Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast rape trial - all 4 found not guilty Mod Note post one

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Protests organised all over the country tomorrow now between 12.30 and 13.30

Protests for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭C__MC

Prime time now

If it’s about the dignity of the girl and her bravery and wondering how the lads got off, I’ll go f***ing spare.

The lads have been acquitted, there was no rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Bigger issue is if anyone is found NOT guilty of any crime should they be entitled to resume their career/profession?

It's not even up for discussion, of course they should be resuming their Rugby career without any prejudice. There will be implications for the IRFU no matter what their decision but it would set a very dangerous precedent for an employer to sack any man cleared of a crime such as rape

Their private Whatsapp messages were poor reading but not remotely sackable

I agree. Only rape not guilty verdicts are not black and white. An awful lot of people will be very unhappy to see them in Ulster or Irish jerseys. I'm looking at it from the practical point of view of their managers etc. The moral/ethical question.. Where to start. They were found innocent. But the innocence is legal. Many will feel it's an innocence resulting in lack of evidence for the prosecution.

Personally i'd like to see them play again for province and country but can't see it happening.

The whatsapp messages will always be in my mind about the duo too.

For what exactly?

Protests for what exactly? The lads were found not guilty so do we want to get a new jury and go through the full trial again until we get the result we want or are we protesting because men should automatically be jailed if accused of rape?
    Maybe, just maybe the lads were found not guilty because they simply didn't rape the young one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Protests looking to achieve what?

Should they not be protesting up north? Or at the UK embassy at least?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Rodin wrote: »
    Faugheen wrote: »
    You know what all of those cases have in common?

Nobody was charged in connection with rape. These were unravelled by police before anyone was falsely charged.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/true-stories/student-liam-allans-rape-charges-scrapped-after-40000-messages-from-accuser-revealed-in-court/news-story/4d2a6cdb2414427fab5dc69df62d4bc8

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/nypost.com/2009/12/07/woman-confesses-to-lying-about-rape-story-that-sent-man-to-prison/amp/

That makes 6 false rape accusations. man even went to jail in one.

That's fair enough.

It still doesn't prove anything with regards to this case, though. Proof that some women lie about rape doesn't mean all women lie about rape.

It’s well known the lads are heading for Exeter chiefs. There will be no Irish or appearance or Ulster any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

And Brendan O'Connor's show gets a suspend because of some rugger buggers that nobody ever heard of getting sprung in the UK. **** sake, I saw Prime Time special and thought Russia had declared war on us in return for evicting Boris in Ossory.

Last TV license I bother with.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,322 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I thought the protests were to do with the hashtag movement. People going out showing support for the woman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I thought the protests were to do with the hashtag movement. People going out showing support for the woman.

Any protest Ruth coppinger is supporting I won’t .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

C__MC wrote: »
    Prime time now

If it’s about the dignity of the girl and her bravery and wondering how the lads got off, I’ll go f***ing spare.

The lads have been acquitted, there was no rape.

There was no rape PROVEN ...........(Beyond reasonable doubt)

Whatever about the rest of your post, you may need to rethink your logic as to how a trial by jury works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

C__MC wrote: »
    For what exactly?

I suspect for those who refuse to accept the verdict of the jury and still think those men are guilty despite being found not guilty in a court of law this is the lynch mom feminist mentality we have come to expect in this country it doesnt matter if they are found not guilty in the radical feminists eyes they are dirty stinking rapists.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

For what? These protests need a firm bulletin to the Government and the Judiciary.

But the Judiciary is independent of the Government, so what do we do?

We are donating millions to the rape crisis centres.

But nothing has changed has it? One voice against the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,170 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Protests for what exactly? The lads were found not guilty so do we want to get a new jury and go through the full trial again until we get the result we want or are we protesting because men should automatically be jailed if accused of rape?
    Maybe, just maybe the lads were found not guilty because they simply didn't rape the young one

There are many people who believe an allegation is enough.
    Mairia Cahill being a case in point. Even though the man she accused turned up at a court to defend himself the leaders of our main parties believed her.

Hashtag I believe her goes all the way to the top in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I have to say I find the protests a little silly. The verdict was unanimous and people need to just accept that and move on. All this hashtagging rubbish is fcuking cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Prime Time doing a special on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'm not on the Twitter but what changes to rape cases are the mob looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

I have to say I find the protests a little silly. The verdict was unanimous and people need to just accept that and move on. All this hashtagging rubbish is fcuking cringe

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

If the men were convicted and protests were held in support of them based purely on the idea that all women are wrong that would rightly be called a sexist mob. Tomorrow's protests are based purely on the concept that all men are wrong and therefore these are nothing but sexist mobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Will there be protests for every other case in a foreign jurisdiction that they don't like the verdict in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

For what? These protests need a firm bulletin to the Government and the Judiciary.

But the Judiciary is independent of the Government, so what do we do?

We are donating millions to the rape crisis centres.

But nothing has changed has it? One voice against the other.

This was a UK case, nothing to do with the Government or Judiciary here.

It's sort of to show support to the woman and maybe to get laws changed in the future. Lots of people have issues with the jury having more men and the amount of time she was examined.
    Another issue that would be favored by some would Louise O'Neill's style basically the man has to prove he's innocent.(I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Will be all forgotten about next week. Reality.

Something along the lines of the #metoo show trials. I.e. guilt is predetermined by gender, all men are guilty and all women are innocent, the only question before the court should be how best to punish the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

It's sort of to show support to the woman and maybe to get laws changed in the future. Lots of people have issues with the jury having more men and the amount of time she was examined.
    Another issue that would be favored by some would Louise O'Neill's style basically the man has to prove he's innocent.(I think)

How exactly is standing around the Spire going to get British laws changed?

Will there be protests for every other case in a foreign jurisdiction that they don't like the verdict in?

Geez I hope not, traffic will be ****ed for weeks.....months......

Will be all forgotten about next week. Reality.

No it won't. Even though they were found innocent these men are now basically unemployable and have their reputations destroyed.

How exactly is standing around the Spire going to get British laws changed?

It might be showing they support the woman.
    Have the laws channeled here.
    Another thing I notice is some people haven't read all the facts of the case and they don't understand the position the jury in and they don't understand what is needed to achieve a guilty verdict.

• Advertisement

Guys will have to start wearing GoPro's in the bedroom if that ever happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement