Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I remember Samantha Mumba working as a lounge girl in Quinns in Drumcondra many moons ago, she must have been mid-teens!

You will also remember her dad Peter then...

Let's just say the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

padd b1975 wrote: »
    You will also remember her dad Peter then...

Let's just say the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

That's a bit too vague...was he also a one hit wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Brendan Kilkenny- Wasn’t he a civil servant in between mortifying himself on reality talent shows?

Áine Chambers- Sligos best known glamour girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

He was on the first season of X factor, and was friends with the Westlife guys. I didn't watch X factor, and I remember all this 'hype' surrounding the guy-and then he popped up the Late Late show, and sang...and it was like 'dude, this guy's bland as rice cakes'. Sharon Osbourne was his manager, but her career was taking off, with the Osbourne's tv show, and she dropped him.

His website is depressing. It's just a wordpress free page. He's put the 'O' back into 'O 'Callaghan'.

http://tabbyocallaghan.co.uk/
    Didn't she actually move him into the Osbourne house at one stage as he was struggling to find digs. I have an inkling that Sharon's interest in him went a bit beyond a manager and client relationship ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

She had another song, Do you love me Boy?

According to her wiki, she works for M and M productions, mostly to do with the Eurovision.

It was #56 in the UK despite heavy promotion, whereas in Ireland it was #2 for three weeks behind B*Witched's C'est La Vie.

• Advertisement

Didn't she actually move him into the Osbourne house at one stage as he was struggling to find digs. I have an inkling that Sharon's interest in him went a bit beyond a manager and client relationship ;)

Yep, but only the London place, not in the US, but I think he visited. She may very well have been trying to set him up with Kelly, to promote 'her' as a singer.
    Showmances sell. (Sadder than that is poor Tabby's real name is Trevor). Kelly also tried to be a singer, what with 'Shut Up' which got her booed off of the stage at many concerts. Didn't happen for her, and Tabby is still trying tho.

Also, Tabby had a girlfriend who he had a kid with, and she was proper mental-apparently she physically attacked him-headbutts, punches, the lot.
    It was #56 in the UK despite heavy promotion, whereas in Ireland it was #2 for three weeks behind B*Witched's C'est La Vie.

No wonder-it's a terrible song. Louis had quite a few acts who it didn't happen for. Who's Eddie, Bellefire, The Carter Twins, Kerri Ann, Michael English, Wonderland (they were kind of more of a favour to Kian Egan, cos his wife was in the 'group'). Samantha Mumba was another sore spot for him-according to music folks. She should have been our answer to Britney Spears, or Xtina. But her career was dead after about two and a half years. (An appearance on a Harvey Goldsmith show called 'Get your act together' shows how her career died-she was incredibly unfocused, and amazingly unprofessional.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Louis had quite a few acts who it didn't happen for. Who's Eddie, Bellefire, The Carter Twins

I always remember hearing ads on the radio for them playing the Christmas party at the Red Cow Moran Hotel, I never knew they had anything to do with Louis Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭George White

When did he get Michael English?
    Because with English, he just started appearing on things. The first I heard of him was on one of the Valentine's Day Late Lates, and he was pushed on a celebrity panellist giving love tips. I thought, "who is this guy? Eoin Maclove?"
    That's where he has been ever since.

Who's Eddie - brilliantly described as superstars of "chicken in a basket circuit", why he thought they'd be a chart act- well he came from the showbands. They sound like a proto-Crystal Swing - https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/who-s-eddie-1.24587

El Tarangu wrote: »
    I always remember hearing ads on the radio for them playing the Christmas party at the Red Cow Moran Hotel, I never knew they had anything to do with Louis Walsh.

Yep, Louis took em on I just remember 'take me up to heaven' and then a cover version of 'Hot Stuff' (weeks later, Arsenal-yes the football club, released their own version. It did far better than W.E's did). The lead singer, or main lead singer, Dara Molloy (a woman, just clarifiying cos I know 'Dara' is more a guy's name) was quite a big girl, then she went and had liposuction, tummy tuck, the works, and went on the Late Late talking about it. She turned into a hyperactive, annoying individual. They showed the video of her lipo, and she announced 'You'll never eat custard again'...

My mom reckoned she'd put the weight back on again. She did.

The video is cringey-the lad in the orange jacket is their brother...so singing all this 'come on baby' stuff is cringier than the McCauls.

Apparently the brother left the group, the rest of the sisters went off and became 'the Molloy's'.

It's typical 'synthesizer Irish music' that feels like a MIDI track. Not including the youtube link-this song only brought me pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVea3NsZbJM
    When did he get Michael English?
    Because with English, he just started appearing on things. The first I heard of him was on one of the Valentine's Day Late Lates, and he was pushed on a celebrity panellist giving love tips. I thought, "who is this guy? Eoin Maclove?"
    That's where he has been ever since.

Who's Eddie - brilliantly described as superstars of "chicken in a basket circuit", why he thought they'd be a chart act- well he came from the showbands. They sound like a proto-Crystal Swing - https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/who-s-eddie-1.24587

He was going for a few years, and then Louis' mother saw him at a concert, and said he should be his manager. Eoin McLove has a tougher image than aul Michael.
    He's still working tho, which is more than can be said for the rest of Louis' former acts.

Dara (of who's Eddie) turned up on the Voice of Ireland, the first series.
    She's the blonde.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

Least the Brits did something right. That is a terrible song.

• Advertisement

Anyone remember Jade Yourell? Or Yurell/ Yorell? (Spelling of her last name is off).

She was an Irish actress on Fair City-a real stunner. Left to do some movie, and was supposed to be the next big thing...

And then things went quiet. I know she did theatre, but like, her star waned somewhat.

Shes done a Doctors. Still works, but nothing came.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Played Jasmine in Fair City.
    https://goo.gl/images/K8tPQJ
    Get a role on Fair City and your career is sorted:rolleyes:

Played Jasmine in Fair City.
    https://goo.gl/images/K8tPQJ
    Get a role on Fair City and your career is sorted:rolleyes:

Barry Keoghan had a stint in Fair City, seems to be doing alright. Ditto Eoin Macken. Same with Maeve Mcgrath. (McGrath's career sadly was curtailed by extreme stage fright. She can do movies and TV, but theatre is where you do a ton of paid work-and that's what hampered her).
    I think Glenroes' cast was more successful, Eva Birthistle and Mick Lally for one.

Seems harder for female actresses-I know I've heard a few actresses who tried to move on after Fair City, and it just all fizzled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The two actors who played Stephen McCoy in Fair City

branie2 wrote: »

God, one of them has a tragic CV-the 'Steves' I mean.

Hasn't worked since 2008. I remember his time in Fair City for the daft 'cult' storyline they did...

And then they had a daft cult storyline this year/ last year. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The actress who played Fidelma in Glenroe. Can`t remember her name.

I found her name.Eunice McMenamin

Barry Keoghan had a stint in Fair City, seems to be doing alright. Ditto Eoin Macken. Same with Maeve Mcgrath. (McGrath's career sadly was curtailed by extreme stage fright. She can do movies and TV, but theatre is where you do a ton of paid work-and that's what hampered her).
    I think Glenroes' cast was more successful, Eva Birthistle and Mick Lally for one.

Seems harder for female actresses-I know I've heard a few actresses who tried to move on after Fair City, and it just all fizzled out.

Glenroe though also was by a single writer/showrunner, it was seen as a drama serial, not just a mere soap. It could attract some of our finest - David Kelly and Cyril Cusack. I remember telling Scottish friends that Cyril Cusack was in the Irish equivalent to Emmerdale, and they were astonished.
    The only time FC tried to get such sterling talent was that Civil Action storyline where they brought in TP McKenna and Frank Grimes ("good old Grimey").

A few people from Fair City have gone onto things, Barry Keoghan, Once Upon A Time's Colin O'Donoghue, Aisling Bea, the late Glenn Quinn (of Angel fame), Hilary Rose, Being Human's Sinead Keenan and Fiona Glascott and Denise McCormack - the three Farrahs have done a lot of work though there is a difference between Being Human and Red Rock, and Ger Ryan, Ruth McCabe both sterling character actors, but weirdly that includes the English actors who played the Asians, as there AFAIK are very few Asian actors here (Paul Tylak, Zarima McDermott, both of whom appeared in FC, as a Kurdish and an Eastern European character respectively). Shobu Kapoor appeared long after her stint in Eastenders as Gita, while her future on-screen ex-daughter on Citizen Khan, Maya Sondhi was in FC for a bit.

But then again the likes of Ben Kingsley and Patrick Stewart started in Coronation Street. There's always a few who pop up for a while, but if you're there for more than a few years, in Fair City, at least, you get stuck and no one wants to cast you anymore, from what I've heard.
    Obviously, it's rang long enough that at least some people in it have gone onto healthy enough careers, although they probably started in small parts.

branie2 wrote: »
    The first Noeline, Sighle Toibin, daughter of Niall was my film course tutor.

Eunice McMenamin played Fidelma.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I presume he's still doing stuff but Jon Kenny has kind of disappeared under the radar since D'Unbelievable's went their separate ways. A pity as he's a far funnier performer than Pat Shortt in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Radio5

Jon Kenny does a good deal of touring with Mary McEvoy (Biddy), John B plays and the like.

Charlotte Bradley is in quite a few things, on TG4 a lot as she has the Gaelige, she was Sandy (one of the Many Wives of Leo).

She's in the Unmanageable Sisters at the Abbey.
    Also was the Celtic Rita Repulsa in Saban's Irish-made tokusatsu The Mystic Nights of Tir Na Nog.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I presume he's still doing stuff but Jon Kenny has kind of disappeared under the radar since D'Unbelievable's went their separate ways. A pity as he's a far funnier performer than Pat Shortt in my opinion.

Maybe as a performer but he needs a good writer unless your view of Irish men is from circa 83

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Any news on Dana? She was trying to get into politics at one stage.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Any news on Dana? She was trying to get into politics at one stage.

She was running for the presidential office at one point but she came across quite clueless in the televised debates, got a lot of ridicule.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Bredabe

She was running for the presidential office at one point but she came across quite clueless in the televised debates, got a lot of ridicule.

Lives in a small town outside of Galway city, from what I see of that locality's FB page, she is spearheading the anti-choice campaign there while flogging her cd's.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Bredabe wrote: »
    Lives in a small town outside of Galway city, from what I see of that locality's FB page, she is spearheading the anti-choice campaign there while flogging her cd's.

She was also trying to get abortion, and stem cell research banned in the EU, Because 'God', or ' her' interpretation of God didn't like it. She even wanted God used in the wording.

She was rightly told to sod off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Bredabe

She was also trying to get abortion, and stem cell research banned in the EU, Because 'God', or ' her' interpretation of God didn't like it. She even wanted God used in the wording.

She was rightly told to sod off.
    I think god is better placed to make her feelings on the topic known than dana is to speak for her.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

She was on TV yesterday, in the film Flight of the Doves from the 1970s, and I think it was her only film.

• Advertisement

Lee Magors and Lindsay Wagner, stars of the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman respectively.

Advertisement