Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast rape trial - all 4 found not guilty Mod Note post one

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

She should be forced to apologise to each one of them. Publicly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

#getMiriamOffTheColdRoofInBelfast

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

spookwoman wrote: »
    Video evidence could be proof of her not getting raped. Do you have that go to the police..

Video evidence of what exactly? Of her sleeping soundly in her own bed and not being at a house party? Eh, no I do not have that, but by not having that it does not mean that she was out robbing a bank or being raped. Again, think about the concept about proving a negative. It generally cannot be done. Hence why the onus is on the prosecution and the concept of innocent until proven guilty.

If we lived in your world, it would be guilty until proven innocent, whereby there would be scores upon scores of more innocent people locked up in jail. They used similar procedures in Stalinist Russia by the way, so not a good benchmark.

Have a read of this from a solicitors about the meaning of not guilty. It's what I've been saying.
    not guilty the verdict of a court that a person is not, in law or in fact, responsible for the crime charged against him. See GUILTY, NOT PROVEN.
    Collins Dictionary of Law © W.J. Stewart, 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what laws are they trying to change and on what grounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Where's Una Mullally who was so convinced they were guilty disappeared in all this where have all those twitter mobs disappeared to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

touts wrote: »
    No it won't. Even though they were found innocent these men are now basically unemployable and have their reputations destroyed.

No they aren't. In fact I would be very surprised if Jackson doesn't continue on with Ulster for years to be honest.

All I hear on Prime Tome now is how this effects Women and Women this WTF ? little about the lives of the 3 men ruined over this.

Why isn't her name now in the papers ?

Wouldn't be a young lad today out for a night looking for a ride ! Jesus Christ what's the world come to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,910 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This is top of the list because the accused were Ulster Rugby.

Nothing else.

I am sure there are rape cases heard in NI now and then, but they would not engender the same publicity would they?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Autochange wrote: »
    She should be forced to apologise to each one of them. Publicly

Why? She wasn't found to have done anything wrong.

Still watching and it's still all about women........

Nothing along the lines of what does this do to men falsely accused ? wtf RTE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Mutant z wrote: »
    ...... lynch mom feminist......

and the award for typo of the thread.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Faugheen wrote: »

Their names dragged through the dirt. Careers possibly ruined. Public apology and she should be sued

• Registered Users Posts: 15,910 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

No it won't. Even though they were found innocent these men are now basically unemployable and have their reputations destroyed.

Not my problem, but if they are unemployable they can surely take a case against their employer.

They are not guilty/innocent in the eyes of the law.

Employers beware!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

C__MC wrote: »
    Prime time now

If it’s about the dignity of the girl and her bravery and wondering how the lads got off, I’ll go f***ing spare.

The lads have been acquitted, there was no rape.

Whatever about these lads (and they have come across as knobends), acquittal means they should be able to move on and get on with their lives. That is their right now.

Rape is one of the most heinous crimes one can be accused of, and one of the most degrading and humiliating crimes someone can be a victim of. Combine that reality with the other uncomfortable reality that yes, guilt (and not innocence) does need to be proved beyond a reasonable doubt, this is why these cases must be difficult to endure. That's the way it must be and the way it must stay.

I think the real problem here at the end of day was that money spoke and money was able to buy a defence capable of getting an acquittal against the odds. I honestly thought at times that the prosecution was incompetent the way they let the case meander and descend into farce. A quality prosecution would have done far better here with the basic facts.

No she wasn't they'd have to sue , another court case......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Their names dragged through the dirt. Careers possibly ruined. Public apology and she should be sued
    For.What.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

...what did she do wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

prime time wouldnt give you alot of faith in the justice system.

in these cases, a conviction is virtually impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Christy42

what did she do wrong? There is absolutely no proof she brought a false accusation forward. She brought an accusation forward but it has not been proven false (it has just not been proven true so we don't send the accused to prison)

It has been shown there is not enough evidence to charge the men. It has not been shown there is enough evidence to show that she is guilty. She gets the same presumption of innocence.

You didn't really think RTE was going to go against the feminist narrative, did you?

For once I had hoped,

RTE , = Liberal feminists Support Group !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

That's fair enough.

It still doesn't prove anything with regards to this case, though. Proof that some women lie about rape doesn't mean all women lie about rape.

I agree.
    But it does show that there should be a presumption of innocence until convicted in a court of law after due process.

It does appear that a presumption of guilt exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The future of dating could include printed consent forms or voice recordings.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

your nearly as bad as the guys on twitter, no one was found innocent today - so why do you keep throwing it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Christy42 wrote: »
    what did she do wrong? There is absolutely no proof she brought a false accusation forward. She brought an accusation forward but it has not been proven false (it has just not been proven true so we don't send the accused to prison)

It has been shown there is not enough evidence to charge the men. It has not been shown there is enough evidence to show that she is guilty. She gets the same presumption of innocence.

By 'charge' I presume you mean 'convict'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Regarding these guy's destroyed careers and reputations it's basically tough ****. They have no comeback. No sponsor will ever touch them. It's a man's world, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Jaysus, the lynch mobs are in force. Thank Christ I'm out of the dating game and married. It's a brutal world out there.

Couldn't imagine having a one night stand these days, very dangerous.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    The future of dating could include printed consent forms or voice recordings.

I was just thinking that.

Or lads will be just asking , you sure now, you're not going to go to the Guards after, I have to know. You serious ? 100 times . :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Whatever about these lads (and they have come across as knobends), acquittal means they should be able to move on and get on with their lives. That is their right now.

Rape is one of the most heinous crimes one can be accused of, and one of the most degrading and humiliating crimes someone can be a victim of. Combine that reality with the other uncomfortable reality that yes, guilt (and not innocence) does need to be proved beyond a reasonable doubt, this is why these cases must be difficult to endure. That's the way it must be and the way it must stay.

I think the real problem here at the end of day was that money spoke and money was able to buy a defence capable of getting an acquittal against the odds. I honestly thought at times that the prosecution was incompetent the way they let the case meander and descend into farce. A quality prosecution would have done far better here with the basic facts.

Thats a ridiculous assertion.

Just because someone has money and engages the best barristers does not mean they are more or less likely to be guilty.

Personally I think its ridiculous that the CPS brought this case. I think it has done untold damage to rape victims where its a clear cut case.

I've followed the case closely and I cannot understand how they thought they'd get a verdict of guilty and I d suggest the speed with which the 4 verdicts (or 3? ) were arrived at would indicate the jurors saw it similarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭C__MC

There was no rape PROVEN ...........(Beyond reasonable doubt)

Whatever about the rest of your post, you may need to rethink your logic as to how a trial by jury works

It was a unanimous call in the space of a few hours. It never happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Unreal bias from the rte you would think they were guilty. God knows what coverage would be like if they were found guilty..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement