Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast rape trial - all 4 found not guilty Mod Note post one

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

torqtorq wrote: »
    You have missed the point.

They have been found not guilty in a court law and should be treated as such.

They should be treated no different to Zebo and Murray.

While I agree they have been found innocent and should be let move on with their lives it is a very different situation. Never was an accusation made against the Munster lads and they shouldnt even be mentioned here.

It is no different to sex between any consenting adults, the Belfast case was very different to one of the parties

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

spookwoman wrote: »
    Please enlighten us all on the piece of evidence that proves us that this woman was not raped.

Brilliant, you want me to prove a negative. Like proving that there is NOT an Easter Bunny. You are not very good at this are you.

The piece of evidence? The juries decision taken, in under 4 hours.
    Not guilty verdict does not mean they did not do it, it just means there was not enough evidence to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Not guilty, means not guilty in the eyes of the law and the public. I.E they are innocent of wrong doings because there was not enough evidence to convict.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The case was dismissed due to insufficient evidence

Different to being found not guilty

Plus it doesn't mean she lied as so many eejits are claiming. They're nearly the very hardest of cases to prove and why so few move forward and why it will still continue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Sidebaro

Luxxis wrote:
    A court of law cares not what you believe. It only cares what you can prove

Exactly, and rape is quite hard to prove so already victims would be intimidated by reporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Rodin wrote: »
    The rule of law must be respected.

Protests like those planned tomorrow remind me of the Salem Witch trials. No respect for due process.
    Innocent until proven guilty? Not in these peoples' eyes.

Would #Ibelieveher group have believed this liar

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.boston.com/news/local-news/2018/02/21/case-continued-for-connecticut-college-student-accused-of-lying-about-rape/amp

Or this liar

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/03/27/college-student-pleads-guilty-to-lying-about-rape-on-campus/amp/

Or this liar

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thelocal.se/20180213/woman-admits-lying-about-malmo-rape/amp

Or this liar

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.theroot.com/woman-who-lied-to-police-about-3-black-men-raping-and-k-1823325223/amp

I thought 4 was enough. Took about 60seconds to find those 4.

#innocentuntilprovenguilty

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Faugheen wrote: »
    You could make the same argument towards those who are saying she's lying when there's no proof that she has, but they don't give a **** about it until it fits their narrative.

yes but if they were convicted its highly unlikely there would have been a 'she's lying' protest march or a #idon'tbelieveher twitter movement.

No but there would be many people suggesting that the verdict was wrong. It wouldn't be universally accepted like some would like to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

If you were Joe Schmidt would you be prepared to bring them on in the Aviva? A serious question. Would you expect boos from a large number in the ground.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong they play with Ireland or Ulster but are they worth the risk?

Murray/Zebo and girl consent given. No 9 week rape trial, no whatsapp messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

This case had the same problem as the tinder rape case. The friend went to the police and reported it but the story she was told left out some things that made the ‘victim’ look not so innocent. This ment that the reported story did not match from the start and there was reasonable doubt from the start but the police had to press charges as otherwise they would look like they were protecting the accused. The friend should have told the ‘victim’ that she was going to the police before she reported it so she could get the whole story. When I heard the only witness at the party walked in and saw what she though was a consensual threesome the case was over then and there as she was the only witness to see the act.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

No they're not, at all.

Only 1% of reported rape cases in Ireland end in conviction for the accused. Are you telling me that 99/100 women who report what happened to them to the police are more likely to be lying?

Don't be that person. It's set out in law that a not guilty verdict doesn't mean a complainants account wasn't believed, just there wasn't enough proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

Where are people getting this 1% from?

Noeleen Blackwell speaking on 2fm today said in 2016 of the 404 rape cases brought before the courts, 69% resulted in conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I am. She lied. She said she was raped. She said they forced her. She repeated this time and tome again. To the police, to the court.

But they didnt force her. She lied

Something can only be a lie if you know it to be untrue.

If she believes she was raped, then she believes she was raped. This could only be a "lie" if she knew what she was alleging was a totally invented story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Sidebaro wrote: »
    That is awful wording.

Also, there are thousands of people around the world that have been sexually abused and told nobody because of the fear of not being believed.

Yeah sure you know better: https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-rape-crisis-centre-belfast-trial-opened-up-widening-debate-on-meaning-of-rape-834713.html

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The rule of law must be respected.

Protests like those planned tomorrow remind me of the Salem Witch trials. No respect for due process.
    Innocent until proven guilty? Not in these peoples' eyes.

Would #Ibelieveher group have believed this liar

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.boston.com/news/local-news/2018/02/21/case-continued-for-connecticut-college-student-accused-of-lying-about-rape/amp

Or this liar

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/03/27/college-student-pleads-guilty-to-lying-about-rape-on-campus/amp/

Or this liar

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thelocal.se/20180213/woman-admits-lying-about-malmo-rape/amp

Or this liar

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.theroot.com/woman-who-lied-to-police-about-3-black-men-raping-and-k-1823325223/amp

I thought 4 was enough. Took about 60seconds to find those 4.

#innocentuntilprovenguilty

You know what all of those cases have in common?

Nobody was charged in connection with rape. These were unravelled by police before anyone was falsely charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

irishrebe wrote: »
    The UK is part of NI? If this is your level of education, no wonder you're so confused.

Erm, unless there has been a border poll in the last 5 minutes, eh Yes, Northern Ireland IS part of the UK....

UK-flag-conponants.png

It is not I who is confused.

You are aware that abortion is also illegal in Northern Ireland, yes?

Yes, I am, hence why I said, the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

No point missed.
    Zebo and murray had a consensual threesome the woman who did not accuse them of rape etc. There was a video made that proves this. also they were not charged and brought before the courts on rape charges.

Jackson and the others were and even thought they were found no guilty there is still the question of did they actually do it which hangs over them. There is also the stories about their questionable behavior on other occasions. That is why the IRFU and ulster rugby are continuing their investigations/review.
    If the stories of their previous behavior is true no one would want that associated with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Where are people getting this 1% from?

Noeleen Blackwell speaking on 2fm today said in 2016 of the 404 rape cases brought before the courts, 69% resulted in conviction.

she also came out on newstalk last year that all men are rapists and that in all cases where one person has drink taken then its the mans fault. it doesnt matter if the person with drink is male or female . i wouldnt use her as a standard for anything worth while.

zom wrote:
    Yeah sure you know better:

? Think you'll have to explain that a bit better, gone way over my head. What are you referring to?

You know what all of those cases have in common?

Nobody was charged in connection with rape. These were unravelled by police before anyone was falsely charged.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/true-stories/student-liam-allans-rape-charges-scrapped-after-40000-messages-from-accuser-revealed-in-court/news-story/4d2a6cdb2414427fab5dc69df62d4bc8

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/nypost.com/2009/12/07/woman-confesses-to-lying-about-rape-story-that-sent-man-to-prison/amp/

That makes 6 false rape accusations. A man even went to jail in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

sporina wrote: »
    how is the jury selected? like 8 men and 3 women - surely it should have been equal gender wise?

theres a panel of jurors selected at random. Defence and prosecution can object to a certain amount or judge may decide they cannot be impartial (e.g. a man who is an Ulster rugby season ticket holder).

Should we have gender balance like 6 men and 6 women?
    Should we have 6 Catholics and 6 protestants?
    Should we have 1-2 LBGT people?
    Should we have a traveller?
    The whole point is that you shouldn't be biased and are objective. If you were to go down the route of 50/50 gender then the above combinations may also have to be adhered to and we'd never get to a valid jury

• Registered Users Posts: 19,139 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not guilty eh?

Sure poor oul' Al Capone only forgot to pay a bit of his tax

I mean that's the only thing he was ever convicted of.

Must mean he never did anything else wrong, yeah?

And you're just waiting for your indictments to arrive. :pac:

Presidential pardon losers :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I don’t know who to believe to be honest and don’t know what to make of it. The whole scenario in the bedroom sounds messed up to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

NAGDEFI wrote: »
    If you were Joe Schmidt would you be prepared to bring them on in the Aviva? A serious question. Would you expect boos from a large number in the ground.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong they play with Ireland or Ulster but are they worth the risk?

Murray/Zebo and girl consent given. No 9 week rape trial, no whatsapp messages.
    Bigger issue is if anyone is found NOT guilty of any crime should they be entitled to resume their career/profession?

It's not even up for discussion, of course they should be resuming their Rugby career without any prejudice. There will be implications for the IRFU no matter what their decision but it would set a very dangerous precedent for an employer to sack any man cleared of a crime such as rape

Their private Whatsapp messages were poor reading but not remotely sackable

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

markodaly wrote: »
    Brilliant, you want me to prove a negative. Like proving that there is NOT an Easter Bunny. You are not very good at this are you.

The piece of evidence? The juries decision taken, in under 4 hours.

Not guilty, means not guilty in the eyes of the law and the public. I.E they are innocent of wrong doings because there was not enough evidence to convict.
    Video evidence could be proof of her not getting raped. Do you have that go to the police..
    Have a read of this from a solicitors about the meaning of not guilty. It's what I've been saying.
    https://businessandlegal.ie/not-guilty-does-not-mean-innocent-in-criminal-law

The text messages she sent read to me like they went through a lot of drafts.

As someone who has gotten a text like that before from a girl compared to that message, I’m sorry but it does sound scripted.

It's not exactly the same kind of text as 'where are you?', so if there were a lot of drafts I think it's understandable.

Not everybody is the same. There's no right and wrong way to send such a message. Just because it didn't seem like the same type message as the girl you know sent doesn't mean that it's automatically 'scripted'. I assume by scripted you mean a lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Still don't see the complainer identified.
    On the note of their careers, a # should be setup in support of them like #theirnextcap

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Bigger issue is if anyone is found NOT guilty of any crime should they be entitled to resume their career/profession?

It's not even up for discussion, of course they should be resuming their Rugby career without any prejudice. There will be implications for the IRFU no matter what their decision but it would set a very dangerous precedent for an employer to sack any man cleared of a crime such as rape

Their private Whatsapp messages were poor reading but not remotely sackable

Should be entitled to compensation if they have lost earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

she also came out on newstalk last year that all men are rapists and that in all cases where one person has drink taken then its the mans fault. it doesnt matter if the person with drink is male or female . i wouldnt use her as a standard for anything worth while.

Just curious at where the 1% came from.

She sounds like a total whack job. How the hell can someone like that, be Chief Executive of the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

policy75 wrote: »
    Without saying who is guilty and who is not guilty how was it that the defendants names were all over the news but the accusers name was kept under wraps. Surely that is unfair?

Agreed... and does anyone know why the witnesses were able to be named in the media? I don't think I ever seen that before and yet all media outlets were openly naming the three female witnesses, for example. Did they wave their anominity or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Just curious at where the 1% came from.

She sounds like a total whack job. How the hell can someone like that, be Chief Executive of the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre.

i dont know where they pull those open ended percentages from. nobody could guess how many people are raped and dont report or domestic violence or break the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Anyone have an interactive map of Ireland showing the separate jurisdictions and legal systems of NI and RoI? There are a lot of clowns on twitter in need of a basic geography lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Appledreams15

Protests organised all over the country tomorrow now between 12.30 and 13.30

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement