Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

flazio wrote: »
    That presenter Caroline Morohan doesn't seem to be on air much anymore.

She spent some time in the USA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

flazio wrote: »
    That presenter Caroline Morohan doesn't seem to be on air much anymore.

She's in Once Upon a Time, afaik Victoria Smurfit was in it too.
    But i think it got canned recently along with the spin-off!
    I remember Kevin Sharkey disappeared off the radar for a while in the latter half of the 80's after he left RTE then circa 1989 or 1990 he popped up on the Late Late Show in that section where Gaybo used to feature people who were showing their inventions and trying to get companies to sponser them. I think his featured thing was a cd player but not 100% sure. It was something music related anyway. Seem to remember him saying that he was living in Japan at the time or had just returned.

He was also in Father Ted!
    Richard Rock, he also represented Ireland in the short-lived Eurovision Dance Contest, and alongside Eileen Reid's daughter formed a showbands tribute.

Any relation to Dean Rock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

She's in Once Upon a Time, afaik Victoria Smurfit was in it too.
    But i think it got canned recently along with the spin-off!

He was also in Father Ted!

Any relation to Dean Rock?

Or Hayley Rock?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Or Hayley Rock?

No, but his sister Susan got caught with ecstasy pills, both for herself and for selling.

Speaking of people who disappeared-Young Offenders (either a repeat or first showing, dunno, I don't watch it) was on tonight, and played 'This is my Comeback, Girl', by the 'Whatever happened to?' Republic of Loose? I always despised them, the only thing I remember em for was turning up on the Late Late show (when it was still getting strong ratings) and being massively drunk, even forgetting the lyrics and the lead singer dropped the mic and insulted the audience.

Also, John Henderson the Irish comedian. Probably most famous as 'the tour guide' in the Fr Ted episode 'the mainland' which featured Richard Wilson. Was fairly prominent in the early 00's, and then vanished. I think he hung around with Jason Byrne, and was on his show too.

Edit: Googled it-Henderson is Byrne's agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

No, but his sister Susan got caught with ecstasy pills, both for herself and for selling.

Speaking of people who disappeared-Young Offenders (either a repeat or first showing, dunno, I don't watch it) was on tonight, and played 'This is my Comeback, Girl', by the 'Whatever happened to?' Republic of Loose? I always despised them, the only thing I remember em for was turning up on the Late Late show (when it was still getting strong ratings) and being massively drunk, even forgetting the lyrics and the lead singer dropped the mic and insulted the audience.

Also, John Henderson the Irish comedian. Probably most famous as 'the tour guide' in the Fr Ted episode 'the mainland' which featured Richard Wilson. Was fairly prominent in the early 00's, and then vanished. I think he hung around with Jason Byrne, and was on his show too.

Edit: Googled it-Henderson is Byrne's agent.
    Everything you said about Republic of loose is actually what's missing from music these days... Especially Irish "middle class" "Rock" that people enjoy nowadays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Six ... remember them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,132 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Sheana Keane.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Where's Pamela Flood who used to present on rte gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Six ... remember them ?
    There are some people you're glad to see the back of. Also BWitched the woeful irish girl group.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Irish boy band OTT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Six ... remember them ?

One of them is/was a presenter on RTE Jr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭George White

Sheana Keane.

She was on TV3 for a bit, then vanished again. Probably Blannidge trying to get her off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Hazel whatsherface who used to be in a girl band. Was on with Tubridy talking about her boob job one time. Attractive girl but firmly in the useless celebrity category.

Kaneswaran. Just thinking about her brother Siva, of the Wanted, and their song "Glad you Come", which I always wondered was it meant to be sarcastic due to the minor key tone of the song.

Everything you said about Republic of loose is actually what's missing from music these days... Especially Irish "middle class" "Rock" that people enjoy nowadays

Ah, no...RoL were idiots, tbh. They blew every opportunity to promote themselves well, and the LLS was a debut for the band. Few if any had heard of them by then.
    When they forgot the lyrics, dropped the mic, mocked the audience and were blindly plastered, they shot themselves in the foot.
    I can't imagine anyone would pay to see a gig after that debacle (they even got a drubbing on the Blizzard of Odd by Colin Murphy that week).

Back in the day, the Rolling Stones had no issue pulling a ticket out of a raffle box at their concerts-as prizes could be won. Not very 'Rock and Roll' but still professional. (Paddy Murray, who used to write for the Sunday World shared that Stones anecdote). Loose weren't professional.
    There are some people you're glad to see the back of. Also BWitched the woeful irish girl group.

One of the Six ladies became a counsellor (politics, not mental health) in Cork. One of the guys is a music PR agent for Jedward. One tried to become a TV presenter, but think he's in television management or something. Most are married, the one who replaced Nadine is a single mom, I think.

Bewitched always turn up somewhere-wasn't one of them on Big Brother or something? They keep trying to 'make a comeback' and instead go nowhere. (I think the Lynch sisters tried to come back as a duo).

branie2 wrote: »
    The Irish boy band OTT

One of em founded a gin school bar. You can find him on twitter.

One of them, Alan Fitzsimons appeared in the Voice of Ireland in 2012. Made it far into the show, tho don't know how far since I didn't watch it.
    Then 4 years later, he appeared...in court, charged with sexually assaulting a male colleague (grabbed him by the crotch). He was working for Eir, and was fired because of this.
    https://www.thesun.ie/archives/irish-news/214045/former-boyband-star-admits-grabbing-workmates-nuts-it-was-just-a-bit-of-craic/

You can still find some fan pages...oh God, dripping with 90s-isms.

http://members.tripod.com/always_ott/index2.html

What about Fab! and their track "Turn Around"? Anyone remember them? Shane Lynch's sister Tara was in the group, so the twins from B*Witched weren't Shane's only sisters in a pop group.

What about Fab! and their track "Turn Around"? Anyone remember them? Shane Lynch's sister Tara was in the group, so the twins from B*Witched weren't Shane's only sisters in a pop group.

Yeah, tried to do a 'spice girls' by giving each member of the band nicknames like 'Mad Fab, Funky Fab etc'

Watching Dara O'Briain interview them on Echo Island...cringey, even as a kid. You know he didn't wanna talk to em, they were bland.

One of Shane's other sisters was in a duo who were a 'not really a one-hit' wonder, Buffalo G. (their song hit the top 20, but that's as far as it got'). It was a cover of a cover, originally by the Velvettes I think.
    It's painful, as a song I mean-it features 'guest star Shane Lynch' and has 'rap'...painfully bad rapping, in a thick Dublin accent.

Shane's sister now works as a firebreather, and the other one works as a stylist.

http://www.dailyedge.ie/what-happened-buffalo-g-3490705-Jul2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BWitched are doing PAs in third rate regional nightclubs in the UK these days. 90s nostalgia acts are huge with college kids who increasingly can't remember the 90s at all

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

One of Shane's other sisters was in a duo who were a 'not really a one-hit' wonder, Buffalo G. (their song hit the top 20, but that's as far as it got'). It was a cover of a cover, originally by the Velvettes I think.
    It's painful, as a song I mean-it features 'guest star Shane Lynch' and has 'rap'...painfully bad rapping, in a thick Dublin accent.

Shane's sister now works as a firebreather, and the other one works as a stylist.

Jaysus that's some flashback. Reminds me of Kerri-Ann. Managed by Louis Walsh who planted stories about her being engaged to Stephen Gately at one stage.

Yeah, tried to do a 'spice girls' by giving each member of the band nicknames like 'Mad Fab, Funky Fab etc'

Watching Dara O'Briain interview them on Echo Island...cringey, even as a kid. You know he didn't wanna talk to em, they were bland.

http://www.dailyedge.ie/what-happened-buffalo-g-3490705-Jul2017/
    Another sister was in B*Wildered - alongside Mick Lally's daughter, plus Fiona O'Carroll before her da forced her to act and Cecelia Ahern.

• Advertisement

Jaysus that's some flashback. Reminds me of Kerri-Ann. Managed by Louis Walsh who planted stories about her being engaged to Stephen Gately at one stage.

Yeah, last I heard of her was she was Peter Andres hairdresser. Back in his post I'm A Celeb days.
    Another sister was in B*Wildered - alongside Mick Lally's daughter, plus Fiona O'Carroll before her da forced her to act and Cecelia Ahern.

That clip was played so often in her interviews. She also tried out for Eurosong, in a four piece...by her own admission the band was so bad, the record company paid to get rid of em.

She also claims it paid for her education, the payoff I mean..but if you believe that, I have a fewacres on the moon I can sell ya.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Who was that guy from Sligo who was formerly with a band (not a boyband) and then tried to go solo and was kind of high profile for a very brief period? Early 00's, he went under some one word moniker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Who was that guy from Sligo who was formerly with a band (not a boyband) and then tried to go solo and was kind of high profile for a very brief period? Early 00's, he went under some one word moniker.

Bressie,?
    He's from Westmeath though... can't think of anyone from Sligo

Bressie,?
    He's from Westmeath though... can't think of anyone from Sligo

Not him. The guy I mean was sort of a proto Bressie in a way.

Edit:It was Tabby Callaghan. I found out who he was by looking through the Wiki people from Sligo page.

I was only four when it came out and only remembered it vaguely. Mind you I remember a lot of late 1998 songs fairly well from when they came out.

Two top 2 singles from her and then never heard from ever again.

The verses remind me of David Bowie's "Life on Mars?" and the chorus kind of reminds me of George Michael's "Father Figure". Another fact: she's the sister of RTÉ documentary maker Shauna Keogh!

1998 was kind of a ground zero of Irish music going to shyte. The Reeling In The Years episode for that is one scutter song after another (with the exception of Teardrop by Massive Attack).

1998 was kind of a ground zero of Irish music going to shyte. The Reeling In The Years episode for that is one scutter song after another (with the exception of Teardrop by Massive Attack).
    I think there is a Manic Street Preachers song on the episode as well but it's not listed on the RTÉ website, a Catatonia one as well.

Not him. The guy I mean was sort of a proto Bressie in a way.

Edit:It was Tabby Callaghan. I found out who he was by looking through the Wiki people from Sligo page.

He was on the first season of X factor, and was friends with the Westlife guys. I didn't watch X factor, and I remember all this 'hype' surrounding the guy-and then he popped up the Late Late show, and sang...and it was like 'dude, this guy's bland as rice cakes'. Sharon Osbourne was his manager, but her career was taking off, with the Osbourne's tv show, and she dropped him.

His website is depressing. It's just a wordpress free page. He's put the 'O' back into 'O 'Callaghan'.

http://tabbyocallaghan.co.uk/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Six ... remember them ?

Nadine Coyle had a lucky escape there

• Advertisement

I was only four when it came out and only remembered it vaguely. Mind you I remember a lot of late 1998 songs fairly well from when they came out.

Two top 2 singles from her and then never heard from ever again.

The verses remind me of David Bowie's "Life on Mars?" and the chorus kind of reminds me of George Michael's "Father Figure". Another fact: she's the sister of RTÉ documentary maker Shauna Keogh!

She had another song, Do you love me Boy?

According to her wiki, she works for M and M productions, mostly to do with the Eurovision.

Advertisement