Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So Sexton...

• 12-05-2018 10:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭

undeniably the best irish outhalf ever? right?

3 6 nations, 4 european cups, plus the lions 10 for 2 undefeated series.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

irishfan9 wrote: »

the best Irish 10 I have ever seen = I thought we would have to wait 10 years or more for another BOD but Johnny is at that level - after this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

The fact he chose money over country and legged it to France, no matter how briefly, will always taint him in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

judeboy101 wrote: »
    The fact he chose money over country and legged it to France, no matter how briefly, will always taint him in my eyes.

Complete nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

dont think he ever chose playing for a french club over ireland and his 2 years in france resulted in 2 6 nations titles. so lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

He got low balled by the irfu and left. Not a mistake the irfu will make again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Wow..... I think this is the worst thing I've read on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Alas, the same fate as Paul "tainted" O'Connell.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

1htmzy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Jericho memes need to become a more frequent thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Kamu

He has been the best 10 we've ever had for a few years now I would have said, honestly think he has surpassed ROG a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Great 10 and a great tactical player.

The fact he passed kicking duties to Isa today only backs that up, not many 10s would have done that.

ISA...ISA...ISA..

Both are up there with BOD in the halls of legend IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

At every turn there's one more game that you just go wow.

It's been a pleasure to watch... Even more so when you see how he was thrust in to take over from Felipe in Croker.

I've started to re-evaluate recently if he's surpassed BOD... He's close...

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

judeboy101 wrote:

The fact that he wanted to have international club experience somehow taints his standing for you is a reflection of yourself rather than anyone else

no.8 wrote: »
    The fact that he wanted to have international club experience somehow taints his standing for you is a reflection of yourself rather than anyone else

no i believe the fact that he wouldnt accept the irfu underpaying him and left and still led ireland to 2 6 nations while based in paris says all you need to know.. came home to leinster as soon as he was fairly compensated.. as passionate a leinster man you will find.. but for some thats a black mark. he is more successful than rog and a better outhalf/rugby player.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭durthacht

Probably, but it's tough to compare across eras as most of us haven't seen the other great fly halves at their peak like Kyle, Gibson, Ward, and Campbell. He has to be one of the greatest for sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭jacothelad

durthacht wrote: »
    Probably, but it's tough to compare across eras as most of us haven't seen the other great fly halves at their peak like Kyle, Gibson, Ward, and Campbell. He has to be one of the greatest for sure though.

Yes. You would wonder how those guys would fare as full time professionals playing behind Leinster's or Ireland's current pack. I would hazard a guess that they would be spectacularly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Maybe, second behind that great cork and Munster man we all know and love ...

Ralph Keyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Think if he can mastermind Ireland to a medal at the world cup( winner, runner up or 3rd place) he'll be regarded as the best ever Irish player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I was and remain a huge O’Gara fan. Rated him as one of Ireland’s top sportsmen. I just didn’t want to admit that Sexton could be/was better than him. I don’t know why - it was the same with The Wire. I didn’t want to admit to myself that there was a better tv show than the Sopranos.

Following the display in 6N Paris it was very easy to come to the realisation that Sexton is a class above any other outhalf on the planet at the moment nevermind being Ireland’s best ever OH.

I do think he has developed into a world class player. When he was starting to play regularly at Leinster I wouldn’t have foreseen he would become the player he has. I think Schmidt has been an enormous influence on his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hilariously ROG v Sexton debates are stilled banned on this board. The debate ended a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Steve wrote: »
    The fact he passed kicking duties to Isa today only backs that up, not many 10s would have done that.

What was the reasoning behind that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

What was the reasoning behind that?

I've seen reference to a tweaked groin.

Curious that this has been a semi regular occurrence, Murray stepping in for him a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Ward and Campbell would have been superb pro's. Both were brilliant and a pleasure to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭cson

Never mind just OH, he's the best Irish rugby player of all time imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The time for honouring yourself will soon be at an end...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I can't put anyone ahead of bod just yet, maybe not as intelligent as Sexton is(although very intelligent, knew what he had to do for the team to win), he was heroic with his body playing alongside far inferior players including with the Lions. Did it for years,beat teams almost single handidly at his peak, latterly played as a cripple. Was the impetous to bring Ireland from absolute wooden spoon team to competing and occasionally beating the top 6. Sexton enjoys a much higher quality of teammate. He is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I think Sexton has hit the BOD/POC tier now of our best players of the professional era. It's just the three of them up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Murrays pretty close too!

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Murrays pretty close too!

needs to lead munster to a trophy or two.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

needs to lead munster to a trophy or two.

Utter rubbish. If he was playing in that Leinster team he'd be there. Being surrounded by great players like Sexton is is purely an accident of birth. If Sexton was born in Munster he would likely have a pretty bare trophy cabinet. It's a team sport, not an individual one. Sexton didn't win those trophies on his own.

Advertisement