Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No one is saying otherwise, just that when you are knonw as a toxic personality there is a chance that people are going to revel in your death.

Also saying they are a coward implies that attacking someone before they die makes you something else, what happened here is shitty but no worse than some of TB's tirades against industry figures. Him attacking Leigh Alexander or Anita Sarkisian when they were alive was cowardly and uncalled for. As I said, I wasn't a fan of TB and distasteful as Crooks attack was I'm not overcome with sympathy for TB given that when he was alive he was quite a toxic and unlikeable figure.

I must've missed the deaths of Leigh Alexander / Anita Sarkisian. :rolleyes:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Dead men can't defend themselves against your words/actions; attacking someone after they've died shows you're a coward.
    I must've missed the deaths of Leigh Alexander / Anita Sarkisian. :rolleyes:

Well done, what a wit. My point was that alive or dead, toxic attacks on anyone aren't acceptable and the fact that TB routinely attacked others makes it hard to feel too much sympathy when someone says nasty things about him after his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Total biscuit was a ****, him dying doesn't make him a saint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Varik wrote: »

Hmmm, I didn't like the guy but I wouldn't make that comment normally in the wake of someone's immediate passing. Time and place and all that. I'd give a couple of weeks at least.

I remember reading an article about Sean Hughes in the Guardian by a 'friend' in the day or two after his death totally eviscerating his character. Now, Hughes might have been an absolute dickwad but the article felt whole unnecessary and petty in that moment. A couple of months down the road, a reappraisal of his public persona Vs his private life wouldn't have seemed as bad but the author had himself look like an absolute penis publishing it there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Varik wrote: »

Nobody is saying he was a saint but rejoicing in his death because he passed legitimate criticism on your work is pathetic. And ignoring the massive benefits he brought to gaming and particular communities is pretty one sided.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Well done, what a wit. My point was that alive or dead, toxic attacks on anyone aren't acceptable and the fact that TB routinely attacked others makes it hard to feel too much sympathy when someone says nasty things about him after his death.

Hang on. What "toxic attacks" was TB responsible for?

Did you just hear somewhere that he was a "toxic" individual or you have specific things in mind or what?

Everything I've read that's been negative about him has been vague allusions to bad things he's done. Things so bad that it makes gloating over his death seem reasonable? I don't know because it all seems so vague.

I've never seen anything concrete. Certainly nothing that would make me think he's THAT bad as a person.

So, what have you got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Anita Sarkassian?

The epitome of toxic.

Leigh Alexander is another, made a fool of herself on Giantbomb and called them sexist when they didn't hire her.

Awful people.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Regardless of whether you liked him or not, keep it civil folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Neither of those arsebiscuits is dead so I don't know what you're on about.

Link the attacks or GTFO this thread.

And ignoring the massive benefits he brought to gaming and particular communities is pretty one sided.

Out of curiosity, what benefits did he bring. I'm really not up on Youtube personalities and I only first heard of him in relation to gamergate.

• Advertisement

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    Hang on. What "toxic attacks" was TB responsible for?

Did you just hear somewhere that he was a "toxic" individual or you have specific things in mind or what?

Everything I've read that's been negative about him has been vague allusions to bad things he's done. Things so bad that it makes gloating over his death seem reasonable? I don't know because it all seems so vague.

I've never seen anything concrete. Certainly nothing that would make me think he's THAT bad as a person.

So, what have you got?

I've mentioned a few of them already in this thread, he was quick to attack various prominent women in the gaming field, writing off death threats that Anita Sarkisian received as not being real and tweeting that Leigh Alexander was a drunk. Then there were his various attacks on critics of his and his defence of gamergate.

I have no strong views regarding him, I wasn't a fan even if I did like some of his WTF? videos.

I'm not saying he was a bad person, just that when someone who courts controversy in the way he did while alive it is not that surprising when after his death people get the knives out. I'm not defending anyone who attacked him or saying it is right, just pointing out that in the modern world where everyone thinks that their voice matters these type of incidents are only going to become more common.

Anita Sarkassian?

The epitome of toxic.

Leigh Alexander is another, made a fool of herself on Giantbomb and called them sexist when they didn't hire her.

Awful people.

Just because someone isn't a nice person does not legitimise attacks on them. Anita may be an awful excuse for a journalist but saying death threats she received were not legitimate because no one killed her is a shitty thing to do. Same as publically claiming someone is an alcoholic.
    Neither of those arsebiscuits is dead so I don't know what you're on about.

Link the attacks or GTFO this thread.

Real mature, clearly neither is dead given that I never claimed otherwise. My point was that saying bad things about people when they are alive is no better than when they are dead. Does it make him less of a coward than Crooks because he wrote nasty things about people who were still alive?

I think TB was making a joke there about the death threats.

I can promise you if a male in the gaming press came out drunk as a Lord and said that Nazi Uniforms were hot, he'd be lynch mobbed out of a job in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I'm not overcome with sympathy for TB given that when he was alive he was quite a toxic and unlikeable figure.
    Just because someone isn't a nice person does not legitimise attacks on them.

:pac:

Sieghardt wrote: »
    :pac:

Just cause I have little sympathy for him doesn't mean that attacks are acceptable. Someone can not agree with something and yet still not find it that offensive. I don't like TB and attacks on him in the hours after his death don't upset me or make me angry given that when alive he was quite vocal.

I'm sure it's upsetting for friends and family of his to read the attacks but it may have equally have been as upsetting to the friend and family of the many people he attacked when alive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think in this case there's hyperbole on both sides. Total biscuit was no saint and his support of gamergate was.... misguided, although he didn't support the harassment of women when it got heated.

The comments about the death threats were made in jest, and also totally misguided. And questioning Leigh Alexander's (who I do admire) drinking after she went on Giant bombcast hammered twice and made a show of herself in both situations might have some merit. Still not appropriate behaviour but also not exactly the worst sins committed on twitter.

I've mentioned a few of them already in this thread, he was quick to attack various prominent women in the gaming field, writing off death threats that Anita Sarkisian received as not being real and tweeting that Leigh Alexander was a drunk. Then there were his various attacks on critics of his and his defence of gamergate.

I have no strong views regarding him, I wasn't a fan even if I did like some of his WTF? videos.

I'm not saying he was a bad person, just that when someone who courts controversy in the way he did while alive it is not that surprising when after his death people get the knives out. I'm not defending anyone who attacked him or saying it is right, just pointing out that in the modern world where everyone thinks that their voice matters these type of incidents are only going to become more common.

So he said some woman was a drunk? Wow. That's some hardcore stuff. Jeez. I almost can't believe anyone would commit such a toxic attack!

And he was skeptical about death threats!? Well I never! Wow.

Yeah, those aren't "toxic attacks". I'm not even sure how appropriate the word "attack" is to be honest.

I think you are just regurgitating nonsense you've heard elsewhere.

"He was quick to attack various prominent women in the gaming field". I sincerely hope you are not putting Leigh Alexander and Anita Sarkeesian forward as prominent women in gaming?

I'm still thankful that Alexander didn't get hired by GB. She would have ruined it.

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    So he said some woman was a drunk? Wow. That's some hardcore stuff. Jeez. I almost can't believe anyone would commit such a toxic attack!

And he was skeptical about death threats!? Well I never! Wow.

Yeah, those aren't "toxic attacks". I'm not even sure how appropriate the word "attack" is to be honest.

I think you are just regurgitating nonsense you've heard elsewhere.

"He was quick to attack various prominent women in the gaming field". I sincerely hope you are not putting Leigh Alexander and Anita Sarkeesian forward as prominent women in gaming?

Can you name many more women involved in gaming as prominent as Leigh Alexander?

We can argue this all week long but a picture says more than words ever will.
    451987.png

What about this tweet of his: https://twitter.com/totalbiscuit/status/5480297275?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Just as well the FBI investigated those death threats and brought no charges when they found it was a colossal waste of their time otherwise you'd still have some genius banging on like it was an actual thing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So no actual gaming news then, no?

Bambi wrote: »
    Just as well the FBI investigated those death threats and brought no charges when they found it was a colossal waste of their time otherwise you'd still have some genius banging on like it was an actual thing....

Did they say that? If I recall when the FoI request was done there was talk that they spoke with a number of people who they let off with a warning. Just because a death threat wasn't by someone who fully intended to go out and kill someone does not make it any less serious to the person being threatened. There was also a lot of talk at the time from the people threated that the FBI never engaged with them or accepted information relating to the threats. What you are saying is that it's fine to threaten someone as long as you don't intend to go out and actually cause them harm.

Nah, we're way too invested in shít that happened years ago to worry about news...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

We can argue this all week long but a picture says more than words ever will.
    451987.png

What about this tweet of his: https://twitter.com/totalbiscuit/status/5480297275?lang=en

Which he replied to:

https://twitter.com/totalbiscuit/status/329757137330896896?lang=en

Doesn't excuse it but at least he owned up to his own bull****.

Going on what he said to Seanza and the subsequent cause of his demise, I'm totally going to tell my enemies on Twitter that I hope they get rich and have long, happy lives and get the karmic payback I so richly deserve…

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Which he replied to:

https://twitter.com/totalbiscuit/status/329757137330896896?lang=en

Doesn't excuse it but at least he owned up to his own bull****.

Plenty of other examples of him saying similar things. But at least he held his hands up when called to, apologising, when called upon, is all well and good but it's easy to see why some people would use his death to have a go.

I think that people seem to think that I am defending people pissing on his grave, I'm not merely pointing out that it's hard to feel offended by this considering TB's own outbursts over the years.

Can you name many more women involved in gaming as prominent as Leigh Alexander?

:eek:

:(

I was going to have a rant about this but actually it's a pretty damning commentary on the entire industry, and the lack of recognition given to women working in it, that Leigh Alexander is considered one of the most prominent women in gaming.

FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"Get cancer" is such a massively cúnt-ish thing to say. Shows the emotional intelligence of a fly. All too common to hear now on mic in gaming these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Plenty of other examples of him saying similar things. But at least he held his hands up when called to, apologising, when called upon, is all well and good but it's easy to see why some people would use his death to have a go.

I think that people seem to think that I am defending people pissing on his grave, I'm not merely pointing out that it's hard to feel offended by this considering TB's own outbursts over the years.

What he said was scummy, but what's worse is he used the @ symbol to ensure it shows up in TB's feed. TB's account is run by his wife. It is the modern-day equivalent of sending a letter to a grieving widow gloating about her husband's death.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement