Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Rhubarb cake.
    I used my favourite apple cake recipe and used rhubarb instead of apple.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zb4pbcs5sfpuve/IMG_20180505_194311205.jpg?dl=0

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Cinnamon rolls!! No explanation needed - just a load of cinnamony deliciousness
    Got in from the gym, ravenous, and totally forgot these were sitting there waiting for icing. Then I opened the door and the whole apartment smelled of cinnamon and I had to taste one or two while I cooked my dinner. Now can’t eat dinner but it’s totally worth it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Mmmm RacoonQueen they look amazing! This thread always makes me want to go straight to the kitchen and just start baking or else go through all my baking books and pick out something to make!

If you do not have many people to share them with, my advice is not to make them. I have eaten 5 :pac: I would throw them in the bin to save me from myself but ohmygod so tasty. Now I remember the reason why I never made them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

MAde walnut cake. Mmmm, tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Cinnamon rolls!! No explanation needed - just a load of cinnamony deliciousness
    Got in from the gym, ravenous, and totally forgot these were sitting there waiting for icing. Then I opened the door and the whole apartment smelled of cinnamon and I had to taste one or two while I cooked my dinner. Now can’t eat dinner but it’s totally worth it :pac:

I've been thinking about these since you posted , so made them today. They were very nice, rose well and good cinnamon flavour, but I think I over baked them slightly and next time I will add a bit more butter. Thanks gor the idea .
    My kids hate them, so (un)fortunately I will have to eat them all myself!

I was feeling sorry for myself because I had to work the whole bank holiday so decided to make something summery tasting and gave those Louise slices a go!

They turned out pretty good but the base was a lot softer than I expected because the recipe I used described it as shortbread but it turned out more spongey. Not sure if I did something wrong or if it's meant to be like that because I've never actually eaten one before!

Jane has other 'rolls' on her website too...when I was reading her cinammon rolls one she mentioned her lemon and blueberry ones. So went searching and found her chocolate ones, now she's filling me with all sorts of yummy ideas :D Not a fan of blueberry in things myself so trying to figure out if lemon on its own with sweet bread would go down well.

http://www.janespatisserie.com/2015/05/21/sticky-chocolate-sweet-rolls/
    http://www.janespatisserie.com/2015/05/05/lemon-and-blueberry-sweet-rolls/

Jane has other 'rolls' on her website too...when I was reading her cinammon rolls one she mentioned her lemon and blueberry ones. So went searching and found her chocolate ones, now she's filling me with all sorts of yummy ideas :D Not a fan of blueberry in things myself so trying to figure out if lemon on its own with sweet bread would go down well.

http://www.janespatisserie.com/2015/05/21/sticky-chocolate-sweet-rolls/
    http://www.janespatisserie.com/2015/05/05/lemon-and-blueberry-sweet-rolls/

I don't see why not, lemon is excellent on its own. I wonder could you use lemon curd as the filling? I'm planning some lemon-curd based bakes this weekend :D

Yesterday I threw together some peanut butter bars. Really not a fan of peanut butter, can be 'ok' in things...but, hard for me to know if they're nice or not since I don't like it :pac: Bought a load of peanut butter recently though as I wanted to do these and my peanut butter cupcakes.
    Base of these took longer to 'set' than I would have thought it would...maybe too much peanut butter or too much butter. Think they'd be nicer if they were more solid like a cheesecake base.
    I had some salted peanuts in the press I bought for trying to nail a peanut cookie recipe (haven't got back to them) so threw a load of them on top and then chocolate mixed with peanut butter for the topping and melted down some more pb to marble over the top.
    They're 'ok' and I suppose relatively healthy since I didn't actually add sugar, used dark choc and all my pb's are no added sugar. Maybe they'd be better with a bit more sugar :pac:

edit: btw the posh peanut butter from aldi is a very light colour. What's with that? If I recall when I made my own, its colour was similar to the standard peanut butter colour we see.

• Advertisement

I don't see why not, lemon is excellent on its own. I wonder could you use lemon curd as the filling? I'm planning some lemon-curd based bakes this weekend :D

OH MY GOD LEMON CURD AS FILLING. You. Are. A. Genius.

I have lemon curd in the fridge I made a couple of months ago and really should use up or throw out.

I've been threatening to use the lemon curd in lemon cupcakes for ages, but haven't got round to it. I barely make cupcakes anymore because I still have it in my head that they take ages because I always made character ones with 3/4 different colours of icing to make the character. But one flavour/colour are so quick and easy.

I have lemon curd in the fridge I made a couple of months ago and really should use up or throw out.

I've been threatening to use the lemon curd in lemon cupcakes for ages, but haven't got round to it. I barely make cupcakes anymore because I still have it in my head that they take ages because I always made character ones with 3/4 different colours of icing to make the character. But one flavour/colour are so quick and easy.
    Happy to help, I'm an advocate for lemon curd in pretty much anything :P Peanut butter bars look unreal btw, I love anything PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Yesterday I threw together some peanut butter bars. Really not a fan of peanut butter, can be 'ok' in things...but, hard for me to know if they're nice or not since I don't like it :pac:

Oh peanut butter is BAE! I would be happy to test them for you :D DO you have the recipe at all? They look fab anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Had some friends over for bbq at the weekend, one is the sous pastry chef in a 5 star dublin hotel and brought dessert.... /drool. Lemon angel cake and chocolate cookies with a peanut butter gooey centre. And I didn’t get a single feckin picture aaaargh! Angel cake is something I’ve never had before or even heard of before and it was unreeeeeal. Apparently it’s a well known American family-style dessert but you can’t get the right type of flour here to make it properly. The lightest thing I’ve ever tasted. Nearly like a mix between a sponge and a mousse if you can imagine? I’ll be thinking about it for weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I see lots if the American cinamon rolls recipes have cream cheese icing as the drizzle ( I just used icing sugar, butter and water) , but cream cheese icing would go well with the lemon curd .

Angel cake is mostly egg whites isn't it? I've considered making it before but you need a tonne of eggs.

Peanut butter bars/slices

Base
    200g digestives
    70g melted unsalted butter
    100g peanut butter (I used a combination of crunchy and creamy to use up end of two jars)

Top layer
    200g dark chocolate
    70g peanut butter

Break up the biscuits and then mix together with the butter and pb. I threw them all into food processor and spread into a greased and lined pan. I then put in a few handfuls of salted peanuts over the base. Suppose you could put any sort of peanuts there but thought salty would go well.

Melt chocolate and about half the peanut butter together (gives you a nice soft top that is easy to cut through) and pour and spread over the base. Melt the other half of the peanut butter and marble through the chocolate mixture.

Whack in the fridge until set. Remove. Cut. Eat. Enjoy. :)
    I see lots if the American cinamon rolls recipes have cream cheese icing as the drizzle ( I just used icing sugar, butter and water) , but cream cheese icing would go well with the lemon curd .

I was thinking of making my icing as cream cheese icing alright as I've a tonne of it in the fridge. Reckon it would be lovely on the cinnamon rolls too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Angel cake is mostly egg whites isn't it? I've considered making it before but you need a tonne of eggs.

Yeah 12 egg whites and only 300-400g sugar and flour. Not sure if there’s butter or just magic in it but it tasted amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Yeah 12 egg whites and only 300-400g sugar and flour. Not sure if there’s butter or just magic in it but it tasted amazing.

The bottle of egg whites is 15 eggs worth I believe so you could use that

Fairly sure they made it on GBBO at some point but can't find vid on youtube. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Fairly sure they made it on GBBO at some point but can't find vid on youtube. :(

It was back in 2013, one of the contestants used salt instead of sugar:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

If you like peanut butter these are yum! I’ve used the ALDI/lidl special k equivalent 😊

http://www.donalskehan.com/recipes/peanut-butter-snicker-squares/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Thanks for all the peanut butter recipes guys - will have fun trying them, though I feel I have already put on about 6kg on weight just by reading them! :pac:

My wife and I made this practice cake today for our daughter's birthday at the end of the month. It's a Victoria sandwich so simple enough.

Looks good (to us!) but it's our trip into icing cakes - would anyone have any recommendations for matching the icing at the edges? And would a buttercream layer under the icing be a good idea?

20180509_204928_600x800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The bottle of egg whites is 15 eggs worth I believe so you could use that
    the egg whites can cost a fair bit more than the eggs. I never used them but also wonder if the bottles taste differently.

If trying to separate a lot of eggs I would do it in lots of stages, like do 2 egg whites in a cup and put into a bigger bowl. And keep repeating, rather than potentially mess up on the last egg and get egg yolk in the 10 egg whites.

Dónal wrote: »
    My wife and I made this practice cake today for our daughter's birthday at the end of the month. It's a Victoria sandwich so simple enough.

Looks good (to us!) but it's our trip into icing cakes - would anyone have any recommendations for matching the icing at the edges? And would a buttercream layer under the icing be a good idea?

Looks great, especially for first attempt! Definitely put a layer of buttercream underneath. Will help smooth it out.

I'd bring the brown down a bit further, the shirt up and then use the tie to cover where they meet.

Looks great, especially for first attempt! Definitely put a layer of buttercream underneath. Will help smooth it out.

I'd bring the brown down a bit further, the shirt up and then use the tie to cover where they meet.

Thanks! For the icing on icing then, would I add another smidge of buttercream to help it stay in place?

Dónal wrote: »
    Thanks! For the icing on icing then, would I add another smidge of buttercream to help it stay in place?

Best way to stick fondant to fondant imo is to use a dab of water on the underside of the piece you're sticking. This 'melts' the sugar a bit and when it dries they'll be fused together. Just don't use too much as you don't want the water to seep/spread out when you stick it down as it'll leave a mark on the surrounding fondant when it dries. Literally just a brush of water to make it slightly sticky!

You can also buy special sugar glue for fondant work but I shouldn't think you'll need it for a mostly flat design.

Your cake looks good for a first go with fondant! I'd recommend 'smoothing' the edges of the fondant pieces when you cut them out; just run your finger along the edge and press it down slightly so there aren't as much sharp lines, it helps make the finished cake look a lot neater :)

Yep just use a small bit of water, you can make your own 'glue' with fondant and water too
    https://rosebakes.com/make-fondant-sugar-glue/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Yep, I made Flopjacks.:( They were meant to be Flapjacks. Tasted great though! I used HRH Mary Berry's recipe but used my own gluten free oats. Always the optimist I expected immediate success but was sadly disappointed. Has anyone got a proper stick-together recipe for Gluten Free Flapjacks please? Gluten free or not, oats is oats, isn't they?

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Yep, I made Flopjacks.:( They were meant to be Flapjacks. Tasted great though! I used HRH Mary Berry's recipe but used my own gluten free oats. Always the optimist I expected immediate success but was sadly disappointed. Has anyone got a proper stick-together recipe for Gluten Free Flapjacks please? Gluten free or not, oats is oats, isn't they?

That's strange, I wouldn't have thought it'd make any difference using gluten free oats because the oats themselves don't contain gluten?

Advertisement