Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So Sexton...

• 12-05-2018 10:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

undeniably the best irish outhalf ever? right?

3 6 nations, 4 european cups, plus the lions 10 for 2 undefeated series.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

irishfan9 wrote: »

the best Irish 10 I have ever seen = I thought we would have to wait 10 years or more for another BOD but Johnny is at that level - after this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

The fact he chose money over country and legged it to France, no matter how briefly, will always taint him in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

judeboy101 wrote: »
    The fact he chose money over country and legged it to France, no matter how briefly, will always taint him in my eyes.

Complete nonsense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

dont think he ever chose playing for a french club over ireland and his 2 years in france resulted in 2 6 nations titles. so lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

He got low balled by the irfu and left. Not a mistake the irfu will make again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Wow..... I think this is the worst thing I've read on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Alas, the same fate as Paul "tainted" O'Connell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

1htmzy.jpg

Jericho memes need to become a more frequent thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Kamu

He has been the best 10 we've ever had for a few years now I would have said, honestly think he has surpassed ROG a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Great 10 and a great tactical player.

The fact he passed kicking duties to Isa today only backs that up, not many 10s would have done that.

ISA...ISA...ISA..

Both are up there with BOD in the halls of legend IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

At every turn there's one more game that you just go wow.

It's been a pleasure to watch... Even more so when you see how he was thrust in to take over from Felipe in Croker.

I've started to re-evaluate recently if he's surpassed BOD... He's close...

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

judeboy101 wrote:

The fact that he wanted to have international club experience somehow taints his standing for you is a reflection of yourself rather than anyone else

no.8 wrote: »
    The fact that he wanted to have international club experience somehow taints his standing for you is a reflection of yourself rather than anyone else

no i believe the fact that he wouldnt accept the irfu underpaying him and left and still led ireland to 2 6 nations while based in paris says all you need to know.. came home to leinster as soon as he was fairly compensated.. as passionate a leinster man you will find.. but for some thats a black mark. he is more successful than rog and a better outhalf/rugby player.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭durthacht

Probably, but it's tough to compare across eras as most of us haven't seen the other great fly halves at their peak like Kyle, Gibson, Ward, and Campbell. He has to be one of the greatest for sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

durthacht wrote: »
    Probably, but it's tough to compare across eras as most of us haven't seen the other great fly halves at their peak like Kyle, Gibson, Ward, and Campbell. He has to be one of the greatest for sure though.

Yes. You would wonder how those guys would fare as full time professionals playing behind Leinster's or Ireland's current pack. I would hazard a guess that they would be spectacularly good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Maybe, second behind that great cork and Munster man we all know and love ...

Ralph Keyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Think if he can mastermind Ireland to a medal at the world cup( winner, runner up or 3rd place) he'll be regarded as the best ever Irish player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I was and remain a huge O’Gara fan. Rated him as one of Ireland’s top sportsmen. I just didn’t want to admit that Sexton could be/was better than him. I don’t know why - it was the same with The Wire. I didn’t want to admit to myself that there was a better tv show than the Sopranos.

Following the display in 6N Paris it was very easy to come to the realisation that Sexton is a class above any other outhalf on the planet at the moment nevermind being Ireland’s best ever OH.

I do think he has developed into a world class player. When he was starting to play regularly at Leinster I wouldn’t have foreseen he would become the player he has. I think Schmidt has been an enormous influence on his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hilariously ROG v Sexton debates are stilled banned on this board. The debate ended a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Steve wrote: »
    The fact he passed kicking duties to Isa today only backs that up, not many 10s would have done that.

What was the reasoning behind that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I've seen reference to a tweaked groin.

Curious that this has been a semi regular occurrence, Murray stepping in for him a few times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,612 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Ward and Campbell would have been superb pro's. Both were brilliant and a pleasure to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

Never mind just OH, he's the best Irish rugby player of all time imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The time for honouring yourself will soon be at an end...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I can't put anyone ahead of bod just yet, maybe not as intelligent as Sexton is(although very intelligent, knew what he had to do for the team to win), he was heroic with his body playing alongside far inferior players including with the Lions. Did it for years,beat teams almost single handidly at his peak, latterly played as a cripple. Was the impetous to bring Ireland from absolute wooden spoon team to competing and occasionally beating the top 6. Sexton enjoys a much higher quality of teammate. He is fantastic.

I think Sexton has hit the BOD/POC tier now of our best players of the professional era. It's just the three of them up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,612 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Murrays pretty close too!

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Murrays pretty close too!

needs to lead munster to a trophy or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Utter rubbish. If he was playing in that Leinster team he'd be there. Being surrounded by great players like Sexton is is purely an accident of birth. If Sexton was born in Munster he would likely have a pretty bare trophy cabinet. It's a team sport, not an individual one. Sexton didn't win those trophies on his own.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Zzippy wrote: »

Utter rubbish. If he was playing in that Leinster team he'd be there. Being surrounded by great players like Sexton is is purely an accident of birth. If Sexton was born in Munster he would likely have a pretty bare trophy cabinet. It's a team sport, not an individual one. Sexton didn't win those trophies on his own.

2011 Heineken Cup final has called..

Sexton literally won that game all by himself.

A t-shirt with "Leinster by accident of birth" doesn't quite have the same ring to it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Faugheen wrote: »

Did he go out himself against the 15 Northampton boys he did? Some going!!

Munster biggest problem has been a lack of top class 10. Leinster have won 4 European cups with 9s who wouldn't be considered top class. If sexton played at 10 for Munster v Racing I think they win that game.

A top class 10 is more important then a top class 9 IMO.

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »

Did he go out himself against the 15 Northampton boys he did? Some going!!

Well considering he scored more points than Northampton...

You can be as smart as you want but you'll still look foolish.

Literally? Some man for one man. Did he win all the scrums too?

Literally? Some man for one man. Did he win all the scrums too?

Yes. He was at LH. Isa was at TH. But Isa was rubbish in first half so they swapped. :)

Some right smart holes here haven't we?

Leinster don't win that game without Sexton. How does that sound?

That's more accurate, literally. And less of the personal abuse, thanks.

• Advertisement

That's more accurate, literally. And less of the personal abuse, thanks.

You knew exactly what I was trying to say in that post but you decided to poke a little bit for a reaction anyway. Don't be surprised if you get one.

Aye I'm fierce embarrassed alright.

Considering the original point made was about the need for a great team and how one player alone won't win anything, you might go off and examine the Leinster 2011 squad and come back and tell us if Murray has ever been fortunate enough to have such calibre around him. Otherwise your attempted rebuttal of the original point is irrelevant.

ClanofLams wrote: »

Aye I'm fierce embarrassed alright.

Considering the original point made was about the need for a great team and how one player alone won't win anything, you might go off and examine the Leinster 2011 squad and come back and tell us if Murray has ever been fortunate enough to have such calibre around him. Otherwise your attempted rebuttal of the original point is irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant at all.

Fact of the matter is, if Sexton wasn't playing then Leinster, with a team containing O'Driscoll, Nacewa, Hines, O'Brien, Heaslip, D'Arcy and a whole host of internationals, would not have won that game, never mind from 22-6 down at half time.

28 of Leinster's 33 points were scored by Sexton that day. That Leinster side for all the quality that it had still needed Sexton and his performance was the winning of the game.

So yes, Sexton did win that game for Leinster. To suggest otherwise is a nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Think when we talk about ‘world class’ player must have delivered for lions on world stage
    Hold your hand up JS

It's not irrelevant at all.

Fact of the matter is, if Sexton wasn't playing then Leinster, with a team containing O'Driscoll, Nacewa, Hines, O'Brien, Heaslip, D'Arcy and a whole host of internationals, would not have won that game, never mind from 22-6 down at half time.

28 of Leinster's 33 points were scored by Sexton that day. That Leinster side for all the quality that it had still needed Sexton and his performance was the winning of the game.

So yes, Sexton did win that game for Leinster. To suggest otherwise is a nonsense.

It's entirely irrelevant. The point was that great players don't win trophies on their own. If they did Jonny Wilkinson would have led Newcastle Falcons to a European cup.

Sexton was the best player on the park in that final but that has nothing to do with the point you were attempting to rebut.

This is not a diss on Sexton, world class player that Leinster and Ireland have been fortunate to have.

Look at European finals in last 12 years

Sexton x 4
    Farrell x 2
    Wilkinson x3
    RoG x2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

uberwolf wrote: »
    I've seen reference to a tweaked groin.

Curious that this has been a semi regular occurrence, Murray stepping in for him a few times

Yeah, I heard he tweaked his groin (which unfortunately seems to be a recurring problem for him) so made the right call there.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

This place is worse than being in court.

"Sexton was crucial in the 2011 final for the Leinster win." Not that controversial a statement.

"Sexton literally won that game all by himself." Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Munster biggest problem has been a lack of top class 10. Leinster have won 4 European cups with 9s who wouldn't be considered top class. If sexton played at 10 for Munster v Racing I think they win that game.

A top class 10 is more important then a top class 9 IMO.
    I think the top class 10 thing isn't Munster's biggest problem. You can get by without a world class player provided the right structures are in place. And that's where Munster fall down. They've no actual attacking pattern. We've seen Leinster have great success breaking the gain line then using pull back dummy passes to get the ball wide quickly. They make great yards through the middle and out wide.

Munster don't do that. In fact I'm not sure what they're actually trying to achieve in attack. They've some supremely talented outside backs and seem to be putting all the impetus on them to create something from nothing. And let's face it. Despite having some very good players their pack is nothing special. They don't have the level of quality to beat the big boys.

This place is worse than being in court.

"Sexton was crucial in the 2011 final for the Leinster win." Not that controversial a statement.

"Sexton literally won that game all by himself." Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war.

Another one missing the point. No one is disputing Sexton is a great player. One person asserted Conor Murrary wasn't in that league because he hadn't achieved success with Munster. Completely missing the point that rugby is a team game and that without his Leinster teammates Sexton wouldn't have achieved that success*. Someone else missed the point altogether and took grave offence to it, as if it was a slight on Sexton.

Some very touchy people around here tonight.

*and also conveniently ignoring the success Murray has enjoyed with Ireland and the Lions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement