Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread III: Les Miserables SEE MOD WARNING POST #1924 + #2755

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

Ardillaun wrote: »
    How much advice is given to players once they get on provincial teams? The change in status can disorientate some people as they become targets for all sorts of attention. I guess one can't be too paternalistic these days but a few sessions with sports figures who got into trouble and learned their lessons the hard way might be useful.
    Anyway the Glasgow game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Yes, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Can someone tell me or pm me the murray/zebo thing. I've either blanked it never heard it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

racso1975 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me or pm me the murray/zebo thing. I've either blanked it never heard it!!

They had sex with a young woman at the same time, it all came out in the media and she said she regretted it but there was a video of it proving consent.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/woman-has-regrets-over-alleged-rugby-stars-tryst-29453848.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

Jack O'Connel signs for Ealing, You'd like to think Ulster had spoke with him. Not as if we're ripping tree's up at loose head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Ardillaun wrote: »
    How much advice is given to players once they get on provincial teams? The change in status can disorientate some people as they become targets for all sorts of attention. I guess one can't be too paternalistic these days but a few sessions with sports figures who got into trouble and learned their lessons the hard way might be useful.

The problems start long before players reach provinces imo. Anyone who went to a rugby playing school (I did, and worse still it was all boys) will probably attest as I can to witnessing a very entitled and "lad" culture amongst players. Same thing with soccer tbh. Honestly thought that kind of attitude would have been coached out of professional players, but apparently not at Ulster anyway. Perhaps provides an extra insight into why some Ulster players have struggled to get into Ireland squads even though they seem to have the form to do so, though I have no reason to suspect that other than the good character displayed by Schmidt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

launish116 wrote: »
    Jack O'Connel signs for Ealing, You'd like to think Ulster had spoke with him. Not as if we're ripping tree's up at loose head.

Shame. He was gearing up to be a very decent loosehead but would have struggled at Leinster due to the presence of Healy and McGrath. I felt he should have gone to Ulster when leaving Dublin and would have earned a significant amount of game time.

It looks like he has gone backwards if anything now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This whole situation is a total mess but I suppose if there's anything good to come of it, if you can look beyond all the wailing on twitter, it's kicked off a proper discussion on consent. There's been some excellent stuff on Off The Ball, Second Captains, and I'm sure elsewhere too. Just hopefully it doesn't get lost in all the noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

This whole situation is a total mess but I suppose if there's anything good to come of it, if you can look beyond all the wailing on twitter, it's kicked off a proper discussion on consent. There's been some excellent stuff on Off The Ball, Second Captains, and I'm sure elsewhere too. Just hopefully it doesn't get lost in all the noise.

Agree

Hopefully it will change the way these cases are reported also. No twitter live updates, no reporting any of the evidence given in the courtroom till a verdict is reached

This was the case for the pre-hearings between September and December and as a result none of the SJW brigade had any idea about it until the rags started reporting the trial itself

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Within an hour of the trial verdict irfu announced jackson and Olding remained suspended pending a review

Now there is 30000 signatures on a petition imploring the IRFU to hold a review into the behaviour of jackson, Olding, McIlroy and harrison.

Goes to show you just how much attention people protesting the verdict actual pay to the actual details. They didnt even know two of them have nothing to do with the irfu

• Advertisement

I wonder would McIlroy have tried to qualify to play for the US? I'm sure he still could if he returns? Was a very good under 20s player

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

jr86 wrote: »
    Agree

Hopefully it will change the way these cases are reported also. No twitter live updates, no reporting any of the evidence given in the courtroom till a verdict is reached

This was the case for the pre-hearings between September and December and as a result none of the SJW brigade had any idea about it until the rags started reporting the trial itself

Well I'm nearly positive that the live twitter updates would have been forbidden in an Irish court, and that seems right to me.
    Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Within an hour of the trial verdict irfu announced jackson and Olding remained suspended pending a review

Now there is 30000 signatures on a petition imploring the IRFU to hold a review into the behaviour of jackson, Olding, McIlroy and harrison.

Goes to show you just how much attention people protesting the verdict actual pay to the actual details. They didnt even know two of them have nothing to do with the irfu

I know, absolutely desperate stuff. I'm sure people will believe the petition actually prompted the review as well. I've also been astonished that a very large number of people can't seem to get it through their head that this trial was conducted in the North, in Britain, and not in Ireland.

I wonder would McIlroy have tried to qualify to play for the US? I'm sure he still could if he returns? Was a very good under 20s player
    Pretty sure time spent as a student in a country doesn't contribute to residency. He'd be starting at square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Well I'm nearly positive that the live twitter updates would have been forbidden in an Irish court, and that seems right to me.

I know, absolutely desperate stuff. I'm sure people will believe the petition actually prompted the review as well. I've also been astonished that a very large number of people can't seem to get it through their head that this trial was conducted in the North, in Britain, and not in Ireland.

Their identity would have been protected in an Irish court.

Buer wrote: »
    Pretty sure time spent as a student in a country doesn't contribute to residency. He'd be starting at square one.

Ah right fair enough. Wasn't he living with AJ McGinty though? Was he on a student scholarship too or actually working there?

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    Their identity would have been protected in an Irish court.

In fairness, it would have been fairly obvious they were facing trial when stood down by the IRFU

Maybe McIlroy and Harrison would still be anonymous

There wasn't a word in the build up during the pre-hearings from the mob, and even when Olding got acquitted of Vaginal rape in December no-one took notice, yet when the live reports and updates started from the crown court the bandwagoners took notice and began their crusade

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mebuntu wrote: »
    If important decisions are made based on the comments of the idiots that are on Twitter or Facebook then we are in a bad place.

Any of them of age can vote. That's a much worse proposition than anything affecting sport tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

In fairness, it would have been fairly obvious they were facing trial when stood down by the IRFU

There wasn't a word in the build up during the pre-hearings from the mob, and even when Olding got acquitted of Vaginal rape in December no-one took notice, yet when the live reports and updates started from the crown court the bandwagoners took notice and began their crusade

It is possible that details from the courtroom may never have been made public. .For sure McIlroy and Harrison would have been unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

In using words like "mob", "bandwagoners", and "crusade" you're just belying your own attitude as being as equally emotional and angry-headed as the people you're insulting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

MJohnston wrote: »
    Honestly thought that kind of attitude would have been coached out of professional players, but apparently not at Ulster anyway. Perhaps provides an extra insight into why some Ulster players have struggled to get into Ireland squads even though they seem to have the form to do so

And so the actions of 2 players are enough to tar a whole squad with? Players like Gilroy, Cave etc have struggled to get into Ireland squads because of their attitude towards women? The bible group that was started by Paul Marshall, Trimble etc sit around discussing how they are "top shaggers".
    Did Murray and Zebo have a good attitude when they decided to film themselves going at it with a young one (consensual I'm aware but the respect towards the girl in question was low).
    The 2 lads haven't been convicted of a crime. Their messages were very bad form and their choice of language was disgusting but let's not cod ourselves that every rugby player in the Ireland squad has a phone full of pictures of fluffy cats and messages of love to their mums.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    And so the actions of 2 players are enough to tar a whole squad with? Players like Gilroy, Cave etc have struggled to get into Ireland squads because of their attitude towards women? The bible group that was started by Paul Marshall, Trimble etc sit around discussing how they are "top shaggers".
    Did Murray and Zebo have a good attitude when they decided to film themselves going at it with a young one (consensual I'm aware but the respect towards the girl in question was low).
    The 2 lads haven't been convicted of a crime. Their messages were very bad form and their choice of language was disgusting but let's not cod ourselves that every rugby player in the Ireland squad has a phone full of pictures of fluffy cats and messages of love to their mums.

Fully agree with your overall sentiments, but Jackson sent two messages in that long timeline joe.ie produced

"There was a lot of spit" and the other was about the Northern Ireland team being out the night before

• Subscribers Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ive a big issue with the transcripts of the texts and whats app.

none that ive seen have the emojiis included, and they are a HUGE indicator of the tone of a text.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

mfceiling wrote: »

Fully agree with your overall sentiments, but Jackson sent two messages in that long timeline joe.ie produced

"There was a lot of spit" and the other was about the Northern Ireland team being out the night before

Yeah this has been completely lost in the aftermath that Jackson had very little input into the WhatsApp messages.

Yeah this has been completely lost in the aftermath that Jackson had very little input into the WhatsApp messages.
    Frankly, I doubt that makes any difference to those who are up in arms. This is a hysterical, social media driven reaction. Facts and logic are going to be for removed from the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Frankly, I doubt that makes any difference to those who are up in arms. This is a hysterical, social media driven reaction. Facts and logic are going to be for removed from the process.
    Standing back a bit from it, there are a number of issues that have arisen from this. Firstly the lack of anonymity for the accused, something that happens here. Then there's the abysmally low conviction rate in rape cases. This case has just highlighted some of these issues and if you asked people what they were up in arms about, you could take your pick of a number of issues that are definitely worrying.

And of course you'd get a fair cross-section of uninformed opionions. Like you'd get anywhere tbh.

launish116 wrote: »

Shame. He was gearing up to be a very decent loosehead but would have struggled at Leinster due to the presence of Healy and McGrath. I felt he should have gone to Ulster when leaving Dublin and would have earned a significant amount of game time.

It looks like he has gone backwards if anything now.

Real shame! He has been getting a good 30 mins a game. But benching behind Tonga Uiha. Would of been an upgrade, missing signings like this crack me up! Think Connacht had approached him, but opted for going to Ealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Standing back a bit from it, there are a number of issues that have arisen from this. Firstly the lack of anonymity for the accused, something that happens here. Then there's the abysmally low conviction rate in rape cases. This case has just highlighted some of these issues and if you asked people what they were up in arms about, you could take your pick of a number of issues that are definitely worrying.

And of course you'd get a fair cross-section of uninformed opionions. Like you'd get anywhere tbh.

My only gripe with the whole thing which we can't really elaborate on here, is what exactly constitutes forensic evidence of non consent?

People are too polarized now for a rational debate on that.

I think the WhatsApp thing is just being used as a straw man. My sample size of admittedly about 6 women are concerned about the forensic evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Will Addison has signed for ye.

Plays in the backs for Sale Sharks and is already Irish qualified.

Will Addison signed from Sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Great signing, he wasn't too far off getting an England call up in 2016, and is a great placekicker too. Club captain this season also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement