Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple pulls out of data center in Athenry due to fcuked up planning and gob****es

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Geuze wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0510/961458-apple/

2015 Feb = initial announcement
    2015 Sep = Galway Co. Co. grants PP with conditions

appealed to ABP

2016 May - oral hearings
    2016 Aug - ABP grants permission

After this, it moves from the planning system into the legal system:

Three opponents to the plan – Allan Daly, Sinead Fitzpatrick and Brian McDonagh - bring a court challenge on the basis that An Bord Pleanála failed to carry out a proper Environmental Impact Assessment of the proposed development.

2017 Oct - the High Court supports the ABP decision
    More importantly:
    RTE wrote:
    July 2017 – The company announces that it will spend more than €800m on a second data centre in Denmark.

The first facility at Vibrog - which was announced at the same time as the Athenry site - is nearing completion.

Before Athenry got PP, Denmark had 1 nearly done and #2 on the way. So Athenry could've been followed by Location #2 which we'll never know about.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

lmimmfn wrote: »
    It wasnt planned for Dublin so was always going to fail, we apparently want everything in Dublin even though we cant house people there, but still lets have everything in Dublin.
    Complete and utter bull****.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Dublin, other than the areas where datacentres were planned and built in Dublin, don't have anti-development fruitcakes waiting to object.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Tell that to the 100's of thousands of people they employ both directly and indirectly or all the people in school or university hoping to get good jobs of which most are in MNCs.

You haven't a clue.

Oh i have a clue. These jobs are at the expense of our European friends because our quasi-offshore tax haven status is allowed through gritted teeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Oh i have a clue. These jobs are at the expense of our European friends because our quasi-offshore tax haven status is allowed through gritted teeth

Oh, thanks our European massa’s for “allowing” us use the same tax rules we’ve used for decades. Me boll1x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Apple got the site very cheap

It's a rural area beside a small town with a rich medieval heritage
    The building would basically have been a giant box

I don't think it should have been granted permission

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Apple got the site very cheap

It's a rural area beside a small town with a rich medieval heritage
    The building would basically have been a giant box

I don't think it should have been granted permission

You do realize it wouldn’t have been in the medieval town yeah?the proposed site was roughly half way between Athenry and oranmore in the middle of a good for nothing swamp?doesnt matter now anyway.apple weren’t long getting sick of listening to the paddywhackers.ye can keep yer swamp paddywhackers.well done

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Fann Linn wrote: »
    What was so specific to Athenry that perhaps couldn't be afforded to Cork, Dublin, Limerick or even Galway City itself where there are plenty of industrial zoned spaces?

It's pretty simple. There's no more electrical transmission network capacity in Dublin and little to none in Cork. This was a site with two sets of 220kV powerlines nearby so would be able to provide hundreds of Megawatts of power without having to build significant new overhead lines. Building new lines into cities (or anywhere near people) is probably an impossible task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

It wasnt planned for Dublin so was always going to fail, we apparently want everything in Dublin even though we cant house people there, but still lets have everything in Dublin.

Apple aren't based in Dublin. Their European HQ is in Cork and employs over 6000 people there.

Last time I checked, Cork isn't Dublin.

They should probably have just built the data centre closer to home in Cork City and it would likely have gone ahead without fuss as the city / sorrounds has plenty of history supporting far, far bigger industrial projects than this.

Unfortunately, this is probably going to put a lot investment off going west as there's an established history of this kind of objection.

I mean even look at Galway City. There's no ring road and totally inadequate infrastructure, largely due to a series of endless objections rather than any lack of availability of funds or any unwillingness of national governments to invest over the years.

If you've endless objections to absolutely all development, you can't really expect to see serious investment.

schmittel wrote: »
    Brian Mc Donagh from Wicklow on his love of forests:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7MptWbXAsU

What a ball bag.destroy a forest?its a coillte plantation that will be harvested anyway you ignoramus.hes probably sitting on a timber desk while spouting that horse sh1te.and as for his big idea.what a boll1x.he hadn’t even the brains to film his video out of the glaring sunlight of what appears to be a conservatory.a typical gombeen paddywhacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I wonder now what those 3 gob****es are going to Do? The most hated people in the West I'd imagine.
    I'm from Loughrea and even there people were saying that the investment would be massively needed.
    Regardless the amount of jobs it would provide they are still jobs.
    The fact that any joe soap can appeal anything they want is the biggest load of bollocks this country has when it comes to anything infrastructure.
    You just need to look at an taisces record of appealing literally anything over 3 storeys.
    Also appealing is free, change that and make it a payable service.
    250e min fee per appeal per person. You'd see a lot of appeals stop if it started to cost people money and not the planners.
    An taisce also should be banned from appealing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Geuze wrote: »
    Three opponents to the plan – Allan Daly, Sinead Fitzpatrick and Brian McDonagh - bring a court challenge on the basis that An Bord Pleanála failed to carry out a proper Environmental Impact Assessment of the proposed development.

Let's not forget their objection wasn't that apple didn't do an EIS on the proposed development, it was that apple didn't do an EIS on a possible future development. One that they had only mentioned, that didn't have plans not was planning permission being sought. How did the appeal go so far I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I've a local Athenry contact and he says a gang are going down to Wicklow to McDonaghs house over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

This nonsense about only a few datacentre jobs
    • This might be a huge shock but datacentres are updated continuously. 
    • It does not account for the 5-10 times direct staff of people employed in support services (air con contractors etc)
    • It does not account for building the country as a default hub
    • Finally and very importantly as taxation become attached to operations and the ending of boilerplate firms for tax purposes... the increase of Apple Operations in Ireland (many thousands) and Services (from Data Centres) increasingly demonstrates that that value is indeed being created in Ireland.
    This is a massive blow to Ireland and people need to be held accountable and fast track planning at a national level demonstrated.

• It does not account for the 5-10 times direct staff of people employed in support services (air con contractors etc)
    • Finally and very importantly as taxation become attached to operations and the ending of boilerplate firms for tax purposes... the increase of Apple Operations in Ireland (many thousands) and Services (from Data Centres) increasingly demonstrates that that value is indeed being created in Ireland.
    This is a massive blow to Ireland and people need to be held accountable and fast track planning at a national level demonstrated.

I've a local Athenry contact and he says a gang are going down to Wicklow to McDonaghs house over the weekend.

Mcdonagh didn’t just want a slice of the apple pie.he wanted the whole thing,the tin it was baked in and the bakery that cooked it.and now he has nothing but he fukd it all up for everyone else.a good for nothing greedy paddywhacker.
    As for his love of forests he probably wouldn’t know a spruce tree from a dock leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,585 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

micosoft wrote: »

Wow. We have gone out through the collar with the hyperbole.

It is probably a blow to Athenry, how much of a blow, God knows. The screams seem to range from it would have made the town the next Silicon Valley to shure those things only employ 2 and a half people.

What we certainly don't do is go back to "fast track planning at a national level", unless people have turned into complete gold fish, we tried that not so long ago, it was a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It was objected to by two locals and a guy from Wicklow, somehow blaming Dublin is pathetic. The IDA did their bit so in effect the state did its bit for the area but 2 locals and a guy from elsewhere stopped this happening and the IDA are going to have serious trouble selling Athenry as a destination because when future investors look at the area this is the first thing they will find and they will likely say F that and look elsewhere. This is a mess of a situation but it’s nothing to do with Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Way to overreact..

What about the 2 locals that drove the last appeal ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

knipex wrote: »
    Way to overreact..

What about the 2 locals that drove the last appeal ???

They are being "looked after".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,585 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

The local objectors should be told what the people of Athenry and, indeed Galway think of them for their selfish attitude.
    They should also be asked who funded this affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭bloopy

Boggles wrote: »
    Wow. We have gone out through the collar with the hyperbole.

It is probably a blow to Athenry, how much of a blow, God knows. The screams seem to range from it would have made the town the next Silicon Valley to shure those things only employ 2 and a half people.

What we certainly don't do is go back to "fast track planning at a national level", unless people have turned into complete gold fish, we tried that not so long ago, it was a disaster.

The jobs involved would be about 20 full time (majority security) and 10-15 part time (Weekly or bi weekly inspections).

bloopy wrote: »
    The jobs involved would be about 20 full time (majority security) and 10-15 part time (Weekly or bi weekly inspections).

That’s not even close data centers are manned 24/7 by technicians not dropping by once or twice a week but always in the building plus cleaners, electrical mechanical and controls engineers. Then it needs people to install the racks and maintain them. This was to be a large data centre so would easily have had over 100 people working in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

salmocab wrote: »
    the IDA are going to have serious trouble selling Athenry anywhere west of the Shannon as a destination because when future investors look at the area this is the first thing they will find and they will likely say F that and look elsewhere. This is a mess of a situation but it’s nothing to do with Dublin.

fyp :(

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I do wonder how many of the people here commenting on the staffing levels and inner workings of large scale data centers have actually ever been in one

wexie wrote: »
    I do wonder how many of the people here commenting on the staffing levels and inner workings of large scale data centers have actually ever been in one

I work in a big one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

salmocab wrote: »
    I work in a big one

Haha, I gathered you'd at least been in one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭yrreg0850

Does the word "Boycott" come to mind.

• Advertisement

wexie wrote: »
    Haha, I gathered you'd at least been in one :D

Been in a few, they range from small buildings in an industrial estate with one tech and one security up to large campasses with a couple of hundred staff. This Apple one was at the upper end from what I understand.
    Even local takeaways do well out of these as night shift workers like to eat hot and generally can’t leave once their shift starts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement