Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Eddie Hobbs. Back in the 2000s he was a regular on various RTE programmes, published a series of books, got regular coverage in the media etc.etc. I know he was involved with the Renua party in the run up to the last general election but since then he seems to have vanished.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

david mc savage

sorry ment david mc williams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

where is duncan steward these days

Last heard of him doing what he advised others not to do, fell off a ladder and injured himself. Carbon monoxide a silent killer. That was a ridiculous ad with Duncan and his high pitched voice. He was trying to get the daughter on the Rte bandwagon, she was swanning around for a few months. Haven't heard anything from them in a while, maybe 2-3 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Irish-Life-Diver.jpg

The girl diving on that Irish Life pension ad. Don't even know who she is. Used to see that ad a lot though, 12 or so years ago.

Not sure if she's been in anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Last heard of him doing what he advised others not to do, fell off a ladder and injured himself. Carbon monoxide a silent killer. That was a ridiculous ad with Duncan and his high pitched voice. He was trying to get the daughter on the Rte bandwagon, she was swanning around for a few months. Haven't heard anything from them in a while, maybe 2-3 years

I've noticed a few RTE spawn are trying to make it at the broadcaster with little success. Lottie Ryan has been trying for a good ten years, Stewart's daughter disappeared (she's not even on eco eye). It's really strange, but really positive I think.

In days gone by, you only had to know someone to get a gig in Rte-such as Ryan, or marry into Rte royalty, like Brendan o'Connor.
    Hope there is more scrutiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Did he not fall out of a tree in Africa or someplace,trying to save the world or something. He should have worn a hard hat.:pac:

Eddie Hobbs. Back in the 2000s he was a regular on various RTE programmes, published a series of books, got regular coverage in the media etc.etc. I know he was involved with the Renua party in the run up to the last general election but since then he seems to have vanished.

Went bankrupt. Not joking, had some hedge fund set up, which had 13 million euros invested in it, from other investors-and he lost 90 percent of it.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/revealed-eddie-hobbs-fund-investors-lost-13m-36386898.html

Then a liquidator was called in.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/liquidator-appointed-to-eddie-hobbs-investment-fund-817541.html

He's kept quiet for good reason-seems he was the last person you'd want to ask for money advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Went bankrupt. Not joking, had some hedge fund set up, which had 13 million euros invested in it, from other investors-and he lost 90 percent of it.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/revealed-eddie-hobbs-fund-investors-lost-13m-36386898.html

Then a liquidator was called in.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/liquidator-appointed-to-eddie-hobbs-investment-fund-817541.html

He's kept quiet for good reason-seems he was the last person you'd want to ask for money advice.

Far be it from to defend the Hobbit, but he didn't go bankrupt.

The Brendan Investments fund did go bust, after some people got large fees out of it.

Eddie is still a financial adviser and still banging his Renua style anti-public-sector drum on LinkedIn, if you like that sort of thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭taserfrank

Still going strong, survived a really aggressive form of cancer, and fair dues.

Always liked Dermot, he always seemed really passionate about his work whenever he was on TV. Hope he is keeping well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Did he not fall out of a tree in Africa or someplace,trying to save the world or something. He should have worn a hard hat.:pac:

I think it was in the Ukraine while out visiting Chernobyl that he fell off a ladder or something?

• Advertisement

Where is Louise Loughman these days?

Where is Louise Loughman these days?

Still working, freelancing. Mostly being a mom and wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭MrCostington

where is duncan steward these days

I'm pretty sure I saw him on Eco Eye a few weeks ago, he was presenting with some Dr something. She had a different surname so mayby not his daughter, but possible.

May have been a repeat?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Auntie Poppy. She must be dead by now, I think she was in the Little Rascals or something like that when she was a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Remember Janice Byrne who played that nurse in Plebs that Stylax got on well with because they both used the word "goolies"? Is she still acting?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Not a but celebrity as such (celebrity bankrupt maybe) but has Mick Wallace T.D. gone untypically quiet recently? And his sidekick Clare Daly. They'd normally be good for wading into the current controversies but I haven't heard anything from either of them. Or have I just not been paying attention?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Bredabe

curioser wrote: »
    Not a but celebrity as such (celebrity bankrupt maybe) but has Mick Wallace T.D. gone untypically quiet recently? And his sidekick Clare Daly. They'd normally be good for wading into the current controversies but I haven't heard anything from either of them. Or have I just not been paying attention?

Pic of both today online, talking re the 8th ref.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Remember Janice Byrne who played that nurse in Plebs that Stylax got on well with because they both used the word "goolies"? Is she still acting?

Has a twitter-has moved into theatre I believe. Most recent tweet was from months ago, but that's theatre for ya.

https://twitter.com/janicebyrne?lang=en

Sorta similar to what happened with Orla Fitzgerald-she was pretty much everywhere acting wise, from Wind that Shakes the barley, to...brr...the last Furlong (that absolute abomination Simon Delaney took credit for).

She disappeared, then in the last few years reappeared, and is now in Young Offenders.

Anyone know who the presenter in this clip is? Shes one of the two talking at the end, the attractive one without glasses. She's familiar from something but can't place her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Anyone know who the presenter in this clip is? Shes one of the two talking at the end, the attractive one without glasses. She's familiar from something but can't place her.

Did she present Bosco at one stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Gráinne Ui Mhaitiú from Bosco

Did she present Bosco at one stage?
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Gráinne Ui Mhaitiú from Bosco

Yes, I remember her now.

She's used to get bashed for her singing-so fair play for her singing along-even Bosco mentioned it that people said she 'sang like a crow'. She's also aged remarkably well.
    Fair play being a good sport.

Not related to that topic but...

Was gonna mention Tom McCaughren-but he popped up on a TV3 documentary on the worst crimes in Irish history a few days back. The discussion was on Malcolm MacArthur.
    Does he still write novels? He had a series about foxes that were great set of novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Frank Twomey from Bosco
    Niall Toibin

Frank Twomey from Bosco
    Niall Toibin

Niall Toibin is retired I'd say. He must be well into his 80's. Frank Twomey still does panto and the like.

Niall Toibin is retired I'd say. He must be well into his 80's. Frank Twomey still does panto and the like.

Frank Twomey was in that short 'comedy' series The School, the one that was on Rte late last year.

He played the caretaker/ janitor.

Niall Toibin was in a short film earlier this Year-Remains. I think it's doing the festival circuit rn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Zig and Zag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭juno10353

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    Maxi is the one I always wondered about - I know she reappeared every Christmas Day or so, and recently retired - but having been a mainstay of early morning/late night radio for years and years she disappeared abruptly for a long time.

Dick, as in Maxi, Dick and Twink which catapulted them to stardom.

Advertisement