Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison officer recruitment 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 seanog3

Just a run thru of what u had to do??

Well the first thing you do is the 15m ×7 run in 35 sec or under . After that its the push pull test where you have to get over 35 kg . Then its the grip test where you squeeze a handle you have to get over 35kgs on your good side and 32 on your bad side . Then its the run with fire extinguisher 30 meters in 30 secs . Then you have to hold a sheild above your head at 45 degrees weighing 6kgs for 1 min and finally you finish off with the run 600 meters 15 meter shuttle run and have to do it in under 3 min 30 secs .

Training in what way exactly?

Just wondering

Well i trained by doing the shuttle runs over and over again in the gym . No point running on a treadmill because its all about how quick you turn in the run .

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paddy 42

You say 7x 15 meter runs in 35secs or under for each shuttle run.
    I don't quite understand what you mean by the last bit 600 15 meter shuttle runs in 3mins 30 secs. ?
    Are you saying it equates to 600 meters in total?
    Broken down in to 15 meter shuttle runs to cover this distance of 600 meteres in 3 minutes 30 secs or less?

Paddy 42 wrote: »
    You say 7x 15 meter runs in 35secs or under for each shuttle run.
    I don't quite understand what you mean by the last bit 600 15 meter shuttle runs in 3mins 30 secs. ?
    Are you saying it equates to 600 meters in total?
    Broken down in to 15 meter shuttle runs to cover this distance of 600 meteres in 3 minutes 30 secs or less?
    Yes it equates to 600 meters in total for the aerobic . And for the speed test it is 7 15 meter shuttles in 35 sec . So if you break it down you have 5 secs for each 15 meters

Right taught that is what you ment all right.
    Does not sound like a lot but I would say if you do not put in some training before in preparation it would be tough enough to pass unless you are a natural athlete.
    In that case you would have no problems lol those two people that failed is it one more chance they get to repeat it and pass it?

• Advertisement

Paddy 42 wrote: »
    Right taught that is what you ment all right.
    Does not sound like a lot but I would say if you do not put in some training before in preparation it would be tough enough to pass unless you are a natural athlete.
    In that case you would have no problems lol those two people that failed is it one more chance they get to repeat it and pass it?
    Yes you do but honestly if you train for a month befor it you should fly it

Ya have to wait for the results of stage two first don't want to take anything for granted.
    Well done on passing you obviously won't be in the class starting in June tho.
    Soon as you get your vetting tho you will be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 S00100668

seanog3 wrote: »
    Yes it equates to 600 meters in total for the aerobic . And for the speed test it is 7 15 meter shuttles in 35 sec . So if you break it down you have 5 secs for each 15 meters

I train for physique competitions, so I do mad weights sessions and do 15 to 20 mins cardio post weights session 5 to 6 times a week I know exactly what macros and nutrition is going in but I'd still only be worried about the running il aspect it's different doing cardio off a machine for example treadmill bike crosstrainer for example so I must get onto practising for shuttles :) and figure out best way run with fire extinguisher lol granted I pass stage 2 and 3 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Matk

Anybody got their results from stage 2 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Julygirl105

Matk wrote: »
    Anybody got their results from stage 2 yet?

Results not out til end of May..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lfcsean101

Just wondering and i have a long way to go but normally how long do you have notice wise if you get through everything to when you start ?

its just i dont want to give my current employers only a weeks notice and at the same time with the role i have i cant let them know my intentions just in case i dont get in if yous get me

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

lfcsean101 wrote: »
    Just wondering and i have a long way to go but normally how long do you have notice wise if you get through everything to when you start ?

its just i dont want to give my current employers only a weeks notice and at the same time with the role i have i cant let them know my intentions just in case i dont get in if yous get me

From 2016 thread it looks like 5/6 weeks or so. I believe theres a class starting in June and one or two posted a couple of weeks ago to say they got start date in June. Have a look at 2016 thread, the last few posts on the last page.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 thomasefc3

Is there anything we can do at this stage to help speed up the process if we are lucky enough to get the position? Like vetting etc or just wait till results are out and we will be given necessary forms?

I know we spoke about this already earlier.
    However I would like to ask few more questions regarding the PCT (fitness test)
    Ok so :
    : Is the fitness test done outside on like a running track or is it inside in a Gym?
    : The test consists of 7x 15 meter shuttle runs in a speed and agility test and the second part of the test is to cover total of 600 meters in 3minutes 30 seconds or less.,I think it was said that this was also conducted in shuttle runs but not 100%.
    : Is this running between the to points marked out eg 15meters apart until you have completed the required number of shuttles to equate to 600 meteres?
    : Or how is this test conducted is it done by the bleep test?
    Would be nice if the person who posted earlier can break it down excatly for us,so people know what they must achieve.
    Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jellsbells

Test is in a gym, there are small cones on each side to mark the distance. You have to run back and forth ensuring you hit the line. You will need to practice your turns, best is to change which foot hits the line each time you turn. There is no beep you just keep running and your instructor will tell you when to stop. I wouldn't worry about counting runs, just focus on your breathing.

Cheers jells bells thanks for clarifying that.
    It's exactly like the bleep test so with out running to the sound of the bleep and it is the same or similar time frame as the bleep test.
    So the 600 meters total distance back and forth between the two cones of 15 meteres apart in 3minutes and 30 seconds or less ,is the Same as reaching level 5.4 on the bleep test which I believe also amounts to total of 40 shuttle runs.

Anyone any idea would it be this week or over next 2 weeks we get stage 2 results? It's long wait so far or maybe it's just me...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

S00100668 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea would it be this week or over next 2 weeks we get stage 2 results? It's long wait so far or maybe it's just me...

End of the month.

I stand corrected, I believe the stage two results will be out either this day two weeks or Friday two weeks.
    Tho this is not certain or confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lfcsean101

With the Guards now recruiting do yous reckon people who are at stage 2 on this campaign might defect to the garda recruitment ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jellsbells

Paddy 42 that's it exactly. They will tell you after you have completed all of the tests if you have passed or not. It was very cold the day I tested, everyone had difficulty catching their breath afterwards so try to practice your runs indoors and outdoors.

When are you due to start your training?
    I know there is a class starting in June .
    Now that they are using the training college at Port laoise and the training facilities at Wheatfield,I wonder will they be starting a new class every couple of weeks?
    Average class sizes are around 20 so in order to bring the numbers up quickly to increase the staffing levels.
    I would think this could be the case.
    Probably work on the basis that who ever has their vetting complete first will be allocated a place on a course until that course is full and then so on until they have recruited and trained the numbers they want for this year.

This statement is highly presumptuous that I get through all stages of the recruitment which may not happen I recognise but I want to go to America from 19th Decemberb2018 to January 3rd 2019 would I be unwise to book this from previous competition experience again highly presumptuous i know to ask this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Book the holiday, it'll be your last Christmas off.

Ok so I'm not 100% sure on this but I would say that before you start (assuming as you said you get through all stages) the IPS will ask you if you have any pre booked holidays or family events that may effect your commitment to training.
    If you say you have a holiday booked to USA then they will ask for proof of this and it could be one of two things if it is at the end of your 12 weeks training they may permit you to take your holiday before you report to your establishment (Jail) for duty or they may put off placing you on a training course until you have returned from your holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Book the holiday. Don't assume anything. If you don't book it, you won't be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TopProspect

I am new to this forum. I ranked highly in stage one and am awaiting results from stage two. Is there any indication when the first interviews will be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Julygirl105

I am new to this forum. I ranked highly in stage one and am awaiting results from stage two. Is there any indication when the first interviews will be ?

The lady in PAS said after our stage 2 assesments that results will be out the end of May and the interviews should start mid June....

I Hurd a whisper that the interviews were due to start the week commencing 04th June which is the week of the bank holiday Monday.
    However I'm not sure if this will be the case because stage two results are not supposed to be out until the end of the month which will be next week sometime.
    That would mean a very short notice to first group of candidates been called forward for interview only about 5 days.
    Has anybody contacted Public jobs since they have completed stage two to get a difinitive answer on when results are out will it be end this week or definitely next week, maybe some one on here can confirm this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

Hoping results will be out today but it’s looking more likely that it will be the end of next week :(

Advertisement