Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,650 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Where’s the next assassins creed location?

I don't know. There probably won't be a new AC game until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Rumoured to be Ancient Greece. No information on what period of that era it’ll be set in though, it’s very broad.

Apparently the new Metro is delayed now too
    Fs, hardly anything left worth waiting for this year

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Everyone is terrified of taking on big bad RDR2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

As they should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Some good? news for Sony Handheld/Mobile gaming.

451450.PNG

451451.PNG

451452.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Why the images?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Streaming to any device is where the market is going. There are a few options in the pipeline. The next Playstation infrastructure will have the ability to play your PS games on your mobile. Either streamed from your own PS5 or from their PS Now system.

nVidia are beta testing their system that lets you play your own Steam games on their high end PC and stream it to any crappy device that can handle the video.

Steam just released the Steam Link beta App on Andriod & iOS, you can stream your PC games to your phone. (Like the Steam Link but without the little box). They also have this app on Samsung smart TV's.

And EA just bought Gamefly who stream games to mobile devices.

The days of consoles and high end PC's are far from over. These moves are looking to bring in the extra base of players who can't afford/justify the outlay for the box but still want to play the latest games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Varik wrote: »
    Why the images?

Tried linking the story, but due to the way some Bloomberg news windows operate, it's not possible. Thought it would be better to image it instead of just copy/pasta the text, for authenticity. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Streaming will go the way of 3D in TVs, unless they can work towards super low latency.

Some people (not me) claim to be sensitive to the delay in a wireless controller vs a wired one.

Latency will kill streaming models!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Playstation Now is absolutely poo unless you're Playstation is plugged straight into your modem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sony won't be doing a handheld device. IT will be a streaming service or a mobile games division/partnership with someone like DeNA.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm tempted to give the free trial of PSNow a go to play RDR ahead of the sequel's release. I've got 240Mb cable from Virgin shared between 3 devices (PC, phone and PS4), if that can't manage it, then GTFO :) But I've also seen rumours that it's something they're going to be doubling down on at E3 this year too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you have access to a Xbox 360 or better yet a Xbox One you are better playing it that way. The PS3 version is really poor compared to the 360 release.

I've played both versions all the way through, there's no way you would tell any difference after a few minutes.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,146 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It runs in native 4k on the XB1X now too.

I've played both versions all the way through, there's no way you would tell any difference after a few minutes.

The PS3 version has very harsh LoD limits and a much lower resolution. It also drops frames a lot more and tears than the 360 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sony won't be doing a handheld device

Thank god, the psp and vita were garbage

Greyfox wrote: »
    Sony won't be doing a handheld device

Oh hell no!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

They're great machines, what are you on about?!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, I'd have to agree, they were clever tech just not really given the marketing and game support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Rob2D wrote: »
    They're great machines, what are you on about?!

A lot of the games were just scaled down versions of superior main console games, games you can play on a handheld device rather than the games been designed for handheld. Both had a poor games library compared to other consoles.

The PS3 version has very harsh LoD limits and a much lower resolution. It also drops frames a lot more and tears than the 360 version.

That's true, but it really is unnoticeable. It's not worth buying an Xbox for. You would have to be looking out for it. The game plays absolutely fine on PS3, it's not worth worrying about that much.

A lot of the games were just scaled down versions of superior main console games, games you can play on a handheld device rather than the games been designed for handheld. Both had a poor games library compared to other consoles.

PSP has one of the finest libraries of any console. There's so many amazing games exclusive to that system. It's only downfall was it was up against the DS which has arguable the best library of any system.

The Vita might have flopped but it has a great library of exclusives and many indie games just feel at home on the system. Access to the majority of the PSP library helps.

I'd go so far to say that both systems have line ups of exclusives that put to shame the PS4 and XBox One.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'd go so far to say that both systems have line ups of exclusives that put to shame the PS4 and XBox One.
    Slight tangent, but has any console seen a run of smash hit exclusives like the PS4 has in the last two years or so? I'm on PC and moving country at the end of the year, to be honest I'm beyond any remote doubt now that I'll be picking up a second hand PS4 with a good dozen or so games easily.

Maybe it's the fact that XBox have barely come out with any exclusives of particular note to match it or because I'm more of a single player gamer and many those titles particularly appeal to me because of it, but having been out of gaming from about 2007-2016 at a glance it almost looks like on this front the "console wars" have turned into the Simpsons joke of "stop, STOP! He's already dead!"

I've felt the PS4 has been extremely poor with regards to exclusives. Especially compared to previous consoles. I'd say it's the worst since the original xbox if the xbox one wasn't doing even worse. Seems to be improving but so far when you exclude games also on PC I find the console has only recently really hit it's stride.

Really can't see how someone can say that when you've got systems like the snes, nes, DS, 3DS, Game cube, mega drive, Saturn, dreamcast, and the previous playstation family.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Billy86 wrote: »
    Slight tangent, but has any console seen a run of smash hit exclusives like the PS4 has in the last two years or so? I'm on PC and moving country at the end of the year, to be honest I'm beyond any remote doubt now that I'll be picking up a second hand PS4 with a good dozen or so games easily.

Maybe it's the fact that XBox have barely come out with any exclusives of particular note to match it or because I'm more of a single player gamer and many those titles particularly appeal to me because of it, but having been out of gaming from about 2007-2016 at a glance it almost looks like on this front the "console wars" have turned into the Simpsons joke of "stop, STOP! He's already dead!"

I think it depends on the criteria for what are considered "exclusives". Are we counting all games, including exclusive indie games, PSVR games etc, or just the big AAA flagship exclusives?

I think like Retrogamer has kind of said, if you take every console and every exclusive game into consideration, I think the PS4 would be mid-table at best. That's because the gulf between smaller titles and AAA titles keeps getting wider. The bigger games, while generally high-rated by critics and gamers, take so much longer to produce now. While the PS4 is on a great run of exclusives now and likely in the coming years, it took a while to get to this point. Whereas previous consoles always had great runs of exclusives because they were easier and faster to make, and so you had quality and quantity.

The PS4 is definitely having a great run of exclusives that have and are coming to fruition, but I think while quality is high, quantity is much lower than other consoles (where the quality was still relatively high).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I've felt the PS4 has been extremely poor with regards to exclusives. Especially compared to previous consoles. I'd say it's the worst since the original xbox if the xbox one wasn't doing even worse. Seems to be improving but so far when you exclude games also on PC I find the console has only recently really hit it's stride.

Really can't see how someone can say that when you've got systems like the snes, nes, DS, 3DS, Game cube, mega drive, Saturn, dreamcast, and the previous playstation family.

It's vastly different market though - to make a top drawer triple AAA game takes a hell of a lot longer and is way more complex to produce than the games that what went on those systems.

• Advertisement

True but doesn't make the situation any better. The Switch wiped the floor with the PS4 last year but this year has been slow for it too with it relying mostly on wiiu ports so far.

Gone are the days were you can produce a game for one system and get enough sales to be a success. Unless you have platform holder incentives you can't release on just one system and hole to make a profit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement