Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison officer recruitment 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Adzy911

New to the forum! I passed stage 1 now thru to stage 2. Anybody know what the "place" number means?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Adzy911 wrote: »
    New to the forum! I passed stage 1 now thru to stage 2. Anybody know what the "place" number means?

The closer you are to 1 the higher chance of getting the job, this can and will change at next stage and if get further at the interview also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MPREDCAP1988

Guys if you click on the scoring feedback link on the message on the publicjobs site it gives you a better idea of how well you have done as it gives the averages of all candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 MCBRENNAN

Any one have any idea how many people applied ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 LDWIRL

Has anyone got any clue of what kind of roster the recruits would work if successful? 3 days on 4 off? 2 on 2 off?
    If anyone has any clue it would be much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

LDWIRL wrote: »
    Has anyone got any clue of what kind of roster the recruits would work if successful? 3 days on 4 off? 2 on 2 off?
    If anyone has any clue it would be much appreciated.

Serving officer here. Here’s a basic breakdown;-

Week 1: MON TUE FRI SAT SUN
    Week 2: WED THURS
    Week 3: MON TUE FRI SAT SUN
    Week 4: WED THURS

Now that doesn’t include Additional Hours (a form of overtime) but that can be explained in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Julygirl105

There’s a documentary on rte on Monday night about Mountjoy. Might give us a good insight into what’s ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Megan7290

How do I remove the post with my placement number?

Megan7290 wrote: »
    How do I remove the post with my placement number?

Go into edit or delete mode

• Registered Users Posts: 17 suremaybe

Thoughts on "back to the joy" ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Paddy1507

suremaybe wrote: »
    Gives a little insight into the job

Paddy1507 wrote: »
    Gives a little insight into the job

I dunno that it does and if so its Very little insight into it.

Saying that I enjoyed it and thought it was really interesting would have preferred it to be two parts of the comparison as it seemed to be and another two just completely on how it is now..

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭irishgirl91

Hi Everyone

Awaiting to do stage 2 up in Dublin. Does anyone have any idea of the type of maths that will be coming up? More of the same or something alot harder? Will it be a written exam? Is it online again and timed? That was painful alot of pressure. I understand thats how they test but still alot of us felt that pressure reading the comments.

For those of you that were fortunate to avail of online classes/the career service course. Is there any material/websites you would suggest?

Im surprised there isnt any psychometric tests just verbal and calculations.

Dont worry about your place number. Do your best for stage 2!!!

Good luck everyone!

Hi Everyone

Awaiting to do stage 2 up in Dublin. Does anyone have any idea of the type of maths that will be coming up? More of the same or something alot harder? Will it be a written exam? Is it online again and timed? That was painful alot of pressure. I understand thats how they test but still alot of us felt that pressure reading the comments.

For those of you that were fortunate to avail of online classes/the career service course. Is there any material/websites you would suggest?

Im surprised there isnt any psychometric tests just verbal and calculations.

Dont worry about your place number. Do your best for stage 2!!!

Good luck everyone!

Reading the information they gave us it's just the verbal reasoning and the varify calculation again conducted on there computers while being supervised . .
    So it's just more of the same as I understand .
    You should have a look at all the information they gave us it will explain every thing . And it provides a site that shows and allows you to practice the questions that will be along the lines of what will be asked .

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭irishgirl91

Reading the information they gave us it's just the verbal reasoning and the varify calculation again conducted on there computers while being supervised . .
    So it's just more of the same as I understand .
    You should have a look at all the information they gave us it will explain every thing . And it provides a site that shows and allows you to practice the questions that will be along the lines of what will be asked .

Yeah I read the information. Its just the practice material for the calculation test for stage 1 seemed fine and the real thing was well it was alot harder. I felt there was very little practice material to go on and it was repetitive. I understand the actual tests will be harder and the material cant be the exact same as practice. I was nervous with the time pressure. I just want to prepare and really do well in stage 2. The verbal stuff seemed fine aslong as you read it i got good marks.

Thanks for replying

Yeah I read the information. Its just the practice material for the calculation test for stage 1 seemed fine and the real thing was well it was alot harder. I felt there was very little practice material to go on and it was repetitive. I understand the actual tests will be harder and the material cant be the exact same as practice. I was nervous with the time pressure. I just want to prepare and really do well in stage 2. The verbal stuff seemed fine aslong as you read it i got good marks.

Thanks for replying

"The actual test" is what you have done .
    This is just to varify that it was you and you did actually pass .
    They are the same tests just slightly different questions.
    The verbal stuff is what really matters, that counts towards your placement the math side doesn't if you are 1 or 500 above what is needed to pass the minimum requirement in the math it's all the same .
    The "time pressure" is what it is . Just take your time and answer what you can correctly don't put pressure on yourself to be as quick as you can even tho you're unsure ...

As they say slow is smooth, smooth is fast .

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Joffrey

aor04 wrote: »
    Got my results my place is 123 actually cannot believe it was fully sure I wouldn't pass on the maths but literally just scraped through the rest of the results pulled up my place. So sorry for any one that didn't get through to stage 2 and best of luck next time

Got 122, feel a bit far down on the list for it to be realistic.

I thought as it was ‘back to the joy’ it would have been more footage of Mountjoy now. Seemed to be more of the old footage..

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lfcsean101

Joffrey wrote: »
    Got 122, feel a bit far down on the list for it to be realistic.

if you feel far down at 122,i must not have a hope im down in 800s but im very happy as i made it through to the next round,i did my tests in a very busy working environment and with people around me,was full sure i wouldnt get through to stage 2 as im was barely looking at questions whilst doing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

lfcsean101 wrote: »
    if you feel far down at 122,i must not have a hope im down in 800s but im very happy as i made it through to the next round,i did my tests in a very busy working environment and with people around me,was full sure i wouldnt get through to stage 2 as im was barely looking at questions whilst doing them.

Were you called for stage two? Just wondering how many they called as it didn't say the overall number proceeding to stage two in the email I recieved. I know in 2016 they called 600 to stage two straight away. Well done by the way, getting through giving the environment you describe is impressive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lfcsean101

Yeah got called for round two which i was shocked as i said,did the maths on a computer in work with 4 people around me asking me questions even my boss,so as i said very happy to get this far and will work dam hard to try and progress i really want it

Paddy 42 wrote: »
    Ok Guys,
    to let ye all relax a bit and not be stressing so much.
    Results are not out until end of week.
    So be Friday.
    Best of luck to all.

Maybe you might know the answer to this Paddy42

Does anybody know when we will get details of what’s expected in the physical?? Would it be after passing stage 2.. my fitness levels are mediocre so I want to get training.. I read somewhere that they are changing the physical test requirements to pass and am concerned this might make it tougher...

Were you called for stage two? Just wondering how many they called as it didn't say the overall number proceeding to stage two in the email I recieved. I know in 2016 they called 600 to stage two straight away. Well done by the way, getting through giving the environment you describe is impressive

Every one who passed stage one will be called for stage two

Maybe you might know the answer to this Paddy42

Does anybody know when we will get details of what’s expected in the physical?? Would it be after passing stage 2.. my fitness levels are mediocre so I want to get training.. I read somewhere that they are changing the physical test requirements to pass and am concerned this might make it tougher...

If you Google "prison officer fitness test" a pdf will come up which explains it in detail

Yes, I’ve had a look at that one. But I’m sure I read somewhere it was changing after the 2016 campaign.. I could be wrong tho.. I guess it’s best to work off that one til we hear different..

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paddy 42

I would advise that you keep a basic level of fitness.
    As I am sure that a fitness test would be an annual requirement,
    I would also say CNR annual refresher will be required.
    I'm sure some of the serving officers on here can advise tho if these are annual requirements as part of your contract.
    Or give some more information on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 MCBRENNAN

can ya bring an owl calculator for stage two ? :P

Paddy 42 wrote: »
    I would advise that you keep a basic level of fitness.
    As I am sure that a fitness test would be an annual requirement,
    I would also say CNR annual refresher will be required.
    I'm sure some of the serving officers on here can advise tho if these are annual requirements as part of your contract.
    Or give some more information on the subject.

The fitness test isn't a requirement once passed and in.
    Anything after that would be a change to the whole system similar to the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paddy 42

Are you a serving officer?
    Or do you know this for sure that there is no annual fitness test?
    Is there an annual CNR refresher?

• Advertisement

MCBRENNAN wrote: »
    can ya bring an owl calculator for stage two ? :P

Hope so . Goosed without it

Advertisement