Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

leeside11 wrote: »
    I'm with Aviva through a Broker in Cork, full comp, over 10 years licence, 04 Fiesta, 4 years NCB €438 which surprised me, was expecting a big increase.

Mind telling us the broker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

leeside11 wrote: »
    I'm with Aviva through a Broker in Cork, full comp, over 10 years licence, 04 Fiesta, 4 years NCB €438 which surprised me, was expecting a big increase.

I'm with AXA in Cork, hopefully they reward 9 years of loyalty like Aviva did with yourself renewal due in 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

givyjoe wrote: »
    Mind telling us the broker?

McCarthy's Insurance Group Fermoy

• Registered Users Posts: 4 zoky

42years old. Full EU license with my second half as named driver, 9+ years NCD, no claims, 3 points on wife license. Car by myself only, class1, overall 28k a year.
    BMW 118D bought January 2016. Changed old 2005 version of the same car.
    No adjustments to policy at the time of car change. Renewal in March 2016 pretty much the same as 2015 ~ 500€.
    Been with 25+ (AIG broker) for the last three years.
    Renewal quotation this year 970€ !!!
    Others quoted 1k plus.
    Tried with full Irish license for both and price dropped to 700€ with 25plus. Still almost 50% increase plus hassle to replace EU to Irish license.
    What's the heck???

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Female
    23 years
    Full Licence 4 years
    NCB- 4 years
    04 Opel Astra Petrol
    Last Year: Its4Women €375.00 deposit with 10 monthly payments of €68.00= TOTAL=€1,055.00 for TPFT
    Renewal: €999.73 (added my parents and it brought it down to €940.50) no deposit and 10 monthly payments of €103.46. Not too bad considering..

Haven't shopped around much but 123 have quoted €1,934.76 for TPFT!! I'll try another few but I am positive that my renewal is the best I will get!

UPDATE: The Underwriter with Its4Women is AIG at €940.50 however AIG directly quoted me €2,760.88!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭dodzy

dodzy wrote: »
    Ringing now. Will feedback. Cheers fred.

update:1030 best price 3rd p/f&t. Still hunting.

Dad. 81yrs old. Put him in a 03 Mazda 6 for Christmas up from a 1.6 focus. Full NCB, no points, no Cs or Cs.

Update: Rang / online applied to 15 companies (brokers and direct). 3 online applications would not quote (outside qualifying criteria).

2 on the phone would not quote.

The rest ranged from €2210 (Liberty) down to €1030 (AXA)

Last call was to my current insurer (Allianz). Added me as a named driver (clean record)

€644. Nearly fell off the chair. Payable over 12mths. He's over the bloody moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

My renewal is in and is around what I expected:

737.35 fully comp + bonus protection and a lot of extras
    2016 - 609.50
    2015 - 510.02

same car and broker past 3 year - 2011 1.5 litre Qashqui + allianze broker
    no points ever, no claims ever, 9+ years NCB but only 2 years full licence, rest was in my own name on a provisional

so far not getting anything cheaper online so will have to start making calls this week. About 1/2 the companies i tried online wont give me a quote, FBD online response even went as far to say they wont insure new business in that vehicle category?! AA and Blue insurance came the closest to match it.

I think its the 2 years full licence which is causing me the problems not matching my ncb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

pawrick wrote: »
    I think its the 2 years full licence which is causing me the problems not matching my ncb.

Quite possibly..... the algorithm is seeing a mismatch between the NCB and the length of time you've had a full license. In which case, getting on the phone and explaining the discrepancy to a human would hopefully reduce your quote.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've been tapping away on the computer today, wincing at the quotes I'm getting.
    38 Years old, full irsh licence 10+ Years
    No accidents. No convictions. No points.
    Full NCB
    Car is a 2010 Ford Focus used around Clare.

25plus.ie 616.21
    paylessdirect 717
    aa 684
    aviva 678.94
    liberty 966
    Blue insurance 755
    axa 752
    Bank of Ireland 753
    chill 785
    AIG 1056
    123 955
    allianz 655.97
    britton 811
    fbd 679

Haven't even receievd my renewal quote yet, but not looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CSween133

Got my renewal in post today from AIG,

Car type and engine: 2003 1.4 petrol VW Bora
    years driving: 1
    any claims: None and no points
    Price and provider: €3300 from AIG (was €2200 last year)

Dont understand the jump at all? Any ideas of a good company for me to go to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

CSween133 wrote: »
    Got my renewal in post today from AIG,

Car type and engine: 2003 1.4 petrol VW Bora
    years driving: 1
    any claims: None and no points
    Price and provider: €3300 from AIG (was €2200 last year)

Dont understand the jump at all? Any ideas of a good company for me to go to?

Literally one company comes to mind for you. Liberty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

Does anyone have a list of insurers who'll cover a car over 15 years old? I'm so sick of putting in the same info over and over again and at the end being told I don't match the underwriting criteria :rolleyes:
    Currently with BOI but was hoping I could find something lower than their renewal quote (€1010)

BabyBirch wrote: »
    Does anyone have a list of insurers who'll cover a car over 15 years old? I'm so sick of putting in the same info over and over again and at the end being told I don't match the underwriting criteria :rolleyes:
    Currently with BOI but was hoping I could find something lower than their renewal quote (€1010)

There is a thread specifically for cars of that age

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Axa were the only people who would quote me on my 19 year old car. Couldn't find anyone else and kinda stuck with 'em. Renewal in September and not looking forward to it.

Liberty do up to 20 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

KC161 wrote: »
    There is a thread specifically for cars of that age

Yeah I saw, it starts out listing insurers then many pages of discussion.. I think the ones listed are:

RSA
    ARB
    Liberty
    Its4Women
    BOI
    Kennco

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Substantial increase this year with Liberty Insurance.

1999 Toyota Starlet Glanza V, 25 years old, 5 years no claims, 3 points, Fully comp

2017 - €869
    2016 - €632

I rang up and they basically wouldn't budge on the price. Previous years they would always have dropped it a bit. They tried to down sell me to TPFT for €720 then.

I don't think there's any possibility in moving to another company. No one seems to want to take on these cars unless you're already a customer.

I'll be hoping to swap the policy to a 1995 Nissan 180sx next week. Fingers crossed they actually just do it and don't refuse to quote like everyone else out there.

Not sure if it would be better to pay the renewal on the current car and then swap, or swap before the renewal date. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Pops_20 wrote: »
    I don't think there's any possibility in moving to another company. No one seems to want to take on these cars unless you're already a customer.

Try AXA
    when i renewed my insurance with them, currently on 10 mazda 3, i asked if they would cover older cars as i will be downgrading to a Bangernomic soon (saving for house) and they said they have no age restrictions for cars, so that's why i went with them, also they were one of the cheapest also. Plus you can get AXA card, giving you discounts in certain shops

Try AXA

Spot on! First company to actually quote me online. Will definitely be giving them a call today.

Substantial increase this year with Liberty Insurance.

1999 Toyota Starlet Glanza V, 25 years old, 5 years no claims, 3 points, Fully comp

2017 - €869
    2016 - €632

I rang up and they basically wouldn't budge on the price. Previous years they would always have dropped it a bit. They tried to down sell me to TPFT for €720 then.

I'll be hoping to swap the policy to a 1995 Nissan 180sx next week. Fingers crossed they actually just do it and don't refuse to quote like everyone else out there.

Not sure if it would be better to pay the renewal on the current car and then swap, or swap before the renewal date. Any suggestions?

anything under a grand for a Glanza you are doing well. Really. I think that sector is probably the tightest to get insurance, even the 180SX I'd be mad to see how you get on there! Best of luck!

• Advertisement

flexcon wrote: »
    anything under a grand for a Glanza you are doing well. Really. I think that sector is probably the tightest to get insurance, even the 180SX I'd be mad to see how you get on there! Best of luck!

€760 fully comp believe it or not.

For any younger drivers out there, try insuring a parent or an older friend as a named driver on your policy. In this case, doing so gave me a €160 discount.

€760 fully comp believe it or not.

For any younger drivers out there, try insuring a parent or an older friend as a named driver on your policy. In this case, doing so gave me a €160 discount.

Well done! honestly! Those cars are normally insane to try and insure. I guess liberty has got its Quinn direct day balls back....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

bidiots wrote: »
    Last year over 620 fully comp which included AA membership
    05 Volvo D5
    Over 10 years license
    Over 10 years NCB(though they won't give me a letter with more than 9)
    No Points

FBD/25plus/BoI/Itsforwomen/AnPost/(Boxymo wouldn't quote online)
    All are close to the 1000 or well over it when NCB protection is added.
    AA renewal was 780 and got that to 670 TPFT

So, 2 years ago, 400 fully comp which included AA membership, to this.....Rip off shower of w@nK@rs:mad:

Any other suggestions for companies to try?

Update:
    Allianz Direct - 550
    Fully comp

Best AA could do to match was 720 and that was underwritten by Allianz.
    So, better than last year thankfully but still too much for my age/experience/car!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Car type and engine: Opel Insignia 2.0
    years driving: 6+ no claims protection, age 39
    any claims: 20k theft claim 3 years ago, 3 penalty points
    Price and provider: Renewal with 25plus.ie 880 euro

Insurance bought today with Acorn insurance : 733 euro.

Happy..ish considering some of the online prices being thrown at me by various companies .

25plus.ie came down to 744 , wouldn't budge any futher, so I took my business elsewhere .
    And 25plus.ie , all negotiations were done via online chat, not ideal for me as a customer, prefer deal on the phone,.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Acorn insurance.
    Eikel, Dutch for acorn, which we also use for dickhead.

You just insured your car with Dickhead Insurance.

Starting to get some quotes in now for my renewal.

Age 32
    Licence; Full 9 years
    Car; 2009 Ford Focus 1.6tdci
    NCB; 8 years

Current insurer; AXA

Previous years quotes from them,

2015, 550e on a 2001 Megane
    2016, 750e on the Focus.

Haven't received my AXA renewal quote yet.

Current quotes received.

AA Underwritten by AXA, 853e
    Chill.ie 1015e
    Aviva 1939e
    Liberty 1262e
    Kennco 1300e call back after refusing to quote online
    AXA online 1223e
    Acorn underwritten by Allianz 1368e

All of those quotes have the Mrs included on the Policy, learner permit holder, 3 years named on my policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

''Sorry sir we cant take this car as it already has more than 6 owners''
    Whaaaaa???:eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::(:mad:

It will be busy evening

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Age 32
    Licence; Full 9 years
    NCB; 8 years

Current insurer; AXA

2016, 750e on the Focus.

Current quotes received.

Chill.ie 1015e
    Aviva 1939e
    Liberty 1262e
    AXA online 1223e

All of those quotes have the Mrs included on the Policy, learner permit holder, 3 years named on my policy.[/quote
    Axa rate will be 'last years premium plus 20%'
    Same benefits of - Fire, theft and attempted theft have no excess or loss of NCB
    P-points of 4 each no extra

PM me if u get different in post from them

cplwhisper wrote: »

Age 32
    Licence; Full 9 years
    NCB; 8 years

Current insurer; AXA

2016, 750e on the Focus.

Current quotes received.

Chill.ie 1015e
    Aviva 1939e
    Liberty 1262e
    AXA online 1223e

All of those quotes have the Mrs included on the Policy, learner permit holder, 3 years named on my policy.[/quote
    Axa rate will be 'last years premium plus 20%'
    Same benefits of - Fire, theft and attempted theft have no excess or loss of NCB
    P-points of 4 each no extra

PM me if u get different in post from them

AXA dropped from €1150 to €750 last year In a split second. Will update when I get it.

• Advertisement

Age 32
    Licence; Full 9 years
    NCB; 8 years

Current insurer; AXA

2016, 750e on the Focus.

Current quotes received.

Chill.ie 1015e
    Aviva 1939e
    Liberty 1262e
    AXA online 1223e

All of those quotes have the Mrs included on the Policy, learner permit holder, 3 years named on my policy.

An update on these;

Got 3 quotes since posting here yesterday,

FBD 786e
    Britton 1251e
    Campion wouldn't quote.

The FBD price can probably be pushed down another bit i reckon, even as it stands that is only 36e more than what i paid last year.

AXA will need to do some serious work to keep me for a 10th consecutive year in this case.

Advertisement