Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison officer recruitment 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Abbey127 wrote: »
    Hi yes so would there be a good chance of not getting through to stage 3?

Further down the less the chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Abbey127

I was thinking that but my friend got through to stage 3 last year and he was in around 700.

Abbey127 wrote: »
    I was thinking that but my friend got through to stage 3 last year and he was in around 700.

Yes but was that on last test online at home as it may well be different in the test in town and also some will drop out or not do as good at test second time round.

It's all depending on who gets through on interview also.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paddy 42

Following completion of stage two in Dublin your results will then be combined with your scores from the stage one on line assessments questioaire and job simulation .
    This will decide what order of merit you will take on the panel.
    There have been roughly 800 or 900 candidates called forward to stage two so far.
    As people will appreciate passing stage two is still a long way off been offered the job.
    Candidates then have to wait to be called for interview and once called the difficult task of impressing the interview panel that you have got what it takes to carry out the role of a Prison Officer.
    You will see and deal with issues that you would never encounter outside of prison or very rarely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ilikecake90

Long time listener, first time caller.ðŸ˜

For anyone who has completed stage two I just have a few questions.
    1. Is the maths test the same material or close enough too what is on the careers services course?
    2. Is the maths a multiple choice answer or is there no choice of answers to choose from.
    3. Do you need to bring your own calcator?
    4. Was the verbal reasoning difficult and is it true and false or is it true, false and cannot tell?
    5. Does anyone know how close you have to get to stage one scores or is a pass sufficient?

Sorry about the list but any help word be appreciated.
    I hope we all get the job.ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dien

Long time listener, first time caller.ðŸ˜

For anyone who has completed stage two I just have a few questions.
    1. Is the maths test the same material or close enough too what is on the careers services course?
    2. Is the maths a multiple choice answer or is there no choice of answers to choose from.
    3. Do you need to bring your own calcator?
    4. Was the verbal reasoning difficult and is it true and false or is it true, false and cannot tell?
    5. Does anyone know how close you have to get to stage one scores or is a pass sufficient?

Sorry about the list but any help word be appreciated.
    I hope we all get the job.ðŸ˜

Hello, and I also love cake!

It's the exact same test as you took in stage 1, only this time it's supervised. They provided the calculator, pen/paper, PC's, toilets etc. all you have to do is show up with I.D, passport photo and booking confirmation. The verbal reasoning was the EXACT same (same paragraphs, same questions) as stage 1, so if you have photographic memory you're sorted. Don't worry about scores, do your best and try focus on staying relaxed and everything else will look after itself. Best of luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Abbey127

Hi how long do you get to do the maths is it 20 seconds and then 10 seconds to answer it? Or is it 20 seconds overall per question

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Do you need short hair and everything for the stage 2 passport photo etc?

Do you need short hair and everything for the stage 2 passport photo etc?

Same as passport rules really.

Same as passport rules really.

I mean in the sense that my hair is quite long. Don't have time to get it cut by tomorrow. Having long hair in the passport photo they want wouldn't be a black mark against me?

• Advertisement

I mean in the sense that my hair is quite long. Don't have time to get it cut by tomorrow. Having long hair in the passport photo they want wouldn't be a black mark against me?

I would doubt it unless it's covering your face.

I would doubt it unless it's covering your face.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Thanks

You'll have to cut it for training obviously, like short. They're pretty strict down there in the college. When you get through your training, they lighten up on it. I cut my glorious mane for interview, had to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 thomasefc3

Does anybody know would an adult caution from 10 years ago prevent someone from getting the job?
    Thanks

thomasefc3 wrote: »
    Does anybody know would an adult caution from 10 years ago prevent someone from getting the job?
    Thanks

A caution shouldn't have bearing on you. They're generally consigned to history after 6 months if nothing makes you grab their attention again. Source: Happened me.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Pip108

Strange question here, but does anybody know anything about the rules regarding tattoos for the job, have a good few on my arms and legs, all can be covered, just wondering has anyone any info regarding this?

Thanks

Pip108 wrote: »
    Strange question here, but does anybody know anything about the rules regarding tattoos for the job, have a good few on my arms and legs, all can be covered, just wondering has anyone any info regarding this?

Thanks

A non issue in 2018. Do your best to keep them covered in training maybe but once in the job, not a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Julygirl105

Does anyone have an idea of start dates??
    I know interviews are to be held mid June, so I suppose it would be July for medical and then August for physical maybe.. Judging from the 2016 thread, clearance is taking forever so im guessing myself maybe November... Or do you think I’m way off the mark??

• Registered Users Posts: 31 S00100668

Does anyone have an idea of start dates??
    I know interviews are to be held mid June, so I suppose it would be July for medical and then August for physical maybe.. Judging from the 2016 thread, clearance is taking forever so im guessing myself maybe November... Or do you think I’m way off the mark??

October is meant to be when the next class of officers happens I imagine this could be made up of people from 2016 recruitment unless that panel has expired then it would be mad up of the people who are cleared first from this competition ... ohhh I'm sick waiting for results stage 2 the verbal reasoning felt harder even though It compared heavily to stage one test !!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

Waiting for these results is soul destroying haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Matk

Just found this post today, going tomorrow to Abbey Street for stage 2, can barely remember first test. Are informal clothes okay. How long is test? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

Matk wrote: »
    Just found this post today, going tomorrow to Abbey Street for stage 2, can barely remember first test. Are informal clothes okay. How long is test? Thanks

I had mine today. Clothes wise it was casual enough. I wore jeans and a jumper but others had tracksuit and runners. I really don't think it matters at this stage tbh. Are you sure its tomorrow? I was sure today was the last day! 9 didn't show up from what I could see.

S00100668 wrote: »
    October is meant to be when the next class of officers happens I imagine this could be made up of people from 2016 recruitment unless that panel has expired then it would be mad up of the people who are cleared first from this competition ... ohhh I'm sick waiting for results stage 2 the verbal reasoning felt harder even though It compared heavily to stage one test !!

From the other thread it seems like they are hitting the high numbers from the 2016 campaign. They must be at the end if they have started this campaign surely...
    I felt the same about the verbal reasoning. The first stage I aced and the stage 2 I felt I was second guessing myself so am worried I didn’t do as well..
    I was in on the first day of stage 2 so it’s gona seem like forever for the results to come..:(

User2206 wrote: »
    Waiting for these results is soul destroying haha

It is, isn’t it.. And this is only the start of the process.. we’ve a long way to go yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

It is, isn’t it.. And this is only the start of the process.. we’ve a long way to go yet..

I know :( ... how do you think you done in the tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Matk

I had mine today. Clothes wise it was casual enough. I wore jeans and a jumper but others had tracksuit and runners. I really don't think it matters at this stage tbh. Are you sure its tomorrow? I was sure today was the last day! 9 didn't show up from what I could see.
    Yes 1.30, Thursday 3/5/18

Matk wrote: »
    Yes 1.30, Thursday 3/5/18

Best of luck with it.

User2206 wrote: »
    I know :( ... how do you think you done in the tests?

In stage 1 calculations was terrible scrapped by, verbal reasoning I wasnt worried about and now stage 2 I’m the opposite. Thought calculations were grand but I’m concerned about verbal. I was overthinking every question. I’m prob more concerned about verbal because that’s what they are adding to the previous scores.
    What about u??

Did anyone run out of time on any of the calculation / verbal?

I didn't answer one calculation in time and I know I messed up another two or so. Had similar issue in stage one but got through it in the end. In stage one I finished verbal with 6 minutes to spear and my score was ok. I took my time yesterday and answered them all with one minute left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lfcsean101

i know i messed up verbal reasoning sickened over it,Maths was perfect but i dont think ill pass stage 2 because i did so poor in verbal

Advertisement