Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

That's strange, I wouldn't have thought it'd make any difference using gluten free oats because the oats themselves don't contain gluten?

I agree, that's the reason for my optimism! I only mentioned it because I have to use them and its the only change I made to the recipe. Maybe I should have a few words with HRH Mary Berry! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My tip with flapjacks is to use a flat bottomed glass to pound them down flat into the tin. I don't know if Mary Berry mentions this but the Odlums lady does :)

Anyone have a good recipe for a rhubarb cake?

Rhubarb was on offer in lidl so I picked some up with the intention of making cake :P I put it in the freezer for now though as I probably won't get around to making it until next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That's strange, I wouldn't have thought it'd make any difference using gluten free oats because the oats themselves don't contain gluten?
    Yep, should be zero difference. Gluten free flour would be a different matter. Oats should inherently be gluten free, the only difference is that they are monitored to make sure even the slightest stray "other grain" did not get into the mix in the fields or factory.
    My tip with flapjacks is to use a flat bottomed glass to pound them down flat into the tin. I don't know if Mary Berry mentions this but the Odlums lady does :)
    oldums lady= Catherine Leyden

usually on TV3 in the morning ireland am show. She is great!, love the eye rolling as the total non cook/baker Alan has some ridiculous comment about what she is doing. Proper no nonsense old school stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

Dónal wrote: »
    Thanks! For the icing on icing then, would I add another smidge of buttercream to help it stay in place?

Looks great!

When putting the buttercream on the cake put a thin layer and chill. Then apply another thicker layer and chill again. It just means that when you apply the fondant layer you’ll be able to move it around without getting it covered in buttercream and it will give a smoother finish to the fondant layer.

I wouldn’t use water to stick icing to icing, it dissolves the sugar. If you use a clear alcohol like vodka or Bacardi. The alcohol will evaporate but stick the fondant together.

I’d use another piece of fondant to cover over the join, so first cover the head and body and join as close as possible. The put the tie over the two joins if that makes sense.

When rolling out fondant try and handle as little as possible to stop it drying out. I put a shake/sprinkling of corn flour on the counter top before rolling out, this is better then icing sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Made lemon drizzle traybake and banana loaf (first time and it turned out lovely!) for work today - everyone is delighted, espeically seeing as it's pouring outside :(

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

Anyone have a good recipe for a rhubarb cake?

Rhubarb was on offer in lidl so I picked some up with the intention of making cake :P I put it in the freezer for now though as I probably won't get around to making it until next weekend.

I can't remember who found this originally but this is a big hit whenever it gets made to use up the parents overgrown rhubarb plants!

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10500/rhubarb-and-custard-cake

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    I can't remember who found this originally but this is a big hit whenever it gets made to use up the parents overgrown rhubarb plants!

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10500/rhubarb-and-custard-cake

I've been trying to remember the one I made before and that's it - it's lovely :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101030767&postcount=104

Thanks guys! I've just had the idea of making a rhubarb tarte tatin as well so might need to buy more rhubarb :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The peanut butter slices/bars actually ended up quite good :p When I initially tried them the base was still quite soft...once it hardened up from being in the fridge longer they took on a life of their own. The hint of saltyness of the peanuts added in with the dark choc and peanut was amazing. :)
    Thinking they're healthy enough...only real 'bad' thing in them being the digestives, so wondering how I could make them healthier now as they turned into a good post training snack this week. Make the base out of oats, butter and peanut butter perhaps...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thinking they're healthy enough...only real 'bad' thing in them being the digestives, so wondering how I could make them healthier now as they turned into a good post training snack this week. Make the base out of oats, butter and peanut butter perhaps...

Maybe oats would work but I think you'd need to toast them first, I think. Twould probably need some sweetening too - maybe honey?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The peanut butter slices/bars actually ended up quite good :p When I initially tried them the base was still quite soft...once it hardened up from being in the fridge longer they took on a life of their own. The hint of saltyness of the peanuts added in with the dark choc and peanut was amazing. :)

I'd say with the dark chocolate on top it would sweeten them a little without any added sweetness in the base, though depends on your taste buds!

I wonder would the base work with oats, peanut butter and flax/egg whites for an even healthier option, or throw in some dates if you fancy some sweetness?

Strawberry oat crumble. Didn’t have enough fresh strawberries so had to use a little jam to line the base before putting the strawberries on :(

Just made 12 raspberry muffins.
    Heat oven to 200’.
    250g flour. 1tsp baking powder
    100g sugar
    75g marg
    1 egg
    175ml milk
    Dash of vanilla essence
    Mix together and then fold in 1 Small pack raspberries

Don’t overmix.

Divide between 12 muffin cases and bake for 20 mins.

Strawberry oat crumble. Didn’t have enough fresh strawberries so had to use a little jam to line the base before putting the strawberries on :(

Any chance of the recipe please, they look lovely.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Any chance of the recipe please, they look lovely.

I adapted this slightly to work better for me. I ground down my oats and did a thicker base. Ella's are probably better than mine :D
    http://www.homecookingadventure.com/recipes/strawberry-oat-crumble-bars

I adapted this slightly to work better for me. I ground down my oats and did a thicker base. Ella's are probably better than mine :D
    http://www.homecookingadventure.com/recipes/strawberry-oat-crumble-bars

Thank you, I'll give it a go. Did you use cups or grams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I baked 2 trays of carrot cake, 2 lemon drizzles using the Donal Skehan recipe ( except I did lemon and lime) and meriguue nests with lemon curd and cream but I forgot to take a photo of them. The carrot cake was from here, http://www.janespatisserie.com/2018/03/16/carrot-cake-traybake/ , it was delicious and moist but icing was a bit too soft, especially for such a sunny day ( I added pecans to the cake mix also).

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Thank you, I'll give it a go. Did you use cups or grams?

Grams. :)

Attempted macarons for the first time last night. Was feeling confident that I knew what I was doing because I read lots of recipes, and had seen it done on Bake Off so many times that surely I wouldn't make any critical errors. I even doubled the recipe I was using because I didn't think it would make enough :P

I ended up with enough macaron batter to feed an army, only they'd still go hungry because they were a disaster! I left them to rest for a good hour and a half and they never formed a skin. A lot of them also spread out into each other even though I used a template to pipe them onto. Makes me think the batter was too liquid somehow, or just my flat was too cold for them to dry out? Has anyone ever successfully made them before who can give some insight? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Attempted macarons for the first time last night. Was feeling confident that I knew what I was doing because I read lots of recipes, and had seen it done on Bake Off so many times that surely I wouldn't make any critical errors. I even doubled the recipe I was using because I didn't think it would make enough :P

I ended up with enough macaron batter to feed an army, only they'd still go hungry because they were a disaster! I left them to rest for a good hour and a half and they never formed a skin. A lot of them also spread out into each other even though I used a template to pipe them onto. Makes me think the batter was too liquid somehow, or just my flat was too cold for them to dry out? Has anyone ever successfully made them before who can give some insight? :P

Did you use a recipe with French meringue or Italian? I found that I get a better result with a recipe that boils the sugar first and then whips it in to the eggwhites. Seems to stabilise the mixture and also dries quickly once piped. The recipe in the Mary berry book I have at home has worked 90% of the time for me. I’ll take a picture when I’m home this evening :)

Did you use a recipe with French meringue or Italian? I found that I get a better result with a recipe that boils the sugar first and then whips it in to the eggwhites. Seems to stabilise the mixture and also dries quickly once piped. The recipe in the Mary berry book I have at home has worked 90% of the time for me. I’ll take a picture when I’m home this evening :)

The recipe I used was the French variety, I know the Italian one is meant to be more stable but I've never made Italian meringue so I was a bit afraid of it! Do you need a sugar thermometer to know when the sugar is the right temperature to add to the whites?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I remember hearing somewhere that macarons were one of those recipes where you can't just double (or triple) quantities, instead you'd have to make 2 (or 3) batches with the quantities as per the recipe.
    I've never made them myself, so I'm really not qualified at all, but maybe that's all that you did wrong?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

The recipe I used was the French variety, I know the Italian one is meant to be more stable but I've never made Italian meringue so I was a bit afraid of it! Do you need a sugar thermometer to know when the sugar is the right temperature to add to the whites?

All you need is 2 spoons. You dip one into the melted sugar, then touch it to another one back to back. If they pull strings between them when you pull them apart, you've the right temperature :D

Shenshen wrote: »
    I remember hearing somewhere that macarons were one of those recipes where you can't just double (or triple) quantities, instead you'd have to make 2 (or 3) batches with the quantities as per the recipe.
    I've never made them myself, so I'm really not qualified at all, but maybe that's all that you did wrong?
    Maybe...the recipe I used said it could be doubled with no problems and didn't say that it should be made in separate batches. However, the recipe also said it made about 30 shells, or 15 macarons, so I doubled it with the aim of making 30 macarons. I ended up with waaay more batter than that though, I'd already piped out nearly 60 shells with about half the batter, and I definitely had doubled the measurements correctly. So either the recipe was giant macarons or something went seriously wrong along the way!
    Shenshen wrote: »
    All you need is 2 spoons. You dip one into the melted sugar, then touch it to another one back to back. If they pull strings between them when you pull them apart, you've the right temperature :D

Hm ok that sounds simpler, I remember the first time I looked it up all the recipes specified using a thermometer. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I've made them only once or twice, used the recipe from the cooking club and it worked pretty well.

They are incredibly temperamental though, I made a batch and split it to do two different colours. The pink ones came out perfectly, the yellow were splodges of almond biscuit. So even a few drops of liquid extra could make a huge difference I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I use a sugar thermometer when making them to be honest just so that I know exactly when it’s gone I’d to go.

The Mary berry book is in my mams house so I’ll get a pic at the weekend but I remember her recipe says 113 degrees exactly so I like the thermometer for precision.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

fresh cream confirmation cake,
    [IMG][/img]fmuujm.jpg
    [IMG][/img]n6wfhi.jpg
    [IMG][/img]2hdrxbq.jpg

The scran line on youtube is constantly making macarons and has a few different methods I think

https://www.youtube.com/user/thescranline
    https://www.thescranline.com/

• Advertisement

I'd made some Swiss meringue buttercream and lemon curd to fill the macarons but as they didn't work I used them to make cupcakes instead.

First time making swiss meringue buttercream, I'm a big fan of the taste as it's a lot less sweet than regular buttercream but not 100% on the texture, it's a bit oily?

Advertisement