Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't really have any interest in those types of games, but from what I gather Fortnite appears to have completely eaten both PUBG and Overwatch's lunches this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Varik wrote: »

PUBG stole the idea from a movie. Basically EPIC did a better job than the unoptimized mess that is PUBG, and have beaten at there own game.

Honestly, the idea that you can own a game mode is also absurd. Honestly, glad I never played PUBG, there some chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Overwatch is a different type of game but yeah, I'd say they've taken a sizeable amount of players away.

PUBG are probably seething though but I doubt they have a leg to stand on in court.

Also...
    Behind the scenes, the two companies have an existing business relationship as PUBG is built on the Unreal gaming engine, which was developed by Epic Games.

Pretty much biting the hands that feeds them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Didn't Epic build the PUBG engine and develop their own better one at the same time?

• Advertisement

wes wrote: »
    PUBG stole the idea from a movie. Basically EPIC did a better job than the unoptimized mess that is PUBG, and have beaten at there own game.

Honestly, the idea that you can own a game mode is also absurd. Honestly, glad I never played PUBG, there some chancers.

Pretty much this; the book was called Battle Royale.
    Didn't Epic build the PUBG engine and develop their own better one at the same time?

Nearly.... EPIC make a game engine called Unreal. PUBG is built on that engine.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Overwatch is a different type of game but yeah, I'd say they've taken a sizeable amount of players away.

True, though Fortnite seems to have hit on PUBG's game type and marketed it to Overwatch's demographic for the most part (again though, I could be completely wrong there!). If that's the case, it really has worked a treat for them... I've even heard elderly people mention it.

Fortnite is PUBG with some personality and a hell of a lot fewer bugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Didn’t PUBG rip off H1Z1?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I havn't really played much of either so maybe I'm missing some critical point but I don't see whats so new and amazing about this "new" Battle Royale mode.
    Myself and friends were playing similar on Minecraft years ago on levels we built ourselves, maybe I should look at suing them all :pac:

• Advertisement

Fortnite is PUBG with some personality and a hell of a lot fewer bugs.
    Makes sense. It's not my type of game as I said so I'm not saying PUBG isn't good to those who do have an interest in them, but on the whole it really did bore me to tears when I had a friends Xbox for the weekend a month or two back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I havn't really played much of either so maybe I'm missing some critical point but I don't see whats so new and amazing about this "new" Battle Royale mode.
    Myself and friends were playing similar on Minecraft years ago on levels we built ourselves, maybe I should look at suing them all :pac:

As far as I can tell, half the internet is made up of kids who'd rather watch some numpty shout into a mic & play these games, than actually pick up a mouse & git gud.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

When is a microtransaction not a microtransaction? When it's costs $27,000...
    Crowdfunded space simulation game Star Citizen has launched its $27,000 (£20,000) Legatus Pack, which includes nearly all its spacecraft plus extras.

Only players who have already spent $1,000 in the game can access the pack.

Cloud Imperium, the creators of Star Citizen, has received more than $200m in crowdfunding since launching a Kickstarter campaign for it in 2012.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44290194

Ted, I'm going mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I dont understand how or why PUBG could sue Fortnite when the likes of H1Z1 was out years before it.. :confused:

Its absurd, why even bother? Just focus on making your game better you PUBG twats. Make it as polished as Fortnite and your numbers will rise again..

Would this lawsuit shit be solely the choice of Aul Player unknown himself? or would it be a room of board members deciding it would be profitable? If the prior, i have to say, he is a professional arsehole :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Noxin wrote: »

Wtf is this ****. Way too early for a new fallout game. 4 was a load of shyte anyway. Ya... Still gonna get a new fallout game at launch but definitely won't be digital this time.

Remaster of 3 or New Vegas maybe?

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    :eek:

:(

I was going to have a rant about this but actually it's a pretty damning commentary on the entire industry, and the lack of recognition given to women working in it, that Leigh Alexander is considered one of the most prominent women in gaming.

FFS.
    Technically she's not "in gaming", but rather in "gaming journalism".
    And I feel that a big distinction should be made there; in addition, most gaming companies would rather you know the publisher/studio's name than the director/producer.
    J. Marston wrote: »
    "Get cancer" is such a massively cúnt-ish thing to say. Shows the emotional intelligence of a fly. All too common to hear now on mic in gaming these days.
    I used to call people much worse when I was an immature early-20s jerk.
    If I went through anyone's post history from years ago, I'm sure I could find a juicy nugget or 2.

E.g. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68614525&postcount=132
    yHdbA37.png

J. Marston likes shooting helpless girls in the face! :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That is a Fallout looking announcement anyway. Too soon for a new game completely, so i'd say a new batch of DLC's.

Would love a remake/remaster of 3 or NV though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

I'm going with 3/NV remaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Wtf is this ****. Way too early for a new fallout game. 4 was a load of shyte anyway. Ya... Still gonna get a new fallout game at launch but definitely won't be digital this time.

Go away with your remasters. Hoping for a New Vegas style spinoff.

• Advertisement

You're all wrong...

Fallout: Battle Royale

Kiith wrote: »
    That is a Fallout looking announcement anyway. Too soon for a new game completely, so i'd say a new batch of DLC's.

Would love a remake/remaster of 3 or NV though.

It's been 3.5 years, so relatively old (probably in time for the new consoles)

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Tale of Two Wastelands Official? Man can dream

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Go away with your remasters. Hoping for a New Vegas style spinoff.

Yup, same here. A spin off would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Noxin wrote: »
    Not quite news yet but:

:eek:

Fallout card game? :D

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

a Fallout: Battle Royale card game

Fallout vs Street Fighter

Fallout Online

Fallout Online

Probably. The green on the screen, green = online.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It's been 3.5 years, so relatively old (probably in time for the new consoles)

It's been 3.5 years since Fallout 4? ****in hell :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement