Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I made my twix cheesecake, but the guys in work didn't give me enough time to take a photo :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

sdp wrote: »
    fresh cream confirmation cake,

That's fabulous - I bet it went down a treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I'd made some Swiss meringue buttercream and lemon curd to fill the macarons but as they didn't work I used them to make cupcakes instead.

First time making swiss meringue buttercream, I'm a big fan of the taste as it's a lot less sweet than regular buttercream but not 100% on the texture, it's a bit oily?

These look gorgeous . I think I will make them at the weekend as I have some lemon curd left over.
    Did you put the lemon curd in after baking? I'm not mad on buttercream either so will try the Swiss meringue too. Did you flavour it with lemon also?

These look gorgeous . I think I will make them at the weekend as I have some lemon curd left over.
    Did you put the lemon curd in after baking? I'm not mad on buttercream either so will try the Swiss meringue too. Did you flavour it with lemon also?
    Yes after baking I let them cool completely, then cut out a small hole from each cake, filled it with lemon curd and put the top/crust part back on. I flavoured the swiss meringue with just a bit of vanilla extract but you certainly could whip some lemon curd into it at the end to make it lemon flavoured! I'm a big fan of all things lemon but I thought others might find it too tangy if I made it all lemon :P

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

That's fabulous - I bet it went down a treat!
    Thank you, she wanted three different shades of pink :rolleyes:, quite a few cream smudged faces by the time the little ones got their hands on it :D great fun!

• Advertisement

I'd made some Swiss meringue buttercream and lemon curd to fill the macarons but as they didn't work I used them to make cupcakes instead.

First time making swiss meringue buttercream, I'm a big fan of the taste as it's a lot less sweet than regular buttercream but not 100% on the texture, it's a bit oily?

Thanks for the idea, I made these yesterday. I added some caramelised pineapple to the bun mixture and sprinkled some pineapple on top. I just did vanilla Swiss meringue buttercream as my lemon curd was already very zingy.
    It was my first time making this icing, I really loved the taste and texture, however mine was too soft to pipe, even after I refrigerated it, hence the messy finish. I will definitely make it again though.

Thanks for the idea, I made these yesterday. I added some caramelised pineapple to the bun mixture and sprinkled some pineapple on top. I just did vanilla Swiss meringue buttercream as my lemon curd was already very zingy.
    It was my first time making this icing, I really loved the taste and texture, however mine was too soft to pipe, even after I refrigerated it, hence the messy finish. I will definitely make it again though.
    Mmm they look and sound delicious, love the idea of caramelised pineapple! Re: the icing being too soft, I found it does get quite soft after all the whipping because it warms up. I made mine 2 days ahead and kept in the fridge, then let it come to room temperature and re-whipped it for a few mins before piping. Might just have needed a bit longer in the fridge, or maybe your egg whites weren't whipped stiffly enough to start with?

Glad you liked it though! :)

Mmm they look and sound delicious, love the idea of caramelised pineapple! Re: the icing being too soft, I found it does get quite soft after all the whipping because it warms up. I made mine 2 days ahead and kept in the fridge, then let it come to room temperature and re-whipped it for a few mins before piping. Might just have needed a bit longer in the fridge, or maybe your egg whites weren't whipped stiffly enough to start with?

Glad you liked it though! :)

I still have some in the fridge, so will see tomorrow , thanks 😄

Made these poppy seed buns last night. I absolutely love that poppy seed paste filling you find in cakes in Eastern Europe but I never see it over here. I'm watching all the old GBBO episodes on Netflix and one of the contestants made these poppy seed Chelsea 'bunskis' so I adapted the recipe a bit to make 'cinnamon roll' style poppy seed buns! I think it needs a bit of tweaking still but I was happy with them and will definitely be incorporating poppy seed filling into more bakes now I know how to make it!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Made these poppy seed buns last night. I absolutely love that poppy seed paste filling you find in cakes in Eastern Europe but I never see it over here. I'm watching all the old GBBO episodes on Netflix and one of the contestants made these poppy seed Chelsea 'bunskis' so I adapted the recipe a bit to make 'cinnamon roll' style poppy seed buns! I think it needs a bit of tweaking still but I was happy with them and will definitely be incorporating poppy seed filling into more bakes now I know how to make it!

You might find that poppy seed filling in Polish shops. We call it Mohnback in Germany, this recipe seems to be quite close to the ingredients in the packets you can buy: http://hanseata.blogspot.ie/2009/12/poppy-seed-filling-mohnback.html?m=1

• Advertisement

Space Dog wrote: »
    You might find that poppy seed filling in Polish shops. We call it Mohnback in Germany, this recipe seems to be quite close to the ingredients in the packets you can buy: http://hanseata.blogspot.ie/2009/12/poppy-seed-filling-mohnback.html?m=1

Oh amazing, might have a look! Although it wasn't that hard to make from scratch so if I can't find it at least I won't go without! Good to know the name of it too- everyone at work was asking and I didn't know what to call it other than 'poppy seed paste' :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I usually bring Mohnback back from Germany. But I have found poppy filling in Polish shops, too. It was in a tin, not in a pouch.

Will definitely try the recipe in Space Dog's link.

Slight improvement from last time - thanks all for suggestions!

20180527_153431_800x600.jpg

Looks great Dónal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That's fab :)

Made Nigella 's chocolate fudge cake for the OH's bday. He's pretty picky about cake and I've been trying to make something he likes as much as the chocolate cake from M&S, I think this is it!

Tried to do a chocolate ganache drip effect but it was very warm yesterday which played havoc with it a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I'm not a chocolate cake person but that sure would tempt me to have a slice. Looks amazing & very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

That looks delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

Fab looking cake!

Thanks guys! Don't think I'll ever use another chocolate cake recipe again, to me it is perfect!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Toasted marshmallow brownies! They turned out really well, but are soooo messy to cut because of the marshmallow layer.

The recipe I used made an insane amount of batter though... so I made some regular brownies too :)

I made that rhubarb and custard cake that was recommended to me here. It turned out really nice but the rhubarb sunk to the bottom so I'll definitely have to try again, maybe add more custard too!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Bake sale at work today, so I made 2 types of ladoos (not really baking, ok, I know, but they're sweet and yummy :D)
    The white ones are coconut and almond, and the others are peanut butter and chocolate. The sale starts at 11, I can't leave the box on my desk, the smell is just amazing! I'd eat them all.

hFYgt6l.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I love ladoo! Do you have a recipe for them to share?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Tree wrote: »
    I love ladoo! Do you have a recipe for them to share?

I have one for the coconut ladoos, though I've used less coconut (I just measured it out by using the empty tin from the condensed milk) and added chopped almonds into the mix before forming the balls.

For the peanut and chocolate ones, I improvised.
    I took 3/4 of a jar of crunchy peanut butter, maybe 70g of butter and put them together into the microwave for a minute.
    I then started stirring it together, adding icing sugar bit by bit until the mixture was dense enough to form into balls. I let them set in the fridge, then decorated with a bit of molten chocolate.

They were quite the success at the bake sale, though. I wish I actually had a recipe online somewhere I've had so many people ask for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Missed the entry for the first Faker to Baker challenge (it's OK, it's the later, more impressive bakes that you want to win :D). Flower shaped cutters/icing didn't work out so well, but they all taste good.

Need to a) pick up piping bags and b) learn how to use said piping bags

454274.jpg

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Missed the entry for the first Faker to Baker challenge (it's OK, it's the later, more impressive bakes that you want to win :D). Flower shaped cutters/icing didn't work out so well, but they all taste good.

Good luck in the competition, hadn't seen it was running again! I see the winner this year isn't being chosen by facebook vote- probably for the best :pac:

Sabre0001 wrote: »

454274.jpg

How does it work? Can't find any info on their pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Just made some shortbread for a birthday because it's too hot for cake. Less than 1.5 minutes of mixing in the processor, job done! Will serve with strawberries and sweetened vanilla quark. And maybe a candle.
    https://kerrygold.com/ie/recipes/shortbread-2/

• Advertisement

How does it work? Can't find any info on their pages.

It's run via their Facebook page I think. They post a recipe each week and you post a photo of your attempt, they pick a winner each week and send them out a hamper of baking supplies. Each of the winners go into a final to win a KitchenAid at the end.

Advertisement