Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Never mind it’s snowing now lol

Congratulations to those who are celebrating black ice. I'm sure you will be delighting in the subsequent road accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

degsie wrote: »
    Congratulations to those who are celebrating black ice. I'm sure you will be delighting in the subsequent road accidents.

No we won't be happy about accidents but we can still like snow

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EMPotatohands

Yeah I’ll be jumping with absolute glee *eyeroll*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

Hope this year continues as it has begun..

Record snowfall, record March cold average temperature 1st of the month, a second easterly mid month, a grand slam, individual try 6 nations record... if it keeps breaking records at this rate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,904 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Youll be happy to hear that these conditions will not deliver black ice. It'll be big whopping chunks of white ice that any driver should take precautions for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭highdef

Would never celebrate black ice and to suggest that anyone is doing so is veering on the side of slander! A good driver can foresee black ice. Firstly, the car thermometer will give a good indication. Then the actual weather conditions followed by common sense by the driver based on the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Roads are icing up here with the graupel on top. Perfect for settling snow...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

Same problem as 2 weeks ago.

Snow too dry

Wind too strong.

If ye get 6cm...5 of those are in the ditch down the road:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Waterford City doing very well already in this event. Plenty of heavy showers with accumulations. Amazing to think how snow starved we were up to a few weeks ago and now two events in a short time frame.
    For the record temp is -1.0c at my station

www.waterfordcityweather.com
    What’s your thoughts on us getting a lot of snow during the night?

• Advertisement

Co Meath, North Co Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford all seem to be doing reasonably well at the moment.

Dublin stuck in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

In North Wexford and was a bit disappointed half an hour ago going to pick up my old man from the pub and everything was clear. 10 minutes later I was driving in what felt like a mini blizzard. By the time I arrived home there was a cm-ish on the ground and still coming down hard. Must of caught a streamer here in North Wexford for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

J6P wrote: »
    Same problem as 2 weeks ago.

Snow too dry

Wind too strong.

If ye get 6cm...5 of those are in the ditch down the road:rolleyes:

2018 problems. We also didn't get the bonus point against England :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

aidanodr wrote: »

I'm a few miles away, can confirm it's snowing lightly. Settling on cars.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

200motels wrote: »
    What’s your thoughts on us getting a lot of snow during the night?

We should see more active showers overnight. A nice covering to wake up to in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,388 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Is it just coincidence or some technical explanation as to why snow falls at night most often? Or is heaviest at night

Although this is not a prime example, winter is more night than day so that's one reason (Dec 2010 comes to mind, 8 hours daylight and 16 hours darkness).

Another factor to consider is that daytime (weak) heating can reduce snow accumulation, not a factor at night so much.

Third possible reason specific to Ireland, it takes a while for streamers to build up so if there are good uppers in daytime the snow is likely to come mostly the following night. Perhaps the distance of Ireland west of a source region for cold air favours a daytime arrival (and night-time snow).

I lived in snow country for many years and came almost to the opposite conclusion, that the peak time for snow was afternoon and evening, maybe that was because the Great Lakes get deeper shots of cold air and can process them faster. However, in that part of the world, travelling lows and their snow can arrive pretty much round the clock and a frequency distribution outside a lake effect snow belt might look quite random, I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Hammering down in Drogheda now. Great big **** off flakes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Co Meath, North Co Dublin, Wicklow and Wexford all seem to be doing reasonably well at the moment.

Dublin stuck in the middle.

I'm out in the Dublin city centre with a load of camera gear Kermit, can't see any charts/radar properly, taking ages to even refresh the forum? should I just dodge into a boozer and wait or call it quits...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭piplip87

Virginia snow train back in action. Following weather warning for Meath again
    I wish met eireann would say east Cavan in the warnings because association is with Meath is not what we want

dacogawa wrote: »
    I'm out in the Dublin city centre with a load of camera gear Kermit, can't see any charts/radar properly, taking ages to even refresh the forum? should I just dodge into a boozer and wait or call it quits...

Upstream looks better but you'd have to wait. There is some light to moderate stuff heading for the city center now though.

Your call.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Surprisingly heavy here locally in the UK now and light snow most of the evening. Probably more from this now than the entirety of The Beast...

Radar has picked up in the last few minutes though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭esposito

Just heard a clap of thunder in D16. We have thunder snow/graupel !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nothing of interest here in North Kildare today, just some brief showers of snow grains blowing about all day and no more than a patchy dusting out there at the minute. Haven't really been following this event but saw mention that Harmonie was suggesting 40cm+ around here by tomorrow, safe to say we won't be getting anywhere near that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Just drove from Waterford to Dublin via the M9, worst road conditions between Kilkenny North & Carlow South, and again from Kilcullen to M9/M7 merge where it was just a pure whiteout until almost the Naas South exit. It was still passable, but just precarious in a couple of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭J6P

Last 2 or 3 frames of radar have got better for the dublin region anyway.. hopefully 12 hours of this ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

South Laois going to do well tonight I think...A very enjoyable St Patrick's Day on all fronts

Finally north Dublin about to get some action. Cloud has the look of snow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

esposito wrote: »
    Just heard a clap of thunder in D16. We have thunder snow/graupel !

Seen the flash here in sandyford. Thundersnow is the best type of thunder :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Was out moving our delivery vehicle and there was a very bright blue white flash behind me from the seafront direction (E) in Bray. So bright in fact that I thought it was a car with improperly fitted Xenon headlights, but when I turned there were no cars. Waited for the Thunder but it never came.

Who would have thought this thread would be so dead tonight of all nights. Combination of Snow fatigue after the recent event, ME not making a big deal of it and thus not as many people aware...and a lot of sore heads already in bed given the Day it is. :D

Advertisement