Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison officer recruitment 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

In stage 1 calculations was terrible scrapped by, verbal reasoning I wasnt worried about and now stage 2 I’m the opposite. Thought calculations were grand but I’m concerned about verbal. I was overthinking every question. I’m prob more concerned about verbal because that’s what they are adding to the previous scores.
    What about u??
    I’m undecided but I felt like this after stage 1 and didn’t do too bad but I think I messsd up the calculations in this one I left 3 blank and then was unsure about some answers I input! I’m sick over it 😞

lfcsean101 wrote: »
    i know i messed up verbal reasoning sickened over it,Maths was perfect but i dont think ill pass stage 2 because i did so poor in verbal

How many questions did you answer in the verbal reasoning?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lfcsean101

User2206 wrote: »
    How many questions did you answer in the verbal reasoning?

i answered them all but i dont think i got many correct but sure time will tell

i answered them all but i dont think i got many correct but sure time will tell

I never answer the all out of fear of negative marking I always just answer about 25/30! I dunno tho.. the wait is a killer! Are you based in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Julygirl105

User2206 wrote: »
    I’m undecided but I felt like this after stage 1 and didn’t do too bad but I think I messsd up the calculations in this one I left 3 blank and then was unsure about some answers I input! I’m sick over it 😞

That’s the way I felt too, never thought I had a chance of getting thru stage 1 and got on fine. Stage 2 I’m more concerned about. U just need a pass in the maths, they said the maths this time round isnt added to your score.

• Advertisement

Did anyone run out of time on any of the calculation / verbal?

I didn't answer one calculation in time and I know I messed up another two or so. Had similar issue in stage one but got through it in the end. In stage one I finished verbal with 6 minutes to spear and my score was ok. I took my time yesterday and answered them all with one minute left.

I think I missed a maths question too. Which is an improvement from stage 1, think I missed 3 then... Stage 1 in verbal I think I got nearly top marks, not so confident this time around thou..

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paddy 42

Question is how many in each assessment is required to be answered correctly to achieve a pass?
    Is the requirements from stage one what they will be basing and assessing you on or is it a different qualifying score required at stage two in order to pass and progress on to stage 3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

Paddy 42 wrote: »
    Question is how many in each assessment is required to be answered correctly to achieve a pass?
    Is the requirements from stage one what they will be basing and assessing you on or is it a different qualifying score required at stage two in order to pass and progress on to stage 3 ?

Good questions. In my head I am writing off 5 questions in calculations so you'd imagine 75% would be a pass but I don't know if its that simple. The verbal is even more important as it goes toward your OOM. I've no idea why but Im abit more confident about the verbal after stage two.

I was in the middle third for assessment questionnaire and top third for situational judgement. I know both of these will also count toward the OOM for stage three.

Its all guess work until the results come out but its good to have this forum to discuss things!

Well ya your right we can come up with all sort of assumptions,on what is required to achieve a pass.
    Ive been told that PAS assessment mark is set at 40%for a candidate to pass but I feel this might be a tad on the low side.
    On the other hand when you take into consideration the required scores from the assessments on stage one and work it out.
    You could assume it is 12 Q's for the calculations and 17/18 for verbal reasoning but as you rightly say it is a gussessing game really,unless you know excatly how it is worked out.
    I'm sure some one on here knows how it is worked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lfcsean101

I want this so bad I really hope i didnt mess up stage 2

• Advertisement

I want this so bad I really hope i didnt mess up stage 2

Same here. I’m worried about the physical to be honest.. it would kill me to get that far and to be told it’s game over at that stage..

Has anyone started training or are you all fairly fit anyway??
    I used to to train 5 times a week but fell off the wagon last summer.. so have a bit of work to do to get my levels back up..

• Registered Users Posts: 21 StefanSage

Same here. I’m worried about the physical to be honest.. it would kill me to get that far and to be told it’s game over at that stage..

Has anyone started training or are you all fairly fit anyway??
    I used to to train 5 times a week but fell off the wagon last summer.. so have a bit of work to do to get my levels back up..

Just did mine today. Worried mostly about the calculation aspect, flu through the verbal one.

Hopefully we all get through to the next stage.

Gonna start training from tomorrow. My physical form is unexistent. Haven't lifted a weight in 3 years properly. But with some hard work we can all get to the right level before the physical stage. 100%

How did you manage to fall out of a train btw :D?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Matk

Completed test today also, not confident!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Abbey127

Don't worry all anyone can do is there best always next time if anyone doesn't get through. They will be recruiting again. Stage 3 interview is still very hard to get through.

StefanSage wrote: »
    Just did mine today. Worried mostly about the calculation aspect, flu through the verbal one.

Hopefully we all get through to the next stage.

Gonna start training from tomorrow. My physical form is unexistent. Haven't lifted a weight in 3 years properly. But with some hard work we can all get to the right level before the physical stage. 100%

How did you manage to fall out of a train btw :D?

You just need a minimum pass in the calculation so hopefully u got that..

Didn’t notice that typo....

Get back on the train(ing) and u will be fine, but get the early one because I gave the shuttle runs a go and failed miserably. It’s not as easy as it’s sounds.. The weights part I’m not to concerned about, my strength is better than my fitness level..

Good to see you guys are keen.
    Starting a fitness programme in preparation for the PCT.
    Only another 3 possible 4 weeks to wait for the results of stage two.
    Then stage 3 hurdle to get over.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How is it the fitness end is so difficult...
    It's like they want a track star.

I would know many who can't run for sh1t.

I understand to get to situations that need a fast response but you would also be better off with collegues that are strong then fast and can't even stand in to help.

How difficult is it really?

Ive seen YouTube clips and they are very short and the candidate doesn't look to be running mad fast or overdoing themselves.

MSFT multi stage fitness test or beep test or bleep test.
    These are the common names of which this test is called.
    Originally it was over 20 meters but the test in which IPS candidates will under take is over 15meters I believe.
    It starts off at a moderate pace of which most people could walk briskly.
    Then the levels gradually increase.
    As you run between the two points.
    It is roughly 3.5minutes of jogging, covering about 45 shuttle runs between the two points.
    It's not difficult if you put in a little amount of training in preparation before hand.

MSFT multi stage fitness test or beep test or bleep test.
    These are the common names of which this test is called.
    Originally it was over 20 meters but the test in which IPS candidates will under take is over 15meters I believe.
    It starts off at a moderate pace of which most people could walk briskly.
    Then the levels gradually increase.
    As you run between the two points.
    It is roughly 3.5minutes of jogging, covering about 45 shuttle runs between the two points.
    It's not difficult if you put in a little amount of training in preparation before hand.

Has the requirements changed??
    I read it as 40, 15m shuttle runs in 3mins 30secs.. so my understanding was it was at ur own pace once u finished in the 3mins 30secs time frame..

You are probably right I was just giving a rough idea of how it works.
    Second part of the test Is called the push and pull test where you will be in a seated position and will do 5 repetitions of pushing the machine with what ever the required weight is away from your body and then 5 repetitions of pulling the machine towards your body with the same weight.
    Your arms will be shoulder width apart and you apply a tight grip the machine is operated by a pulley mechanism.
    Instead of the running around the cones in a speed and agility test .I think candidates are required to hold a fire extinguisher and run 40meters with it and back with out dropping it.
    Then you will be required to hold a shield roughly 8kg in weight for 1minute.

• Advertisement

How is it the fitness end is so difficult...
    It's like they want a track star.

I would know many who can't run for sh1t.

I understand to get to situations that need a fast response but you would also be better off with collegues that are strong then fast and can't even stand in to help.

How difficult is it really?

Ive seen YouTube clips and they are very short and the candidate doesn't look to be running mad fast or overdoing themselves.

I think most people will fail at the shuttle runs..
    Give them a try and see how u get on, I did and failed. My weakness is def running.. now I’m not at my fittest but wouldn’t be the unfittest person in the world either.

You are probably right I was just giving a rough idea of how it works.
    Second part of the test Is called the push and pull test where you will be in a seated position and will do 5 repetitions of pushing the machine with what ever the required weight is away from your body and then 5 repetitions of pulling the machine towards your body with the same weight.
    Your arms will be shoulder width apart and you apply a tight grip the machine is operated by a pulley mechanism.
    Instead of the running around the cones in a speed and agility test .I think candidates are required to hold a fire extinguisher and run 40meters with it and back with out dropping it.
    Then you will be required to hold a shield roughly 8kg in weight for 1minute.

I’m just gona aim to be able to run the 600m in 3.30 anyway so either way it should cover it..

Hopefully they will let us know what required exactly soon..

Well if you pass it then you do not have to do it again as it's not a requirement to do it annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 seanog3

Had the physical for the irish prison service yesterday and passed my number is in the 300 bracket from the 2016 campaign

Ahh so maybe you can tell us excatly what it consists of then so.
    Another question you may or may not know the answer to did they say when the next training course is starting?

seanog3 wrote: »
    Had the physical for the irish prison service yesterday and passed my number is in the 300 bracket from the 2016 campaign

Well done! Can you tell us more??

Well done! Can you tell us more??

Ya what questions do you want answered

Ahh so maybe you can tell us excatly what it consists of then so.
    Another question you may or may not know the answer to did they say when the next training course is starting?

Well the next class heading in is on the 11th of june . The physical isnt to bad but you would have to do a bit of training for it two people failed it yesterday on the run .

Ya what questions do you want answered

Just a run thru of what u had to do??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Well the next class heading in is on the 11th of june . The physical isnt to bad but you would have to do a bit of training for it two people failed it yesterday on the run .

Training in what way exactly?

Just wondering

Advertisement