Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭HelpImAlive

This girl has dozens of millionaires' shortbread inspired recipes on her blog so no surprise she's made a cake version, maybe you'll get some inspiration from this :)

https://www.janespatisserie.com/2017/07/24/millionaires-cake/

Oh wow, that looks absolutely incredible, just what I was looking for! In all my Google searches, I never came across this one! Thanks so much. :)

Oh wow, that looks absolutely incredible, just what I was looking for! In all my Google searches, I never came across this one! Thanks so much. :)

Think I first came across a link to her blog on this thread, she has a definite trend for doing cakes and desserts inspired by confectionery!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

Thanks for the blog link piratequeen, I just found a gin and tonic drizzle cake on it. Definitely have to try it out for a gin-loving friend of mine!

https://www.janespatisserie.com/2018/01/08/gin-tonic-drizzle-cake/

Thanks for the blog link piratequeen, I just found a gin and tonic drizzle cake on it. Definitely have to try it out for a gin-loving friend of mine!

Enjoy! I hate gin but a friend gave me a gin food flavouring which I used to make gin flavoured icing for cupcakes, I hated them but my gin loving friends enjoyed them! :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If you're on instagram you should follow her to see all the delights she produces. She's inspired a lot of my makey uppey recipes with her penchant for using chocolate or well known treats and turning them into themed cheesecakes/cakes/cupcakes etc :D

My next one is a twix cheesecake :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

More assembly really than actual baking but I made some cake pops for charity bake sale on Thursday.

Also, for anyone who makes cake pops frequently, the best tip I ever got was to use lollipop sticks that are flat (like in an ice cream!), pegs from the clothes line and a clothes horse. Looks absolutely ridiculous and will raise more than a few questions but it really makes it easier to get them to dry quicker and without flattening the tops of them if you’re serving them upright in jars etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Also, for anyone who makes cake pops frequently, the best tip I ever got was to use lollipop sticks that are flat (like in an ice cream!, pegs from the clothes line and a clothes horse. Looks absolutely ridiculous and will raise more than a few questions but it really makes it easier to get them to dry quicker and without flattening the tops of them if you’re serving them upright in jars etc :)

Wouldn't be able to do that. They'd be at just the right height for the pooches - it wouldn't end well ;)

Great idea for dog free households, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 musicmammy

Thank you. They look wonderful and the tip is very useful.
    As I have never made cake pops, how do you make (assemble) them?

musicmammy wrote: »
    Thank you. They look wonderful and the tip is very useful.
    As I have never made cake pops, how do you make (assemble) them?

I took the easy route this time and used 2x super valu Madeira cakes and one tub of Betty Crocker chocolate frosting. Combine both into a stiff dough, roll in to small balls and chill for 30 mins. Trick for getting the sticks to stay in is to dip the stick in melted chocolate and then in to the ball and chill again. Then dip in melted chocolate and decorate and hang on your washing line.

You can make your own cake and frosting and use that if you like but I very rarely bother unless I have left overs from making a bigger cake. The pre-made stuff is very handy and it seems a shame to bake a full cake and work on getting the air in to it etc only to crumble it up anyway!

• Advertisement

Thank you very much Michellenman. I'll be doing the easy route too, and following your clear instructions.

musicmammy wrote: »
    Thank you very much Michellenman. I'll be doing the easy route too, and following your clear instructions.

Best of luck, come back and let me know how you got on!

Here’s the finished versions on yesterday’s batch :)

Lots of baking over the last 2 days! It’s a friends 30th tomorrow so I made a 3 layer chocolate Madeira/sponge cake. I’m not a fan of buttercream at all so it’s coated in whipped white chocolate ganache with ganache and raspberries between the layers and a white chocolate and pink candy melt drip. I’ve never used candy melts before but after back experience trying to colour chocolate and ruining it i decided to give them a go. When mixed with white chocolate and cream the melts were a bit too thin and the sprinkles kind of fell down the sides. The ‘30’ wasn’t defined enough to read properly so I tried to outline it but that didn’t turn out well either. Typical!

Over all the effect is ok but it’s disappointing to spend 2 full evenings working on something and then to spoil it doing the last bit.

FWIW I think the drip looks great...and I didn't notice anything wrong with the '30' until I read the rest of your post.

FWIW I think the drip looks great...and I didn't notice anything wrong with the '30' until I read the rest of your post.

Thanks, looking at it this morning I’m much happier!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Thanks, looking at it this morning I’m much happier!

I think it looks amazing, I would be delighted if someone made it for me :)

I think its fabulous too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I have to do some baking for a charity coffee morning. Any nice suggestions (easy) please?
    I was thinking tray bakes would be handiest - maybe lemon drizzle or carrot cake or Avica chocolate rice crispie slices.
    I will probably do 2 trays x 2 recipes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have to do some baking for a charity coffee morning. Any nice suggestions (easy) please?
    I was thinking tray bakes would be handiest - maybe lemon drizzle or carrot cake or Avica chocolate rice crispie slices.

These Donal Skehan lemon drizzle slices are very easy and taste fab:

http://www.donalskehan.com/recipes/lemon-drizzle-slices/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

These Donal Skehan lemon drizzle slices are very easy and taste fab:

http://www.donalskehan.com/recipes/lemon-drizzle-slices/

That looks perfect thanks, especially as it is all in one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

Also Mary Berry tray bakes, all ways works great https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/chocolate_tray_bake_with_69567

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Michellenman - that looks AMAZING! You're a great friend! I'd love a cake like that for my birthday! :pac:

Made millionaires shortbread/caramel squares last night. Mostly because I want to practice shorbread bases and caramel for my forthcoming twix cheesecake :D

And we do love our healthy breakfasts in the office.

Made millionaires shortbread/caramel squares last night. Mostly because I want to practice shorbread bases and caramel for my forthcoming twix cheesecake :D

And we do love our healthy breakfasts in the office.

/drools.

I’ve yet to nail caramel, always dribbles out or is like concrete. If you have a good recipe I’d love it!

/drools.

I’ve yet to nail caramel, always dribbles out or is like concrete. If you have a good recipe I’d love it!

Have you tried the Cooking Club one? It's well tried and tested :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056409066

Mine was 150g butter and 150g dark soft brown sugar melted in pan (together unlike faiths recipe). When sugar was fully dissolved/butter fully melted, I tipped in a tin of condensed milk. Brought it to a boil quickly, stirring continuously and let it boil for about a minute till it thickened a bit. Then took it off the heat and poured it over the shortbread
    Pretty much the exact opposite to Faith's method :pac:

Have a vauge memory of trying Faith's method a couple of years ago and it not working for me but that seems to be a popular way to make it. Mine worked out great though...nice dark colour too from the dark brown sugar.

Last time I made caramel I just boiled a tin of condensed milk over a really high heat for a few minutes- it works well but I did burn a small bit at the bottom of my pan (which I still haven’t gotten off!) and if it splashes you it hurts like hell :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Have you tried the Cooking Club one? It's well tried and tested :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056409066

Pip Pip for this recipe! I had a few failures until I used that recipe. Success! I think the golden syrup was the secret. Everyone loves 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Can you freeze cake? I made chocolate cake today with a dark chocolate ganache coating. But it's huge. Way too big for us to finish in the next two days. Very rich too so you'd only have a small slice at a time. Any way I can make it last longer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Whispered wrote: »
    Can you freeze cake? I made chocolate cake today with a dark chocolate ganache coating. But it's huge. Way too big for us to finish in the next two days. Very rich too so you'd only have a small slice at a time. Any way I can make it last longer?

A cake like that should last for several days anyway, I'd say up to a week, kept in a tin in a cool place.
    It should freeze ok for a couple of months too though, just make sure it's well wrapped up!

Advertisement