Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post a video of your swing

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

the lawman wrote: »
    Yeah just copy what one of the best golfers and one of the most athletic swings in the world.....:rolleyes:

Or you could try a drill that will work for any body size, shape of athleticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiJNWvSMNvE

I think we all know we will never swing like Adam Scott but there is no reason why we cannot at least try copy his posture. These were not needed btw :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

Keano wrote: »
    I think we all know we will never swing like Adam Scott but there is no reason why we cannot at least try copy his posture. These were not needed btw :rolleyes:

I wasn't trying to have a go at all was just trying to help the poster out with more constructive advice.

Why did you delete your post where you called me a 'nice chap'?

Surely you attack the post and not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

nuts86 wrote: »
    Thanks Keano...

By athletic posture do you mean stand closer and more upright??

Think most pros would equate athletic posture in your set up as something similar to a goal keeper getting ready for a penalty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

nuts86 wrote: »
    Thanks Keano...

By athletic posture do you mean stand closer and more upright??

Personally*, if I have my weight a little too far back towards my heels at address, it's all too easy to lock out your right knee. So, I try to have my weight nearer the balls of my feet which creates a little tension the quadriceps.
    The other thing is if at address, you have a hollow at the small of your back, this could pitch your hips too far from horizontal. So, your right hip goes more up than around your body. I tend to do a "Michael Jackson" move at address. which has the added benefit of slightly unnerving your matchplay opponent :D:D

*Note, I'm not a golf pro just a randomer on a golf forum, if you want definitive advice, you should go see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

• Advertisement

Have clubs, will practice. A bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Have clubs, will practice. A bit of fun.
    [/YOUTUBE]

So much wrong with that swing it's hard to know where to start, but here goes anyway, shoulders open to target and hips square or slightly closed at address, club face overly open at the top of the swing, right knee straight and locked at top of swing and downswing starts with upper body and over the top move, other than that it's awesome;).

Yeah wasn't looking for your thoughts there hoofo but I was standing on side of a mountain in a gale and camera was off centre so angles do look off.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Yeah wasn't looking for your thoughts there hoofo but I was standing on side of a mountain in a gale and camera was off centre so angles do look off.
    Ah, the never ending list of excuses, never gets old:pac:

Never ending? Nope, it ends after about 3 items.

Good grief hoofo you're having a mare here.

• Advertisement

8 iron from earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Thread resurrection - two swings, one a manky shank, the other not, 1 after the other....

And the not shank

Be delighted if anyone could let me know where the shank came from - in my head i think the not shank swing had a slightly fuller shoulder turn...either way, anyone any ideas or drills that may help eliminate the shank?  This has crept into my swing over the last few outings (I dont play as much as I should anymore), and I'd love to get rid!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

As someone who only plays approximately six times per year, I was hesitant about posting a video of my swing here. Then I said, " What the hell, let's see what people think of it!" I tried to post the only video that I've ever of it, but I couldn't figure out how to.

So, good people, any tips on how to post it?

Wedgie wrote: »
    As someone who only plays approximately six times per year, I was hesitant about posting a video of my swing here. Then I said, " What the hell, let's see what people think of it!" I tried to post the only video that I've ever of it, but I couldn't figure out how to.

So, good people, any tips on how to post it?

Best way to do it is to set up an account on YouTube & upload a public video on there. You can then take the YouTube link & use the YouTube tags to post it on here.

I don't think I used the word YouTube enough in the above sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Coddlesangers, I'm no pro but what I think i notice between the two swings is that for the one you shank;

You are closer to the ball and your stance looks more closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Thread resurrection - two swings, one a manky shank, the other not, 1 after the other....

And the not shank

Be delighted if anyone could let me know where the shank came from - in my head i think the not shank swing had a slightly fuller shoulder turn...either way, anyone any ideas or drills that may help eliminate the shank?  This has crept into my swing over the last few outings (I dont play as much as I should anymore), and I'd love to get rid!

1. Colour your practice balls with marker: this will leave a mark on the face to see exactly where you're striking on the face.
    2. Put a row of tees about an inch/ inch and half outside the golf ball (a line parallel to your stance on the far side of the ball) and hit shots without moving the tees.
    3. From my experience, the unmentionables comes from two things: either swinging too flat and leading with the hosel when striking the ball (if you do this, you'll notice the tees past the ball in the line get hit) or coming "over the top" where your downswing is out to in because your hips slide rather than turn (you'll notice the tees in the line before the ball get hit)

From your clip, my guess is the first one (leading with the hosel) because your swing is using a lot of hand action.

A slightly more upright swing and good hip turn to start the downswing should help with a little less "hands". Good luck, they're a bad dose...

Best way to do it is to set up an account on YouTube & upload a public video on there. You can then take the YouTube link & use the YouTube tags to post it on here.

I don't think I used the word YouTube enough in the above sentence

Too much work, couldn't be arsed, but thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

2. Put a row of tees about an inch/ inch and half outside the golf ball (a line parallel to your stance on the far side of the ball) and hit shots without moving the tees.
    3. From my experience, the unmentionables comes from two things: either swinging too flat and leading with the hosel when striking the ball (if you do this, you'll notice the tees past the ball in the line get hit) or coming "over the top" where your downswing is out to in because your hips slide rather than turn (you'll notice the tees in the line before the ball get hit)

From your clip, my guess is the first one (leading with the hosel) because your swing is using a lot of hand action.

A slightly more upright swing and good hip turn to start the downswing should help with a little less "hands". Good luck, they're a bad dose...

Thanks very much, that makes a lot of sense.  Will give it a go.

I hope this works.

https://youtu.be/GPgN4QkzpHc

Fixed it for you wedgie:

if you quote my post you'll see how to do it yourself going forwards

• Advertisement

Fixed it for you wedgie:

Many thanks for that.

Now, to play a bit more, and possibly get a lesson or two to try a become a bit more consistent. Then again, not being able to play that often probably negates the expense of lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

Fixed it for you wedgie:

Many thanks for that.

Now, to play a bit more, and possibly get a lesson or two to try a become a bit more consistent.  Then again, not being able to play that often probably negates the expense of lessons.
    Is that the 9th @ Araluen Wedgie? Brave playing a driver down that hill haha! I normally let a 7 run to avoid the water.

Is that the 9th @ Araluen Wedgie? Brave playing a driver down that hill haha! I normally let a 7 run to avoid the water.

It is indeed!

I took a nice easy swing, and left it just short of the water. Pitching wedge over, and two putts for a par.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Just realized how hard it is to get good angles when using your phone without a tripod
    Anyway here's a 5 iron and 3 wood face on

https://youtu.be/9X5GQSBRI1M

https://youtu.be/pycN-r7nljk

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

RoadRunner wrote: »
    If it works for rikand ;)

Only seen this now. Its a great routine for posture. I needed it bad and it's my address routine ever since. Since making the change I have lost distance off the tee but gained so much more in consistency and accuracy. Knock on effects heh

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Another thread resurrection. Be kind, I'm off 21 :D . Currently trying to lower trajectory as everything goes up hard and back down just as hard. Terrible in this plugging weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

pakman wrote: »

Another thread resurrection. Be kind, I'm off 21 :D . Currently trying to lower trajectory as everything goes up hard and back down just as hard. Terrible in this plugging weather.

You have a bit of a flip at the ball which also leads to a chicken wing finish, your hands get closer to your body around/after impact rather than extending out towards the target direction (not to the target, they should actually be left of it) (take a look at the Capture img I attached)

At address try not to have your arms so close together, your elbows should be facing each other more, not towards the sky, this will also help to open your shoulders a bit and allow you to swing more freely.
    You are a bit like this:
    http://worldsbestgolfdestinations.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Alicante-2006-2065.jpg which will tense you up and cause lack of distance.

Flipping will lead to way too much dynamic loft and assuming you time it so that you dont thin it, you will get a high, weak slice.
    Try to keep your hands ahead of the ball at impact.

Nice tempo & balance though, keep it up!

GreeBo wrote: »
    You have a bit of a flip at the ball which also leads to a chicken wing finish, your hands get closer to your body around/after impact rather than extending out towards the target direction (not to the target, they should actually be left of it) (take a look at the Capture img I attached)

At address try not to have your arms so close together, your elbows should be facing each other more, not towards the sky, this will also help to open your shoulders a bit and allow you to swing more freely.
    You are a bit like this:
    http://worldsbestgolfdestinations.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Alicante-2006-2065.jpg which will tense you up and cause lack of distance.

Flipping will lead to way too much dynamic loft and assuming you time it so that you dont thin it, you will get a high, weak slice.
    Try to keep your hands ahead of the ball at impact.

Nice tempo & balance though, keep it up!

cheers. I do keep the arms quite close because I read it in Ben Hogans five lessons but I see your point. I'll try and less bunched up swing next time.

Lessons match up with what you are saying too but I find it really hard to get hands ahead of ball without awful outcome so never bring it to the course. that and shortening my backswing are my big things to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

pakman wrote: »
    cheers. I do keep the arms quite close because I read it in Ben Hogans five lessons but I see your point. I'll try and less bunched up swing next time.

Lessons match up with what you are saying too but I find it really hard to get hands ahead of ball without awful outcome so never bring it to the course. that and shortening my backswing are my big things to work on.

Naturally close is good just dint force them together so much that your shoulders are hunched.

Do you hit a lot of shanks?
    When you try to stop flipping what is the issue, thins?

I think you might have a few things gong on, all related.

You do slightly over swing, by itself this is no biggie, but I suspect it's causing a reverse pivot, you seem to have weight on your front for at the top of your backswing. This is probably in an effort to sing longer, but it's counter productive.

On the downswing your weight goes to your toes, your heels come off the ground, you stand up, flip your wrists and you get closer to the ball. A.k.a you hump the goat/early extend.

This is a real death move for consistency.
    You flip because if you didn't you'd miss the ball due to the early extension. You early extend because the flip throws your balance to your toes, if you didn't stand up you'd fall over.

You need to work on staying in posture, keeping your chest over the ball and your ass out at impact. If you do this and flip you will hit the ground a foot behind the ball. Flipping is also throwing your balance towards the ball, bringing in the shanks unless you time the flip well.

Note that It can all come together and work but you will never be consistent.

I would try with on the following:
    Shorten the swing, it will feel like a half swing but it won't be!
    Try to keep your right foot on the ground longer, you should be rolling to the inside more than standing on the toes.
    Stay over the ball with your chest longer, swing with an alignment stick or your bag against your butt and try keep out there until impact. If you early extend you will lose contact.

If you do these the flip will take care of itself.

If you are getting more lessons then talk to the pro before going on a solo swing overhaul, is very hard to know what you are doing yourself, feel isn't real and all that.

Feel free to post more videos.

Enjoy!

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Naturally close is good just dint force them together so much that your shoulders are hunched.

Do you hit a lot of shanks?
    When you try to stop flipping what is the issue, thins?

I think you might have a few things gong on, all related.

You do slightly over swing, by itself this is no biggie, but I suspect it's causing a reverse pivot, you seem to have weight on your front for at the top of your backswing. This is probably in an effort to sing longer, but it's counter productive.

On the downswing your weight goes to your toes, your heels come off the ground, you stand up, flip your wrists and you get closer to the ball. A.k.a you hump the goat/early extend.

This is a real death move for consistency.
    You flip because if you didn't you'd miss the ball due to the early extension. You early extend because the flip throws your balance to your toes, if you didn't stand up you'd fall over.

You need to work on staying in posture, keeping your chest over the ball and your ass out at impact. If you do this and flip you will hit the ground a foot behind the ball. Flipping is also throwing your balance towards the ball, bringing in the shanks unless you time the flip well.

Note that It can all come together and work but you will never be consistent.

I would try with on the following:
    Shorten the swing, it will feel like a half swing but it won't be!
    Try to keep your right foot on the ground longer, you should be rolling to the inside more than standing on the toes.
    Stay over the ball with your chest longer, swing with an alignment stick or your bag against your butt and try keep out there until impact. If you early extend you will lose contact.

If you do these the flip will take care of itself.

If you are getting more lessons then talk to the pro before going on a solo swing overhaul, is very hard to know what you are doing yourself, feel isn't real and all that.

Feel free to post more videos.

Enjoy!

Lots to take in but you seem to be hitting a lot of the problems I do experience around consistency. I think the flip might come from me trying to keep the grip very loose so I turned over the club.

A quick, and cautious :D , google for 'humping the goat' looks like you've hit it on the head. Thats my swing all over. I'll have a word with the pro next time I have a lesson. Thanks again, I might post again if I make some progress.

Advertisement