Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread III: Les Miserables SEE MOD WARNING POST #1924 + #2755

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭launish116

MJohnston wrote: »
    Addison's signing has got to be taken as a sign of the future of Olding at the very least.
    Wing/fullback as well! so hoping he slots in with Ludik and at least gets a run in one position. Not sure it is a hint at Olding, we're becoming very light in the backs ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Addison's signing has got to be taken as a sign of the future of Olding at the very least.

Unfortunately I'd say it may be more of a reflection of the future of Jared Payne as Addison is a centre/fb/wing. But who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Yeah with Payne, Bowe and Trimble winding down and Piutau gone it could be cover there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

launish116 wrote: »
    A’s match being lived stream on Ulster site tomorrow. Might be worth a watch to see our academy players.

Ulster A team to play Bedford Blues, Saturday 31st March at Goldington Road, 3.00pm:

(1-8): Tommy O'Hagan, Adam McBurney, Ross Kane (Capt), Matthew Dalton, Peter Browne, Marcus Rea, Clive Ross, Greg Jones;
    (9-15): David Shanahan, Peter Nelson, Aaron Cairns, Angus Curtis, Callum Patterson, Angus Kernohan, Jack Owens.

Replacements: Alexander Clarke, Eric O'Sullivan, Tom O'Toole, Jack Regan, Matthew Agnew, Jonny Stewart, James Hume.

Who are the ones to keep an eye on out of this group?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

This is not even nearly true. If you call an individual a rapist on Twitter for example and they sue you for defamation then you have to demonstrate that they are a rapist. Having grounds to think it is not good enough.

Actually, having grounds to think it can be good enough. It is called the "Honest Opinion" defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This is not even nearly true. If you call an individual a rapist on Twitter for example and they sue you for defamation then you have to demonstrate that they are a rapist. Having grounds to think it is not good enough.

You don't though. You just use the defense of "honest opinion". It's right there in the statute.

The point of law I'm not familiar with is whether someone one had to be convicted of rape to be a rapist. And I don't think they do - I don't think it's a protected term. "presumption of innocence" doesn't apply to normal citizens only the state and employers etc.

Just for everyone's benefit. I am talking in hypothetical here. AOR never called him a rapist, so that's irrelevant.

(just a quick note, boards is super sensitive on libel because of being sued over the festival thing. But that was all before the current defamation act which is from 09. Even still they're right to steer well clear of defamation.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

errlloyd wrote: »
    You don't though. You just use the defense of "honest opinion". It's right there in the statute.

The point of law I'm not familiar with is whether someone one had to be convicted of rape to be a rapist. And I don't think they do - I don't think it's a protected term. "presumption of innocence" doesn't apply to normal citizens only the state and employers etc.

Just for everyone's benefit. I am talking in hypothetical here. AOR never called him a rapist, so that's irrelevant.

(just a quick note, boards is super sensitive on libel because of being sued over the festival thing. But that was all before the current defamation act which is from 09. Even still they're right to steer well clear of defamation.)

Honest opinion doesn't get you off if the jury don't believe your opinion is based in fact.

I'm not a lawyer but I have actually been a juror on a defamation trial.

• Administrators Posts: 53,370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think that's enough on the theory of libel for now. Please only discuss the reported facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

awec wrote: »
    I think that's enough on the theory of libel for now. Please only discuss the reported facts.

Understood.

chupacabra wrote: »
    A’s match being lived stream on Ulster site tomorrow. Might be worth a watch to see our academy players.

Ulster A team to play Bedford Blues, Saturday 31st March at Goldington Road, 3.00pm:

(1-8): Tommy O'Hagan, Adam McBurney, Ross Kane (Capt), Matthew Dalton, Peter Browne, Marcus Rea, Clive Ross, Greg Jones;
    (9-15): David Shanahan, Peter Nelson, Aaron Cairns, Angus Curtis, Callum Patterson, Angus Kernohan, Jack Owens.

Replacements: Alexander Clarke, Eric O'Sullivan, Tom O'Toole, Jack Regan, Matthew Agnew, Jonny Stewart, James Hume.

Who are the ones to keep an eye on out of this group?
    • Curtis was the stand out at 12 for U20's. He has big potential! Peeps being worrying about his size.
    • Dalton been benching seniors. Big, mobile and aggressive.
    • O'Toole is big and mobile for a tighthead, likes to carry.
    • Agnew didn't see much of him at U20's, but played opened side. Couple decent turnovers! 
    • Tommy O'hagan - will he help our loose head dilemma? just wanna see him play and see why he hasn't benched for seniors
    • McBurney - was ear marked since the last U20's but seen very little of him
    • Clarke - similiar, curious to see how he gets on
    • Hume - played U20 this year and has been mentioned as a future star.

All in all I'm just looking forward to watch future potential seniors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Does this selection mean Hume kernoghan etc are not bring picked for Irish 19's? Or is their fixture list over at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Does this selection mean Hume kernoghan etc are not bring picked for Irish 19's? Or is their fixture list over at present?
    Possibly not being picked for 19s. 19s have 2 games against France next week. There will be quite a few changes made for those games with players from other clubs/schools picked who were not available for games 1/2 due to schools cup finals etc

Scholes has extended his stay at Connacht, sadly! If he could regain his leaving form, would have him back.
    Coulson confirmed leaving Connacht also, one for Ulster? We need a loosehead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Scholes has extended his stay at Connacht, sadly! If he could regain his leaving form, would have him back.

Heard Jackson and Olding are England bound to the same club. It would be unlikely they sign Coulson as he was accused of the same thing the 2 guys were in France.

blackdog1 wrote: »

Heard Jackson and Olding are England bound to the same club. It would be unlikely they sign Coulson as he was accused of the same thing the 2 guys were in France.

I think we've all heard the rumour about Jackson and Olding signing for an English club. I heard it was Exeter, others have hears another club. I'm not convinced. I'm not convinced they'd have been negotiating anything in the last few weeks/months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

bilston wrote: »
    I think we've all heard the rumour about Jackson and Olding signing for an English club. I heard it was Exeter, others have hears another club. I'm not convinced. I'm not convinced they'd have been negotiating anything in the last few weeks/months.

Heard Exeter too . Guess we'll find out soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Id imagine that a few clubs may have been in touch with their representatives to do some sounding but Id be very surprised if the two players got involved in any talks until this was done with. I'd hope they stick around but if they decided to move on you would have to understand them not wanting to hang around belfast.

I'd be happy if they left, then we could get back to focusing on the rest of the utter shïtshow that is Ulster Rugby circa 2018.

Complete random thought here but maybe it's some sort of swap deal.

I know absolutely nothing about Addison but the English on PR seem to think he's pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

I think they would have to go further afield than England. .There would be blue murder if they had to play on Irish soil. That is the way it looks at the moment.

#SuemePaddy now trending on twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

salmocab wrote: »
    Id imagine that a few clubs may have been in touch with their representatives to do some sounding but Id be very surprised if the two players got involved in any talks until this was done with. I'd hope they stick around but if they decided to move on you would have to understand them not wanting to hang around belfast.

I suspect Olding will go and can probably cope with the loss. Jackson would be a big loss though hopefully if he comes back and gets a few games in can persuade him to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    I think they would have to go further afield than England. .There would be blue murder if they had to play on Irish soil. That is the way it looks at the moment.

#SuemePaddy now trending on twitter.

Well if they went to France, just as likely they could return to Irish soil. Anyway, it will be weeks before the IRFU announce anything. Let people blow off steam...

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Brewster wrote: »
    Well if they went to France, just as likely they could return to Irish soil. Anyway, it will be weeks before the IRFU announce anything. Let people blow off steam...

They could go to Australia for a couple of years. .

If it was up to me they would be back in the Irish team tomorrow. .but feelings are running high down south . .I can't open my mouth FGS.

I have asked people to move on :mad:

And breathe .. . ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

They won't be playing for Ireland again as I doubt IRFU want the hassle together with sponsor issues. Also we have a great team going to a World Cup and playing them could have a destabilising effect. I am not saying the players would have an issue but the media would focus on it.

They won't be playing for Ireland again as I doubt IRFU want the hassle together with sponsor issues. Also we have a great team going to a World Cup and playing them could have a destabilising effect. I am not saying the players would have an issue but the media would focus on it.

Part of the reason I think Schmidt would be unlikely to ever pick either one of them for an Ireland squad again. It'd be a massive distraction, and I think those who say it will blow over soon are kidding themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

It’s not that straight forward. Lots and lots to consider here, not least that Paddy Jackson is still the 2nd best out half in the country... I am not expecting any clarification for a number of weeks, just a hunch.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It’s not that straight forward. Lots and lots to consider here, not least that Paddy Jackson is still the 2nd best out half in the country... I am not expecting any clarification for a number of weeks, just a hunch.

He hasnt played for almost two years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭RuMan

Part of the reason I think Schmidt would be unlikely to ever pick either one of them for an Ireland squad again. It'd be a massive distraction, and I think those who say it will blow over soon are kidding themselves.

I suspect it bill depend on form. It will be extremely hard for Jacko to get back to the same level but if he does I would hope he will be selected.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    He hasnt played for almost two years

Almost one year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement