people feel the need to broadcast stuff like that across social media, particularly those with a high profile job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

No-one comes out of this looking good.

A man is dead, you can always keep what you thought of him to yourself. Not sure why people feel the need to broadcast stuff like that across social media, particularly those with a high profile job.

Some people like to get the last dig.

RIP to him though, never watched his videos I wasn't a fan prefer angry joe. Not nice to see a person who was loved by millions pass away so young, specially from cancer.

What I dont understand is the gofundme page for him, I mean surely his family is well off regarding money. The chap was worth a few million at least, probably worth more now. I don't think his family set up the page for himself, looks like a friend did, seems like taking advantage of the situation to me.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Dead men can't defend themselves against your words/actions; attacking someone after they've died shows you're a coward.

No one is saying otherwise, just that when you are knonw as a toxic personality there is a chance that people are going to revel in your death.

Also saying they are a coward implies that attacking someone before they die makes you something else, what happened here is shitty but no worse than some of TB's tirades against industry figures. Him attacking Leigh Alexander or Anita Sarkisian when they were alive was cowardly and uncalled for. As I said, I wasn't a fan of TB and distasteful as Crooks attack was I'm not overcome with sympathy for TB given that when he was alive he was quite a toxic and unlikeable figure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement