Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Sexton...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

thebaz wrote: »
    in your opinion - I'd say it is relevant - he has a will to win more than most

Ian Madigan has 2 champions cup medals, 2 Pro12 medals.

Medals don't indicate how good a player is, just that they were part of a good team.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Ian Madigan has 2 champions cup medals, 2 Pro12 medals.

Medals don't indicate how good a player is, just that they were part of a good team.

What has ian madigan got to do with what i said - in fact what i said is that if johnny had played instead of madigan we might have reached a WC semi - medals arnt a complete barometer - but nealy all top players i know have won something , if they havnt , dont think they can be considered great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Surprised not to see David Humphrey's mentioned so far.

If you take all three playing at their best it'd be Sexton, Humphey's, ROG for me.

To describe why using the prism of Katy Perry song's, it's

Sexton - Roar
    Hump - I kissed a girl
    ROG - Hot n Cold

Humphreys better than O'Gara!!!
    O'Gara 'hot n cold'!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

What has ian madigan got to do with what i said - in fact what i said is that if johnny had played instead of madigan we might have reached a WC semi - medals arnt a complete barometer - but nealy all top players i know have won something , if they havnt , dont think they can be considered great.

BOD was fairly medal-less til 09...

Bears repeating I think

Most Points European Rugby

1 - Ronan O'Gara - Munster - 1365
    2 - Stephen Jones - Llanelli, Clermont, Scarlets - 869
    3 - Dimitri Yachvili - Biarritz - 661
    4 - Diego Domínguez - Milan, Stade Français - 645
    5 - David Humphreys - Ulster - 564
    6 - Neil Jenkins - Pontypridd, Cardiff, Celtic W. - 502
    7 - David Skrela - Colomiers, Stade Français, Toulouse, Clermont - 500
    8 - Dan Parks - Glasgow, Cardiff, Connacht - 479
    9 - Felipe Contepomi - Bristol, Leinster, Toulon - 441
    10 - Jean-Baptiste Élissalde - Toulouse

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »

bar a few triple crowns and celtic leagues - and a schools cup and i think an U20s WC - and I'm sure a few other things - and he won a fair bit after

Most Points International Rugby

1 - Dan Carter - New Zealand - 1598
    2 - Jonny Wilkinson - England/ Lions 1246 
    3 - Neil Jenkins Wales/ Lions - 1090
    4 - Ronan O'Gara - Ireland/ Lions - 1083
    5 - Diego Dominguez - Italy/ Argentina - 1010
    6 - Stephen Jones Wales/ Lions - 970
    7 - Andrew Mehrtens - New Zealand - 967
    8 - Michael Lynagh - Australia - 911
    9 - Percy Montgomery - South Africa - 893
    10 - Matt Burke - Australia - 878

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

bar a few triple crowns and celtic leagues - and a schools cup and i think an U20s WC - and I'm sure a few other things - and he won a fair bit after

While I was happy enough with them at the time, a triple crown isn't a "medal" in any way shape or form really.

He did win plenty afterwards. But a common argument against his credentials at the time were that he had not actually won anything. And the argument made no more sense then than it does now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Sergio Parisse only has 3 winners medals in his career, one of which was 12 years ago and another a challenge cup. He's considered one of the greats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

J Mysterio wrote: »

Interestingly, Sexton averages more points per game than O'Gara at international level (9.4 vs 8.5) while O'Gara averages more in the European Cup (9.9 vs 12.4), though the latter may come from having a more rounded game and Leinster also playing the ball among the backs more often

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Finally! For years I've been saying Stephen Jones was better than Michael Lynagh but no one believed me. Thanks for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

And it was used as a stick to beat him with regularly.

I don't think you can judge a player by their medals but it's absolutely an indication of their quality. Players aren't great because they were in a great team. The team is great because those players make up the team.

We can talk about guys like Madigan or whoever but he never started a HEC final. When you see someone who has started 4 finals and won all of them then it's generally a pretty good indication that the player in question is top quality.

Of course there will be outliers like Parisse but if a player has a rake of medals over their careers a starter, you can be almost certain they're top class and a key reason those medals were won.

I can’t keep up with the moving goal posts here. Points are good-points are bad, medals are good-medals are bad, player I’ve never seen play is better than a player I’ve seen play loads. My head hurts with the amount people will move the goal posts to suit their own agenda and arguments.

How on Earth can two leagues, five European trophies. Three 6 nations (one being a grandslam) and one win and one drawn Lions tour not indicate at some level that Sexton is the best fly half Ireland has ever produced. Irrespective of the many different teams he has played in, after all it is a team sport, how can they not be the metric we use to show how good he is ?

What metric do we use then ? You can’t use points purely because o’Gara Played in an era when really poor teams were allowed play in the H cup and routinely each season a decent cricket score was posted at least once if not twice in the group stage. I’m not saying O’Gara wasnt really really really good, he was, but Sexton as one of the main play makers has driven several completely different teams to the highest honours. He obviously hasn’t done this on his own but O’Gara gets the same metric, he got to play behind very good Munster and Ireland teams but Sexton has gone far further in less time and games.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

Bears repeating I think

1 - Ronan O'Gara - Munster - 13652-
    2 - Stephen Jones - Llanelli, Clermont, Scarlets - 8693
    3 - Dimitri Yachvili - Biarritz - 6614
    4 - Diego Domínguez - Milan, Stade Français - 6455
    5 - David Humphreys - Ulster - 5646
    6 - Neil Jenkins - Pontypridd, Cardiff, Celtic W. - 5027
    7 - David Skrela - Colomiers, Stade Français, Toulouse, Clermont - 5008
    8 - Dan Parks - Glasgow, Cardiff, Connacht - 4799
    9 - Felipe Contepomi - Bristol, Leinster, Toulon - 4410

That table looks wrong. No Sexton or Farrell?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I can’t keep up with the moving goal posts here. Points are good-points are bad, medals are good-medals are bad, player I’ve never seen play is better than a player I’ve seen play loads. My head hurts with the amount people will move the goal posts to suit their own agenda and arguments.

How on Earth can two leagues, five European trophies. Three 6 nations (one being a grandslam) and one win and one drawn Lions tour not indicate at some level that Sexton is the best fly half Ireland has ever produced. Irrespective of the many different teams he has played in, after all it is a team sport, how can they not be the metric we use to show how good he is ?

What metric do we use then ? You can’t use points purely because o’Gara Played in an era when really poor teams were allowed play in the H cup and routinely each season a decent cricket score was posted at least once if not twice in the group stage. I’m not saying O’Gara wasnt really really really good, he was, but Sexton as one of the main play makers has driven several completely different teams to the highest honours. He obviously hasn’t done this on his own but O’Gara gets the same metric, he got to play behind very good Munster and Ireland teams but Sexton has gone far further in less time and games.

It's almost as if there is no comprehensive, Excel-friendly means of determining who the best outhalf we've produced is. That can't be right, surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

Johnny is still no. 1 - Gibson was mainly centre - What Johnny Sexton has won is way more than Campbell or Ward - he is a more complete out-half than ROG , given his size and what he offers defensivly - My big fear is he will get injured before Japan , we will then realise how irreplaceble he is , even more so than Murray. I think if he had played fully fit at last WC we would have beaten Pumas.

no way would we have beaten them with sexton , they blew us away

Elvisjuice wrote: »

Either Sexton or Payne would have made a huge difference. People forget we had a kick to draw level well into the second half before capitulating late on. It was a one score game with 10 mins left.

Buer wrote: »
    Either Sexton or Payne would have made a huge difference. People forget we had a kick to draw level well into the second half before capitulating late on. It was a one score game with 10 mins left.

na we were like the walking dead , argies were the far better team on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Can't really compare era's but, I saw lots of players in the amateur era that would have been great pros.
    I say that because they stood out on the field and were clearly better than anyone else. JPR William's, Garrett Edward's, willie Duggan, moss Keane, slattery, rivers and plenty of others. Naas Botha was another. But for me, mike Gibson was the most talented Irish player I've seen.

That's me told.

• Advertisement

if Sexton was fit i believe we would - we were also missing 5 other senior players including captain - look where that great young Argentina team is today - with Sexton playing in the last 2 WC quaters I certainlty think we would have had a better chance of winning possibly both. Madigan is too erratic as a 10 , which showed up last WC - brilliant against France, and average at best against Pumas.

Buer wrote: »
    That's me told.

big time

if Sexton was fit i believe we would - we were also missing 5 other senior players including captain - look where that great young Argentina team is today - with Sexton playing in the last 2 WC quaters I certainlty think we would have had a better chance of winning possibly both. Madigan is too erratic as a 10 , which showed up last WC - brilliant against France, and average at best against Pumas.

yep missing 5 other players is the main point of why we lost , we were never going to win that with so many key players missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

yep missing 5 other players is the main point of why we lost , we were never going to win that with so many key players missing.

Yeah agree with this. It wasn't just Sexton, it was Payne, POC, SOB and POM too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

judeboy101 wrote:
    The fact he chose money over country and legged it to France, no matter how briefly, will always taint him in my eyes.

Troll obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Sexton and Kearney seem to have the same almost coach like leadership. I heard someone describe Sexton as like having Schmidt on the field with you. He just seems to drive standards, boss people, make good decisions and take responsibility. Now ROG could tactically kick better I think, but Sexton can work a back line more. Ireland and Leinster use much more intricate back manoeuvres than other teams because of it.

Where he excels over ROG is in defense. Over the last few years Sexton has ruined his body tackling like a demon, and winning turnovers through choke tackles etc. 2017 6 nations, he didn't miss a kick or a tackle.

The last thing I'd ask if people can remember Sexy ever having a proper melt in a game? Scarlets last year maybe he had a stinker. I think other players have had bigger career meltdowns though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Our midfield defence was All over the shop in the first 10 or 15 minutes. Having Sexton or Payne would have made a massive difference

players were spent from chasing for an hour before argies pulled away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Until Sexton came along. Mid way through the first half in Croker. ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Until Sexton came along. Mid way through the first half in Croker. ;)
    Just to be pedantic, BOD had won a Grand Slam by then

*hides*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Bears repeating I think

1 - Ronan O'Gara - Munster - 13652-
    2 - Stephen Jones - Llanelli, Clermont, Scarlets - 8693
    3 - Dimitri Yachvili - Biarritz - 6614
    4 - Diego Domínguez - Milan, Stade Français - 6455
    5 - David Humphreys - Ulster - 5646
    6 - Neil Jenkins - Pontypridd, Cardiff, Celtic W. - 5027
    7 - David Skrela - Colomiers, Stade Français, Toulouse, Clermont - 5008
    8 - Dan Parks - Glasgow, Cardiff, Connacht - 4799
    9 - Felipe Contepomi - Bristol, Leinster, Toulon - 4410

Well that decides it! At approximately 136 points per match ROG is by far the best ever!

Advertisement